SPELLBOUND

20. Mental Notes

Search SPLIT ENZ Spellbound lyrics

Search SPLIT ENZ Spellbound tabs

Various Split Enz line-ups

Two Disc best of Split Enz spanning every Studio album.

Album cover comes in a number of different colours.

Thanks to cheesecakemouse for the addition
and to AtomicCrimsonRush for the last updates

SPLIT ENZ MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPLIT ENZ Spellbound Music

Spellbound: The Very Best of Split EnzSpellbound: The Very Best of Split Enz
Import · Remastered
Wea Int'l 2006
Audio CD$28.45 (used)

More places to buy SPLIT ENZ music online Buy SPLIT ENZ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPLIT ENZ DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPLIT ENZ Spellbound ratings distribution

SPLIT ENZ Spellbound reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars This is the definitive best of Split Enz from the quirky, zany early incarnation to the polished production of their last few albums. There is so much to recommend from this band and in a sense it is better to grab their best of compilations as there was so much bedraggled nonsense on the studio releases, particularly their first 3 albums. All the awesome singles are on this release and every track worthy of mentioning from their repertoire.

The Best of the Enz from their discography is deserving of 2 CDs so this is about as good as it gets if you only want to buy one Enz album to include on your catalogue. Quintessential Split Enz included on this release include History Never Repeats, Dirty Creature, Bold as Brass, I See Red, I Got you, Shark Attack, One Step Ahead, Pioneer/ Six Months in a Leaky Boat, Poor Boy, I Hope I Never, Message to My Girl and Semi Detatched.

I mention Semi Detached, even though it is not a well known track by any standards, because it is certainly the most progressive track with its lengthy bizarre, off kilter rhythmic structure and overall sound. It was a surprise as I had not heard this on any other album because it comes from the Luton Tapes that was never released commercially till recently on CD.

Every track on this compilation has something special to offer, even though not every track works on the level of musicality or structure. One can never accuse Split Enz of being non diverse or dull when it comes to their song writing or themes. They cover every topic from man eating female sharks to Interplanetary Romeos (see my review of True Colours CD for lyrics). The music itself is incredible and heavily laden with pop snyth, echoed percussion and string sections with some dollops of clanging guitars added for good measure.

The singing ability of the Finn brothers is a joy to listen to as diverse from one another as one can be but somehow it works. Split Enz were one of the most prolific Oz/NZ acts of the 70s and 80s and still pack in crowds when they get together for special events such as the recent Bushfire Appeal concert. They sound as good as ever and played only tracks featured on this compilation because in essence this is the main bulk of their best tracks.

This double CD had me Spellbound and is highly recommended for all the above mentioned reasons. If you want an example of great Oz/NZ prog related material, look no further.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#215074) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 11, 2009

4 stars I'd say that this is the most definative Best of Compilation of Enz (and believe me there are many) this one is a more balanced on viewing aspects of pretty much their entire career rather than just focussing on their pop hits, of course there are noticable songs missing (there always are in Best ... (read more)

Report this review (#123406) | Posted by Cheesecakemouse | Friday, May 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPLIT ENZ "Spellbound"