MAFIA

Buy FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2010

1. Thru Our Scars (5:30)
2. Abyssal (6:45)
3. Conspiracy of Silence (5:30)
4. Blinded by Fear (3:10)
5. Mafia (3:00)

Search FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE Mafia lyrics

Search FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE Mafia tabs

- Tommaso Riccardi / Lead Vocals, Guitars
- Cristiano Trionfera / Guitars, Vocals, Orchestral Arrangements
- Paolo Rossi / Bass, Clean Vocals
- Francesco Paoli / Drums, Guitars, Vocals
- Francesco Ferrini / Piano

Thanks to CCVP for the addition
and to CCVP for the last updates

FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE Mafia Music

MafiaMafia
Willowtip Records 2010

More places to buy FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE music online Buy FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE Mafia ratings distribution

FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE Mafia reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Mafia' - Fleshgod Apocalypse (8/10)

When it comes to death metal, there's no denying that some of the world's most technically proficient and inhuman acts play within the abrasive and heavy style. Freed of many typical songwriting conventions, death metal musicians are given a wider playing field with which to sport their skills, and give a feeling of brutality and aggression scarcely seen in other styles. While all of this may certainly benefit death metal, many of the genre's adherents either fall into a technical, brutal sound with poor recording production, or a polished production that focuses on more melodic, conventional tendencies. With that being said, it's always a pleasure to be introduced to a death metal band that manages to record their sound beautifully, while all the while remaining viciously technical and heavy. Fleshgod Apocalypse is one such band, and on top of great production and unrelenting skill, their 2010 EP 'Mafia' showcases a few very unexpected twists that add to the EP being one of the most impressive I've heard in the past year.

'Thru Our Scars' opens 'Mafia' with full-force, immediately introducing the listener to Fleshgod's tightness as an act. To make what would otherwise be above-average tech metal better, symphonic influences (such as a violin breakdown, orchestral section) and even an operatic clean vocalist are thrown in, to never let the listen get too one-tracked in death metal. The second track 'Abyssal' flows in almost seamlessly, following the same heavy, yet beautiful sound of the band. To make things even more unique for death metal, the title track 'Mafia' is a classical piano piece, which- true to it's title- could easily fit as a musical theme for any mob movie. The only track here that isn't incredible is Fleshgod Apocalypse's cover of the At The Gates song 'Blinded By Fear,' which while staying true to the band's very technical approach, lacks all of the surprising nuances that makes the band so special.

A joke that is passed around a bit within the local death metal scene is that 'Mafia's album cover is actually a painting of the drummer. Humour aside, the intense percussion of Francesco Paoli is absolutely stunning. No stranger to the double-kick pedal, Paoli destroys his kit, and takes advantage of every possible drum fill to the max. Also of note are the great guitarists at work here, who effortlessly switch between crunchy, heavy riffs and neoclassical shredding.

While only still a relatively new band, Fleshgod Apocalypse shows some remarkable talent and promise, and if 'Mafia' is any sign, the band is well on it's way to going somewhere fantastic.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#370856) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 02, 2011

Review by UMUR
4 stars Mafia is an EP release by Italian death metal act Fleshgod Apocalypse. The EP was released in June 2010 by Willowtip Records. Ive read reviews of the bands debut album from 2009 called Oracles, but Mafia is my first encounter with Fleshgod Apocalypse.

The music on the 5 track, 23:55 minute long EP is brutal and technically well played death metal. Brutal death metal can swing both ways for me, which means that it can be extremely monotone and way too focused on brutality or it can be like the music on Mafia. The tracks on this EP are brutal as hell, but also composed in a very clever way, which means that all tracks stand out from each other, and all tracks contain intricate details to entertain the listener. The growling vocals are deep and brutal, but in addition to the growling vocals by vocalist/ guitarist Tommaso Riccardi were also treated to some semi-operatic clean vocals by bassist/ vocalist Paolo Rossi. The clean vocals are not a dominant feature and only appear in Thru Our Scars and Blinded by Fear, but they are really great for the variation. Some of the other details that help keep the brutal music interesting are samples, orchestral sections, piano interludes and other intricate features. While I spend time writing about those features the basis in the music is still brutal death metal. The pace is mosty fast to blasting but there are heavier parts too. The tracks may be brutal but they are full of hooks and recognisable parts.

I have to mention the drumming by Francesco Paoli as one of the greatest assets to the bands sound. The drums are pretty high in the mix and they sound very powerful. But its how they are played that really excites me. Were talking very fast and technical precision drumming that pushes the music forward ( Im somewhat reminded of Flo Mounier from Cryptopsy). The blasts are spot on and take a listen to those extremely fast played double bass drums. This is a case where triggered drums work wonders. The rest of the band are also very well playing and Id mention the neo-classical lead guitar playing as another highlight on the EP. Great themes and solos.

I mentioned that the drums are high in the mix and how well sounding and powerful they are, but evaluating the full production, its safe to say that this EP is very well sounding and that the sound suits the music perfectly.

Its so seldom Im surprised by really brutal death metal releases but Mafia has not only left me beaten and bruised ( yes its that brutal) but also intellectually intrigued and thats a rare achivement. This is a sure 4 star rating and Im actually leaning towards a 4.5.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#417440) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011

Review by colorofmoney91
4 stars I'm a runner, and this has become my fuel. I've owned this EP for about a month now, and I listen to it fairly frequently while I exercise.

Starting us off with a second of blast-beating followed by a couple seconds of violin, we are immediately set into a technical sounding metal groove. "Thru Our Scars" is a very good metal song, and I usually do not enjoy much metal. The whole song is kind of groovy, and there are semi-operatic vocals as the chorus, as sung by the bassist. Honestly, I'm not detecting much in the vein of prog or extreme technicality in anything over than the drums. And, actually, if it weren't for the pseudo-operatic vocals, I'd say this is just a run-of-the-mill grindcore-influenced death metal song, but it is still enjoyable.

The next song, "Abyssal", is more groovy death metal with impressive drumming, but no enchanting sung vocals. However, this song is a little bit more prog, but only a little bit; it changes up enough to keep itself interesting, and even includes samples from some angry Italian dude. As this song comes to an end, it leads seamlessly into the third track titled "Conspiracy of Silence", which follows by example in its initial groove. Again, very impressive drumming. They say the drummer is on the album cover, but I personally don't believe the accusation. I really enjoy the slower break in the middle of this song, because it gives a chance for the listener to relax a little bit, not to mention that this song marks the return of the semi-operatic vocals. I think this third song is the most technical on this EP, and it is a nice listen.

The fourth song, "Blinded by Fear", is a cover of the same song by a '90s melodic death metal band called At The Gates. There isn't much to say about this, except it's a good cover of a good song by a good band. Anyone who likes Gothenburg-style metal and hasn't checked out At The Gates, I definitely recommend picking up a copy of their album "Slaughter of the Soul", and I'm sure Fleshgod Apocalypse would agree with me, but I digress.

The final song on this album is titled "Mafia" and it is a beautiful piano solo. I love some good classical piano stuff, and this song really is great. This being a very heavy death metal EP, I didn't expect to come across a classical piano piece, let alone one as beautiful and well composed as this one. Ironically, this is probably my favorite song on the EP, and usually acts as my "rest time" music during my running sessions.

Aside from the actual music on this EP, I've seen an interview with the band where they explain the underlying theme of this EP, which is supposed to be the band expressing their hatred for the mafia corrupting the society of Italy. It seems like a good message, and a perfectly good reason to sound so damn angry. As for the music, it's all great if you love metal or are interested in what is going on in the metal scene these days.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#431352) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 11, 2011

3 stars Fleshgod Apocalypse is a death metal band (brutal death), that use to add symphonic passages into their music. Does it works? Depends on the songwriting. And Mafia EP are not that kind of brutal technical incoherent metal. It doesn't sound boring. The blast beats are hot blooded fast and clean. A ... (read more)

Report this review (#957238) | Posted by VOTOMS | Friday, May 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE "Mafia"