THE ANTHOLOGY/THE ULTIMATE ANTHOLOGY

Canterbury Scene

Caravan The Anthology/The Ultimate Anthology album cover

Buy CARAVAN Music
DVD/Video, released in 2007

1. Nine feet underground (18:57)
2. For Richard (13:02)
3. Caravan medley (15:24)
- The Dabsong Conshirtoe
- Backwards
- A Hunting We Shall Go
4. Nightmare (9:12)
5. All the way (3:49)
6. A very smelly little oik (6:31)
7. If I could do it all over again.. (listed but omitted)
8. Liar (7:03)

Bonus tracks
9. Magic man (3:54)
10. Place of my own (3:05)
11. Golf girl (4:11)

- Jim Leverton / bass, vocals
- Doug Boyle / lead guitar
- Simon Bentall / percussion

Classic Rock Legends CRL1568

Thanks to easy livin for the addition

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN The Anthology/The Ultimate Anthology Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
CaravanCaravan
Universal I.S. 2002
Waterloo LilyWaterloo Lily
Caravan & The New SymphoniaCaravan & The New Symphonia
Polygram UK 2001

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN The Anthology/The Ultimate Anthology ratings distribution

CARAVAN The Anthology/The Ultimate Anthology reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars If I could do it all over again. I'd make sure the track list was correct

This is actually a DVD compilation which brings together songs from three concerts already available on DVD.

We begin with two tracks from a 1990 performance in Nottingham UK, previously released on the Live in Nottingham DVD. The versions of Nine feet underground and For Richard are pretty much the full renditions by the classic Caravan line up. It does seem a bit odd being presented with the traditional Caravan closer (For Richard) so early in the set here, but both songs sound as superb as they ever did. One minor quibble though is that the director appears to have some difficulty distinguishing between sax and keyboards, frequently giving us shots of the wrong band member during solos.

From Nottingham, we are transported to Trenton, New Jersey, USA for a 2002 gig previously released as A Night's tale, live in the USA. From this gig, we also have two lengthy tracks, including a superb Caravan medley. The medley draws in a fine cross section of the band's works, merging them together seamlessly into a wonderful suite. The footage mixes film of the rehearsals with parts from the actual performance.

Finally, we return across the pond to London UK for a gig in 2003. Three tracks from this concert are included (not four as listed on the sleeve, If I could do it all over again.. does not in fact appear), including the superb All the way from Blind dog at St Dunstans. Unfortunately, this great song is cut back from its original 9 minutes to less than half of that.

The bonus tracks are archive film from Beat Club performances for German television in the early 1970's, including a full colour version of Golf girl. It is perhaps these three tracks (the others are Magic man and Place of my own) which make this collection attractive to fans of Caravan.

The picture quality is a bit variable, with the Nottingham footage being a bit fuzzy while the 21st Century recordings are much better. The 5.1 surround sound is generally very good.

This collection tends to be sold at a very cheap price these days, so those with a passing interest in seeing Caravan in concert would be well advised to pick this up. Committed fans should go for the original DVDs.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#178686) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 02, 2008

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars A low-budget compilation from previously released CARAVAN live DVD's. As Easy Livin' points out, there is even a fault in the track listing, and also otherwise there is a cheapie feel to the DVD, but I'm quite happy with it nevertheless. The sound is OK, the picture is here and there far from perfect, but overall the contents are good and gives a well-balanced selection from the whole discography, with the emphasis on the classic 70's era. Included are lengthy classics 'Nine Feet Underground' and 'For Richard'.

No fancy live visualistics, just plain professional playing that is enjoyable to watch and listen to. For the most part tracks are instrumental, and so it's very nice bonus to have three early videos of 'Magic Man', 'Place of My Own' and 'Golf Girl'. Recommendable for any CARAVAN friend.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#402827) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 18, 2011

Post a review of CARAVAN "The Anthology/The Ultimate Anthology"