WAKE PIG

5. "Bramfatura" - 1:40
6. "Trust" - 4:09
7. "Dogs of War" - 4:17
8. "Soul to Sell" - 2:34
9. "One Way Town" - 5:13 (new track 2005)
10. "Queen" - 3:32
11. "Circus Without Clowns" - 4:18 (new track 2005)
12. "Where's Max" - 2:17 (featuring Max's vocals)
13. "Amaze Disgrace" - 16:24 (incorporating a hidden track, which is an alternate version of "Trust")

Thanks to MikeEnRegalia for the addition
and to sean for the last updates

THREE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THREE Wake Pig Music

Acid King - III - LP - Three Way Blend - Colored Vinyl - New Copy US $19.99 Buy It Now 32m 52s
THREE 6 MAFIA / KANYE WEST "SIDE 2 SIDE" *RARE* 12" US $3.15 Buy It Now 33m 32s
Homeless J,NEW CD,Three Seconds to Gaze US $4.99 Buy It Now 34m 39s
Three Bedroom Ramblers,SEALED CD,What Was the Question? US $9.99 Buy It Now 35m 4s
Nights In The Gardens/Three-Co - M. De Falla US $13.74 Buy It Now 36m 42s
40s R&B 78 JOHNNY MOORE'S THREE BLAZERS How Deep Is The Ocean 139 EB762 US $24.99 Buy It Now 38m 2s
78-accordian-Majestic 1027-The Three Suns US $5.00 Buy It Now 38m 34s
The Three E.P.'s by The Beta Band (CD, Jan-1999, Astralwerks) US $2.50 [0 bids]
39m 51s
Three Evil Creatures,SEALED CD,Bayonet the Wounded US $5.99 Buy It Now 40m 26s
RVG ear VG+ Three Sounds Bottoms Up Blue Note BLP 4014 47 W. 63rd NYC LP US $67.49 Buy It Now 42m 13s
Gould, Glenn, Bach: Two & Three Part Inven Audio CD US $18.29 Buy It Now 42m 36s
MADE IN CANADA Volume Three Eclectic Avenue CD AUTHENTIC RCA CANADA FACTORY ORIG US $49.99 Buy It Now 43m 25s
1972 LP Record 33 RPM * THREE DOG NIGHT * SEVEN SEPARATE FOOLS * abc records US $4.99 [0 bids]
44m 29s
Innfallen Three Days Of Darkness CD NEW (UK Import) US $15.95 Buy It Now 49m 43s
Giacomo puccini TOSCA opera in three acts US $50.00 [0 bids]
53m 28s
GEORGE HARRISON Thiry Three & 1/3LP ROCK DARK HORSE Gatefold ORIG INNER US $5.00 [0 bids]
56m 19s
THREE DOG NIGHT Golden Bisquits LP ROCK ABC/DUNHILL Multi Gatefold ORIG INNER US $5.00 [0 bids]
57m 49s
THREE MILE PILOT - Na Vucca Do Lupu CD NM/NM Headhunter hedcd017 US $4.49 Buy It Now 58m 16s
SUGARMAN THREE**SUGAR'S BOOGALOO**VINYL US $17.02 Buy It Now 1h
1971 THREE DOG NIGHT LIAR #7 NICE ABC DUNHILL 45 RPM RECORD US $2.99 [0 bids]
1h
Vintage Goldilocks and The Three Bears 45 RPM Record Peter Pan Records USA US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Three Car Garage: Indie Recordings 1995-1996 - Hanson (Cassette 1998) in NM US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 4m
JAZZ LP Poll Winners Three! KESSEL, Manne, RAY BROWN on CONTEMPORARY 7576 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Vintage Vinyl LP Records Rock Three Dog Night US $6.00 [0 bids]
Three Dog Night -ABC 45 Til The World Ends / Yo Te Quiero Hablar (Take You Down) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
1973 THREE DOG NIGHT LET ME SERENADE YOU #17 NM ABC DUNHILL 45 RPM RECORD US $2.99 [0 bids]
Shelly Manne - The Three rare orig Contemporary 10" LP Guiffre Shorty Rogers US $15.00 [0 bids]
THE THREE DEGREES VINYL LP AUSTRALIA US $11.29 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Three Dog Night on Dunhill-ABC 45 7" The Family Of Man / Going In Circles US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Garth Brooks Special Cut three songs US $0.99 [0 bids]
GRAHAM PARKER AND THE RUMOUR**THREE CHORDS GOOD (GATEFOLD)**VINYL US $20.96 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Dvorak: Three Great Symphonies 7 8 9 (CD, 1998, 2 Disc, MHS) Christoph Dohnanyi US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
VINYL LP Genesis - Three Sides Live / 2LP US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Glenn Miller 78 Bluebird 10219 Three Little Fishies/Wishing E- Condition US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Haydn: Three Favorite Concertos Various Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Three Dog Night. US $7.77 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Don Ho Tiny Bubbles Three Prize Records 6232 Excellent Condition 12" LP US $7.91 Buy It Now 1h 28m
ELP 3 "...to The Power of Three"(Keith Emerson/Carl Palmer) Cassette OOP US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
FACE TO FACE**THREE CHORDS AND A HALF TRUTH (GATEFOLD/LIMIED/180G/DNLD)**VINYL US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Love, Murder and a Three Letter Word by Society's Finest CD BRAND NEW, SEALED US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Sugababes - Three - Import CD (2003) Universal Island Records Ltd. - US $13.97 Buy It Now 1h 36m
THE THREE DEGREES- YEAR OF DECISION/ WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN 7" LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
AR Rahman A World Of Music Special Edition Three Cd Set. New. Indian Music US $15.00 [0 bids]
THREE DOG NIGHT- I CAN HEAR YOU CALLING/ JOY TO THE WORLD 7" LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
THREE DOG NIGHT- MAMA TOLD ME/ EASY TO BE HARD 7" LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Edison Record 1582 HESITATION WALTZ / THREE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING Vinyl US $5.00 [0 bids]
Maps, Three Mile Pilot, New US $13.25 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Three Dog Night Dunhill 45 Record Joy To The World / I Can Hear You US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
SUSIE ALLANSON ~ TWO STEPS FORWARD THREE ..45 COUNTRY US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 56m
The Impressions - Three The Hard Way Soundtrack - LP ('74, '01 Reissue) 180 gram US $13.22 [0 bids]
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three - LP ('74 BELL 1316) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Genesis Three Sides Live Vinyl LP SD-2-2000 US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h
The Joykiller Three CD punk hardcore epitaph jack grisham TSOL 1997 alternative US $0.99 [0 bids]
THREE DOG NIGHT - GOLDEN BISQUITS -LP- 1971 GATEFOLD W/POSTER -DUNHILL DSX-50098 US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
gary .s. bonds - quarter to three - legrand 1008 - ref# 4565 US $7.49 [0 bids]
Three 45 R.P.M. Albums with Sleeves Hank Snow, Chet Atkins, Johnny Cash (2302) US $18.95 Buy It Now 2h 9m
THREE DOG NIGHT AROUND THE WORLD WITH LIVE VINYL 2 LP AUSTRALIA US $12.23 Buy It Now 2h 9m
THE TARNEY / SPENCER BAND - THREE'S A CROWD (SP512) VG+/VG++ cond. great album! US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Terry McBride & The Ride (Three Song Promo) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge [PA] by My Chemical Romance (CD, Jun-2004, Repris US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
THREE MILE PILOT -The Chief Assassin To The Sinister- CD 1995 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Three Chord Opera Neil Diamond US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Around The World With Three Dog Night Double LP 2 Record Set 1973 US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 17m
THREE DOG NIGHT CYAN VINYL LP AUSTRALIA US $11.29 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Three Snakes and One Charm - The Black Crowes (Cassette 1996) in NM US $8.49 Buy It Now 2h 20m
THREE DOG NIGHT HARMONY VINYL LP AUSTRALIA US $11.29 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Poll Winners Three! - Kessel/Manne/Brown US $8.74 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Prokofiev The Love of Three Oranges, Concerto EPIC Gold Deep Groove EX+ SOLID lp US $4.00 [0 bids]
REGINALD KILBEY / ERIC COATES "The Three Elizabeths" / EMI Odeon UK Stereo NM US $19.95 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Gerry Mulligan All Star Groups - Three Classic Albums Plus (Mulli CD NEW (UK Imp US $9.85 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Dizzy Gillespie All Star Sessions - Three Classic Albums Plus (Wit CD NEW (UK Im US $9.51 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Chico Hamilton Quintet Three Classic Albums Plus (Chico Hamilton Quintet CD NEW US $9.23 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Three Dog Night Suitable For Framing JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW 10 TRKS UICY-75563 US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Three Cheers for Pooh!, Robert Tear, tenor, Philip Ledger, piano, New Sealed LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Bob Welch - Three Hearts - 1979 - Vinyl US $0.99 [0 bids]
1972 THREE DOG NIGHT "PIECES OF APRIL" 45 7" US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Duke Ellington Progressive Gavotte / Three Cent Stomp (rare 45, Excellent) US $9.99 [0 bids]
SAMMY HAGAR THREE LOCK BOX LP 532 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
THE THREE SUNS 4-LOT 3LPs/1EP - RCA VICTOR GOLDEN TONE ULTRAPHONIC VG/VG+ HTF US $8.00 [0 bids]
CURE Three Imaginary Boys JAPAN MADE SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-93477 US $55.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Commodores Three Times A Lady 7" Single Motown label TMG1113 US $4.24 Buy It Now 2h 57m
james brown - three hearts in a tangle - king 5701 - NM - 1962 US $8.99 [0 bids]
Jean-Pierre Rampal Ransom Wilson Three Concertos for Two Flutes ARL1-2713 US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Best of Three 3 Dog Night 2 LP Set Great Shape MCA Records 1982 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Orpheus MUSICIANSHIP Graded COURSE GRADE THREE by Betty Hanna @ CMC 02 9873 333 US $18.82 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Dunhill Records DSX-50098 Three Dog Night - Golden Bisquits 1971 12" 33 RPM US $11.98 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Spade Cooley Three Way Boogie NM NOS 78 Western Swing Crazy Cause I Love You US $11.65 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Three Suns On the Avenue 78 NM NOS Sentimental Souvenir Pop Instro RCA 20-2393 US $7.15 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Three Dog Night Naturally JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD 10 TRACKS UICY-75566 US $30.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
45 RPM MEAT LOAF "FOR CRYING OUT LOUD"/"TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BAD" US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
CHICK COREA THREE QUARTETS JAPAN CD NEW OUT OF PRINT US $22.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
FUN BOY THREE-THE LUNATICS (HAVE TAKEN OVER THE ASYLUM)-CHRYSALIS-CHS2563-1981 US $4.24 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Three Times Dope PEACE YA SELF PROMO CD Single/Live From Acknickulous Land/3XD US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
DIRTY THREE-Toward The Low Sun CD-Brand New-Still Sealed US $14.07 Buy It Now 3h 36m
The Big Three Featuring Mama Cass Elliot, Tim Rose, Jim Hendricks, Mama Ca, Good US $55.62 Buy It Now 3h 46m
THREE DOG NIGHT An Old Fashioned Love Song 45 record + juke box strip NEW RARE! US $23.52 Buy It Now 3h 50m
DAWN 7" record Knock Three Times / HOME 45 rpm single Bell Tokens US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 57m
DJ Scorpio Screwin Choppin & Leanin Master P,C-Murder,Three 6 Mafia,Trick Daddy US $4.00 [0 bids]
4h
THREE DOG NIGHT - ONE MAN BAND - 7" PROMO 45 - MONO / STEREO -- K @@ L US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
THREE DOG NIGHT - SURE AS I'M SITTIN' HERE - 7" PROMO 45 - MONO/ST- W/ INFO CARD US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m

More places to buy THREE music online Buy THREE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THREE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THREE Wake Pig ratings distribution

THREE Wake Pig reviews

3 stars 3.5 stars. My review will be from the re-issue from Metal Blade Records. This release features two new tracks as well as new cover art. I had read some really good things about this band about a year and a half ago and so decided to order this cd in. The first time I listened to it (a year and a half ago) my daughter was with me and we were at work. I remember the uneasy feeling I had as I listened to it and having that feeling increased by my daughters reaction. The thing was they sounded so much like COHEED AND CAMBRIA, too much actually. COHEED AND CAMBRIA are one of my daughters favourite bands, she even named her computer Claudio after their singer. Anyway we listened to it, and it was good, but still those feelings remained that they had ripped off another bands sound. Well I did some investigating and found out that 3 not only existed before COHEED AND CAMBRIA but they had released an EP before they did as well. I also found out that the two bands were good friends, and they both thank the other in their respective liner notes.They have toured together a lot, and Josh Eppard who originally played drums for 3 (and is the brother of 3's singer Joey Eppard) also played drums for COHEED AND CAMBRIA (not anymore). So that really helped us both to enjoy this album a lot more, and I prefer this band over COHEED AND CAMBRIA while my daughter is loyal to C&C.

Another story is the PORCUPINE TREE concert I went to in May and to my delight I heard that 3 was the opening band for the North American tour. Unfortunately though the band couldn't get across the border into Canada except for the singer / acoustic guitar player Joey Eppard. So there he was on the stage all by himself with his guitar in hand. This guy is so talented not only as a singer but especially as a guitar player. He played these beautiful, intricate acoustic melodies, but he also strummed it a lot while at times tapping it hard creating some percussion. He ended up breaking strings as he poured his heart out in that performance. He received a standing ovation when he was through, as he bowed with sweat dripping from his face.

"Alien Angel" has a great heavy intro that continues as vocals arrive. We get a calm passage 2 1/2 minutes in as drums and synths play. Some more TOOL like heaviness to follow. "Monster" is dominated by drums and bass as Joey sings softly on and off throughout the song. "Dregs" is a great tune. I love the outbreaks of drums and bass as well as the dreamy chorus. "Wake Pig" is all about the riffs and fantastic vocals. An amazing melody 2 minutes in with some killer guitar before the main melody returns. "Bramfatura" is a real highlight with the intricate acoustic guitar melodies that are so beautiful. I was reminded of PORCUPINE TREE and then we hear the tapping of the guitar like in the concert. You have to hear this song. "Trust" is another amazing track with strummed guitar to open.This doesn't last long as a powerful soundscape arrives, but it's the vocals that are most impressive. A killer rhythm to this one as well.

"Dogs Of War" is a mellow tune that does get more passionate later. This contrast continues. "Soul To Sell" opens with synths as it quickly turns to a light funny song. "One Way Town" is another great track. A chugging rhythm as some killer guitar comes in. It calms right down as vocals come in. This is such a catchy song with vocal melodies too. Some scorching guitar 3 minutes in. "Queen" continues the streak of excellent songs. It opens with a nice little guitar melody that is copied by the rhythm section as reserved vocals come in. I can't believe how many good songs are on this record ! "Circus Without Clowns" is melancholic with Lennon-like vocals at times. It does pick up as this contrast continues. An incredible guitar solo before 3 minutes."Where's Max" is a little experimental for the band with percussion and bass with a different vocalist singing. "Amaze Disgrace" has a nice acoustic guitar intro, I really like this song. The drums are great as they lead the way. Some Eastern sounds come in followed by a blistering yet tasteful guitar solo. Vocal melodies, bass and drums to end it. There is a minute of silence before another song starts up. It's actually like a reprise of "Trust" that lasts 8 minutes ! What a way to end the album,the drumming especially shines on this song.

I read about of a lot of people buying this record after watching this band open for PORCUPINE TREE in the U.S.and being very pleased with their purchase. I couldn't agree with them more.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#135957) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2007

Review by LiquidEternity
3 stars A lot of what I wrote in my review for The End Is Begun holds true for this album too. 3 have a wonderful sound. They have wonderful talent. They are probably the most exciting live act I have ever witnessed.

However, their music is progressively stagnant (that sounds silly). They don't change their sound much; they don't play around much. To be redundant, they don't progress much. If you like their sound, you'll like this album. With the exception of Amaze Disgrace and Bramfatura, all the songs on this album are pretty well mirrored in all the songs on The End Is Begun, and for someone like me, who started with their latest on account of so many recommendations, Wake Pig ends up seeming like a weak copy of that one, despite the fact that it came first.

The music is inherently the same, which means that the music here is awesome too. We're talking crazy acoustic guitar work, drums and percussion duos, Joey's unique vocals--the usual works. The songs themselves aren't terribly progressive (and this will sound a bit narrow-minded, be warned): very little in the way of alternate time signatures, standard chord progressions, not much in the way of drawing sounds from other musical disciplines, and so forth. However, that funky, syncopating acoustic guitar proves that 3 is not just a standard rock band.

I mentioned Bramfatura and Amaze Disgrace earlier. In all honesty, these are the only two tracks off this album that I play very regularly, and without them, the album would be struggling for a two star rating from me. Bramfatura showcases Joey Eppard's virtuosic acoustic work, with him smacking that wooden instrument like it owed him money in three different currencies. This is the primary example of prog showing up here. It is very complicated and very fast. Something everybody who enjoys listening to fancy acoustic work should give a chance. Secondly, there is the final track Amaze Disgrace. No, it is not 16 minutes long, though it says so up there. Rather, it's something more like eight minutes with some silence and a bonus track. The song itself, though, is a perfect statement of the band's artistic desires, a monument to their creativity and talent, especially vocally. The hidden track features a long drums plus percussion solo section, making it a fun way to close off the album.

In all, again, this is fun music. It is fast paced and clever. But when it comes to being progressive, it falls short. The tracks blur together because most of them are basically the same. The two titan tracks (one being a bit shorter than titan would seem to imply), though, make this album necessary for anyone who heard The End Is Begun and is curious about more.

To any person interested in the band, I would recommend starting with The End Is Begun and seeing if that appeals to you first, as it's musically stronger and a bit more diverse. If it works for you, though, jump right into Wake Pig, and chances are you'll like what you find.

Send comments to LiquidEternity (BETA) | Report this review (#184023) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 28, 2008

Review by horsewithteeth11
4 stars Three is a modern prog rock band that is hard to put your finger on. At times, they obviously fit into the crossover genre of prog, others as an alt rock group, and lately they've begun to incorporate elements of metal. While sticking out like a sore thumb in the progressive genre, Three has certainly been on a mission to make themselves known to the prog community (as well as the music scene overall). They've opened on Porcupine Tree's U.S. tours and this year headlined the Progressive Nation Tour with Dream Theater, Opeth, and Between the Buried and Me. I didn't become aware of Three until a friend highly recommended them to me. And to be honest, I'm very glad he did. They've quickly become one of my favorite bands, although granted they aren't the type of band that appeals to the average prog fan, especially since a large number of them cringe at the thought of "alternative rock". However, never fear, for Three is a group of aspiring young musicians with the talented and classically trained guitarist Joey Eppard at the helm, whose powerful voice and talent with his instrument (as very well noticed in Bramfatura, a 1:40 guitar solo where he really gets to shine) hardly goes unnoticed. This album has eleven tracks, and even though it's only one over ten, I don't really feel like taking the time to highlight every track that the album offers unless I'm 1) feeling extremely motivated or 2) I have a good reason to do so aka a 5-star album. While this is certainly an album where Three has begun to move towards a heavier element, it has yet to reach the perfection that I think is exhibited in the album that came after this one, The End Is Begun. Therefore, I can only give it 4 stars. However, I would recommend that if you are new to Three to make either this or TEIB your starting point for the band.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#188723) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 10, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Wake Pig' - Three (7/10)

After a pretty impressive introduction to Three's music by way of their great album 'The End Is Begun,' I was interested to explore more of the band's repetoire. After having done many an internet search, it seemed the best course to pursue was to buy this album, 'Wake Pig.' Having also been previleged enough to see this band live in concert (one of the most exciting concert performances of my life) I recognized from the track listings that the band had also played quite a few songs at the concert from this album.

I have to say, I'm not sure why there is great wave of criticism calling it nothing more than 'non- essential.' In my eye, this is the quintessential Three album, and the most consistent release of theirs yet.

While 'The End Is Begun' had some songs that I really did not enjoy, or found boring, this album is well stocked with good songwriting. As far as it goes altogether as an album, 'The End Is Begun' was a bit more thoughtfully composed but song-by-song, 'Wake Pig' is the victor. There are a few weaker tracks on the album (although the only truly annoying track is the inane 'Where's Max' which is nothing short of stupid) but these small shortfalls are balanced out by a handful of exceptional songs, including the trademark acoustic instrumental of Joey Eppard (that put him on the map as a guitarist) 'Bramfatura' and the epic finale 'Amaze Disgrace.'

For others such as myself whose first experience with the band Three was through 'The End Is Begun,' I dare you to try out 'Wake Pig' with an open mind.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#234143) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 22, 2009

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Admin / Heavy Prog Team
4 stars The anomaly known as "Three."

Over their 10 or so year existence, Three has incorporated quite a few musical styles in their music. Sometimes it's easy to yell crossover prog at the complex multi-faceted music. From alt rock, to pop, to prog, to metal, to hard rock, to this, to that, to something else and they do it again! Lately, however, with their latest releases, the metal has become more prevalent. The music is still highly experimental, with so much fun stuff packed into the songs its amazing some of the music sounds as good as it does. This is one of their few albums where it does sound fantastic, where as some studio albums lack that spark.

Alien Angel is that signature Three sound mixed with that signature Three metal: the perfect Three sound. Joey Eppard's pseudo-virtuoso guitar playing and great vocals, mixed with Billy Riker smashing guitar work makes this track especially special. Not only is the metal riffing a great asset, but also that funky bass work that backs it. This track is no doubt a great way to open up the album.

Funky instrumentals for the win! Where's Max is one of those odd songs that always makes onto the track listing. The track displays an obvious Les Claypool and Primus influence, with out there bass work and busy funk guitar. The track is a little sloppy with organization, with a couple transitions that are weak. Overall, however, this track is a good one, and it really leads you to ask, where the hell *is* Max?

Ah, Dregs, the best song in their set list that it's been put on three albums (yay for puns?). Superb creativity oozes out of this song like an experimental goo. Perfect transitions between varying feels and dynamics, with some one quarter cheesy and three quarters really cool lyrics. There always seems to be a point in my favorite music where I just can't describe it's excellence, and this is one of them. This song is easily one of the best on this album, keeping up a nice streak of great tracks.

Wake Pig welcomes in Three's pop influence as a friend among it's others quite easily. The metal in the music is obvious, as is that signature funk-metal-prog-pop sound. However, much of the verses has that feel that years for the radio. However, the saving grace for this is the chorus. Ripping through any music that threatens its perfection, its finger popping excellence is superb. The rhythm is the best quality, keeping those notes perfectly in sync with each other. The breakdown instrumental section is the next plus, with some creative soloing that often isn't found in their music.

Bramfatura is simply a pretentious show off solo. But trust, that is NOT a bad thing. Heck, half of the classic instrumental sections in any prog song is just that. This shows shows Joey Eppard's impressive skills with the acoustic guitar. With this song, that man could easily go up against giants like Al Di Meola or John McLaughlin.

Trust is another nice funk-metal song with slight, but minimum, pop influence. Creative drumming and nice lyrical work keep this song going. Great breakdowns and creative instrumentation are also a great plus to this great song. It isn't the best on the album, but it easily keeps the great pace of the album going.

Dogs of War somewhat stops the continuity of upbeet funk-metal on this album. Much slower and melancholy than its predecessors, Dogs of War has a certain personality to it. Real compassion can be heard in the vocal work, with some deliberate and sincere instrumentation. I guess this track could be seen as a nice transition/intermission from the great string of fantastic tracks.

Soul to Sell is a short little vignette of funky pop prog rock. Clocking in at just over 2 minutes, not much is in the song, but it's still a strong effort. Some strong vocal work meshes quite nicely with the strong instrumentation, as always.

Queen goes back to those quintessential funk-metal roots. Opening with a fantastic riff, that breaks down to a jazzy vocal piece. This is the kind of stuff that really got me into Three, fantastic riffing, creative breakdowns, signature sounds, and just overall superb creativity. This track lines up right behind Dregs and Wake Pig as one of the better on the album.

Monster is way more funk than anything else. Another short vignette nearly three minutes, the funky bass is really what pushes the song along. It is weaker than the rest of the tracks, but is still a powerful performance. The song is a great 2 and a half minutes to listen to, even though the song isn't as creative as the rest of the album.

Here she is, boys, the epic of the day. The 15 minute rendition of the previously released Amaze Disgrace (now Amazedisgrace), is at its finest. Even by itself, a much shorter 5 minute performance, is impressive. It was easily the best track on the weak Summercamp Nightmare and Half Life. Powerful vocal, instrumental, melodic, rhythmic, and everything work makes this song spectacular. When the addition to the song starts playing, it really shows you the intense musicianship of this band. No, the solos are not played by John Petrucci or Joe Satriani, but they are still highly impressive. When the actual song stops, the hidden track (thank god) does not take long to open. The new rendition of Trust is creative and fun, and neither adds nor detracts from the overall song. After "Trust" finishes, a welcome drum solo is played, showing the drummer's creative and impressive talent. Overall, this dynamic song ends the album on a spectacular note, showing Three's capability of great dynamics and variety.

ALBUM OVERALL: A very, very strong album. Each track has special qualities and a strong sense of creativity, with that signature funk-metal sound. The only weak tracks are Where's Max? and maybe Dogs of War. Strong instrumentation really shows how the band can stretch their creative muscles. Vocal work is strong and compassionate, showing Joey Eppard's willingness to really pour himself into the music. 4+ stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#352938) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 14, 2010

4 stars Three is a true prog band with a very fresh sound. These guys manage to combine different and heterogenous elements. Led by the lead vocalist and guitarist Joey Eppard, Three were famous in the underground scene. Eppard has mentioned that their main influences are Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, ... (read more)

Report this review (#299494) | Posted by DeKay | Friday, September 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Now trying to find 3 are quite a challenge, especially online, with the name of the band being a number, quite a common number if I'm not mistaken. Yes, I did search online for this album, saying that Newry is like a bottomless pit when it comes to music (only found the new Hawkwind album yeste ... (read more)

Report this review (#291322) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Wednesday, July 21, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is a pretty good album. Nothing more, nothing less. 3, the crossover band from Woodstock, really hit a home run for me with their last release, "The End is Begun". After hearing it, I scrambled to purchase the previous release, Wake Pig. My overall impression? Meh. 3's strength lie ... (read more)

Report this review (#239117) | Posted by Tarquin Underspoon | Sunday, September 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THREE "Wake Pig"