Tai Shan - Iceflower CD (album) cover

ICEFLOWER

Tai Shan

Second Life Syndrome
3 stars This is a great little instrumental album from Tai Shan of FInland. It is quite different from most instrumental albums, as it doesn't seek to impress with bombast, riffing, or technique. Instead, it presents a wonderful mix of symphonic prog combined with a little neo-prog and jazz.

The musical is well-composed, and performed very well. While I want to give this album a better rating, I can't help but feel a little complacent about it, though. The first nine tracks are nice, but not much else. They are well done, even beautiful. Yet, they are just kind of...there.

The final track on the album, the title track "Iceflower", is a completely different story. It represents the perfect fusion of all the elements that Tai Shan wished to include in their music. Everything comes together, and we get great keys, some awesome sax solos, flutes, and a wonderful symphonic rock atmosphere. It is one of the better tracks I've heard this year!

Like I said, this album is nice. It's pretty and done well, but nothing new or spectacular really happens. "Iceflower" is the one exception, however, as all the elements combine perfect here. Good? Yes. Essential or even great? Besides the final track, no.

Second Life Syndrome | 3/5 |