Motorpsycho - Motorpsycho And Ståle Storløkken: The Death Defying Unicorn CD (album) cover

MOTORPSYCHO AND STÅLE STORLØKKEN: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN

Motorpsycho

Argonaught
5 stars I have to admit that there is very little I like about this album; I don't get the album art .. the band name smacks of an imitation and the album title comes across as OTT pretentious.

I don't even like the predominant musical style, but I still recommend this album as an absolute 5-star, shining example of what IMO "prog" should be like in 2012.

To me, "prog" implies progressing, that is venturing from Point A to Point B to Point C, as opposed to carefully trotting around Point B in order not to disappoint the Point B - worshiping crowd. My, The Unicorn is certain a journey, taking us to the Points X, Y and Z that I am not sure I have dreamed of before.

By the way, there is almost "too much" musical content in The Unicorn. Looking at the 2012- early 2013 crop of high-ranking novelties by the great bands, I have to say that you can take the musical substance that went into the creation of Unicorn and make out of it The Raven, Storm Corrosion, a good chunk of Viljans Öga, and there still will be enough material left for a couple of ambient and movie soundtrack albums.

All in all, if you are interested in investing 84 minutes of your time into listening to a very demanding (and equally rewarding) piece of music, The Unicorn may be a good choice.

Argonaught | 5/5 |