Genesis - Genesis 1983-1998 CD (album) cover

GENESIS 1983-1998

Genesis

wehpanzer
3 stars Genesis 1983-1999 is an excellently remasted look at Genesis at their pop prime. Whereas many people are fighting about compression/loudness/B-sides left off, etc., I will discuss what we have, not wish we had.

I think the older albums -Genesis, Invisible Touch - are the most affected by the remastering process. The newer albums do seem to be a little louder, but I don't percieve any substantial differences in the mixes.

But on those two older albums, the differences were dramatic. Hearing them this way definately is like listening to a new album. All the instruments are clearer, more substantial, and mixed better than the originals. My only quibble is with Illegal Alien - this doesn't sound quite right to me, yet I can't put my finger on it. Everything else is phenomenal.

The extra material is quite nice, not quite as good as the 1976-1982 box set though. There is much less concert footage available in the new set, which is what I thought was great about the last set, and what they have is very choppy and a bit disappointing. The interviews are excellent with all the main participants contributing.

On the whole, If you are a Genesis fan, buy this set. If you are just a casual fan, just pick up the individual albums that you like in this format.

wehpanzer | 3/5 |