INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
Soon Over BabalunaSoon Over Babaluna
Mute U.S. 2009
MONK & POWELL NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT (48) (JAZZ GREATS) CD ALBUM B5 US $8.47 Buy It Now 30m
PANIC AT THE DISCO A FEVER YOU CAN'T SWEAT OUT CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $152.74 Buy It Now 30m 14s
Falling Faster Than You Can Run by Nathaniel Rateliff (CD, Nov-2013, Mod Y Vi... US $7.97 Buy It Now 30m 21s
Monk Higgins (inst.) 45 CAN'T STOP / WALKING IN MY SLEEP ~ VG+ US $3.50 [0 bids]
30m 59s
Krazy Kirk ?- Can't Trust No Man / Ganja Man ORIG UK 12" NEAR MINT MUSLYM US $16.96 Buy It Now 31m 52s
Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song /Hey, Hey, What Can I Do German 45 W/ Picture Sleeve US $59.99 Buy It Now 31m 53s
Gal Dem Wining / Oven / Can't Understand Man #642493 US $6.77 Buy It Now 33m 34s
Gloria Gaynor - Never Can Say Goodbye - MGM #109284 US $5.07 Buy It Now 33m 48s
Skunk Anansie - I Can Dream - One Little Indian #642496 US $6.77 Buy It Now 34m 5s
LP - King - Hank Ballard - You Can't Keep A Good Man Down US $75.00 [0 bids]
34m 16s
Earth, Wind & Fire - Can't Hide Love / Gratitude 7" 45 - Columbia - Funk / Soul US $8.11 [0 bids]
34m 21s
Earth, Wind & Fire - Can't Hide Love / Gratitude 7" 45 - Columbia - Funk / Soul US $7.21 [0 bids]
34m 24s
34m 26s
Pure Prairie League Can't Hold Back LP 1979 RCA Records Sealed US $12.00 Buy It Now 35m
Elvis Presley - 50000000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong; Elvis' Gold Records Volume 2 US $8.92 [0 bids]
35m 10s
1974 Willie Nelson "I Still Can't Believe You're Gone-Heaven and Hell" 45 US $1.99 Buy It Now 35m 13s
Elvis Presley - 50000000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong; Elvis' Gold Records Volume 2 US $8.11 [0 bids]
35m 13s
You Can't Resist by Jessica (CD, Aug-2000, Restless Records (USA)) US $3.00 Buy It Now 36m 48s
TERRY CALLIER: I Just Can't Help Myself LP (reissue) Soul US $14.00 Buy It Now 37m 10s
En Vouge - Giving Him Something He Can Feel (Edit) / My Lovin' (You're Never Go US $8.54 [0 bids]
37m 19s
Ivory Joe Hunter vintage 45 record Since I met you baby You can't stop this rock US $12.00 Buy It Now 37m 30s
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (CD, Oct-1989, Arista) US $1.99 Buy It Now 37m 40s
How Blue Can You Get [Retro] by B.B. King (CD, Apr-2... US $4.00 Buy It Now 38m 27s
HURRICANES You Can Run 7" NEW VINYL Black Art Lee Perry Upsetters US $6.99 Buy It Now 38m 39s
Steely Dan Can't Buy A Thrill LP 1972 ABCX 758 Black Gatefold Vinyl Record US $14.24 Buy It Now 39m 19s
"R" (RENARD WITH NO REGARD) HOW HARD CAN YOU THROW IT CED WHAT? 12" VINYL PD-030 US $19.99 Buy It Now 39m 25s
SEASICK STEVE - You Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks - LP (NEW / SEALED) US $18.50 Buy It Now 39m 37s
HOW FAST THEM TRUCKS CAN GO GUSTO GT-0055 STEREO W. GERMANY IMPORT (NM) US $4.99 [0 bids]
40m
BILLY VERA & THE BEATERS I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF RHINO PROMO W/SLEEVE NRMT +^ US $2.99 [0 bids]
40m
CAPTAIN & TENNILLE CAN'T STOP DANCIN' A&M PROMO 1912 STEREO/MONO 1977 NRMT + ^ US $2.99 [0 bids]
40m
LORRAINE CHANDLER/HESITATIONS Can't Hold On 7" NEW VINYL Kent Northern Soul US $15.99 Buy It Now 41m 38s
VARIOUS - How Blue Can We Get [UK 1970 Blue Horizon 2LP Set -Gfold - EX-Nr MINT] US $38.95 Buy It Now 41m 59s
VARIOUS Can You Dig It?: Music And Politics Of Black Action Films 1969-75 [2CDs] US $15.19 Buy It Now 41m 59s
THE TROGGS I Can't Control/Gonna Make You 45 RPM Fontana Records VG+ US $7.00 Buy It Now 43m 10s
THE IN-SECT I Can See My Love 7" NEW Ugly Pop reissue garage Canadian import US $6.99 Buy It Now 43m 23s
CAN'T TAKE THE COUNTRY FROM THE BOY by BOB LUMAN ; 30 Hits from 1960's : RARE CD US $47.51 Buy It Now 43m 54s
TWISTED SISTER - YOU CAN'T STOP ROCK 'N' ROLL [TWISTED SISTER] - NEW CD US $7.90 Buy It Now 44m 7s
JOE BARRY 45 Can't Live With You SHO-BIZ Rock 'n' Roll VG++ Original #CC518 US $15.00 [0 bids]
44m 33s
TRANCELIKE VOID - Where the Trees Can Make It Rain (CD, 2010) Black Metal, NEW US $5.35 Buy It Now 44m 39s
45 RECORD PS RONNIE SPECTOR: WHO CAN SLEEP, WHEN WE DANCED US $6.20 Buy It Now 46m 11s
THE SPINNERS - Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music (Promo) US $23.00 Buy It Now 47m 19s
45 RECORD THE J. GEILS BAND: LAND OF A THOUSAND DANCES, JUS' CAN'T STOP ME US $3.73 Buy It Now 48m 56s
7" LESTER WILLIAMS "I CAN'T LOSE WITH THE STUFF I USE/MY HOME AIN'T THERE" BLUES US $12.50 Buy It Now 49m 2s
Glenn Frey 45 I Found Somebody/She Can't Let Go Asylum Records 1982 #E-47466 US $9.99 Buy It Now 50m 47s
Eagles 45 I Can't Tell You Why/The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks 1979 Asylum US $9.99 Buy It Now 50m 48s
MYSTERY JETS You Can't Fool Me Dennis Limited Edition 7 Inch Vinyl Single US $6.77 Buy It Now 51m 5s
The Cowsills MGM 45 Record #13886 EX We Can Fly / A Time For Rememberance US $8.00 Buy It Now 52m 7s
THE CHIMPZ - WHO CAN I TRUST-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
52m 16s
ROCK BAND NO. 47- YOU CAN NEVER GO HOME-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
52m 17s
ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY *DJ COPY* "YOU CAN'T DANCE" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 52m 45s
COGNAC - HOW HIGH / NOTHING CAN CHANGE THIS LOVE - 12" DISCO SINGLE - PROMO US $9.99 [1 bids]
53m 4s
Pure Prairie League: Can't Hold Back [1979] New CD (1999, One Way Records (USA)) US $16.15 Buy It Now 53m 11s
STING (The Police) I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying 2 Trk PROMO CD 1996 US $6.50 Buy It Now 53m 56s
BARBARA WINDSOR 7" VINYL C/S SPARROWS CAN'T SING / ON MOTHER KELLY'S DOORSTEP US $13.49 Buy It Now 53m 58s
Barry White-Can't Get Enough-LP-1974-VG+/VG- US $4.99 [0 bids]
54m 17s
WILCO CAN'T STAND IT PROMO [CD] [2 TRACKS] 1999 US $6.99 Buy It Now 54m 43s
Madonna "You Can Dance" SINGLE EDITS Vinyl (Used-Very Good) Rare Brazilian Copy US $70.00 Buy It Now 54m 47s
Guns n Roses Since I Don't Have You/You Can't Put 45 RPM 1993 Geffen Records VG US $7.00 Buy It Now 55m 20s
Lou Reed Sally Can't Dance Original SEALED LP 1974 RCA CPL1-0611 US Press US $19.99 Buy It Now 55m 34s
Nat King Cole - Faith Can Move Mountains / The Ruby And The Pearl 7" 45 - Capito US $8.79 [0 bids]
55m 41s
Live & in the Can - Very Good US $3.72 Buy It Now 56m 2s
Morcheeba : Who Can You Trust CD (1996) US $3.91 Buy It Now 57m 53s
Portrait - I Can Call You / How Deep Is Your Love 7" 45 - Capitol - US $7.21 [0 bids]
58m 9s
GLORIA GAYNOR ~Never Can Say Goodbye ~NM US $0.99 [0 bids]
58m 16s
Dawson Smith: I Don't Know If I Can Make It / pt. 2 [Unplayed Copy] US $42.97 Buy It Now 59m 17s
Rita Remington - How Can I See (Through These Tears In My Eyes) / We Tried 7" 45 US $7.21 [0 bids]
1h
Roger Daltrey - Can't Wait To See The Movie LP - Atlantic - Oldies US $8.10 [0 bids]
1h
L.J. WAITERS northern 45 CAN YOU DEAL WITH IT / INST~PHIL L.A. VG++/M- US $4.62 Buy It Now 1h 3m
BABY WASHINGTON soul 45 CARE FREE / CAN'T GET OVER LOSING YOU~MASTER FIVE VG++ US $3.85 Buy It Now 1h 3m
MR ROY - Something About U (Can't Be Beat) - 1995 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $9.15 Buy It Now 1h 3m
45RPM Don Henley Johnny Can't Read Asylum 7-69971 0901E US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Can "I Want More" LP Ltd Orange Wax Numbered UK Import Spoon Records US $15.99 [0 bids]
TAYLOR DAYNE Can't Get Enough GERMANY 4 vers CD single US $12.75 Buy It Now 1h 4m
TWISTED SISTER You Can't Stop Rock N Roll BADGE BUTTON US $2.87 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Out of Bounds: Journey Through Modern Rock CD MINT Orgy Dead Can Dance Ministry US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
X-Raided "These Walls Can Talk" OOP cd SEALED US $77.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE ADVENTURERS CAN'T STOP TWISTIN' VERY RARE 1961 COLUMBIA VINYL LP VG++ US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Various Artists : Yes We Can CD (2009) US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The Chambers Brothers - Time Has Come Today / I Can't Turn You Loose 7" 45 - Co US $8.11 [0 bids]
THE SCREEN OF BLACKNESS, CAN WE ESCAPE - 10" LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
GLORIA GAYNOR NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE LP-CHEAP US $8.47 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Ella Fitzgerald - Forever Gold (CD 2007) A-Tisket, A-Tasket, Can't We Be Friends US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dayne (CD, Oct-1989, Arista US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
45 RECORD MAMADO & SHE: CAN WE TAKE YOU HIGHER, SING A SIMPLE SONG, DJ PROMO US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
45 RECORD THE BEATLES YOU CAN'T DO THAT CAN'T BUY ME LOVE APPLE LABEL 5150 US $2.98 Buy It Now 1h 8m
I Can Hear It Now 2 by Edward R. Murrow & Fed W. Friendly Actual Voices Record + US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
STARWALKER - Losers Can Win - 12" US $21.64 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love / Put Yourself In My Place 7" 45 - Motown - US $8.93 [0 bids]
The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love / Put Yourself In My Place 7" 45 - Motown - US $8.97 [0 bids]
ROBERTA SHERWOOD DECCA 30779 PROMO IF I CAN HELP SOMEBO US $7.99 [0 bids]
NEW EDITION "CAN YOU STAND THE RAIN" 45 PS US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 10m
SLIM WHITMAN-How Can I Tell/All Asking Sympathy-IMPERIAL 8180-RED VINYL 45rpm US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
An Angle : We Can Breathe Under Alcohol CD (2005) US $9.24 Buy It Now 1h 11m
ROLLING STONES:(I CAN'T GET NO)SATISFACTION/SPIDER AND FLY:DECCA 1965 VG++/VG US $23.75 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Lynn Anderson / How Can I Unlove You (1971) / Vinyl 45 US $2.40 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Curses Cause & Cure Why Curses Entrap You-How You Can Escape Audio (3 CD) 77866X US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
FRANK SINATRA Can I Steal A Little Love Your Love 4 Me 45 Vinyl Record VG+ 1956 US $3.95 [0 bids]
Eddy Arnold Than You Can Tell Me Goodbye VG+ LP Vinyl Country Record Album 1971 US $3.95 [0 bids]
The Three Suns "Sugar Blues"/"The French Can-Can Polka" Vinyl 45 Record VG+ 1949 US $3.95 [0 bids]
Brenda Lee-You Can Depend on Me (VG+) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-verité documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"