GAUDETE

- Maddy Prior / lead vocals
- Peter Knight / violins, mandolin, banjo, piano
- Rick Kemp / bass
- Bob Johnson / guitar

Chrysalis CHS 2007 (single, p/s, UK, December 1972)

Thanks to easy livin for the addition

STEELEYE SPAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEELEYE SPAN Gaudete Music

Wintersmith: In Collaboration with Terry PratchettWintersmith: In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett
Park UK 2013
Box set
Park UK 2009
Now We Are Six AgainNow We Are Six Again
Park UK 2012
Steeleye Span - Portfolio - EAN 5013136164725 {CD Album} 0514-JL-70 US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 11m
ROCKET COTTAGE LP (VINYL) UK CHRYSALIS 1976, STEELEYE SPAN, Acceptable US $11.10 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Steeleye Span - Best Of CD *NEW* US $11.87 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Steeleye Span(7" Vinyl)Hard Times Of Old England / Cadgewith Anthem-VG/VG US $5.08 Buy It Now 7h 52m
Steeleye Span - 'Commoners Crown' - Original Poster Size Ad - Feb 1975 US $13.58 Buy It Now 8h 35m
STEELEYE SPAN - 'All Around My Hat' - Original Poster Size Ad - MM -1975 US $15.28 Buy It Now 8h 41m
STEELEYE SPAN Sails Of Silver UK LP 1980 ex minus/vg US $11.87 Buy It Now 8h 44m
STEELEYE SPAN All Around My Hat UK LP +insert 1975 ex/ex US $11.87 Buy It Now 8h 49m
STEELEYE SPAN BELOW THE SALT chrysalis 72 A1UB1U UK Lp US $11.87 Buy It Now 8h 58m
STEELEYE SPAN Individually & Collectively 1st PRESS VINYL LP VG+/EX Charisma CS5 US $11.88 Buy It Now 8h 59m
STEELEYE SPAN "ORIGINAL MASTERS" 1977 DOUBLE GREATEST HITS LP* US $3.00 Buy It Now 9h 9m
STEELEYE SPAN-PARCEL OF ROGUES 1973 LP in GATEFOLD SLEEVE US $11.87 Buy It Now 9h 36m
STEELEYE SPAN SAILS OF SILVER chrysalis 80 A1B2 Lp MINT US $13.56 Buy It Now 10h 50m
STEELEYE SPAN ROCKET COTTAGE chrysalis 76 A2B2 Lp MINT US $20.35 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Steeleye Span-all around my hat.7" dj copy. US $11.88 Buy It Now 11h 2m
STEELEYE SPAN now we are six LP VG+ CHR 1053 Vinyl 1974 Record US $18.00 Buy It Now 12h 59m
STEELEYE SPAN all around my hat 7" Record Chrysalis Vinyl US $8.91 Buy It Now 13h 3m
Steeleye Span All Around My Hat VINYL LP 1975 UK Chrysalis Lyric Insert US $11.88 Buy It Now 13h 32m
STEELEYE SPAN Storm Force Ten folk prog Lp US $8.56 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN Sails Of Silver (Chrysalis UK Original LP 1980) Still Sealed! MINT US $16.96 Buy It Now 14h 14m
STEELEYE SPAN PROGRAMME BRITISH TOUR 1981 US $16.97 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six LP - Chrysalis Records CHR 1053 - David Bowie US $3.99 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN 1982 CONCERT PROGRAMME SIGNED AND TICKET US $20.37 Buy It Now 15h 10m
Steeleye Span Time Span 2 Record LP folk (EX) US $15.99 Buy It Now 15h 21m
Steeleye Span-All Around My Hat UK LP 1975 Original Green Chrysalis Label US $6.77 Buy It Now 15h 21m
STEELEYE SPAN Storm Force Ten '77 8 Track Tape in Box NM- UK FOLK ROCK US $5.00 Buy It Now 16h 9m
STEELEYE SPAN Rocket Cottage '76 UK FOLK MIKE BATT 8 Track Tape in Box SEALED M US $5.00 Buy It Now 16h 9m
STEELEYE SPAN Live at Last '78 8 Track Tape in Box NM- UK FOLK ROCK US $5.00 Buy It Now 16h 9m
STEELEYE SPAN - BELO THE SALT - CHRYSALIS-1008 - (1972) US $25.00 Buy It Now 16h 18m
STEELEYE SPAN Hark! the Village Wait Shanachie 79052 NM US $11.00 Buy It Now 17h 16m
STEELEYE SPAN Below The Salt LP Chrysalis CHR 1008 (1972) VG+ gatefold US $4.79 Buy It Now 17h 25m
Steeleye Span - Parcel of Rogues - Vinyl LP - VG++ US $16.00 Buy It Now 17h 32m
Steeleye Span - Below the Salt - Vinyl LP - VG++ US $16.00 Buy It Now 17h 32m
Steeleye Span Best Of inc All Around My Hat Gaudete + Cassette Tape - TESTED US $6.79 Buy It Now 17h 33m
STEELEYE SPAN ROCKET COTTAGE LP NM SHRINK US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 34m
(TIM HART-S/T)-Maddy Prior/Steeleye Span/English folk -I3-LP US $17.64 Buy It Now 18h 16m
Steeleye Span - All Around My Hat 7" US $7.62 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Tim Hart & Maddy Prior Summer Solstice Mini LP CD JAPAN POCE-1017 Steeleye Span US $9.99 [1 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN - TEMPTED AND TRIED - NEW CD US $14.49 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Steeleye Span: Below the Salt LP 12" British 1970's Folk Electric Rock. US $5.50 Buy It Now 20h 55m
Steeleye Span - Hark! The Village Wait CD US $19.57 Buy It Now 23h 16m
Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six CD US $19.57 Buy It Now 23h 16m
Steeleye Span Live At Last! UK vinyl LP album record CHR1199 CHRYSALIS 1978 US $28.77 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC/Steeleye Span 1973 Hove Town Hall Concert Poster US $76.39 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Storm Force Ten LP CHRYSALIS 1977 Celtic Rock Essentil Maddy Prior US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Audiiophile STEELEYE SPAN All Around My Hat OMR HSM LP NM US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six Again CD US $20.94 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN-PLEASE TO SEE THE KING-JAPAN ISSUE +OBI iii US $74.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Snails of Silver "Promo Copy" EX+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - ALL AROUND MY HAT 7" VINYL US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - FIGHTING FOR STRANGERS 7" VINYL US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - HARD TIMES OF OLD ENGLAND 7" VINYL US $8.47 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - SOMEWHERE IN LONDON 7" VINYL PS US $10.17 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - THOMAS THE RHYMER 7" VINYL US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN now we are six CHR 1053 A1U/B1U green label first uk LP PS EX/EX US $15.26 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN rocket cottage CHR 1123 uk chrysalis LP PS EX/EX US $15.26 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - RAVE ON / THE KING 7" VINYL EP US $7.62 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN parcel of rogues CHR 1046 uk chrysalis LP PS EX/EX US $15.19 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN all around my hat CHR 1091 uk chrysalis 1975 LP PS EX/EX + insert US $15.26 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six (1991) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span original 2 sided Australian flyer from 1994 US $2.82 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - ALL AROUND MY HAT RARE DUTCH ISSUE CD 724348673428 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
steeleye span - parcel of rogues - 12" vinyl gatefold album US $15.26 Buy It Now 1 day
THE WOODS BAND~V.Rare Folk CD~crest29~Rockburgh Records~STEELEYE SPAN~POGUES~NEW US $84.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Now We Are Six UK CHR 1053 1974 LP Vinyl US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED 8-Track STEELEYE SPAN Commoners Crown UK PS US $20.98 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - All Around My Hat - Ex Con 7" Single US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Below The Salt. 1972 UK Chrysalis LP Ex! US $6.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span(7" Vinyl)Hard Times Of Old England / Cadgewith Anthem-VG/VG US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Thomas The Rhymer/ Mooncoin Jig - Chrysalis - CHS2026 (7") US $5.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Original 1975 STEELEYE SPAN All Around My Hat LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" CHR.1091 US $2.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Hark! The Village Wait" 1976 Chrysalis reissue LP US $6.99 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span/Now We Are Six/1974 Chrysalis LP/EX US $8.47 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Bedlam Born [CD New] US $13.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Below the Salt" 1972 US $5.59 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span - Please To See The King Lp US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN "PARCEL OF ROGUES" LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - NOW WE ARE SIX - 1974 UK LP RECORD US $6.79 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - Platinum Disc & Song Sheet - ALL AROUND MY HAT US $135.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Rocket Cottage - LP NM Vinyl Record US $8.00 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN--Live At Last!--LP US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jethro Tull J-Tull Dot Com SEALED 1999 USA CD Steeleye Span Fairport Convention US $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Jethro Tull Bends Like a Willow SEALED 1997UK CD5 Steeleye Span Richard Thompson US $18.95 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Cottage Rocket 1976 CHRYSALIS CLASSIC ROCK LP US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Jethro Tull Bursting Out: Jethro Tull Live SEALED 2004 USA 2CD Set Steeleye Span US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Lp-STEELEYE SPAN-Rocket Cottage-1976-Maddy Prior US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lp-STEELEYE SPAN-Live at Last !-1978 Maddy Prior US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN---PARCEL OF ROGUES..1973 CHRYSALIS RECORDS LABEL..GATEFOLD...MINT US $4.85 [0 bids]
Jethro Tull ?- A Slipstream SEALED 2004 CD and NTSC CD & DVD. Steeleye Span US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN: All Around My Hat LP CHRYSALIS RECORDS CHR1091 US 1975 US $10.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span UK Tour 1982 Concert Programme Ex Condition US $42.42 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN All Around My Hat 1994 UK EMI Gold Reissue ENGLISH FOLK ROCK US $10.10 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Horkstow Grange 1998 UK Park Records CD ENGLISH FOLK ROCK US $11.80 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Please To See The King 1991 UK Mooncrest Reissue ENGLISH FOLK ROCK US $25.38 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Tempted and Tried BGO Records CLASSIC FOLK ROCK REISSUE US $13.49 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN The Best Of Chrysalis UK Swindon CD MADDY PRIOR FOLK ROCK US $10.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span-Now We Are Six-LP-Chrysalis-CHR 1053-Promo-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $3.69 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span-Parcel Of Rogues-LP-Chrysalis-CHR 1046-Gatefold-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $3.69 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span-Sails Of Silver-LP-Takoma-7097-Near Mint-Vinyl Record US $3.99 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span-Recollections-LP-Chrysalis-L 37753-Og Sleeve-England-Vinyl Record US $4.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy STEELEYE SPAN music online Buy STEELEYE SPAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STEELEYE SPAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STEELEYE SPAN Gaudete ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(25%)

STEELEYE SPAN Gaudete reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars The first UK hit single sung in Latin

The track "Gaudete" (the English translation of the title is "Rejoice") from Steeleye Span's 1972 "Below the salt" album was belatedly released as a single in time for Christmas that year. It sank without trace, but was re-released in identical format in late 1973.

The 1973 re-releasing of the song as a single proved to be an inspired move, giving the band their first hit single. It rose to number 14 on the UK chart in December that year, where it peaked during the Christmas week.

"Gaudete" is actually a Christmas song, although the fact that the lyrics are sung in Latin makes this less than obvious. References to the Virgin Mary can be heard though, the song probably dating from the 16th century. The delivery is a cappella sung in multi part harmony and emphasising the vocal prowess of the band. It may not be particularly representative of Steeleye Span overall, but it did serve to bring them to the attention of a much wider audience. Even today, the song can often be heard on the radio at Christmas, and is regularly included on themed compilations.

To emphasise the festive nature of the release, the B-side is a non-album cover of the Christmas carol the "Holly and the ivy". While hardly an essential Steeleye Span song in itself, its rarity does make this single a must for devotees of the band.

Incidentally, a version of the song can be found on Chris Squire's 2007 Christmas album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#208010) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 22, 2009

3 stars "Gaudete" is one of the most beautiful and haunting numbers by Steeleye Span. God, Maddy Prior has some pipes! I love this song. This single release from 1972, which has the b-side of "The Holly and the Ivy", comes from what could be considered the classic age of the band, early to mid 1970's. I bel ... (read more)

Report this review (#749401) | Posted by mohaveman | Saturday, May 05, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STEELEYE SPAN "Gaudete"