INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Lost TapesLost Tapes
Mute 2012
WILD RIVER APPLES - I CAN'T WAIT FOR HEAVEN / LINGERS ON 7" US $1.62 [0 bids]
29m 38s
THE MOCKINGBIRDS*I CAN FEEL WE'RE PARTING*DEMO*BEAT*LISTEN TO IT US $77.03 [6 bids]
30m 37s
Elvis Presley on RCA Gold Std.-Can't help falling in love-Rock n Roll/Rockabilly US $3.00 [0 bids]
30m 43s
I CAN HEAR THE HARBOR BELLS/UNDO THE LATCH STRING MALLIE ANNE & SLIM 45 RPM US $8.95 Buy It Now 32m 30s
TRASH CAN SINATRAS Bloodrush PROMO Radio DJ CD Single 1993 USA Trashcan US $34.99 Buy It Now 32m 34s
Into the Labyrinth by Dead Can Dance (CD, Sep-1993, 4AD (USA)) Lisa Gerrard US $10.00 [0 bids]
32m 55s
THE BEE GEES "HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 33m 37s
PEGGY LEE I Can See It Your Way CAPITOL JAZZ VOCAL 78-236 I Don't Know Enough... US $13.00 Buy It Now 33m 45s
VAN HALEN 45 " Why Can't This Be Love / Get Up " WARNER BROS. Canada 1986' US $9.95 [0 bids]
33m 56s
THE BLACK EYED PEAS - JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH SINGLE U.S.PROMO DJ CD CS165 ## US $12.99 Buy It Now 34m 10s
Gi Gi Boyd (If You Can Fall In Love Again) So Can I / Tell Me Who 7" H 1136 US $9.99 Buy It Now 34m 40s
GARY BARTZ & THE CAN - THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD [GARY BARTZ & THE - NEW CD US $12.47 Buy It Now 35m 24s
SAM & DONNA LUKE, I CAN CALL ON JESUS PRIVATE GOSPEL LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 35m 37s
78 RPM RARE JAZZ/BLUES: BILLIE HOLIDAY "Remember' & 'I Can't Face the Music' US $35.99 [0 bids]
35m 38s
45 April Wine/Gimme love/We can be more than we are/Aquarius/Canada/VG++ HEAR US $5.00 Buy It Now 35m 55s
NOS Unplayed! THE MANHATTANS "Can I?" 45 @ 1966 Soul FUNK : Carnival 517 US $17.99 Buy It Now 35m 59s
Marvin Gaye / Can I Get A Witness/ I'm Crazy ... Orig. 1963 / Play Tested /EX US $14.99 Buy It Now 37m 46s
ROD STEWART - My Heart Can't Tell You No - 1989 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 38m 18s
BB B.B. KING to know you is to love you / i can't leave 7" VG+ ABC-11373 US $15.00 Buy It Now 38m 24s
THE EMOTIONS so i can love you / got to be the man 7" VG VOA-4010 Vinyl Record US $8.80 Buy It Now 39m 37s
ELVIS PRESLEY, CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE, ORIG UK RCA R 'N' R 45 US $10.65 [0 bids]
39m 47s
FLYING ALLIGATOR BAND she'd be a perfect lady / you can't take it back 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 40m 54s
JOHNNY PAYCHECK i can see me lovin you again / i sleep with her memory every 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 40m 54s
NEAL McCOY going going gone / then you can tell me goodbye NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $6.00 Buy It Now 40m 54s
BENNY GOODMAN how can you forget /same B.G. RECORDS NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 40m 54s
STING i'm so happy i can't stop crying / this was never meant to be NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 40m 54s
TRACE ADKINS i left something on at home / i can only love you like a man 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 40m 54s
STAR DE AZLAN - A MAN WHO CAN DANCE SINGLE U.S.PROMO DJ CD CS165 ## US $12.99 Buy It Now 40m 54s
Earth Wind & Fire CD - Greatest Hits 17 Great Songs - Can't Hide Love, September US $7.50 Buy It Now 41m 20s
NEW - Can't Help Singing: New Look at Jerome Kern US $4.58 Buy It Now 41m 22s
CATHIE TAYLOR a habit i can't break / it's a long drop from a dream COLUMBIA 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 41m 39s
ENOCH LIGHT&His Orch. Can't Get Enough Of My Baby / My Blue Heaven COMMAND US $9.99 Buy It Now 41m 39s
DEL REEVES that's what i like about the south / the only girl i can't forget 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 41m 39s
GLENN BARBER you can't get there from here / april fool NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 41m 40s
LARRY CASSIDY...BABY I CAN'T USE YOU LIKE YOU ARE....CAPITOL-78 US $3.99 Buy It Now 41m 49s
CAN**TAGO-MAGO (RM/WITH DOWNLOAD/GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $19.95 Buy It Now 42m 7s
CAN**EGE BAMYASI (RM/WITH DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $19.95 Buy It Now 42m 8s
New: NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT Original Broadway Cast Recording (Gershwin CD) US $9.98 Buy It Now 42m 22s
Cactus Pryor Can't Yodel Blues 78 Western Novelty If I'd Know'd Youse a Comin' US $17.95 Buy It Now 42m 47s
The Mock Turtles - Can You Dig It? ... The Best Of The Mock Turtles (CD 2003) US $6.54 Buy It Now 45m 14s
1977 DADDY COOL The Girl Can't Help It 45 SINGLE UNITED ARTISTS RECORDS PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 46m 25s
45 RECORD COUNTRY & WESTERN HITS (CHURCH IN THE VALLEY / CAN I TAKE MY FRIENDS. US $2.00 [0 bids]
46m 35s
SOLOMON BURKE Can't Stop Lovin' You Now ATLANTIC US $0.99 [0 bids]
46m 40s
Lyte Funkie Ones LFO Can't Have you RADIO MIX Europe Made PROMO DJ CD USA Seler US $24.99 Buy It Now 48m 43s
The Turks, It Can't Be True & Wagon Wheels on Cash #1942, Soul, Doo Wop 45rpm US $49.99 [0 bids]
48m 52s
ANYONE CAN WHISTLE BY ORIGINAL BROADWAY CA (CD) US $16.15 Buy It Now 49m 12s
JACK DeJOHNETTE-CHICO FREEMAN "Tin Can Alley" RARE EXC 1981 1ST PRESS ECM STR LP US $16.00 Buy It Now 49m 57s
VIC DANA - TIME CAN CHANGE - DOLTON 58 - TEEN 45 US $17.99 Buy It Now 50m 10s
HK Vcd KAREN MOK You Can MTV Karaoke 1999 ??? ??? US $18.00 Buy It Now 50m 24s
blues 45 SUGARCANE They Say You Never Can Miss ELDO Elim Stole My.. sugar cane US $6.95 Buy It Now 51m 35s
DIRK HAMILTON -You Can Sing On The Left SEALED VINYL LP US $15.53 Buy It Now 52m 3s
LEO SAYER - THE SHOW MUST GO ON / LONG TALL GLASSES (I CAN DANCE) 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
52m 6s
Chuck Berry You Never Can Tell/Brenda Lee 45 RPM Chess Records US $5.00 [0 bids]
52m 14s
GINO SOCCIO-TRY IT OUT / CLOSER-7" (SAMPLER)-CAN-1981-WorldShip$6.00-EuroU$5.00 US $8.99 Buy It Now 52m 14s
Dead Can Dance : Aion CD (1999) US $16.03 Buy It Now 52m 30s
1965 POP ROCK The Bachelors No Arms Can Ever Hold You BRITPOP LP LONDON LL 3418 US $2.99 [0 bids]
53m 17s
I Can't Stop by Al (Vocals) Green (CD, Nov-2003, Blue Note (Label)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 53m 59s
The Hollies 45 Do The Best You Can / Elevated Observations ~ Epic VG+ US $7.50 [0 bids]
54m 45s
DIRK HAMILTON You Can Sing On the Left... ABC LP promo wlp US $9.95 Buy It Now 55m
SPARKS Music You Can Dance To 1986 USA LP MCA RECORDS 5780 US $4.99 Buy It Now 55m 7s
GENE (band) I Can't/Be My SUB POP 294 1995 Blue Vinyl 7" 45 UNPLAYED USA PRESS US $4.99 Buy It Now 55m 8s
You Can Cry On My Shoulder/Ben by Michael Jackson 45 rpm Motown Records G US $0.99 Buy It Now 56m 4s
( 2 CD's ) PINK + BRITNEY SPEARS - CAN'T TAKE ME HOME + BABY ONE MORE TIME HITS US $2.95 Buy It Now 56m 27s
RARE SOUL ***JAMES & BOBBY PURIFY -- - I CAN REMEMBER US $25.00 Buy It Now 56m 59s
PEGGY SCOTT & JO JO BENSON: Nothing Can Stand In Our Way LP (drill hole) rare S US $60.00 Buy It Now 57m
VAN HALEN "5150" LP w "Why Can't This Be Love" VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 26s
Dave Meyers,NEW CD,You Can't Do That US $4.99 Buy It Now 57m 36s
The Hollies 45 Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top / Mad Prof. Blyth ~ Epic VG+ US $3.99 [0 bids]
57m 56s
CAN - ANTHOLOGY NEW CD US $22.23 Buy It Now 59m 2s
SOFTONES: That's What Love Can Do (soul vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 59m 26s
Herb Alpert 45 Fox Hunt / I Can't Go On Living Baby... US $3.00 Buy It Now 59m 34s
THE WHISPERS 45 Great Day / I Can't See Myself Leaving You SOUL CLOCK #B76 US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h
Vintage 78RPM Frankie Carle. I can't believe that you're in love with me/After Y US $2.94 [0 bids]
1h
ALVIN LEE-"CAN'T STOP" DOUBLE SIDED 1981 U.S. ISSUE PROMO 12" SINGLE-NM VINYL US $6.99 [0 bids]
Conway Twitty- I Can't Stop Loving You / Decca - DL 7-5361 US $7.00 [0 bids]
Can't Slow Down by Lionel Richie US $1.85 Buy It Now 1h
EUROGLIDERS - Can't Wait To See You - PROMO 45 with picture sleeve unplayed US $2.88 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Joe Walsh/You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
USHER "Can U Get Wit It" LeFace 1994 MINT e US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
CAN'T KEEP FROM CRYING TRIBUTE TO JFK TESTAMENT RECORDS SEALED BLUES CD -L@@K! US $3.95 [0 bids]
MELTDOWN-"ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN DAY" NEW SEALED 1988 ISSUE PUNK LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
TINA TURNER-"I CAN'T STAND THE RAIN" EXTENDED VERSION 1984 U.K. ISSUE 12" SINGLE US $6.99 [0 bids]
Steely Dan Can't Buy A Thrill LP US $6.99 [0 bids]
ENGLISH BEAT: I Just Can't Stop It LP (inner sleeve) Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can't Keep a Good Man Down, Castro, Tommy, Good US $4.59 Buy It Now 1h 7m
TATTOOED LOVE BOYS-"WHY WALTZ WHEN YOU CAN ROCK N ROLL" NEW 1987 U.K. 12" EP US $7.99 [0 bids]
THE ARMOURY SHOW-"WE CAN BE BRAVE AGAIN" EXTENDED VERSION-NEW 1984 U.K. 12" EP US $6.99 [0 bids]
Grapevine HERMAN HITSON You can't keep a good man down / Aint no other way Funk US $14.73 Buy It Now 1h 8m
THE PRETTY THINGS - Midnight To Six Man / Can't Stand The Pain - EX- UK 45, 1966 US $8.18 [1 bids]
Northern soul Caneil Joey Dee & the Starlighters How can I forget you Stomping US $11.46 Buy It Now 1h 8m
THREE DOG NITE JOY TO THE WORLD B/W I CAN HEAR YOU CALLING ME DUNHILL US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
American Musicals Cole Porter LP Vinyl Box Set S/S Factory Sealed Can-Can US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE BEE GEES - HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART / COUNTRY WOMAN 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
Anthony Armstrong Jones Only One I Can't Forget/Proud Mary 45 RPM Chart VG US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Stryper Can't Stop the Rock: The Stryper Collection 1984-1991 (CD, Hollywood) US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Spencer Davis Group. I Can´t Get Enough of It + I´m a Man. 45 rpm. Fontana US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
You Can All Join In Pink Island Label UK Press Various Artists US $16.50 [6 bids]
Northern soul U.A. EDDIE & ERNIE I can't do it Stomping oldie orig 70's PRESSING US $11.46 Buy It Now 1h 10m
TED TAYLOR~CAN'T TAKE NO MORE~NEAR MINT~OKEH 4-7165~I'LL RELEASE YOU ~ SOUL 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-verité documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"