Nova - Wings of Love  CD (album) cover

WINGS OF LOVE

Nova

The Owl
1 stars I have to offer a dissenting opinion of this Nova disc. For me, it's just pure cheese-whiz fusion-lite dripping with dippy Sri-Chinmoy nonsense.

It's not that Nova aren't good musicians (they are VERY capable and competent players), but it's the material that just doesn't cut it. Like other reviewers have mentioned, it does have a kind of Santana-esque vibe with some faintly Mahavishnu-esque ornamentations, but nothing that really jumps out and grabs you by the throat. If anything, this leans far more towards pop with 9th chords than it does fusion, and I would dare say to even call it prog is a bit of a stretch, as it simply rehashes already war-worn cliches and doesn't dare to venture out of a comfortable little box. The instrumental "Marshall Dillon" is the only thing that even threatens to get interesting. Sorry folks, I just can;t get behind this rather bland affair.

The Owl | 1/5 |