ARNOLD LAYNE

David Gilmour

David Gilmour Arnold Layne album cover

Buy DAVID GILMOUR Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2006

1. Arnold Layne - featuring David Bowie (4:02)
2. Arnold Layne - featuring Richard Wright (3:22)
3. Dark Globe - featuring Richard Wright (2:20)

Search DAVID GILMOUR Arnold Layne lyrics

Search DAVID GILMOUR Arnold Layne tabs

- David Gilmour / guitar, vocals
- David Bowie / vocals
- Richard Wright / keyboards, vocals

Released in 2006 by EMI (UK).
Released in 2007 by Capitol (US)

Thanks to retuow for the addition
and to mor7mx for the last updates

DAVID GILMOUR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID GILMOUR Arnold Layne Music

ARNOLD LAYNE, 7" VINYL SINGLE, UK EM 717, 2006, DAVID GILMOUR, DAVID BOWIE *EXC* USD $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID GILMOUR Arnold Layne 7" *NEW* David Bowie P/S USD $21.97 Buy It Now 2 days
David Gilmour Arnold Layne 7" NEW vinyl EP Pink Floyd 45 RPM USD $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
David Gilmour Arnold Layne 10" NEW vinyl EP Pink Floyd 45 RPM USD $23.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID GILMOUR 10 INCH SINGLE - ARNOLD LAYNE - SEALED! DAVID BOWIE! FREE DOM. S USD $16.95 Buy It Now 4 days
David Gilmour featuring David Bowie - Arnold Layne 3 track cd single - OOP - EX! USD $12.55 Buy It Now 5 days
Pink Floyd DAVID GILMOUR & BOWIE Richard Wright Arnold Layne NEW UK 7 Inch vinyl USD $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID GILMOUR feat DAVID BOWIE Arnold Layne CD Single USD $12.50 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID GILMOUR ARNOLD LAYNE DAVID BOWIE Pink Floyd 10" Sealed USD $18.99 Buy It Now 8 days
David Gilmour, David Bowie/Pink Floyd "ARNOLD LAYNE" RSD 10" 33 RPM EP.! USD $15.95 Buy It Now 9 days
David Gilmour ARNOLD LAYNE Pink Floyd David Bowie 10" Vinyl Single New SEALED USD $11.97 Buy It Now 13 days
PINK FLOYD DAVID GILMOUR RICHARD WRIGHT DAVID BOWIE ARNOLD LAYNE SET 7" USD $31.27 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID GILMOUR - PINK FLOYD - ARNOLD LAYNE 3 TR UK CDSINGLE DAVID BOWIE USD $14.95 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID GILMOUR - ARNOLD LAYNE 10" BRAND NEW AND SEALED! USD $39.03 Buy It Now 14 days
Arnold Layne * [10 inch Vinyl Disc] by David Gilmour (Vinyl, Jan-2009, Sony... USD $29.99 Buy It Now 15 days
David Gilmour CD single (CD5 / 5") Arnold Layne UK CDEM717 EMI 2006 USD $19.54 Buy It Now 21 days
DAVID GILMOUR / PINK FLOYD - ON AN ISLAND / ARNOLD LAYNE 2xCD incl. PROMO BOWIE USD $21.90 Buy It Now 21 days
David Gilmour - Arnold Layne. (Pink Floyd) Sealed 10 inch Vinyl Record USD $24.99 Buy It Now 22 days
David Gilmour Arnold Layne promo cd USD $29.99 Buy It Now 27 days
BOWIE DAVID 10" PINK FLOYD David Gilmour Arnold Layne USA 2006 SEALED! USD $18.70 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy DAVID GILMOUR music online Buy DAVID GILMOUR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DAVID GILMOUR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DAVID GILMOUR Arnold Layne ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(29%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(35%)

DAVID GILMOUR Arnold Layne reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars Yesterday I was in a record-shop for the first time in many weeks and to my delight, as a huge Pink Floyd fan, I noticed this special EP. The track Arnold Layne (Pink Floyd their debut single in 1967) is one of my favorite Syd Barrett era songs and when it was released the music press hailed Syd Barrett and named him a genius, mighty close to legendary tunesmiths like Lennon and Ray Davies! Well, now it's forty years ago and last year (2006) Syd Barrett died so David Gilmour teamed up with a special band to dedicate the songs on this EP to the memory of Syd Barrett, a very creative and witty musician who (in my opinion) suffered from schizophrenia and was never able to return to the life of a rock musician, too much pressure for his vulnerable personality, how sad!

This EP contains two versions of the song Arnold Layne. The first one delivers the very distinctive voice of David Bowie, to me it sounds good, also because I love Bowie his voice. The guitarwork by David Gilmour and Phil Manzanera is excellent and halfway we can enjoy that compelling organ solo (great Farfisa sound) with a strong psychedelic overtone. The second version features Rick Wright as the lead singer, he does his best but his vocals are a bit dull, fortunately his organ work in this track (a bit extended in comparison with version one) is outstanding. The third song Dark Globe is written by Syd Barrett and performed by David Gilmour on acoustic guitar and vocals, what an emotional atmosphere, so melancholical ("wouldn't you miss me?") and I even got wet eyes, the result of the sad story and the way Gimour succeeded to bring a perfect musical tribute to Syd Barrett. A big hand for him because it's hard to do this while he knew his fame and fortune was based upon the fact that he was asked to replace a good friend who was no longer able to function on a decent level as a musician.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#130674) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 29, 2007

Review by Einsetumadur
4 stars This single/EP is one of the appetitizer CDs for David Gilmour's Remember That Night DVD which was releaed in 2007, including Gilmour's Royal Albert Hall concert from 2006 on one DVD and a lot of bonus material of his tour on a second DVD.

Just like other reviewers have already mentioned, the CD is Gilmour's tribute to Syd Barrett who died during Gilmour's tour, in the early July 2006. Musically, this CD is very fine. At first you get two different versions of Barrett's probably most popular song, Arnold Layne. The first recording can be watched on the Remember That Night DVD and includes the great David Bowie on vocals who seems to have won the fight against the drugs and therefore sings much more stable than for example in the 70s; he has a great voice that fits well to this song. Rick Wright's solo on the Farfisa organ (respectively the Farfisa registration of his keyboard) is still very great with all those lydic, doric, modal or whatever scales - they sound quite oriental, however - which made the Pink Floyd music of the late 60s that innovative. A really nice version - just like the recording with Richard Wright on vocals which also comes from the Royal Albert Hall but was recorded a few days before. Unfortunately, it's much shorter, clocking at 3'22'' - contrary to the 4 minute David Bowie rendition.

The next song is a great rendition of Barrett's ballad Dark Globe by Gilmour - just singing and playing the acoustic guitar, just like the original recording which can be heard on Barrett's first solo album THE MADCAP LAUGHS (from 1969) in which David Gilmour participated as a bassist, rhythm guitarist and even as a producer - collaborating with his former band-mate Roger Waters. This recording of Dark Globe was a one-off-tribute-performance to Syd Barrett and couldn't be found on the regular setlist of Gilmour's latest tour. However, he handles the singing and the guitar-playing very well. However, there is no Rick Wright to be heard here, and it's the same version which you can listen to (and watch!) on the bonus DVD of "Remember that Night"!

But now the CD player would stop and go into the standby mode - after two songs, one of them available in two versions.

I don't own this CD and I ask myself if I should have bought it since I know all of its content from the "Remember that Night" DVD. Until its publication in 2007 the single was surely essential. But as an owner of Gilmours "Remember That Night" on which all of those songs are available as videos with full surround sound I have to admit that this CD is rather needless. For a live CD it is too short, but I know, it is a single and not a live album.

The music is good and I also appreciate the tribute character of the single - but I recommend buying "Remember That Night" (or Live in Gdansk) instead. I know that actually I can't criticize a single for being a single, and so I give the music 4/5 stars - but reminding you that it is in fact a CD for completionists - and not recommendable from the purely musical perspective.

Send comments to Einsetumadur (BETA) | Report this review (#183870) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 27, 2008

2 stars This CD is my first David Gilmour CD that I purchased. I purchased this single because is a Syd Barrett's tribute and because in one song is present David Bowie. The two version of 'Arnold Lane' are equivalent. But David Bowie manages to make even more interesting 'Arnold Lane' with his voice, a ... (read more)

Report this review (#164293) | Posted by timeprog | Wednesday, March 19, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well I must mention the detail that this single was released with two purposes: The first one, most important of all, is that this is a tribute to the late Roger Keith "Syd" Barret, who sadly died earlier in 2006. The second is to promote the DVD that will be released later in 2007, It will featu ... (read more)

Report this review (#106369) | Posted by | Sunday, January 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID GILMOUR "Arnold Layne"