Enchant - Blink Of An Eye CD (album) cover

kev rowland
4 stars I can still remember how impressed I was when I heard the debut Enchant album, 'A Blueprint For The World' but that was many years ago now and as I had also been suitably impressed by their last album 'Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10' I was intrigued to see what their sixth studio album would bring. The band is built around the song-writing and guitar playing of Doug Ott and the wonderful vocals of Ted Leonard. Put them together with bassist Ed Platt and new drummer Sean Flanegan and the result is Spock's Beard meeting Kansas and an album that is superb.

It is very American, but as they are then that should be okay, and this is a highly-crafted rock album that has almost as many influences in the AOR field as it does in the prog scene. It is not prog metal in the same vein as Threshold, more a prog rock act with the emphasis on rock. There are plenty of hooks and melodies, along with strong soaring vocals that are very reminiscent of Steve Walsh (no bad thing) or Steve Perry.

It is an album that all prog fans that enjoy melodic music to listen to and enjoy (as opposed to some of the cutting edge stuff that is like having teeth pulled) should discover immediately if not sooner.

Originally appeared in Feedback #69, Aug 02