THIS TIME AROUND: LIVE IN TOKYO '75

CD1
1. Burn (8:38)
2. Lady Luck (3:31)
3. Love Child (5:00)
4. Gettin' Tighter (16:52)
5. Smoke on the water / Georgia on My Mind (10:14)
6. Wild Dogs (6:05)

Total time 50:25

CD2
1. I Need Love (5:47)
2. Soldier of Fortune (1:47)
3. Jon Lord Solo (9:43)
4. Lazy / Drum Solo (13:34)
5. This Time Around (3:38)
6. Owed to G (3:29)
7. Tommy Bolin Guitar Solo (7:09)
8. Drifter (5:55)
9. You Keep on Moving (6:38)
10. Stormbringer (10:08)

- David Coverdale / vocals
- Glenn Hughes / bass guitar & vocals
- Jon Lord / keyboards
- Ian Paice / drums

2CD Purple Records PUR 321D (2000)

Thanks to chipiron for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75 Music

Machine HeadMachine Head
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
BurnBurn
Rhino 2005
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
The Complete Albums 1970-1976The Complete Albums 1970-1976
Rhino Records 2013
In Rock: Anniversary EditionIn Rock: Anniversary Edition
Import · Remastered
EMI 1995
deep purple hush/one more rainy day tetragrammaton records 1503 vg/vg+ US $30.00 Buy It Now 30m 5s
DEEP PURPLE: Hush rock vinyl US $10.00 Buy It Now 37m 41s
IAN GILLAN[DEEP PURPLE]-CHERKAZOO AND OTHER STORIES [NEW] US $7.99 Buy It Now 46m 26s
1998 Deep Purple Smoke On The Water Music CD Album Polygram Records 10 Tracks US $4.99 Buy It Now 48m 38s
DEEP PURPLE Japan 1976 Version 600 Yen Marc NM 7"45 FIREBALL US $19.99 Buy It Now 50m 21s
Deep Purple When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 58m 21s
Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" (Vintage Vinyl LP,1984) US $4.95 Buy It Now 59m 34s
DEEP PURPLE PERFECT STRANGER MERCURY RE-ISSUE LP / RECORD US $9.99 [0 bids]
1h
Deep Purple * 24 Carat * Excellent * U.K. Made * 12" 33 RPM US $4.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are ! Sealed Cassette Tape Rush Led Zeppelin US $4.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE: The Best of (Rock & Pop Scepter CTN-18010 VG+ Vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
DEEP PURPLE Now What+1 bonus track CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 26m
"Classic Rock" "Deep Purple" "Shades of Deep Purple" "Rare LP" US $12.99 [0 bids]
Lot 2 hard rock 7" DEEP PURPLE Kentucky Woman Hush EXC Tetragrammaton US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 29m
DEEP PURPLE: 24 Carat Purple UK pressing rock vinyl US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
DEEP PURPLE "Machine Head" Warner Bros BS-2607 Gatefold, Lyric Sheet 1973 US $6.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE: Who Do We Think We Are (rock vinyl LP BS-2678) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Billy Ward & Dominoes Stardust / Deep Purple 45 NM CR-6736 Canada US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 36m
DEEP PURPLE - 1990-1996 (IMPORT) NEW CD US $33.84 Buy It Now 1h 38m
[2008] Deep Purple "Fire Ball" Mini-LP SHM-CD Remastered US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 4/30/01 JIMI HENDRIX, DEEP PURPLE, RIDE RIDER, CARS, BAND US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
HARD GOODS WB Sampler ROCK 2XLP WB Orig Inners V/A Deep Purple KISS US $5.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE LISTEN LEARN READ ON / RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH ORIGINAL 45 SLEEVE! US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
DEEP PURPLE - Made In Japan 1st issue US 8TR tape w/ sleeve Double Play US $8.00 [0 bids]
VG+ 1973 Deep Purple Made In Japan 2 LP Albums US $7.99 [1 bids]
VG++ 1976 Deep Purple Made In Europe LP Album US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Shades Of Deep Purple Mono Purple Vinyl LP RSD 2014 LP NEW US $37.43 Buy It Now 2h 3m
ROGER GLOVER little.. 7" AUTOGRAPHED w john lawton ronnie james dio deep purple US $20.00 [2 bids]
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water" (edit) 7" vinyl 45 rpm mint w/sleeve, 1972 US $6.95 [0 bids]
TOP RaRe Import DEEP PURPLE Powerhouse Unique Cvr 1978 Demo Cassette Paper Lbls US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Lot of 2 Deep Purple LPs: Shades of Deep Purple & The Book of Talesyn Import US $4.99 [1 bids]
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS deep purple 7" ATCO USA US $20.00 [0 bids]
VG++ 1975 Deep Purple Come Taste The Band LP Album US $6.49 [2 bids]
VG+ 1973 Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are! LP Album w/lyric sheet US $5.99 [1 bids]
Machine Head by Deep Purple (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $0.99 [0 bids]
RAINBOW kill the king 7" LIVE dio blackmore deep purple black sabbath US $20.00 [0 bids]
Cassette Audio Single Whitesnake Fool for your Loving Geffen WEA Canada 92 27154 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 9/13/04 WHO, ELO, QUEEN, GREG KIHN, DEEP PURPLE, CREAM US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
DEEP PURPLE LP "MACHINE HEAD" + EP "HIGHWAY STAR" JAPAN US $35.00 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Deep Purple - 24 Carat Purple JAPAN 1st Press CD 18P2-3133 OBI US $10.50 [6 bids]
WHITESNAKE Slide It In CD Geffen 1984/1990 Deep Purple Hard Rock / Metal US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Lot of 3 DEEP PURPLE Cassette Tapes When We Rock...We Roll/Perfect Strangers US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Roger Glover Elements LP 1978 US pressing Deep Purple US $15.20 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Take It:Sessions '63-'68 [Gold Disc]/Ritchie Blackmore /Deep Purple/Rainbow/new US $50.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
JLT/Joe Lynn TurnerRainbow/Deep Purple/Malmsteen.new cd US $11.45 Buy It Now 2h 58m
The Battle Rages On by Deep Purple (CD, Jul-1993, Giant (USA)) US $6.90 Buy It Now 3h
DEEP PURPLE: 30: Very Best Of: CD NEW US $13.37 Buy It Now 3h
DEEP PURPLE Last Concert In Japan lp vinyl NM 1977 German Import US $9.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE 2012 + IAN GILLIAN AUS Concert Tour Posters HUGE 102x142 pink floyd US $53.65 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Smoke on the Water - A tribute to Deep Purple APCY-8204 CD Japan +OBI US $19.80 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Deep Purple "Fireball" US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Deep Purple in Rock by Deep Purple 2009 Audio Fidelity Gold CD Limited #1341 HTF US $54.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Deep Purple " The Book of Taliesyn" 1969 12" Album NM Tetragrammaton T-107 US $12.50 [0 bids]
(DEEP PURPLE -Made in Japan: Live)-true institution of hard rock-F4-2xLP US $26.82 Buy It Now 4h 3m
DEEP PURPLE 33 LP record double gatefold album PASSAGES 33rpm disc 1972 Warner US $5.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE (1968) JAPAN CD WPCR-861 US $25.19 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Cassettes Mixed Lot Rock Classic Rock Deep Purple Eric Clapton scorpions Roxy US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
(RAINBOW -On Stage)-Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore-F4-2xLP US $26.82 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Deep Purple RECORD LOT NM- Shades Of 1968 VG Machine Head 1972 Burn 1974 1980 US $79.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE ROCK ICONS STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 2 US $6.26 Buy It Now 5h
DEEP PURPLE ROCK ICONS STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 5 US $6.26 Buy It Now 5h
TOMMY BOLIN RECORD private eyes LP james gang Deep Purple VgVg SHIPS US FREE '76 US $16.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
DEEP PURPLE BURN W 2766 VINYL LP 1974 ORIG PRESS PLAYS GREAT COVERDALE VG++/VG!! US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
DEEP PURPLE - INTRODUCING: DEEP PURPLE - NEW CD US $6.58 Buy It Now 5h 33m
= DEEP PURPLE, Progression CD excellent condition US $4.59 Buy It Now 5h 37m
DEEP PURPLE japan mail order only '76 LP sony family club unique edit POKORA6001 US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
DEEP PURPLE ROCK ICONS STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS 4 US $6.26 Buy It Now 5h 55m
DEEP PURPLE-Come Hell or High Water DVD-Region Free-PAL-Brand New-Still Sealed US $13.37 Buy It Now 6h
DEEP PURPLE live MADE IN JAPAN New Zealand copy vg+ US $34.87 Buy It Now 6h 37m
DEEP PURPLE / ALICE COOPER - Milton Keynes - 2006 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.34 Buy It Now 6h 38m
FANDANGO - S/T - 1977 Vinyl Lp./ VG+/ DEEP PURPLE~RAINBOW/ Hard Rock AOR US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 43m
LOWENBRAU ROCKS: GREEK ONLY 2LP COMP Grand Funk Deep Purple Scorpions Whitesnake US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Who Do We Think We Are 1973 LP BS 2678 EX US $10.95 Buy It Now 6h 59m
DEEP PURPLE ANTHOLOGY 2 CD FAT BOX 27 TRACKS EMI HUSH BLACK NIGHT FIREBALL US $14.34 Buy It Now 7h
NAZARETH-SNAZ DOUBLE LIVE LP WITH POSTER,LIKE DEEP PURPLE,AC/DC,URIAH HEEP,KISS US $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
GARY MOORE-BACK ON THE STREETS LP LIKE THIN LIZZY,RAINBOW,RUSH,DEEP PURPLE,DEMON US $15.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
3 ROCK ITEMS -DEEP PURPLE-BEST LP,LED ZEPPELIN-BEST LP AND IMMIGRANT SONG/HEY EP US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
DEEP PURPLE-FIREBALL 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION CD.LIKE RAINBOW,THIN LIZZY,BU US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
2 CLASSIC ROCK LPS OF TOMMY BOLIN, LIKE DEEP PURPLE,LED ZEPPELIN,WHITESNAKE US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD - CD - NEW - US $14.28 Buy It Now 7h 15m
DEEP PURPLE-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.88 Buy It Now 7h 47m
DEEP PURPLE CASSETTES X 8 US $17.93 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Deep Purple - 3 CD US $53.34 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Rock - 1970 EMI / Harvest SHVL 777 Vinyl US $24.47 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Deep Purple -Now What ?! (2013)CD( Sealed) US $8.49 Buy It Now 8h 42m
DEEP PURPLE "Stormbringer-Love don't mean.." RARE 7" PROMO ITALY for JUKE BOX US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 44m
Deep Purple " Perfect Stranger " Malaysia Juxebox Label Promo 1970's Single US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 47m
JOE LYNN TURNER - Live in Germany (CD 2008) DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW YNGWIE MALMSTEEN US $15.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
DEEP PURPLE "Might just take your life" -RARE ITALIAN HOLECOVER 7"PROMO for JB US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN BLACK NIGHT (LIVE VERSION) 7" 2014 RSD NEW MINT US $21.19 Buy It Now 9h 24m
DEEP PURPLE US LP Machine Head w/ Lyrics Poster Insert US $29.77 Buy It Now 9h 52m
DEEP PURPLE "HUSH" MONSTER ROCK SOUND LISTEN! US $11.40 Buy It Now 9h 58m
Deep Purple - Total Abandon [CD New] US $11.48 Buy It Now 10h 4m
DEEP PURPLE: Made In Japan (2WS 2701) (Warner Bros.-1973) VG+/VG+ US $8.75 Buy It Now 10h 11m
DEEP PURPLE - 1990-1996 - NEW CD US $25.84 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Deep Purple Battle rages on Japan 1993 CD /obi BVCP-650 US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
DEEP PURPLE - IN CONCERT 1970/1972 - NEW CD BOXSET US $8.40 Buy It Now 10h 27m
DEEP PURPLE DEEPEST PURPLE THE VERY BEST OF GERMAN VINYL ISSUE US $13.03 Buy It Now 10h 31m
DEEP PURPLE DEEPEST PURPLE THE VERY BEST OF YUGOSLAVIAN VINYL ISSUE US $16.29 Buy It Now 10h 31m
DEEP PURPLE STORMBRINGER RUSSIAN SINGLE SLEEVE US $11.40 Buy It Now 10h 32m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(12%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(25%)

DEEP PURPLE This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75 reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars So this is a first review for a the second time I am posting for Purple work (first one being for "Days May Come And Days May Go "). I understand nobody reviewed them before. They do not belong at all to the best of their repertoire, but since I am a die-hard Purple fan (you might have noticed this already), here we are.

This was the last Mark IV concert in Japan. There are two versions for this live album. A short version called " Last Concert In Japan" and an extended one called "This Time Around". The concert was recorded at the mytical Budo-Kan hall in Tokyo (on December 15th, 1975). The difference being that "This Time Around" will feature the entire Tokyo concert while "Last Concert In Japan" will only render half of the performance. Needless to say that the love story between Purple and the Japaneese audience was at its peak after the glorious and memorable MIJ. Coverdale saluting the audience with some Japaneese words which is always nice and a proof of respect.

The opener is still "Burn". Don't get confused : although the timing shows 8'38" for the track, the band fine tunes his equipment for more than two minutes, so the live version has the same lenght as the studio one. This version is excellent. Tommy being really good. Out of the seventeen tracks, seven come from "Come Taste The Band".

This is just normal since it was their last studio album at the time. However, there are some very lenghtly renditions like "Gettin' Tighter" which will last for about seventeen minutes (FYI, the original is 3'35" long) and quite boring actually. "Smoke" version is one of the best ever recorded by the Purple (at least during the offical track). The last four minutes though are a cover for "Georgia Of My Mind" and I have never understood why they needed to append a blues song to "Smoke" (we all know of course that Glenn is a great blues singer but still...).

Next track is a Tommy Bolin song from his solo album "Wild Dogs". Not bad, not great. The Tribute to Bolin goes on, but this time with a very good song of his within the Purple configuration : "I Need Love".

You'd better skip the next track "Soldier Of Fortune" and go straight to "Lazy". This bluesy track has never reached such power. Although it was a Jon's highlight during the Made In Japan tour (I saw them live in March 1973 in Belgium), we get here an Ian drum solo (not on par with his great ones from the MIJ era, but still good). The traditional drum solo switching from numbers according the Marks : "The Mule" for Mark II, "You Fool No One" for Mark III, and "Lazy" for Mark IV. The mini suite "This Time Around / Owed to G" was a weak track from "Come Taste The Band" and could have been skipped from this tour. Next one is a Bolin guitar solo like Purple's audience wanted to hear. Again, it might be great if you are in the audience, but if you are not they are quite boring and useless (IMO).

After those seven solo minutes, the band comes together for "Drifter" : a quite decent blues song from Hughes/Coverdale. Another highlight of these concerts was of course "You Keep On Moving". The best track from the Mark IV era (as far as I am concerned). In the spoken intro, David thanks the audience about the way Japaneese people has received them. This version is great. Next track is "Stormbringer" with a live rendition of more than ten minutes (the original being just over four). This is not at all a highlight.

"Highway Star" closes the album. During Mark II & III it was the opener. From Mark IV onwards it will be the closer for most of their concerts, and this for the decades to come. As I have previously said, one of the best Purple song, EVER. But his version is far from being a good one. This album is too jam and too "Come Taste The Band" oriented (but again, since it is Mark IV's sole studio album I understand. It is just that this is not the one I prefer). Two stars for this rather weak live album.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#106405) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 07, 2007

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars Ok, now this is just waaaaaaay too Spinal Tap-ish for comfort. If you're not familiar with the circumstances that led to the release of this particular album, allow me to fill you in. After Bolin died in 1976, effectively forcing the breakup of Deep Purple (they'd broken up well beforehand, but his death made them changing their mind pretty unlikely), somebody decided that a good posthumous cash-in would be a live album featuring this particular lineup. Since Made in Japan had been such a huge critical and commercial smash just a few years earlier, it was also decided that the title of such an album should include the word "Japan" in it. Thus Last Concert in Japan came into existence, and it would have been a reasonable inclusion into the Purple discography were it not for a few factors that have caused many hardcore Purple fans to consider it the band's all-time low point. As legend has it, Tommy Bolin took a fairly bad hit of heroin a little while before this concert, and as a result temporarily lost all feeling in his left (fretting) arm. He had regained some feeling by the time the concert began, but not all feeling. Needless to say, this had a bit of a negative effect on his guitar playing, and in turn brought down the quality of the whole band's performance. Add in the fact that the sound quality on the final release was regarded as absolutely terrible, and that those portions of the performance that made the final release were edited and arranged in a way that allowed for almost no decent flow, and you can see why this was (and is) considered a total disaster.

So naturally somebody decided that what the world needed was for one of the most poorly regarded live albums ever to be remastered and expanded. This Time Around is that 2-CD expansion, and while the sound quality is decent enough, it also shows quite clearly that the main problems weren't cosmetic, but rather the fact that the gig was mediocre at best. There are actually a few relatively high points, but there are so many embarrassing moments that I can't listen to most of this without fidgeting. In terms of Spinal Tap-level absurdity, I would be hardpressed to think of anything more absurd than the band's segue out of the funky "I Need Love" (from CTTB) into "Soldier of Fortune," which makes the latter just seem even more ridiculous than before. That said, a very close second would be the band following its (absolutely wretched) rendition of "Smoke on the Water" with Glenn singing "Georgia on my Mind."

And sheesh, if you thought there was a lot of wanking on Japan (where it was awesome), you'll be amazed at the amount here. Lessee, we have a 9:43 John Lord solo (in which he includes an instrumental version of "Woman from Tokyo," which is actually kinda cool). We have "Lazy" culminating in ANOTHER seven minute drum solo. We have seven minutes of a Tommy Bolin guitar solo, and given that he couldn't really feel his fretting hand, I'm sure you can imagine just how tedious that is.

And then there's David. Lessee, he tries to get the crowd going in the beginning with screams that show him trying to do an imitation of Gillan - a noble effort, and the crowd buys it, but I sure don't. He repeatedly says "Domo Arigato" to the crowd, which I know is probably some sort of Japanese greeting, but you'd better believe that my brain instantly thinks, "Mr. Roboto." He doesn't bother to sing the third verse of "Smoke." In "Highway Star," instead of, "She's got a moving mouth, body control and everything," he sings, "She's got big fat knockers, big fat knockers and everything." And, of course, there's the aforementioned "I Need Love"/"Soldier of Fortune" segue.

Still, for all of that, there are some positives to be found. "Burn" is a great opener as usual, despite Lord's organ being the loudest instrument when playing the glorious riff. "Stormbringer" also kicks as much ass as ever (just like on Made in Europe, it's helped by the keyboard tones not sucking like on the original), even though ten minutes is a bit excessive. Also, a lot of the "CTTB" band material is extremely likable here - "Love Child"'s opening phased riff is much more impressive here than before, and this 16:52 version of "Gettin' Tighter" is massively entertaining for at least 10 or so minutes of its running time. And hey, there's a Bolin solo composition, a guitar- heavy ballad called "Wild Dogs," with Bolin's vocals showing more real passion than Glenn or Dave ever showed in their time in Purple.

Overall, though, this is hardly an essential pickup for a Purple fan. I've seen more used copies of this than any other Purple album, and it's not hard for me to tell why. If you find it reeeeeeally cheap, get it for some of the highlights, but be prepared for some massive lows as well. Especially when David and Tommy end up butchering "Highway Star" at the end, arrgh.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#539296) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 01, 2011

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75"