INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Vinyl$21.74
Future DaysFuture Days
Mute (Artist Intelligence) 2014
Vinyl$20.98
JOE COCKER LUXURY YOU CAN AFFORD RARE LP EXCELENT USA US $4.99 Buy It Now 29m 37s
THE BEATLES Can't Buy Me Love / You Can't Do That rare green vinyl 45 US $24.99 Buy It Now 29m 47s
LEED'S CD HOLDER CAN BE HOLD UP TO 20 CD OR DVD US $24.99 Buy It Now 29m 49s
Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love (1982) US $3.54 [0 bids]
31m 8s
How Can We Be Silent by BarlowGirl (CD, Jul-2007, Fervent Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
31m 20s
Kris Jensen 45 rpm record "Big As I Can Dream / Donna, Donna" Hickory 1224, NM US $7.99 Buy It Now 32m 6s
BLUES GUITAR 78 JESSE THOMAS I Can't Stay Here/Xmas Celebration SWING TIME promo US $39.99 [0 bids]
32m 20s
Reo Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish Vinyl US $6.00 Buy It Now 32m 49s
Can - Slow Motion 12" LP United Artist 1974 EX/EX Stereo - UAG 29675 US $14.53 [0 bids]
32m 54s
PUFF DADDY Can't Nobody Hold Me Down [PA] CD NEW SEALED US $9.89 Buy It Now 33m 46s
JOE COCKER I CAN STAND A LITTLE RAIN PROMO 45 COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $2.99 Buy It Now 34m 30s
LILYS Better Can't Make Your Better UK ORIG LP CHE CHE52LP US $24.99 [0 bids]
34m 42s
Act I Can't Escape From You CD single UK CDIMM2 ZTT Claudia Brucken US $16.13 Buy It Now 35m 1s
Bucks Fizz-If You Can't Stand the Heat (1982) US $0.63 [0 bids]
35m 14s
LIPPS INC. - ROCK IT - CASABLANCA CAN172 US $8.06 [0 bids]
36m 33s
PATSY CLINE LP RECORD, I CAN'T FORGET YOU US $15.99 Buy It Now 36m 40s
Phil Collins Music We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991) US $1.99 Buy It Now 37m 8s
Mr Roy Something About U (Can't be Beat) CD Single US $6.46 Buy It Now 37m 51s
FOUR TOPS - I CAN'T HELP MYSELF / BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING 7" VINYL US $20.17 Buy It Now 38m 18s
Dead Can Dance - In Concert (NEW CD) US $14.92 Buy It Now 38m 27s
JIMMY CLIFF I can See Clearly Now PROMO DJ CD single 1993 COOL RUNNINGS Movie US $34.99 Buy It Now 38m 32s
Magnum/Heartbroke and Busted + 2 (UK/#ed LIMITED EDITION Picture Can) US $12.99 [0 bids]
38m 58s
DON HENLEY I CAN'T STAND STILL US $7.99 [0 bids]
39m 4s
redd kross 2500 fans can't be wrong 10" sealed limited to 2500 US $26.99 Buy It Now 39m 13s
the beatles - can't buy me love original seven inch record 1964 single 45 US $2.42 [0 bids]
39m 15s
HOTHOUSE FLOWERS - I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW 7" VINYL PS US $6.44 Buy It Now 39m 20s
Just Can't Stop It US $4.48 Buy It Now 39m 37s
You Can Be Anyone This Time Around - Timothy Leary (CD 1992) LSD Rants NRMT US $14.99 Buy It Now 39m 45s
Roger Daltrey Can't Wait To See The Movie Vinyl LP - EX US $7.25 Buy It Now 40m 21s
7" PICTURE SLEEVE.rock THE THERMALS.2009.NOW WE CAN SEE.indie INSERT.4 tracks. US $1.60 [0 bids]
40m 28s
BEATLES - WE CAN WORK IT OUT / DAY TRIPPER 45 CAPITOL LIMITED PINK VINYL MINT 94 US $29.95 Buy It Now 40m 32s
SHEILA ANN SMITH - DREAMS CAN SOAR (IMPORT) (VERSION) NEW CD US $15.84 Buy It Now 40m 38s
TANITA TIKARAM Can't Go Back UKRAINIAN 2CD Ukraine US $24.90 Buy It Now 40m 59s
RON HARRIS HOPE YOU KEEP CRYING/NOTHING I CAN DO COUNTRY SHOWCASE AMERICA 159 M- US $4.99 Buy It Now 40m 59s
Yes-"It Can Happen (Edit/Live)" 45" Jon Anderson-Trevor Rabin-Music Records US $6.99 [0 bids]
41m 18s
SISTER SLEDGE/MODERN ROMANCE Lost In Music/Can You Move 12" NEW VINYL Disco US $11.99 Buy It Now 41m 44s
four tops - just seven numbers can straighten out my life seven inch record 1970 US $3.21 [0 bids]
42m 7s
Nicole Graham Can't You Take It Standing Up LP Unicorn Records EX IN Shrink US $9.95 Buy It Now 42m 11s
You Can't Resist by Jessica (CD, Aug-2000, Restless Records (USA)) US $6.95 Buy It Now 42m 40s
CHEAP TRICK Can't Stop Fallin PROMO DJ CD Single 1990 US $24.99 Buy It Now 42m 51s
marvin gaye - how can i forget rare usa import seven inch record 1969 45 single US $3.21 [0 bids]
43m 23s
PHILIP UPCHURCH COMBO You Can't Sit Down Parts 1 & 2 Orig BOYD Mod Soul Promo 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 43m 29s
STEVIE NICKS - I CAN'T WAIT UK MAXI CD SINGLE E.P W/RARE LIVE FLEETWOOD MAC US $8.06 Buy It Now 43m 36s
the beatles - can't buy me love oriole contract press seven inch record 1964 45 US $3.21 [0 bids]
44m 5s
James Famolaro - I Can Feel Your Fire - U.S. 12" RED VINYL US $5.98 Buy It Now 44m 51s
THE BEATLES Day Tripper / We Can Work It Ou 45 EMI 5389 NM (45s-3146) US $9.99 Buy It Now 45m 29s
Terry Black - Can't We Go Somewhere / Unless You Care 45RPM 1964 Tollie US $5.99 Buy It Now 45m 40s
Michael Jackson 45 Don't Stop Til You Get Enough / I Can't Help It Vinyl Record US $3.79 Buy It Now 46m 46s
Can - The Lost Tapes Vinyl Box Set - Still Sealed US $129.18 [1 bids]
46m 57s
Bobby Vinton / You Can Do It To Me Anytime / Ev'ry Day Of My Life 45 rpm Record US $6.00 Buy It Now 47m 2s
Christy Essien Igbokwe - You Can't Change ?- **MINT** US $24.99 Buy It Now 47m 34s
THE TROGGS WILD THING WITH A GIRL LIKE YOU I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF OG6164 OLD GOL US $9.67 [0 bids]
47m 57s
45 RECORD TEENA MARIE: CAN IT BE LOVE, PROMO COPY US $3.73 Buy It Now 48m 42s
LEANN RIMES Can't Fight the Moonlight PROMO CD Single US $24.99 Buy It Now 49m 44s
Redskins: It Can Be Done 7" 1986 UK Release: Picture Sleeve: Excellent. US $1.61 [0 bids]
49m 49s
MICHELE MEYER I Can Feel - 1995 Dutch Maxi-CD - Euro House - RARE! US $3.23 Buy It Now 49m 56s
Christy Essien Igbokwe - You Can't Change ?- Color vinyl **MINT** US $28.99 Buy It Now 50m 1s
NOS DAN HARTMAN ....... I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOU US $6.00 Buy It Now 50m 17s
THE SATURDAYS CHASING LIGHTS REISSUED IN MARCH 2009 INC. JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH US $4.83 [0 bids]
50m 20s
You Can Feel the Love in This Room by Sicko (CD, Apr-1994, Empty Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 50m 41s
Whatever, Girl ?- Know You Can 12 " VINYL Double Disc Test Pressing US $5.00 [0 bids]
50m 44s
CANNED ROCK LP KINETIC ENERGY. CAN 002 1978 PRIVATE PRESS PROG,AUTOGRAPHED US $1.60 [0 bids]
51m 12s
SSOL ( SMOOTH) (STYLEZ) (OF) (LIFE - CAN'T KNOCK THE HUSTLE (REISSUE) NEW CD US $14.72 Buy It Now 51m 35s
Timothy Leary You Can Be Anyone This Time Around 1969 Original plays VG++/MINT- US $59.60 Buy It Now 51m 40s
ROBERT PETE WILLIAMS - I'M AS BLUE AS A MAN CAN BE 1 NEW CD US $21.67 Buy It Now 51m 44s
CHER, CHRISSIE HYDE & NENEH CHERRY With ERIC CLAPTON - Love can build a bridge US $20.19 Buy It Now 51m 58s
KEN NAVARRO - I CAN'T COMPLAIN NEW CD US $23.86 Buy It Now 52m 37s
45 rpm picture sleeve COWSILLS we can fly. vintage . NO RECORD US $6.99 [0 bids]
53m 24s
Northern Soul 45 The Dontells I can't wait Rare Sweet Soul HEAR US $70.00 [0 bids]
55m 19s
Fitroy & The Heart Breakers "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" Reggae 45 Mr Big mp3 US $26.00 [2 bids]
55m 30s
4 NURSES GUIDING YOU NEW CD FIELDS OF GOLD, WIND BENEATH MY WINGS, IF YOU CAN + US $4.44 Buy It Now 55m 49s
SUZI QUATRO - CAN THE CAN 7" VINYL US $7.25 Buy It Now 56m
VG++ CHAKA KHAN KRUSH GROOVE CAN'T STOP THE STREET 1985 45 RPM WARNER BROS. US $4.98 Buy It Now 56m 59s
SLEEPY BROWN-I CAN'T WAIT FEATURING OUTKAST PROMO CD SINGLE C17 # US $2.99 Buy It Now 57m 10s
CD U2 ALL THAT YOU CAN LEAVE BEHIND 162 US $6.99 Buy It Now 57m 42s
THE CHANTER SISTERS - CAN'T STOP DANCING 7" VINYL US $9.67 Buy It Now 58m
DAVE CLARK FIVE Catch Us If You Can 45 w/pic sleeve 1965 US $4.99 [0 bids]
58m 5s
ROCKS - CAN YOU HEAR ME? - 7" VINYL SINGLE - MINT US $6.44 Buy It Now 58m 10s
Arthur Prysock: You can do it parts 1 & 2 7" 45rpm vinyl record 2b US $1.50 Buy It Now 58m 54s
HK CD Andy Lau ??? Can or Cannot ???? NEW US $20.00 Buy It Now 59m 9s
HK CD Andy Hui ??? I can love who ????? US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h
HK CD Gloria Yip ??? Can you miss me US $31.00 Buy It Now 1h
Can : The Lost Tapes. 3 CD Box Set US $32.22 Buy It Now 1h
Pet shop boys I don't know what you want but I can't give you..1 track promo cd US $11.29 [0 bids]
1h
NEIL YOUNG ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK YOUR HEART 45 FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h
GEORGE McCRAE.."You can have it all" 7 inch. (45 rpm 1970s) US $3.55 Buy It Now 1h 2m
GEORGE DUKE - Love Can Be So Cold - PROMO JAZZ FUNK 12" US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
ARKANSAS SONNY MEADOR TOO OLD TO HANDLE IT/CAN'T YOU HEAR MEADOWBROOK 1245 M- US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Melvin Endsley - I'll Get Even With You / Can I Say Something 45 Ex MGM promo US $3.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS peter gabriel "ALL THE HELP I CAN GET" - 2CD US $34.99 [1 bids]
HEAD I AM THE KING / I CAN'T STOP 1987 DEMON LIMITED 2x7-inch PACK NEW US $1.60 [0 bids]
AL HUDSON & THE PARTNERS - "YOU CAN DO IT" / "I DON'T WANT YOU TO LEAVE ME" US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRACY CHAPMAN baby can i hold you / if not now NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE LIBERTINES - CAN'T STAND ME NOW (UK, 2004, ROUGH TRADE 7", EX COND, PIC ) US $8.06 [0 bids]
HOT WATER MUSIC You Can Take the Boy Out of Brandenton ORIGINAL 2 TRX CD Single US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Del Amitri : Can You Do Me Good CD (2002) US $4.81 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Barry Altschul-You Can't Name Your Own Tune-Muse 5124-NICE US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
RARE OOP TIMOTHY LEARY THIS TIME AROUND YOU CAN BE ANYONE 1993 CD LOOK US $14.99 [0 bids]
END ON END sealed LP Why Evolve When We Can Go Sideways? PUNK substandard US $4.99 [0 bids]
GUY, Buddy - You Sure Can't Do - 7" US $11.69 Buy It Now 1h 7m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-veritÚ documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"