INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Vinyl$17.48
STEEL PANTHER - ALL YOU CAN EAT - OPNE001DEL US $22.50 Buy It Now 29m 47s
U2 - ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND * * 2000 CD Album US $1.61 [0 bids]
30m 20s
SNOOP DOGG - Can't Say Goodbye 3-TRACK U.S. TESTPRESS PROMO DJ CD CS202 US $2.99 Buy It Now 30m 50s
MAMADO & SHE Can We Takle You Higher Medley b/w J'ville Rock STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 30m 51s
SIERRA Keep On Pl;ayin That Country Music b/w I Just Can't Get STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 30m 51s
I Believe I Can Fly / Religious Love / I Can, CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 32m 4s
This Fool Can Die Now, Scout Niblett, RARE ADVANCE COPY Promo US $3.99 Buy It Now 33m 21s
MARIAH CAREY can't let go SRDS-8217 JAPAN 3"CD US $14.99 [0 bids]
37m 24s
Cat Stevens-Can't Keep It In/Crab Dance 7" Single EX Cond US $7.86 Buy It Now 38m 31s
Hi-NRG/ Morality+ - Can't Stop My Love (LISTEN) US $6.99 Buy It Now 38m 33s
Michael Bolton-45RPM-How Can We Be Lovers &That's What Love Is All About-1987 US $2.50 [0 bids]
38m 44s
CD ALBUMS - CHOICE OF 50 CURRENT ARTIST TITLES - ONE DIRECTION RITA ORA THE XX US $2.40 Buy It Now 40m 30s
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.00 Buy It Now 40m 42s
12" A1/B1 * Van Halen * Why Can't This Be Love . Get Up Extended Mix W8740T US $8.05 Buy It Now 41m 28s
Charlatans UK - Can't Get Out of Bed 1 track - US DJ CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 41m 50s
BAD COMPANY Can't Get Enough / LITTLE MISS FORTUNE 45 RPM US $0.07 [0 bids]
42m 7s
Charlatans Uk Can't Get Out Of Bed [Maxi Single] - US $12.99 Buy It Now 42m 50s
45RPM Duncan McDonald You Can Take My Love 49el US $14.99 Buy It Now 43m 15s
Edward R. Murrow "I Can Hear It Now" LP 1919-1932 Columbia ML 4340 Vol.3 US $0.89 [0 bids]
43m 25s
I Can Do That [Single] by Montell Jordan (CD, Jul-1998, Def Soul) US $0.99 Buy It Now 43m 40s
Roscoe Shelton - I Can't Stand To Be Without You / I Want To Keep You (promo) US $12.00 Buy It Now 43m 58s
FIBER McGEE & MOLLY - Fibber's Closet/I Can Get It For You Wholesale US $16.00 Buy It Now 45m 2s
Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You. 1984 Vinyl LP Ex! US $4.82 Buy It Now 46m 2s
STEVE GOODMAN - Words We Can Dance To US $9.00 Buy It Now 46m 25s
Randy CrawFord - Can't Stand The Pain - Single LP US $2.94 Buy It Now 46m 34s
CLYDE MCPHATTER, A LOVER'S QUESTION & I CAN'T STAND UP ALONE ORIG. SOUL-451958 US $2.50 [1 bids]
47m 22s
12" vinyl record - HAYWOODE - I CAN'T LET YOU GO US $1.60 [0 bids]
47m 35s
Can't Keep From Crying - Topical Blues on the Death of President Kennedy CD US $0.99 Buy It Now 48m 33s
12" vinyl record - HAYWOODE - I CAN'T LET YOU GO (DETROIT EXTENDED MIX) US $1.60 [0 bids]
48m 53s
TRACY BONHAM 'SHARKS CAN'T SLEEP' 1-TRACK CD SINGLE US $1.60 Buy It Now 49m 16s
SLEEP PARADE_Things Can Always Change_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $8.78 Buy It Now 50m 18s
Aeroplane - We Can`t Fly NEW CD US $12.15 Buy It Now 55m 21s
45RPM Johnny Paycheck It's for Sure I Can't Go On 49el US $14.99 Buy It Now 56m
MINIMUM DAILY REQUIREMENT:If You Can Put That In A Bottle-I'm Grounded-Tower DJ US $148.98 Buy It Now 57m 23s
Can't Buy a Break Chris Cain Band Guitar CD Blind Pig Records Blues Jazz Music US $5.99 Buy It Now 57m 49s
THE BEAT Can`t stand losing you 12". P/S. SKA . 2 TONE EX CONDITION US $1.60 [1 bids]
59m 32s
1913 Can't move on / Roll into you CD Promo Single US $5.39 Buy It Now 59m 32s
IRON MAIDEN - Can I Play With Madness - Picture Disc in Stickered PVC Sleeve US $45.15 Buy It Now 1h
Madonna You Can Dance Single Edits Of Album Remixes US LP US $149.99 Buy It Now 1h
Pet Shop Boys How Can You Expect To Be Taken Rare 5 mixes Dj Us 12" US $74.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
RARE: saves the day can't slow down red vinyl lp record 12" limited to 500 US $249.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Leon Ashley 45 Prayers Can't Reach Me / Flower Of Love US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
BEATLES - We Can Work It Out - Excellent Condition 7" Single Parlophone R 5389 US $11.28 Buy It Now 1h 7m
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000 CD) US $1.61 [0 bids]
DOCTOR MIX and THE REMIX UK 45 I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF, cabaret voltaire related US $13.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Geordie ?- Can You Do It RARE ORIG UK 1973 7" AC/DC EX US $8.05 Buy It Now 1h 10m
LIONEL RICHIE CAN'T SLOW DOWN 33 LP VINYL ALBUM 1983 US $2.99 [0 bids]
K.D. Lang - All You Can Eat..........Genuine CD Album...........Fast Post US $5.63 Buy It Now 1h 11m
AMERICA_You Can Do Magic_Even The Score_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships frm AUS!_B1b US $10.54 Buy It Now 1h 12m
ROGER DALTREY CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE MOVIE SEALED VINYL LP NM- US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
COUNT BASIE - I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU - 7" VINYL 1963 REPRISE US $8.05 Buy It Now 1h 13m
EVANGELIST DON & SHARON PARKER ( WHAT CAN I DO FOR JESUS ) GOSPEL LP US $1.59 Buy It Now 1h 13m
BEATLES Can't Buy Me Love GALLERY QUALITY CD FRAMED DISPLAY+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP US $80.57 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Jimmy Soul - My Girl Sure Can Cook / A Woman Is Smarter In Every Kinda Way US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
BAD MANNERS -CAN CAN - 7" SINGLE- SKA / MOD / SCOOTERS US $1.60 [0 bids]
RANDY JACKSON how can I be sure PROMO 45 NORTHERN MODERN SOUL CROSSOVER HEAR! US $11.50 [2 bids]
LAURA MARLING I Speak Because Can CLASSIC CD QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP US $64.44 Buy It Now 1h 18m
FONTELLA BASS~I CAN'T REST~NEAR MINT~CHECKER 1137~I SURRENDER~~ NORTHERN SOUL 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Can - Radio Waves CD US $6.45 [1 bids]
YES WE CAN: VOICES OF A GRASSROOTS MOVEMENT JAPAN DJ Promo CD 87 US $5.99 [0 bids]
KICK THE CAN CREW 'VIALIZER'JAPAN DJ Promo CD 189 US $5.99 [0 bids]
BARRY WHITE CAN'T GET ENOUGH Sealed 12" 45 Speed LP SINGLE RARE UK PRESSED US $69.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
LITTLE RENA SCOTT - I JUST CAN'T FORGET THAT BOY / SET ME FREE US $17.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
We Can't Dance by Genesis (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic) MUSIC DISC & ARTWORK ONLY! US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
ISLEY BROTHERS Who Said b/w Can't You See What You Do To Me STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
RoadHouse(7" Vinyl P/S)Hell Can Wait-Vertigo-VER 57-UK-Ex/NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
The Four Tops(7" Vinyl)Don't Walk Away-Casablanca-CAN 1006-UK-Ex-/Ex US $10.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Michael Bolton(7" Vinyl P/S)How Can We Be Lovers-CBS-655918 7-UK-VG+/VG+ US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Van Halen(7" Vinyl P/S)Can't Stop Lovin You-Warner-W0 288-UK-Ex/NM US $31.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Thomas Taylor(7" Vinyl P/S)You Can't Blame Love-Cool Tempo-COOL 123-UK-Ex/VG+ US $9.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Van Halen(7" Vinyl)Why Can't This Be Love-Warner-7 21973-UK-Ex/NM US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Spin Doctors(7" Vinyl P/S)Little Miss Can't Be Wrong-Epic-Netherlands-VG+/Ex US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Van Halen(7" Vinyl P/S)Why Can't This Be Love-Warner-W 8740-UK-VG/VG US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Homer & Jethro Life Can Be Miserable - Very nice VG++ mono LP RCA black dog lbl US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
The Marlin Sisters: Toolie Oolie Doolie / You Can't Be True, Dear 78 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Chosen Few 45 rpm Philippines 7" i can make your dreams come true US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Elvis Presley - "Unchained Melody" -White Vinyl -1978 Can Import - RCA 1121 - NM US $16.13 [0 bids]
MADONNA YOU CAN DANCE ORIGINAL CD ALBUM GERMAN PRESS SEE COLLECTION MADONA US $7.24 Buy It Now 1h 28m
MELVIN VAN PEEBLES - WHAT THE YOU MAN I CAN'T SING (UK) NEW CD US $20.29 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Madonna You Can Dance 1987 DMM 1st Sterling ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic CLEAN US $44.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Swamp Dogg & Riders of the New Funk "My Heart Just Can't Stop Dancing"12" Single US $4.95 [0 bids]
GARAGE: The Seeds Can't seem to make you mine w/picture sleeve US $20.50 [10 bids]
KIM WESTON "YOU CAN DO IT" KILLER MOTOWN / NORTHERN SOUL LISTEN! US $12.89 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Connee Boswell - Star Dust / This Can't Be Love 45 rpm 1955 Promo US $2.75 Buy It Now 1h 31m
HOWARD JONES - THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER - 7" VINYL 1985 WEA US $4.82 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Cate Brothers - Can't Change My Heart - Asylum 45326 Promo - Mono/Stereo US $1.95 [0 bids]
You Can't Stop Me * by Suicide Silence *New CD* US $6.54 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Camper Van Beethoven Vampire Can Mating Oven US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Pet Shop Boys ~ How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously ~ 12" EP ~ RARE USA US $8.86 [0 bids]
GEORDIE - Can You Do It ISRAELI 7' HEBREW PRE AC/DC US $32.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
PROMISED LAND - Yes You Can - 7" US $11.68 Buy It Now 1h 38m
SHEB WOOLEY The Purple People Eater / I Can't Believe... 7IN (ROCKABILLY) VG++ US $9.50 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Archie Bell & Drells - Show Me How To Dance / How Can I - Phil Intl 3731 US $1.95 [0 bids]
TAMMY WYNETTE We Sure Can Love Each Other LP (QUADROPHONIC) NM- NM- US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
ENIGMA-POSTERIORI (CAN) CD NEW US $22.76 Buy It Now 1h 40m
SPIN DOCTORS-CAN`T BE WRONG CD NEW US $8.93 Buy It Now 1h 40m
R.W. BLACKWOOD & The Blackwood Singers SEALED VINYL LP - We Can Feel Love US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
ERIC MARTIN Can't Hold On, Can't Let Go 12" LP Demo Metal Mr. Big 1985 US $7.77 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Ketty Lester You Can't Lie To A Liar 7" 45 Era 3088 Vinyl US $3.74 Buy It Now 1h 45m
The Cameos Can You Remember / He Vinyl 45 US $15.75 Buy It Now 1h 47m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-verité documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"