Grails - Deep Politics CD (album) cover

DEEP POLITICS

Grails

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Warthur
3 stars On Deep Politics, Grails give us a spacey, at points even trippy journey through the margins of post-rock territory. The crew certainly show an adept command of a wide range of musical styles, incorporating Middle Eastern musical motifs into their music in the opening Future Primitive, opening the title track with a little piano-based minimalism, and so on, and indeed at points I found myself concerned that their tendency to meander around trying a range of different styles out would get the better of them.

At the end, I found Deep Politics to be a reasonably satisfying album for background listening but didn't offer up much in the way of a cohesive artistic vision - it's sufficiently diverse that you could probably con someone into thinking it's a compilation of the work of multiple different post-rock bands rather than a single unit, and whilst that speaks well to Grails' musical versatiity it doesn't quite make me want to come back to the album for regular repeated listens.

Warthur | 3/5 |