White Willow - Sacrament CD (album) cover

White Willow

kev rowland
4 stars This is the third album by Norwegian act White Willow, but is the first that I have heard. I know that the debut 'Ignis Fatuus' caused quite a stir when it came out in 1995, but I never got around to getting it. I am now wondering what I have missed as this is a prog album of some depth. Vocalist Sylvia Erichsen is similar to Annie Haslam, and the music comes across as a mixture of King Crimson/Jethro Tull and even Gryphon. There is a lot of space in the music, and although there are three keyboard players in the band the music is still very guitar based.

Lots of acoustic guitar (and as the press release states that this is their heaviest release I wonder what the others were like), and reflection but this is not New Age at all. Jacob Holm-Lupo (who provides much of the material, as well as playing guitars /keys) harmonises well with Sylvia, and songs such as "The Last Rose Of Summer" are a sheer delight. Definitely one to savour.

Originally appeared in Feedback #60