Elephant9 - DodoVoodoo CD (album) cover

DODOVOODOO

Elephant9

Argonaught
5 stars This band has surely elephanted their way into my jazz fusion collection .. which I most enthusiastically welcome.

I will attempt to avoid repeating what the previous reviewers postulated about Elephant9 and Dodovoodoo, as far as their musical prowess and the free-flowing jamming power of grand proportions. These are pretty obvious, and therefore don't really need to be advertised any more than they have been.

I am not certain what the title is meant to represent, but the music itself is the finest - without exaggeration - the finest representation of the original 1970s jazz fusion movement. From before some of the definitive fusion figures either drifted towards the "world music", or slipped back into the safe happiness of the 1960s post-bop, cool and modal jazz.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with post-bop and modal jazz (matter of fact, I both own and listen to a lot of music of this kind), but I was kind of missing the exuberant electricity of the early (original?) fusion, a-la 1970s Mahavishnu Orchestra.

*** some stuff removed after reconsidering :) ***

Glad to give DodoVoodoo 4.5 stars .. rounded to 5 stars!

Argonaught | 5/5 |