Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) CD (album) cover

THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING (AND OTHER STORIES)

Steven Wilson

pfloyd
2 stars 2.5 stars.

I will say this, I am definitely not a fan Steven Wilson work, but this was a better album than I expected. Overall though, the album seemed generic to me. There are some cool jams here and there, but nothing especially unique or that I haven't heard in other prog albums hundreds of times before.

Like I said, there are some cool moments, like the fast paced openings to "luminol" and "the holy drinker" and some pretty good piano and flute work, but even those tend to drag on. The vocal sections are dull. The songs themselves don't really seem to go anywhere. There are some decent melodies, but they are pretty underwhelming in the end. Lots a filler made me lose intrest.

This is not a bad album, but it just feels so stale. There wasn't any wow moments, just lots of cliche prog tricks which don't really do much for me anymore. The songs lacked any catchy melodies or riffs. Its has a decent spacey atmosphere to it, with some shifts in time signatures and some boring guitar solos that sound like a poor David Gilmour. Nothing special here, sorry.

pfloyd | 2/5 |