Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep CD (album) cover

BRIEF NOCTURNES AND DREAMLESS SLEEP

Spock's Beard

ianj1234
4 stars THE BEARD IS BACK!

What everybody has been preaching, is true. Spock's Beard has been one of my all-time favorite modern progressive rock bands, and this year they have struck 2013, with an album that reaches back to the Neal Morse era, while sounding modern. (Neal co-wrote 2 songs on this album.) Ted Leonard from the band, "Enchant," really brings himself into the music, and adds a very nice symphonic, and almost spiritual/romantic sound to the band. And the new drummer, sounds very good, and has no trouble filling Nick's shoes, on this album.

01. Hiding Out - A very good opening to the album, with some great guitar playing, and great keyboards by Ryo, very tight playing. I particularly love the chorus in this song. 7.5/10

02. I Know Your Secret - This is probably being the weakest song on the album, but still not bad. The guitar line is very catchy, and memorable. Alan plays an eccentric guitar solo on this one. 6/10

03. A Treasure Abandoned - This song is Spock's Beard v.03! I like the sound on this song. And I really like the chorus on this song. And there is a small vocal break on this song, that is just so catchy, and emotional, (even though it's very brief,) And very cool keyboard melodies, that reminded me of Yes or Kansas a little. My only issue with this song, is that I think it's alittle dragged out. 7/10

04. Submerged - Spock's Beard's first song to hit the charts! ... Or atleast that's what I want to say! this song is so catchy, with great verses, and a really good chorus. I love the keyboard melody on this song, it's very original. And check out the groove going at 3:25. I 8/10

05. Afterthoughts (thoughts part 3) - Ohhhhh yeah man! This is the song that all us Beard fans have been waiting for, (haha, another song i'll get too. ) With Neal Morse releasing Thoughts part 5 last year, I couldn't wait to hear this one. This is the first song Neal Morse has wrote with the band in over 10 years! This song is just prog gold, much like the other songs in the Thought's series. This song has a great riff, with great vocal melodies, and solo's that'll make you drool. I love some of the lyrics, and had a small chuckle when he said, "on third thought, you shouldn't open that box I sent you." Great! 8/10

06. Something Very Strange - This song is just absolutely amazing. Great Intro with an organ line that reminds me of Classic ELP or something. And a vocoder voice in the beginning. This song is just so good, I don't even know what to write. It builds itself on a melody much like, "Jaws Of Heaven" On the previous album. I know I am sounding like a broken record here, but I really like the chorus on this song too. There is an instrumental build up in the middle that builds up to another chorus that is just outstanding! You'll hear it, Ted screams, "SOMETHING VERY STRANGE!!!" It's just sounds so great. 9/10

07. Waiting For Me - This is the second song that Neal co wrote, and it's the last on the album, and man... This brought me back to their "V" album. I swear, they are the modern Yes! This is the Spock's Beard that I have been craving since 2001. Pounding drums, energetic Bass lines, great organs blazing through the song, fantastic synth lines and strings everywhere, crazy guitars. A review here said that this song ranks up there with, "At The End Of The Day." And I definitely agree. This is such an uplifting song. Check out the guitar solo in this song! WOW! And when the synth solo's fly in it is just.. Incredible. My only problem with the song similar to, "Crack The Big Sky" Is that I think they could have done a little more with the ending, I loved the Bells that were ringing, and I was just like, "NO! DON'T FADE OUT, KEEP GOING!" hahaha. 9.5/10

Well, this has been a fantastic entry in the bands discography! Much like the last Flower Kings Album, "Banks Of Eden" I think this is just brilliant.

7.5+6+7+8+8+9+9.5 divided by 7: = 7.8 rounded: 8 which is about 4.2 stars. 4 star album.

ianj1234 | 4/5 |