RPWL - God Has Failed  CD (album) cover

kev rowland
3 stars The first I had heard of both of this band and label was when I received an e-mail from Artur in Poland raving over it. I was soon in contact with label boss Dirk Jacob, and the debut album from RPWL is now on the player. Actually, although this is their debut they have risen out of the ashes of another band, Violet District, which I have reviewed in these pages before. Digging through the files, I see that it was Artur who put me onto them originally as well, some four years ago.

With three of the four members of the band having played together since 1992, it is no surprise that they have a good rapport with each other. The music is quite dreamy and reflective, yet always with lots of melody and ideas. It is easy to see why Artur was so impressed, as the music is full of ideas. Sometimes there are elements of late Seventies Genesis, while at others it is Pink Floyd or even The Beatles. Most of the music slowly builds, as opposing to impressing with intricate speed runs up and down scales.

This is music that can be enjoyed without hesitation, music that is direct and allow the listener to enjoy it for its' own sake.

Originally appeared in Feedback #60