Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse CD (album) cover

MONDAY MORNING APOCALYPSE

Evergrey

The T
1 stars Being a completionist is sometimes a bad thing, bad for your wallet but also, as in this case, for your ears and mind. I had the two previous Evergrey albums (Inner Circle and Recreation Day), then I got In search of Truth, and when their new album hit the shelves, I forgot to read some reviews first as I thought this band was a proven thing. But just before listening to the record for the first time, I read a review in another website that really bashed this album; I got scared, but I kept on believing that, after such quality, powerful, progressive-metal records as the two preceding this one, it was impossible for a band to fall so low as that review stated it did. Then I listened to the cd; then I did it again; a few weeks after, I tried for the third time, trying to convince myself I was sleepy or something the first two times; but then, I finally gave up...

...this really is a bad, bad album, almost crappy. Truly.

Where is the Evergrey of such powerful, almost majestic songs like "Recreation Day" or " A touch of blessing" (their best song ever)? Where is the well crafted, multi-layered structures I heard before? Where is the keyboard player?

This album is not progressive metal by any means. It's made up of repetitive, boring, simple, mundane mtv-like rock songs. Every song in this record is shorter than 4 minutes but a couple, which, by the way, are longer not because of interesting, complex solos or instrumental passages but due to dragging, mind-numbing noises or riffs. The riffs in this album are so vulgar, not one original one, not one. Edlund, a good singer, yells more than sings, but for me the worst aspects of this opus are this three:

-no musical build up to great choruses Well, there's hardly any chorus you will remember.

-no instrumental passages, no musical textures, the simplest harmonies.

-no keyboard. Remember, again, "A touch of blessing"? Remember how the little ostinato played in the keys enhanced the main riff of the song's verse? Well, all of that is gone.

The worst part is, there's not a memorable song, not one. The title track happens to be the best (or least bad) maybe only because is the only attempt at writing a decent chorus in the whole cd.

And the lyrics.... After dealing with interesting subjects we get things like: "inside out going outside in"... Do they think they sound smart by doing that play of words that I've heard 100 times before?

I hope it's just a slip and not a fall for this talented band. Their previous outing was almost in the threshold of greatness, but now I think they tried to get into MTV. Yes, they really thought they could make millions. They even did a photo session dressed like that.

In the end is originality what this album lacks the most (besides melodies, choruses, solos, etc). They tried so hard to sound like mainstream hard-rock bands, they forgot what is that that they do well; mainstream bands at least make songs you remember after a while.

Not recommended for: every prog-lover or good music lover

Recommended for:....probably only to someone that tried to get into mtv's website and got here by mistake...I don't know how you can do that, but if Evergrey can come up with this kind of album, ther must be someone who can do that, too.

The T | 1/5 |