INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Imports 2014
Vinyl$24.22
TED & MARGE can you hear the masters voice LP Mint- SP 901 Vinyl Record US $15.00 Buy It Now 30m
Flo Rida Feat. Pitbull - Can't Believe It (CD SINGLE) & brand new US $11.53 Buy It Now 31m 33s
Numan, Gary / Tubeway Army I can't stop 12" NUM17 VG/EX UK with Flexi US $22.39 Buy It Now 31m 55s
Numan, Gary / Tubeway Army I can't stop 12" NUMP17 /EX UK Pic Picture Disc US $16.79 Buy It Now 31m 59s
Orange Juice I can't help myself 12" POSPX522 EX/EX UK US $18.65 Buy It Now 32m 49s
LOU PREAGER - 50's Sheet Music - THE FRENCH CAN-CAN POLKA - By J.Offenbach US $20.37 Buy It Now 36m 34s
+ Ember Swift - Can't Corner Me CD signed near mint! US $11.86 Buy It Now 38m 35s
STEPHEN STILLS Can't Get No Booty b/w Lowdown UK 7" 1978 near mint promo US $6.77 Buy It Now 38m 59s
Roadhouse Hell can wait 12" VERP57 VG/EX UK Pic Picture Disc US $26.12 Buy It Now 40m 33s
JOE JACKSON YOU CAN'T GET WHAT YOU WANT 1984 US $0.99 [0 bids]
40m 52s
Timmy Thomas - Why Can't We Live Together 33-6501 USA LP 1972 Glades US $18.65 Buy It Now 41m 30s
MARK BISHOP - CAN I PRAY FOR YOU NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 41m 49s
HOWARD JONES THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER 1985 US $0.99 [0 bids]
41m 58s
NAS i can 12" Mint- CAS 59452 Vinyl 2002 Record US $19.20 Buy It Now 42m 14s
Serious-Lee-Fine Nothing can stop us LP AL8584 VG/EX US US $16.79 Buy It Now 43m 56s
OST SUPERMAN 7" PS Japan CAN YOU READ Y MIND Margot Kidder S0621 US $15.99 Buy It Now 46m 17s
Soup Dragons Can't take no more - Live EP 12" RTVL123 VG/EX UK US $14.92 Buy It Now 48m 10s
Boystown Gang - Can't Take My Eyes Of You 1982 7" Ex ERC 101 US $5.92 Buy It Now 48m 16s
TRIBUTE TO DEAD CAN DANCE - Compilation Deluxe Double D US $19.90 Buy It Now 48m 39s
Rabin,Trevor - Can't Look Away [CD New] US $14.00 Buy It Now 49m 38s
Funky Green Dogs....Can't Help It / Airplane Records VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 50m 13s
Stewart, Rod My heart can't tell you no 12" W7729T EX/EX UK US $14.92 Buy It Now 50m 42s
IU-CAN YOU HEAR ME?-JAPAN CD DVD H25 US $36.50 Buy It Now 50m 42s
MARK LANE Shorty Can Get It / Run 4 Us 12" Intelligent Music IM-001 SEALED US $7.99 Buy It Now 51m 19s
BRENDA GEORGE - I CAN'T STAND IT / WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU'RE NEW VINYL US $15.20 Buy It Now 51m 57s
Supercharge I can see right thru you 12" Clear Vinyl VS243-12 VG/EX UK US $20.52 Buy It Now 51m 58s
KISS BEER CAN SET X 6+SHRINK WRAP PACK AUSTRALIA RELEASE *EMPTY CANS RARE* US $9.37 [0 bids]
53m 45s
KISS BEER CAN CARTON TRAY AUSTRALIA RELEASE *LAST ONE & LONG SOLD OUT* US $14.07 [0 bids]
53m 45s
PAPERLACE-THE NIGHT CHICAGO DIED/CAN YOU GET.. (BELGIUM PRESS) US $5.08 Buy It Now 56m 44s
Twisted Sister You can't stop rock n roll 12" A9792T VG/EX UK US $14.92 Buy It Now 56m 49s
Juice Newton ?- Can't Wait All Night LP, Vinyl MINT US $7.52 Buy It Now 57m 29s
Van Halen Why can't this be love (Extended Mix) 12" W8740T VG/EX UK US $18.65 Buy It Now 58m 36s
Starwalker - Losers Can Win - 5 Track US $6.77 Buy It Now 58m 37s
LADYBUG TRANSISTOR - CAN'T WAIT ANOTHER DAY NEW CD US $20.97 Buy It Now 1h
ROSTOTSKY ENSEMBLE"OPEN YOUR EYES YUO CAN FLY" MELODIYA STEREO LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h
JOE COCKER - I CAN STAND A LITTLE RAIN 2006 US CD * NEW * US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h
Westbam I can't stop 12" 12CLSPIRIT9 VG/EX UK US $14.92 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Can You Dig It, Soothsayer, Good Single US $3.94 Buy It Now 1h 7m
BILL HALEY & The COMETS Everyone Can Rock and Roll UK Rockabilly Reissue LP CC US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
the STYLISTICS - Can't Give You Anything but My Love (1975) - GERMAN PS 45 US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 9m
the STYLISTICS - Can't Give You Anything but My Love (1975) - NICE DUTCH PS 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
ERUPTION ft PRECIOUS WILSON I Can't Stand the Rain '78 HOLLAND PS 7" US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 9m
ARCHIE BELL & the DRELLS - I Can't Stop Dancing - GERMAN ATLANTIC PS 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
TIMMY THOMAS - Why Can't We Live Togheter/ Funky Me (1972) - DUTCH POLYDOR PS 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Marillion No one can 7" MARILS14 G/EX UK Limited Edition US $19.59 Buy It Now 1h 11m
ANDRE WILLIAMS - CAN YOU DEAL WITH IT NEW CD US $20.97 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Thundamentals - 2014 Australian Tour - So We Can Remember - Tour Poster US $13.13 Buy It Now 1h 12m
STEEL PANTHER You Can Eat CD + DVD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $23.68 Buy It Now 1h 12m
DJ SHADOW - You Can't Go Home Again UK CD Single US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 17m
MR DALLAS/B AARONS - Can't Give Up - 7" US $16.89 Buy It Now 1h 20m
MAMAS & PAPAS - IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES & EARS NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 1h 21m
FRANCIS PATRICK OBRIEN - CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW NEW CD US $22.52 Buy It Now 1h 21m
PIG IN A CAN - CAN'T POISON A PIG NEW CD US $22.91 Buy It Now 1h 21m
THE FIVE DOLLARS - YOU KNOW I CAN'T REFUSE - DETRIOT R&B AT IT'S FINEST US $19.99 [0 bids]
Ambrosia How can you love me 7" K17933P /EX UK Pic Picture Disc US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
OZOMATLI - can't stop 1 track CD US $4.71 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Ash You can't have it all 7" Red Vinyl ASH05X EX/EX UK Poster Bag US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Bad Company Can't get enough 7" WIP6191 /EX UK US $12.12 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Bad Manners Can can 7" MAG190 VG/EX UK US $12.12 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Bananarama I can't help it 7" NANGF15 VG/EX UK Gatefold with Poster US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
CATS CAN FLY - Flippin' To The "A" Side/One Way Or The other 45 Vinyl 7" RECORD US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Beat / English Beat Can't get used to losing you 7" FEET17 VG/EX UK US $9.32 Buy It Now 1h 29m
THE ESQUIRES THE FEELING´S GONE / WHY CAN´T I STOP NORTHERN SOUL BUNKY RECORDS US $27.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Beatles Can't buy me love 7" R5114 VG/EX UK US $25.19 Buy It Now 1h 30m
MAINE - CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP NEW CD US $18.66 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Bishops The only place I can look is down 7" 1234-7IN018 EX/EX UK US $12.12 Buy It Now 1h 32m
COMMON SENSE - CAN I BORROW A DOLLAR NEW CD US $19.43 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Ritchie Adams I Can't Escape From You Northern Soul Vinyl 45 Listen US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 36m
PETTICOAT & VINE 'Now You Can Fly' unplayed Promo 45 HEAR! US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
THE CRANBERRIES/ EVERYBODY EISE IS DOING IT, SO WHY CAN'T WE? US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
FRESH MEAT HOBO / IF YOU CAN`T LIVE RAFT LABEL AND SLEEVE 7" VINYL US $1.68 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Bubblerock I can't get no satisfaction 7" UK53 G/VG UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Bucks Fizz If you can't stand the heat 7" RCA300 VG/EX UK US $12.12 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Bulemics Can't keep it down 7" Red Vinyl JR028 EX/EX US US $15.85 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Captain and Tennille Do that to me one more time 7" CAN175 EX/EX UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 1h 41m
HOWARD JONES things can only get better LP Mint- 0 66915 Vinyl 1982 Record US $6.40 Buy It Now 1h 41m
City & Colour - Little Hell Import-CAN Vinyl Record LP US $60.36 Buy It Now 1h 41m
FRANK ZAPPA - YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE, VOL. 6 - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.70 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Dead Can Dance Toward The Within Us Cd US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Paramore Shoulder bag - can be personalised US $14.43 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Collins, Phil You can't hurry love 7" VS531 VG/EX UK US $9.32 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Communards Never can say goodbye 7" LON158 VG/EX UK US $9.32 Buy It Now 1h 49m
YO LA TENGO - I CAN HEAR THE HEART BEATING AS ONE NEW CD US $17.52 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Can I Say [LP] by Dag Nasty (Vinyl, Nov-2008, Dischord Records) US $19.35 Buy It Now 1h 51m
CARL SIMS - CAN'T STOP ME NEW CD US $22.52 Buy It Now 1h 51m
The Truth (Tony Kopa) Can't Help It Australian 3 Track CD Single US $9.59 Buy It Now 1h 51m
NICK CAVE tuxedomoon NITS the sundays DEAD CAN DANCE ISRAEL ISRAELI LP US $80.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Darts Can't get enough of your love 7" MAG156 VG/EX UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 1h 53m
SOUTHERN SOUL & BLUES 45: LONNIE SHIELDS I Can Play Dirty/Hard Times ROOSTER R58 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Doo-Wop 45 - Dino & The Diplomats - I can't believe - Mint- US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
GOOD OL' PERSONS - I Can't Stand To Ramble - Ex Con LP Record Kaleidoscope F-17 US $16.96 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Bobby Sheen - How Many Nights / How Can We Ever Be Together (R&B, 45) US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Dobson, Anita Anyone can fall in love 7" RESL191 G/EX UK US $9.32 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Donovan, Jason Nothing can divide us 7" PWL17 VG/EX UK Poster Sleeve US $12.12 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Drifters Can I take you home little girl 7" BELL1462 /EX UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 2h
STARWALKER - LOSERS CAN WIN [EP] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $11.21 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Elliman, Yvonne If I can't have you 7" 2090 266 VG/EX UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Eruption I can't stand the rain 7" K11068 /EX UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Estefan, Gloria Can't stay away from you 7" 6514447 VG/EX UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Estefan, Gloria Can't stay away from you 7" 6531957 VG/EX UK Pic Picture Disc US $23.32 Buy It Now 2h 5m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-verité documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"