MY GRANDMOTHER'S SPACE SUIT

Fonderia

Fonderia My Grandmother's Space Suit album cover

Buy FONDERIA Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Moebius Onion Rings (4:33)
2. Istanbul (6:43)
3. Loaded Gun (6:24)
4. Gravity Wave (5:44)
5. Liquid (6:42)
6. A Billion Electric Sheep (6:49)
7. Gojira (6:52)
8. I Can't Believe This Is Just a pop(e) Song (3:28)
9. Doctor's Hill (5:57)

- Emmanuel Louis / vocals and guitar
- Cristiano De Fabritiis / vibraphone

TuneCore Records

Thanks to Cesar Inca for the addition

FONDERIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FONDERIA My Grandmother's Space Suit Music

My Grandmother's Space SuitMy Grandmother's Space Suit
Biz
Re-EnterRe-Enter
Imports 2008

More places to buy FONDERIA music online Buy FONDERIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FONDERIA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FONDERIA My Grandmother's Space Suit ratings distribution

FONDERIA My Grandmother's Space Suit reviews

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars "My Grandmother's Space Suit" is, in itself, the answer to the question "how will Fonderia create a new repertoire of creative works after the delivery of magnificent sounds and moods in their previous album "Re>>enter"?". Well, they did so by reformulating their modern jazz framework. This album is a novelty in various aspects for Fonderia, one of them being the inclusion of two (not just one) sung tracks: 'Loaded Gun' (with lyrics based on a couple of poems by Emily Dickinson) and 'I Can't Believe This Is Just a Pop(e) Song' (a real musical parody featuring Belgian guitarist-singer Emmanuel Luis). 'Moebius Onion Rings' opens up the album on a melancholic note, bearing abundant shades of sonic warmth and introspective flairs (due mostly to the dynamics that Vicarelli creates at his electric piano). Even when the pace gets faster, the eerie melancholy prevails all the way through. This exercise on serene jazzy ambiences contrasts the robust exoticism of 'Istambul', one of the highlights in the album: its combination of fusion and acid-jazz owes much of its success to the exciting alternations of Bultrini and Pietropaoli's tasteful solos (actually, this is one of the most consistent musical strategies in the band's repertoire) for the development of the basic compositional subject. 'Loaded Gun' features guest vocalist Barbara Erame: relaxed in a tense way, atmospheric yet adorned with pertinente moments of density, this piece states some sort of mixture of 90s Gabriel and 00s Bjork: at least, this is how I can describe it. Eramo delivers the emotions beautifully. 'Gravity Wave' establishes yet another moment of vibrant modernity with its combination of trance and nu-jazz: this is really a piece that could feed a multitude's groove on a dance floor. 'Liquid', on the other hand, bears a majestic sort of progressive musicality, somewhat related to the band's second album. The synth solo in the middle section and the acoustic guitar arpeggios that go meandering in and out are my fave elements in this track. And so we get to 'A Billion Electric Sheep' (a tribute to Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?", I presume) is an exercise on un-jazz wrapped up in psychedelic wool (a-la Ozric Tentacles) and electronic satin (early 80s Kraftwerk). 'Gojira' continues in this electronica-friendly trend Albert with a rockier punch, which certainly helps the band to properly exploit the track's essential dynamics, mostly sustained on the rhythm duo's funky groove. There is an ethereal spacey interlude that adds an interesting variation before the return of the original drive for the closing part. With the 'I Can't Believe This Is Just a Pop(e) Song', Fonderia an guest Louis indulge in a Zappa- esque sort of pop parody (in the mould of "Zoot Allures" or "Joe's Garage", I guess). But let's not forget that this band is constantly experimental, and the use of Frippian guitar tricks in this song makes it no exception at all. The album's last track is 'Doctor's Hill', a piece that shares much of the intimate introspectiveness of the opener during its first 3 ½ minutes; the remaining part shifts toward a powerful climax. This end is tremendously colorful, which makes the album's conclusion an exciting experience. More exciting it is, of course, listening to the whole album many times in order to enjoy it more thoroughly with each listen: after all, this is a Fonderia album, which a guarantee of great quality eclectic jazz-rock.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#299404) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 16, 2010

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars My Grandmothers Spacesuit is Italian act Fonderia's third studio release, and the first I have heard. The music is, in general, instrumental music that has a fair amount of jazz and rock in it, but it seems to me there's a tiny bit of the techo/dance ethos going on behind the scenes as well. I wouldn't mind dancing to Istanbul, for example - not that I could, of course (whether it's a pandemic that applies to all proggers or just to me, dancing is not my strong suit).

As such, a lot of the tracks on this album are high energy, usually with a consistent rhythm section while the guitar, keys, and / or trumpets do cool things on top of it. The rhythms are what makes the music have that "danceable", energetic feeling, but it's what's done on top of it that makes these songs more interesting and give them a sense of development. Really a great combination.

The album features two songs that feature guests; Loaded Gun (the third track) and I Can't Believe This Is Just A Pop(e) Song (the eight). The positioning of these tracks was quite masterful, for they break up the album nicely. I'm particularly fond of Loaded Gun; it was in fact based off the strength of this track that I decided to purchase this album. It features the vocals of Barbara Eramo and poetry by Emily Dickinson. It really is a very beautiful track, and quite mysterious as well. The end section hits the emotions quite nicely. (On that note, there is also a wonderful music video for this track that is really good - a story based on, no images of the band playing, and it has a really cool feeling and level of mystery to it. Check it out, it's on youtube!)

The Pop(e) song is not about pops, the chorus sounds more like "poppy poppy poppy poppy pop over you", or something along those lines. It's upbeat, and fun, and closer to what the rest of the album sounds like (a bit less atmosphere than Loaded Gun).

There aren't really any bad songs on this album, but in my eyes, the standout tracks are Istanbul, Gravity Wave, and A Billion Electric Sheep. Enjoyable from beginning to end, this is definitely a recommended listen!

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#413850) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 09, 2011

4 stars Listening to this album is like purchasing a 16 meters long times 2 meters high painting....... and then installing it in a narrow hallway. It is next to impossible to get a full overview over this painting...... and this album. This album has most everything from the archives of ProgArchive ... (read more)

Report this review (#296304) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FONDERIA "My Grandmother's Space Suit"