MONOLITH

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

In Mourning Monolith album cover

Buy IN MOURNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. For You to Know (6:15)
2. Debris (7:34)
3. The Poet and the Painter of Souls (5:40)
4. The Smoke (8:15)
5. A Shade of Plague (4:10)
6. With You Came Silence (6:10)
7. Pale Eye Revelation (6:17)
8. The Final Solution (Entering the Black Lodge) (12:52)

Search IN MOURNING Monolith lyrics

Search IN MOURNING Monolith tabs

- Tobias Netzell / vocals, guitar
- Pierre Stam / bass
- Björn Pettersson / guitar
- Tim Nedergård / guitar
- Christian Netzell / drums

Pulverised Records

Thanks to burritounit for the addition

IN MOURNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IN MOURNING Monolith Music

MonolithMonolith
Pulverised Import 2010

More places to buy IN MOURNING music online Buy IN MOURNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IN MOURNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IN MOURNING Monolith ratings distribution

IN MOURNING Monolith reviews

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars I sometimes wonder what's happening with Death Metal these days (yes, I call this Death Metal). Either I'm becoming more tolerant, or this music is getting softer and more melodic. In general speaking, it is hard rough, but let's be honest. You can find perfection in tyranny, as well as in beauty (beauty is more prominent). However, being rough, being not optimistic is not a crime, same as being optimistic is (hey you, haters of Moon Safari). Strange thing is that even most of my music works in my speakers, this one wasn't so successful (but as I said, most of music works [for me]), but this one is killing, striking greatness (yes, this word exist, hooray). For example Mannefall is metaphoric audioalization of simple act that every one of us must do from time to time. To catch your breath guys, that's it. Next round of melodic Tech Metal it is (so it's not plane, nor bird, it's Metal). I like this kind of "weaker" Tech Metal. Because it's not so "Extreme" (pun intended).

4(+), believe it or not, but you should believe, if you consider yourselves as "believer".

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#269239) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Monolith' - In Mourning (6/10)

Having only recently come to my attention, I had heard good things about this Swedish melodic death metal act before checking it out. Being described by some as 'one of the best metal albums of 2010,' I took it upon myself to give In Mourning's 'Monolith' a listen for myself to decide whether these claims were founded or not. As it turns out, this young band is certainly impressive in their own right. Taking the signature melodic metal sound of their home country (also called the 'Göteborg' sound), In Mourning makes a solid first impression. However, the route the band takes has been done to death already, and with legions of acts having already covered the same territory before, it might be difficult for this talented act to make a lasting stand.

From the first listen of the opening track, I instantly related the music of In Mourning to compatriot acts Dark Tranquility, Opeth, and In Flames, among others. A very polished sound, plenty of heavy melodic guitar work, growls and then a soaring, catchy chorus all tie this band together with the more experienced and travelled acts. The album starts off in a vein that is very typical of melodic death metal, but also very skilled and enjoyable. Throughout the first few tracks, there is solid song structure, choral hooks and occasional curveballs, such as an acoustic breakdown here and there. Towards the latter part of the album however, there is a very noticable (possibly intentional), gradual change of sound. While the beginning of the album took an upbeat and hard hitting approach to the music, things start sounding more like doom metal than anything as 'Monolith' nears it's closing. With heavy anthems like 'The Poet & The Painter Of Souls' and the funeral doom epic 'The Final Solution' sharing the same disc, 'Monolith' can feel at times like two separate works. However, the change of the sound from upbeat to depressive and forlorn makes for an interesting emotional journey.

While certainly not being the most original act I've come across, one thing In Mourning does very well, is the actual presentation and execution of their music. In a crystal clean vessel of production, it becomes all the more important for the musicians to give a very deliberate and purposeful execution. The members of In Mourning accomplish this by delivering a nearly flawless performance of their work. Tobias Netzell gives a good range of vocal work here running from growls to vulnerable clean vocals, although the majority of the vocal work here generally rests on low pitched grunts, typical of the genre.

In Mourning have established themselves as a talented act with 'Monolith.' There is a great performance, some decent songwriting ability and a competent package. The band wears their influences on their sleeve, but rarely succeeds at surpassing the giants of the style.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#321044) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010

3 stars Disappointing, at least from an extreme-metal-fan's point of view. The Shrouded Divine has become one of my favorite albums over the last two years. I would go as far as declaring it one of my favorite albums of the last decade. With that album being such a favorite of mine the expectations t ... (read more)

Report this review (#271007) | Posted by Robinanimate | Wednesday, March 10, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Dear fellow hardheaded progressiphiles, try imagine a band that plays a mix style of Opeth and In Flame or Dark Tranquility. If you happen to love those aforementioned, this is it...this is Monolith. I have to say I don't know much about the previous releases of In Mourning as this album, M ... (read more)

Report this review (#267534) | Posted by Jadittir | Monday, February 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IN MOURNING "Monolith"