STORIE DI UOMINI E NON

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Rocky's Filj Storie Di Uomini E Non album cover

Buy ROCKY'S FILJ Music
Studio Album, released in 1973

1. L'Ultima Spiasggia (13:15)
2. Il Soldato (6:17)

- Rocky Rossi / alto sax, baritone sax, clarino, voice
- Roby Glabrovitz / electric guitar, flute
- Luigi Ventura / "Fender" bass, trombone
- Rubino Colasante / drums, double-bass

LP Ricordi SMRL 6115 (1973)
CD BMG Ricordi S.p.A. 74321-98160-2 (2003)

Thanks to Mandrakeroot for the addition
and to Mandrakeroot for the last updates

ROCKY'S FILJ MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ROCKY'S FILJ Storie Di Uomini E Non Music

Storie Di Uomini E Non [Vinyl]Storie Di Uomini E Non [Vinyl]
PID 2009
Vinyl$54.29

More places to buy ROCKY'S FILJ music online Buy ROCKY'S FILJ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ROCKY'S FILJ DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROCKY'S FILJ Storie Di Uomini E Non ratings distribution

ROCKY'S FILJ Storie Di Uomini E Non reviews

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Attention fans of Area & Kayo Dot:

Side 1 of this album is simply amazing. The opening track's 13 minutes feel as jumpy as a field mouse on crack. More on the connections to the above band later.

Rocky's Filj (or Roky's Fily according to some) formed in the early '70s and were from the Lombardia and Emilia areas. They played at the legendary Villa Pamphili pop festival and toured with Banco around that time. They got their chance to record and work with Banco's producer Sandro Colombini on their album for the Ricordi label. As shocking as it may be to read...brace yourself...this Italian band broke up soon after their album was released. Apparently one of the band members was incarcerated though I couldn't find out for what. The band would reunite briefly for a single release but never recorded a second album. Leader Rossi was killed in an auto accident in the 80s. "Storie Di Uomini E Non" was released in the monster year of 1973 and was clearly overshadowed by the many classics which emerged at that time. That is a shame because this album should be of much interest to any prog fan who would appreciate a truly eclectic take on fusion and RPI. Gnosis' Mike McLatchey describes the music as "elaborate and lengthy with plenty of fusion influences. Instrumentally, the primary leads are sax and guitar, and there are a lot of moments where the themes are doubled by both in a manner similar to that of Osanna's early period. The music even has room to jam, where the bassist will set up a riff and give the chance for some solos over the top, including both sax and flute."

This album is what I would describe as extremely red-blooded and dynamic, for the wild and thrill-seeking Italian fan. In its most frenzied moments it approaches an Area level of craziness but it also has a flip side that I won't call mellow, but slower, murkier, and strange. The album is paced well too with the three wilder tracks being 1/3/5 while the two breather tracks split them in the 2/4 position, giving the listener a true roller-coaster experience. Let's look at some of the positive attributes here: 1) These guys had chops! All of the musicians are very good and adventurous as well. 2) The sound is uncommonly good. You would expect a rarity from '73 to be pretty mediocre in sound but that is not the case here. Crisp highs and strong, upfront bass will give you the ability to crank this up loud without wincing. There are a few sound problems on side 2 but they are fleeting: I was literally rattling the pictures on the wall tonight with very good results. 3) Primarily instrumental and pretty wild tracks. I enjoy the bold and dramatic vocals of Rossi but for those who don't this album is far more instrumental than vocal. The music of Rocky's Filj is a unique blend of heated fusion jamming with rather strange divergent avenues. The album plays out as do some of the more adventurous Italians albums in that you're never sure what to expect, think about bands like Pholas Dactylus, Osanna, wed with jazzier fare like Area and Duello Madre. Bits and pieces of these groups will give you an idea what you're in for here: heavy-hitting (mostly) jamming with persistent fiery guitar and lots of horns, the album is most likely to please fusion fans who like a little something different on the presentation.

I really have to describe side one for you. "L'Ultima Spiasggia" is 13 minutes of pure madness that starts from the gate at light speed. Driving, booming bass and frenetic guitar lines spar incessantly with aggressive horns very similar to the Officina Meccanica sound I wrote about last week, but frankly Rockys sound is tighter and crisper. There is a break for some eerie flute before the powerful and intense vocals begin. Some don't like the vocals here-I think they are fantastic. Then another strange section with strings leads back to the manic-paced finish. The second track "Il Soldato" finishes the side and this track could have inspired Kayo or Maudlin. This cool sounding double bass just floats along building tension over these strange, serene guitar chords and lost sounding horns. The two tracks combined may not be the finest or most representative side of Italian prog but they sure do floor me. Side 2 is good but not quite as magical. I want to close by quoting a great sentiment about this album (and listening in general) by reviewer Rushomancy at RYM: "It's generally true that most obscure music is obscure for a reason. Once you delve deep into a genre, you find yourself listening to a lot of stuff that comes off as second-rate imitations of the better-known bands. So why does anybody bother?...Sometimes you find something that's way better than it has any right to be. Sometimes you find out you value different things in music than most people, and you like something most people would hate. Whatever the reason, Rocky's Filj, while not sounding overwhelmingly typical for an Italian prog record nevertheless contains everything I love about the genre."

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#192515) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Review by Todd
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano!
5 stars The epitome of an obscure gem! I love this album. Over the last year I've purchased over 200 RPI CDs, as I've been absolutely enchanted by this stunning genre. Nearly all of them are good, many of them are great, and a few, like this one, just hit me like a ton of bricks. It's not as symphonic as many of the classic bands and yet doesn't venture as far as Area does into Jazz (there is no free form soloing--it's crazy, no doubt, but all within a well-defined and very enjoyable structure).

I love the description on the band bio (and also included in Finnforest's review) regarding the sax and guitar doubling themes. I would add that there is great interplay between sax, guitar, bass, and sometimes flute. Often the doubling changes into harmonizing, sometimes as thirds or just complementary sounds. Many times the themes are taken up by the other instruments, helping the different sections flow nicely, even though there is at times great variation in tempo and feel. Note that there are no keyboards. But the use of the sax is so imaginative that I had to double back and listen to a section of Martino again (about 2.5 minutes in) because I swear there was mellotron. But no--it's saxophone! I actually love the use of the sax and flute here--they provide great coloring and depth. The moods can sometimes vary within songs, especially Io Robot. The mood also varies between songs (the energetic L'Ultima Spiaggia, then the more atmospheric Il Soldato, then the fiery E). The sparse vocals are good and certainly don't detract from the fabulous music.

I refer you to Finnforest's excellent review for historical notes about the band and his always enjoyable comments. My own take is that this album is one of the best of the RPI subgenre, and the RPI subgenre is essential to a prog library. Hence the 5 star rating. You can't go wrong with this one!

Send comments to Todd (BETA) | Report this review (#199558) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 17, 2009

4 stars I can't believe how many amazing albums came out of Italy in the seventies. Is there an end to these obscure gems that keep coming out of the woodwork ? I hope not ! Thankyou Finnforest for bringing this band and OFFICINA MECCANICA to my attention, and to Todd who told me about these same two bands not long after Finnforest did. I ordered these two recordings at the same time and for me they will always be associated with one another.Two incredible bands and albums.

"L'Ultima Spiaggia" is the longest and perhaps most adventerous track on here. It hits the ground running with horns blasting. Nice bass as the guitar comes in ripping it up. A calm before 1 1/2 minutes as the melody stops and flute eventually comes in. We get vocals for the first time 3 minutes in and they are fantastic ! I really like his voice. It sounds like cello 4 1/2 minutes in as bass and horns follow. Great sound 5 1/2 minutes in then it kicks back in to a fuller sound. Check out the guitar before 7 1/2 minutes ! Passionate vocals, guitar and horns after 8 1/2 minutes. Haha.They're playing and singing with feeling. It settles again after 10 minutes, great vocals here. Love the sax before 11 1/2 minutes.The guitar is back shredding to end it. Now I can breathe. "Il Soldato" opens in a pastoral way as reserved vocals come in. Melancholic horns before 3 minutes.The vocals return 5 minutes in to the end.

"E" reminds me of the first track the way the horns come out blasting. They even get a little dissonant after a minute then some raw sounding guitar arrives. Horns and drums join in. It settles before 2 1/2 minutes but kicks back in quickly. "Io Robot" is mellow and laid back to begin with. Vocals before 1 1/2 minutes. Drums and a full sound a minute later. Great sound ! Check out the flute 4 minutes in. Another excellent section after 6 minutes. I like the horns and the beat. This song reminds me of AREA quite a bit. "Martino" sounds like there might be some fuzz in that intro. It settles a minute in, vocals follow and they're amazing. Drums pound as horns and guitar do their thing when the vocals stop. They break into a nice rhythm after 3 minutes. Vocals are back. I like the ending.

This is a must for Italian fans out there along with OFFICINA MECCANICA's album.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#199624) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 17, 2009

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars Yet another one shot Italian band, Rocky's Filj released their only album back in 1973. Certainly not one of the better known Italian prog bands, they nevertheless have an enthusiastic if small group of admirer's who regard Storie Di Uomini E Non very highly.

Storie Di Uomini E Non whilst having mellower moments is not an album for those preferring the more pastoral RPI releases. Far more suited to those who enjoy the wilder excesses of the genre such as Osanna, Area or Il Baletto Di Bronzo. The wild explosive nature of most of the tracks also bring to mind early King Crimson, though you won't find any mellotron here, with nods to Van Der Graaf Generator though the latter comparison is more down to the wild sax playing prevalent throughout supplied by sadly now deceased vocalist Rocky Rossi. There's also a fairly strong jazz feel, the warts and all dry production allowing each player to stand out showing all as decent players with pleasing interplay between the sax and guitar over the dynamic rhythm section.

Sadly like so many albums of the time it's all over too soon leaving the frustrated listener wanting more. Whilst Rocky's Filj are not advised as an early port of call in the exploration of RPI they nevertheless warrant attention from those of a more adventurous disposition who've already become acquainted with the higher profile bands of the genre, many of whom they can stand head and shoulders with such is the quality of this album.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#826078) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars This four-piece band from Italy is really great musically even though they only produced one album in the seventies and reunited in 1979 for a commercial release. The opening track "L'Ultima Spiasggia" (13:15) is really wonderful with its jaz-rock orientated style maximizing the talented musicians to perform their own instruments from alto sax, baritone sax, clarino, electric guitar, flute, "Fender" bass, trombone, and drums. Not in typical any band where each musician focuses only on one intruments with its similar instrument - this band, like Gentle Giant, plays multi instruments. Look at how Rocky Rossi plays alto sax, baritone sax, clarino, and at the same time take a voice role. Roby Glabrovitz who plays electric guitar, has the capability to play flute, while Luigi Ventura plays "Fender" bass and trombone. It's quite unusual really. The opening track has many style and tempo changes across the span of 13 minute duration of wonderfully crafted composition. \the vocal is raw but unique and it fits with the overall tone of the song as well as the album. The bass guitar solo sometimes reminds me to the Jethro Tull's "Boree" even though they are not alike. The guitar solo is also stunning. All ini all this is a masterpiece track of this album!

"Il Soldato" (6:17) starts off with a bass guitar solo follwed with melodic vocal with guitar fills. I can hear the sound of violin but actually there is no violin used right here in this record. The song moves slowly in dark mood with good guitar fills. The brass section sounds like a big band. "E" (3:57) brings the music back into energy with very nice opening part that combines all instruments performed in relatively fast speed. the alto sax solo is really nice especially when it's combined with a rocking guitar work. The bass guitar work is really solid and it moves dynamically throughout the song. There are many style and tempo changes throughout the span of roughly 4 minute duration. It's an excellent track!

"Io Robot" (7:41) brings to music into melodic and mellow style with accentuated vocal line. It's melodically a good track. It moves into crescendo when the vocal at first part finish to sing and it brings the music into a dynamic composition leaning itself into solid basslines. I admire that the bass guitar players is really a very talented musician. It gives good rhythm for a solo sax in a style that reminds me to King Crimson's "Islands" album. The flute work is also great. "Martino" (5:41) concludes the album in the same dynamic as the opening track only with shorter duration. But the music is really great with some style changes and tempo changes througout the song. The guitar solo is also stunning especially during the accentuated vocal line. What a great composition really!

Overall, this is a wonderfully crafted album with its unique jazz-rock orientated style combined with great musicianship in every single instrument they use. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED especially for those of you who love jazz-rock kind of music. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1076752) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 15, 2013

4 stars Aweosome band from the city of Parma discovered after following Banco on a tour through Italy. They just released this great pearl, prog-fusion stuffed with beautiful quality that reminds me of the golden years of Osanna. The band did not move forward because one of their members had been arrested ... (read more)

Report this review (#1076622) | Posted by Luciana Aun | Thursday, November 14, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ROCKY'S FILJ "Storie Di Uomini E Non"