Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

5 stars I bought this LP on my 17th Birthday as it was released. My very first impression was that it was not as interesting as Pawn Hearts. Then I listened again and again. This record is awesome stunning superb a masterpiece. Only Four cuts but not a dud in sight. In fact this was recorded pretty much as it sounds with very few overdubs and additions. This helps to give this record a live and vital feel really in your face. The Undercover Man starts side one gently and thoughtfully, Scorched Earth is the first dark rocker and once it gets started it leaves one breathless. Arrow has a great lyric and changes a plenty and is followed by the excellent " The Sleepwalkers" this tune is divided into two parts and really really rocks, Dave Jaxon has a monster solo during this number. This certainly represented a shift in direction and much of the experimentation is gone in favour of excellent dark rock. This is also the best VDGG recording of the second trilogy and remains a real favorite of mine.
burgersoft777 | 5/5 |