Comedy Of Errors - Fanfare & Fantasy CD (album) cover

Comedy Of Errors

4 stars It's taken some time to get to know Fanfare & Fantasy before I felt sure of how to review it. Great sounds, incredible instrumentalists, pretty good vocalist(s), even okay lyrics, and fair production (the mixes often feel like separate tracks, the music lacks a cohesive "weave" or blending of the sounds). Where I find serious fault with this album--and all of its songs--is in the delivery: Each song sounds and feels like a whole bunch of ideas that have been patched together and not always very seemlessly, smoothly or pleasantly. Each time I've listened to F&F songs either individually or within the entire album I come away remembering nothing. No melody sticks with me, no message, no particular passages--and during the listening I find myself thinking things like, "how impressive the soloists are," "how familiar this sound, riff or passage is," or "how curious this change is/how awkwardly this flows." While I like all of the songs, I have no favorites--there is none that stands out or that I will keep on my Best of 2013 playlists. A 3.5 star album I'll rate up for the talent of the band's musicianship. Here's hoping these talented folk are able to blend their talents and sounds better into more cohesive, tapestry-like songs in the future.
BrufordFreak | 4/5 |