The Locust - Plague Soundscapes CD (album) cover

PLAGUE SOUNDSCAPES

The Locust

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

VOTOMS
5 stars I'm always looking for something new, something different, and this is a very underground band IMO. The Locust music is very progressive. Different from many grindcore and extreme technical metal bands, their sound is complex, totally avant-garde, dissonant and full of strange tempo changes and technical/funny keyboard riffs. This band, and specially this album, defines the word/sub-genre "powerviolence". It's totally innovative, and even who have no pleasure in this kind of sound, should listen to it once.

Something special at Plague Soundscapes is the drum-leading style of composition. Gabe Serbian throw up impossible beat sequences and the band random acts of synth-based passages always fits perfectly unique. The short songs are a fistful of 'wtf?' riffs, like a punch in the face.

The vocals are hell. At first, it sounds like some kind of random sick screaming, but when I got the album copy I could read the lyrics and, it's still hard to understand where you are at the song. The track 18 ("Can We Get Another Nail...") seems a weird instrumental song, but you will find lyrics at the booklet for it. The guitars are something like Gorguts' Obscura or a very agressive Voivod. And of course, I love the keyboard playing. It's insane.

About the album concept, it is nonsense. I pretty lmao reading the lyrics. Stuff like "The chicken bit it, The foreskin knew it" and "Hemorrhoid is a two lane highway" are very common here. And you knew about these guys, check any pic of their shows, they ARE locusts, wearing ridiculous awesome outfits, or underpants and kamen rider masks.

If you like this album, you should try Holy Molar, Gorguts - Obscura, Voivod, ELP Tarkus, Avant- Garde/Powerviolencebands, maybe some Sonic Youth too, and of course, more about The Locust.

VOTOMS | 5/5 |