Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth CD (album) cover

Rick Wakeman

5 stars My goodness! This album is THE best example of prog extravaganza. It is the most pompous piece of work you can listen to. And I mean it in the most affectionate way. What we have here is nothing short of brilliance and genius.

Rick Wakemans solo efforts are quite clear, in my mind, some of prog's best work, covering history (Wives of Henry VIII), myth (Arthur) and fiction (Journey to the centre of the Earth). The last one is the best of them. Musically it's spellbinding in every sense but it's the complete work that is so breathtaking, with it's symphonic orchestra and the brilliant, utterly dramatic narration.

Two long tracks only. You won't ever need any more. I happen to own the CD-edition containing a DVD of one of the shows and it's quite something to behold, the master himself behind his huge walls of keyboards and electronics. Always a favorite of mine, Journey to the centre of the Earth always delivers, bringing a huge smile to my face. Utterly epic!

GruvanDahlman | 5/5 |