Magma - Retrospekt´ẁ III CD (album) cover

Rainer Rein
4 stars I bought this LP from Brussels some weeks ago with Retrospective 1 & 2 (Univers Zero's fantastic concert took place on the same day there). On this Retrospective 3 we can hear three quite different compositions. The first one - "Retrovision" - is a side- long "retrospective-medley" from Attahk-album - with some more-gospel-elements - maybe not one of the most hypnotic tune of Magma but still listenable... But the second side of this LP includes in my opinion two absolute masterpieces. Firstly just another very good version of "Hhai" - including "superlatives"-needing conversations between Didier Lockwood's violin and Benoit Widemann's synthesizer. And vocal parts are by Christian Vander (Klaus Blasquiz didn't take part here). For "encore" we have the greatest pleasure to listen one quite short "ballade-like" tune called ""La" Dawotsin" - including only vocal parts, bass guitar, piano and some "fragile" percussion - only compliments for this beauty! My rating because of "Retronision" (3 stars) and because of "Hhai" and ""La" Dawotsin" (5 stars) can so be almost solid four stars.
Rainer Rein | 4/5 |