G3: LIVE IN TOKYO

8. War
9. Foxy Lady
10. La Grange
11. Smoke on the Water

Total Time approx (108:00)

Search STEVE VAI G3: Live in Tokyo lyrics

Search STEVE VAI G3: Live in Tokyo tabs

John Petrucci/Guitar
Steve Vai /Guitar
Joe Satriani/Guitar

Label: Epic
Sound formats: PCM stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

Thanks to HughesJB4 for the addition

STEVE VAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEVE VAI G3: Live in Tokyo Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Story of LightStory of Light
Alive in an Ultra WorldAlive in an Ultra World
Sony 2001
Real Illusions: ReflectionsReal Illusions: Reflections
Epic Records 2005
Steve Vai: Live At The Astoria London. Pour Guitare by US $10.08 Buy It Now 5h 15m
G3 Live In Concert Joe Satraini Eric Johnson Steve Vai DVD NICE US $6.95 Buy It Now 8h 38m
ROCK VIDEO MONTHLY HEAVY METAL SEPTEMBER 1995 RARE VHS! KYUSS, STEVE VAI, TUFF! US $4.79 Buy It Now 14h 2m
Steve Vai Live In Astoria London DVD Region ALL, NTSC US $11.25 Buy It Now 14h 52m
Steve Vai Where The Wild Things Are Dvd Signed By Steve Vai US $22.49 [0 bids]
JOE SATRIANI-The Satch Tapes-CHICKENFOOT-Guitar-SPINAL TAP-Steve Vai-ROCK-Vhs US $5.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Vai Live at Astoria London Guitar Concert Performance Music Video DVD NEW US $18.95 [0 bids]
Steve Vai Alien Love Secrets VHS-Hal Leonard Release US $6.95 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE VAI - ALIEN LOVE SECRETS (1995) MUSIC LIVE VIDEOS - U.K. VHS US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Vai US $4.99 [0 bids]
Steve Vai - Live at The Astoria (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc) SHIPS NEXT DAY US $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Vai - Live at The Astoria (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc Set, Two Disc Set) 4HRS US $6.99 [0 bids]
Steve Vai Alien Love Secrets 1998 DVD US $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BAD BRAINS Pro-Pain SEPULTURA Steve Vai ANTHRAX Therapy OZZY videos 1994 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Vai:alien Love Secrets - DVD Region 1 Brand New Free Shipping US $21.48 Buy It Now 2 days
G3 LIVE CONCERT Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani/Steve Vai VHS US $9.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Steve Vai - Live At The Astoria London (2003) - Used - Digital Video Disc US $3.80 Buy It Now 2 days
ROCK VIDEO MONTHLY VHS SEPT 1995 HEAVY METAL KYUSS STEVE VAI TUFF THERION US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Joe Satriani-The Satch Tapes (VHS 1992) Steve Vai~Spinal Tap~1 CENT US $0.01 [0 bids]
Steve Vai - Live at The Astoria (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc Set, Two Disc Set) US $0.99 [0 bids]
STEVE VAI - BILLY SHEEHAN - TONY MACALPINE - 2 DVD SET US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Joe Satriani - Live 2 DVD Steve Vai Chickenfoot Deep Purple CD Sammy Hagar CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
2 DVD Set Where the Wild Things Are Live Steve Vai New ! Sealed ! 2011 US $10.74 Buy It Now 4 days
Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets - Live at the Astoria London - 2 DVD LOT US $34.99 [0 bids]
Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets (VHS, 1998) US $3.77 [0 bids]
G3 LIVE IN CONCERT, JOE SATRIANI, ERIC JOHNSON, STEVE VAI VHS US $7.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Joe Satriani Yngwie Malmsteen Steve Vai VHS Video Tape Lot Of 8 Rock Concert US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets Performance DVD! NEW! US $15.57 Buy It Now 5 days
Steve Vai: Live at the Astoria, London - Hardcover Region 2 Brand New Free Shipp US $21.03 Buy It Now 5 days
Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets (VHS, 1998) US $10.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are (DVD, 2009) US $3.99 [0 bids]
METALHEAD VIDEO MAGAZINE VOLs 2 + 4 Slaughter Steve Vai David Lee Roth NEW 2-vhs US $3.97 [0 bids]
Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets (VHS, 1998) US $3.00 Buy It Now 5 days
STEVE VAI - LIVE AT THE ASTORIA LONDON 2-Disc DVD Set US $9.59 Buy It Now 5 days
STEVE VAI - VISUAL SOUND THEORIES: LIVE DVD US $9.59 Buy It Now 5 days
STEVE VAI: VISUAL SOUND THEORIES - LIVE WITH THE HOLLAND METROPOLE ORKEST - (THE US $10.47 Buy It Now 5 days
Steve Vai - Where The Other Wild Things Are (Deluxe Collection [CD New] US $34.54 Buy It Now 5 days
Steve Vai live at the Astoria London 2 DVD set US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
STEVE VAI "For The Love Of God" VHS Promo RARE US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
STEVE VAI: WHERE THE OTHER WILD THINGS ARE [IMPORT] NEW DVD BOXSET US $31.56 Buy It Now 6 days
Hal Leonard Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets DVD US $19.95 Buy It Now 6 days
DVD G3 LIVE IN DENVER JOE SATRIANI STEVE VAI MALMSTEEN US $8.07 Buy It Now 7 days
PCU VHS JEREMY PIVEN DAVID SPADE MEGAN WARD STEVE VAI GEORGE CLINTON US $3.20 Buy It Now 7 days
VHS: METALHEAD VIDEO MAGAZINE VOL. II....JIMI HENDRIX-STEVE VAI + US $7.77 Buy It Now 7 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are (Blu-ray Disc, 2009, 2-Disc Set) US $27.95 Buy It Now 7 days
STEVE VAI - ALIEN LOVE SECRETS NEW DVD US $20.21 Buy It Now 8 days
G3 "LIVE IN CONCERT" VHS 1997 JOE SATRIANI ERIC JOHNSON STEVE VAI US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
G3 JOE SATRIANI STEVE VAI YNGWIE MALMSTEEN Live In Denver 2003 Concert DVD PAL US $21.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Crossroads (DVD, 2004) Ralph Macchio/Joe Seneca/Jami Gertz/Steve Vai NEW US $9.95 Buy It Now 8 days
G3 LIVE IN CONCERT Laserdisc Joe Satriani Eric Johnson Steve Vai VHTF US release US $15.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Steve Vai - Live at The Astoria (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc Set, Two Disc Set) US $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
STEVE VAI - VISUAL SOUND THEORIES (DVD) (2007) US $13.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Steve Vai - Live at The Astoria (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc Set, Two Disc Set) US $13.00 Buy It Now 9 days
STEVE VAI - VISUAL SOUND THEORIES: LIVE WITH THE HOLLAND METROPOLE - NEW DVD US $8.34 Buy It Now 9 days
(DVD) G3 - Live In Tokyo / Joe Satriani / Steve Vai / John Petrucci US $7.99 Buy It Now 10 days
(DVD) G3 - Live In Denver / Joe Satriani / Steve Vai / Yngwie Malmsteen US $7.99 Buy It Now 10 days
G3 Live In Concert DVD Joe Satriani Eric Johnson Steve Vai 1996 5.15 23 0 US $14.98 Buy It Now 10 days
G3 LIVE IN CONCERT..JOE SATRIANI-STEVE VAI-ERIC JOHNSON US $5.97 Buy It Now 10 days
Steve Vai - Live at The Astoria (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc Set, Two Disc Set) US $7.95 Buy It Now 10 days
G3 LIVE CONCERT Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani/Steve Vai VHS GREAT CONDITION US $4.49 Buy It Now 11 days
Steve Vai/Holland Metropole Orkest Visual Sound Theories DVD Region 1, NTSC US $8.36 Buy It Now 11 days
STEVE VAI: WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE [BLU-RAY] [REGION FREE] NEW BLU-RAY US $19.31 Buy It Now 11 days
G3 Live in Concert - Joe Satriani Eric Johnson Steve Vai (1997) VHS rock music US $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
DVD G3 LIVE IN TOKYO JOE SATRIANI STEVE VAI PETRUCCI US $8.07 Buy It Now 12 days
Alien Love Secrets, Good DVD, Steve Vai, US $19.38 Buy It Now 13 days
Steve Vai - Visual Sound Theories: Live with the Holland Metropole Orkest (DVD) US $11.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Steve Vai Live At The Astoria London DVD US $18.09 Buy It Now 14 days
PCU (DVD, 2009) Jeremy Piven, David Spade, Jon Favreau, score Steve Vai US $1.99 Buy It Now 15 days
G3 - Live in Tokyo (DVD, 2005 Joe Satriani,y Steve Vai and John Petrucci, '03 US $7.99 Buy It Now 15 days
New DVD Steve Vai Wild Thing F/S from Japan US $112.99 Buy It Now 16 days
STEVE VAI - LIVE AT ASTORIA LONDON NEW DVD US $20.21 Buy It Now 16 days
Steve Vai - Live at The Astoria (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc Set, Two Disc Set) US $6.99 Buy It Now 16 days
STEVE VAI - LIVE AT THE ASTORIA - NEW DVD BOXSET US $11.26 Buy It Now 17 days
Learn to Play Steve Vai: Volume 3 - Hardcover Region 2 Brand New Free Shipping US $44.47 Buy It Now 18 days
STEVE VAI / HOLLAND METROPOLE ORKEST - VISUAL SOUND THEORIES NEW DVD US $19.50 Buy It Now 19 days
Steve Vai - Live At The Astoria London (2003) - DVD US $4.99 Buy It Now 19 days
STEVE VAI**WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE**DVD US $14.40 Buy It Now 19 days
STEVE VAI - WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (2PC) NEW BLURAY US $32.78 Buy It Now 20 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are *New Blu-ray* US $18.41 Buy It Now 20 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are Blu-ray Region A US $19.30 Buy It Now 20 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are - Blu-ray Disc (Blu-ray) Region B Brand New US $30.55 Buy It Now 20 days
G3 LIVE IN CONCERT (JOE SATRIANI, ERIC JOHNSON, STEVE VAI) DVD R4 US $16.58 Buy It Now 20 days
Stuart Hamm - Hot Licks Slap, Pop & Tap for the Bass OOP Vhs Steve Vai US $4.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Steve Vai: Alien Love Secrets DVD Region 1, NTSC US $13.84 Buy It Now 21 days
Steve Vai: Live at the Astoria London DVD Region 1, NTSC US $11.92 Buy It Now 21 days
Steve Vai Satriani Blu Ray DVD Lot US $36.00 Buy It Now 21 days
Quick Licks For Guitar Steve Vai-Melodic Shredding DVD US $18.40 Buy It Now 21 days
Steve Vai - Where The Wild Things Are (2009) - Used - Digital Video Disc US $6.98 Buy It Now 21 days
G3 Live in Concert Japanese VHS Satriani Steve Vai US $49.95 Buy It Now 22 days
Steve Vai: Visual Sound Theories - Live with the Holland Metropole Orkest - (The US $12.89 Buy It Now 22 days
G3 LIVE in concert_Steve Vai_Joe Satriani_Johnson_used DVD_ships from AUS!_bo3 US $10.50 Buy It Now 22 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are - Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) Region 2 Bra US $23.61 Buy It Now 22 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are DVD Region ALL, NTSC US $12.10 Buy It Now 22 days
STEVE VAI: VISUAL SOUND THEORIES LIVE**DVD US $11.10 Buy It Now 23 days
Steve Vai-melodic Shredding - DVD-STANDARD Region 1 Brand New Free Shipping US $21.50 Buy It Now 23 days
STEVE VAI - WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (2PC) NEW DVD US $25.24 Buy It Now 23 days
Steve Vai Alien Love Secrets VHS Video Tape 1998 Hardshell Case US $5.99 Buy It Now 23 days
STEVE VAI - Alien Love Secrets (DVD, full performances to all tracks, 2006) US $8.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Steve Vai: Where the Wild Things Are (DVD, 2009) Autographed Copy US $35.00 Buy It Now 23 days
Steve Vai - Visual Sound Theories DVD (Platinum Col) - New & Sealed! Region 4 US $12.52 Buy It Now 23 days

More places to buy STEVE VAI music online Buy STEVE VAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STEVE VAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STEVE VAI G3: Live in Tokyo ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(50%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(42%)

STEVE VAI G3: Live in Tokyo reviews

Review by Petrovsk Mizinski
4 stars This is the this the third G3 DVD, and one that caught my attention with the inclusion of John Petrucci. I've been watching this DVD since only months after it was released 2005, so I've gotten to know it quite well in that time. Prior to this DVD, I had never seen any live footage of John Petruccm so naturally I was curious as to what he would be like on stage and as a guitarist myself, curious as to what his playing style looked like live.

John Petrucci's set was first up, and he plays two songs here, both from his debut solo album he was presenting live for the first time during his time on the G3 tour. The first song is Glasgow Kiss, which has a nice opening lick, and some nice drumming from Portnoy and a cool interplay section around the 3 minute mark between Dave La Rue and Petrucci. The part of the song that really hits me in the gut, is the main guitar solo section. Petrucci deviates from the studio album version, but this is no cause for concern, as the version he plays here is just as emotionally gripping. Maybe not that great a deal of a problem, but towards the last 2 minutes of the song, due to some of the camera angles, we are exposed to some annoyingly bright colored lighting on screen, and this annoys me everytime I watch is, and that isn't even the with the brightness on my computer monitor or TV screen on full. The next song is Damage Control, which to my mind is the more progressive of the two. The riffs are cool, some very nice solos, and hell, even a bass solo from Dave La Rue which is a nice touch. One thing I find particularly enjoyable about this song, is that it displays so many moods and emotions, from a cool type of attitude, to tension, to feelings of release and much more. While I found the songs highly enjoyable and the set in general to be satisfying, I just think maybe Petrucci could have displayed a bit more stage presence like he has displayed in his more usual environment of Dream Theater and one more song would have been a nice addition too.

Next up is Vai's set, and for those of you familar with Vai, you can come to expect the crazy showmanship he displays here. If you're not familar with him, be ready for something pretty crazy. Before he is even on stage, we can hear Vai making some crazy sounds on his guitar that are quite amusing. Then he gets on stage and action truly begins almost right away. The band kick into the Vai classic, The Audience Is Listening and the stage performance is suitably crazy for such a rockin' song. I remember the first time I watched this DVD, and watching the facial expressions that Vai makes duing the first main guitar solo, just made me crack up laughing. Even many views later, it brings a smile of amusement to my face everytime. Bass master Billy Sheehan gives us a thundering bass solo straight after Vai's solo, then we get to see them do a cool stage trick, which involves Vai standing behid Sheehan while fretting his bass guitar, while Sheehan frets Steve's guitar, and this makes for remarkable fun and entertaining viewing each and everytime. Next we have Building The Church, in which Vai seems to take on a more serious and restrained stage performance here, but I think it was best and suits the song better anyway. The beginning tapping lick is just insane, and I'm sure would make many jaws drop upon the first viewing of this. There is a lot of nice melodies in this song, and the solos, like many Vai guitar solos, are not just tecnical, but I feel the fire as his fingers melt the frets. A great song and a great performance to match, superb stuff. K'm-Pee-Du-Wee is a quieter song than the other two, and with the Lydian tonality, sounds very dreamy and out there. Before the actual song kicks in, we get an interplay between Vai and Sheehan, and this is actually my favorite part of this track, because the playing between the pair here is just so beautiful and intriguing. The rest of the song is great for the most part, but the problem for me lies in the excess noodling around half way into the song, which could have been left out, and after repeated views, it just makes the track feel like it drags on, which is disappointing especially after an exciting first two songs of the set.

Satriani's set is a mixed bag here, with an older song and some newer ones. Up in Flames is a classic Satch style rocker, with nothing particularly remarkable about it, but still a good song. The song that really gets me, is Searching. It deviates a lot from the studio version, but it seems more structured here and I actually think this is my favorite rendition of the song and my favorite track off the whole DVD. Joe's playing here is sheer brilliance. Whether it's a clean rhythm part, or guitar solo, his playing here never fails to capture my heart and mind. There is a variety of moods and emotions here, and this song takes me to another world everytime, it's just so powerful. Joe's performance matches the song suitably, never being over the top or trying to make it feel like his on an ego trip, instead every move and facial expression he makes just seems to display how much this song moves him while he plays. The next song is a classic Satch song, and a good rocker, but again it just can't beat Searching for pure brialliance, but nonetheless a good way to end the set, with a very good and charged performance from Joe and the band.

We now come to the Jam, which for many surely is the peak of excitement in a G3 experience, whether seen live, heard on a CD or watched on a DVD. Joe is again the main guy here, and introduces John Petrucci, Steve Vai and guest drummer Mike Portnoy to the drum throne (normally Jeff Campitelli plays the drums on a G3 jam). The first song is Foxy Lady, with Satch on vocals. Despite his rather limited vocal range, he actually sounds pretty good for the song. Once the soloing jam kicks in, hell breaks loose, but it's still a controlled chaos fortunately, with some superb solos from our 3 Gs. although Vai seemed to not be at his peak unfortunately during this song, or the next either, which is a shame considering how good he was during the previous G3 albums/DVDs. Fortunately this is somewhat made up for with Satch and Petrucci both having awesome solos on their first runs through. The ZZ Top classic La Grange sees Jeff back on the drums, with a great vocal performance from none other than our bass maestro Billy. Like Foxy Lady, Joe and John really shine on the solos here, with Vai lagging a little in quality of his solos The night ends with Smoke On the Water. I was a bit worried it would sound old and dated, given how much I've been exposed to the main riff, but this is a truly spirited performance and the guys did a great job of putting some serious energy and kick back into it. Joe's first solo is always the one that grabs me the most, and even during the second chorus Satch plays a lead line along to the vocals, and Satch just truly makes his guitar sing and wail so amazing well. Again, Petrucci had some fantastic solos and fortunately Vai is a bit better on this track.

Once you have done watching the performance, there is the bonus soundcheck, and individual commentary from the 3 Gs, all 3 of which give us some more insight into the G3 tour, experience, and even the guitarists as people.

I still don't think this is as good as G3: Live in Denver, but it's still a great performance, with my only major gripes perhaps being Vai not always in top form during the jam and not always playing stuff that seemed right in the musical context. Highly recommended to any guitar fan.

Send comments to Petrovsk Mizinski (BETA) | Report this review (#169638) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 03, 2008

Post a review of STEVE VAI "G3: Live in Tokyo"