INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Mute 2009
SoundtracksSoundtracks
Vinyl$17.50
How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're US $4.83 Buy It Now 31m 17s
DEAD CAN DANCE THE SERPENTS EGG ULTRA RARE CASSETTE TAPE! US $13.08 Buy It Now 31m 58s
THE TROGGS I Can't Control Myself FONTANA CLASSIC PSYCH ROCK 45 Gonna Make You US $11.00 Buy It Now 32m 11s
DAVID BEN GURION i can hear it now LP VG+ ML 5109 Vinyl 1956 Record US $56.99 Buy It Now 32m 30s
new cd singles - Herd & Fitz feat Abigail Bailey - i Just Can't Get Enough US $1.62 [0 bids]
32m 47s
(266I) Dan Whitehouse, You Can't Give Me Anymore- DJ CD US $4.86 Buy It Now 34m 38s
Roger Daltrey Can't Wait To See The Movie LP Sealed '87 US $8.95 Buy It Now 35m 5s
DENNIS COFFEY--TAURUS / CAN YOU FEEL IT US $5.00 [0 bids]
35m 15s
Robert Palmer "Some People Can Do What They Like" Island Records Lp 9420 US $4.99 Buy It Now 35m 15s
JOHN TRAVOLTA Sandy 7" B/W Can'T Let You Go, Posp 6 US $6.48 Buy It Now 35m 39s
TONY BENNETT - Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me), RED VINYL PR 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 36m 13s
Cash Money Oil Can/Helicopter Ride 7" vinyl 1995 US $4.95 Buy It Now 36m 17s
REGGIE LA MONT: How Lonely (can One Man Be) / Darling I'll Get Along Somehow 45 US $65.00 Buy It Now 37m 2s
JULIO IGLESIAS Can'T Help Falling In Love 7" Ps, B/W If You Go Away, 656413 7 US $8.10 Buy It Now 37m 53s
Clan of Xymox A Day Strange 1985 UK 4AD 12" Single NM/NM Dead Can Dance US $24.95 Buy It Now 38m 39s
STYLES P Can You Believe It AKON Vinyl LP Record Black US $4.48 Buy It Now 38m 52s
LAKE EERIE - SEX 4 DAZE (I WANT IT, YOU CAN GET IT) - N/M 1989 US 12" HOUSE US $17.87 Buy It Now 38m 58s
KATHY AND LARRY If We Can'T Do It Right 7" Demo Issue, B/W Build My Life Around US $8.10 Buy It Now 39m 6s
CARRIE LUCAS Men b/w I Just Can't Do Without Your Love STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 39m 36s
Cls Can U Feel It 12" Crosstrax CLSX2 1998 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 40m 3s
Unchained Mynds ex 7 We Can't Go On This Way / Going Back to Miama US $9.75 [0 bids]
40m 19s
SHEREE BROWN Happy Music b/w Can't Live Without Love STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 40m 59s
CAPTAIN SENSIBLE Happy Talk b/w It I Can't Stand It (demo) STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 40m 59s
SLIMLINE If You Can Dance You Can Do It b/w Instrumental with Count STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 40m 59s
David Crosby Oh Yes I Can LP Sealed 1989 BYRDS SS US $45.00 Buy It Now 41m 22s
KINGDOM COME What Love Can Be 7" Ps, German Issue, B/W The Shuffle, 887 570-7 US $8.10 Buy It Now 41m 52s
KWS Can'T Get Enough Of Your Love 7" Ps, Radio Mix B/W Kws Hit Mix US $8.10 Buy It Now 43m 18s
BABY WASHINGTON: Care Free / Can't Get Over Losing You (soul vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 43m 43s
Vintage The Beatles 45 Record Only. Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out US $1.99 [0 bids]
44m 24s
Royal House ?- Can You Party? - The Royal House LP 1988 ACID HOUSE US $6.48 Buy It Now 44m 55s
Hi Fi Tie-The Boys Can't Help It-12" Single-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
45m 20s
Madonna You Can Dance (CD, Nov. 1987) USED Good US $4.75 Buy It Now 45m 29s
Cineramas - Life Can Be Beautiful / It Must Be Love - Lost Nite 237 US $1.95 [1 bids]
46m 19s
LIONEL RICHIE Say You Say Me 7" B/W Can'T Slow Down, Zb 40421 US $6.48 Buy It Now 46m 32s
GIRLS CAN'T CATCH - Echo - 1st CD single US $6.40 Buy It Now 47m 14s
The Other Two You Can Fly 12" Vinyl Single Dbl US $12.99 Buy It Now 47m 43s
LONE JUSTICE Shelter 7" B/W Can'T Look Back, Gef 16 US $6.48 Buy It Now 48m 14s
Kool Skool - You Can't Buy My Love - 4 Trk US Promo CD New Jack Swing 1990 US $19.99 Buy It Now 49m 41s
LYLE LOVETT You Can'T Resist It 7" Ps, Dutch Issue, Re-Recorded Version B/W M-O US $8.10 Buy It Now 50m 13s
LISA LASHES - WHAT CAN YOU DO 4 ME DISC 2 - TIDY TRAX RECORDS TIDY194T2 US $4.86 [0 bids]
50m 18s
Raye,Collin - All I Can Be/In This Life [CD New] US $17.32 Buy It Now 51m 16s
Sammy Davis Jr. Unforgettable / No One Can Live Forever Vinyl 45 US $6.75 Buy It Now 52m 58s
Beatles Can't Buy Me Love / You Can't Do That MONO Orange Capitol 45 RPM Vinyl US $12.75 Buy It Now 53m 16s
The Neons 45 Angel Face/The Carousels-You Can Come If You Want To Roulette US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 33s
The Du-Droppers 45 Can't Do Sixty No More/Chain Me Baby Red Robin Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 33s
1977 Jazz Promo 45 Ray Charles - I Can See Clearly Now Atlantic 3443 US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 34s
B-One 12" Single Feat. La Velle & Jun Bug-Can't Stop The Boogie PROMO 1996 US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 34s
Prince Charles & The City Beat Band We Can MakeIt Happen (PS)12" Vinyl Single US $12.18 Buy It Now 53m 57s
CHI-LITES soul 45 LOVE CAN BE HAZARDOUS ~MERCURY VG+ US $2.34 Buy It Now 54m 10s
MARILLION Cover My Eyes 7" Ps, B/W How Can It Hurt, Maril 13 (Ex-/Ex) US $8.10 Buy It Now 54m 41s
MARILLION No One Can 7" Ps, Plastic Label Issue, B/W A Collection, Maril 14 US $8.10 Buy It Now 55m 6s
BILLY STORM & GROUP: He Knows How Much We Can Bear (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $35.00 Buy It Now 55m 8s
Beatles That Time Forgot w/ I'll Try Anything / If You Can't Get Her Vinyl LP US $29.75 Buy It Now 55m 10s
BOBBY VEE MORE THAN I CAN SAY/SSTAYIN' IN 45 RPM LIBERTY F-55296 US $3.98 Buy It Now 56m 22s
ASHTON, GARDNER, DYKE & CO. "CAN YOU GET IT" PROMO 45 NEVER PLAYED! US $8.99 Buy It Now 57m 15s
POP/ROCK 45 W/PICTURE SLEEVE ELVIS PRESLEY ON RCA CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE US $7.50 [0 bids]
57m 33s
"ANYONE CAN WHISTLE" ORIG SDTK LP 1973 {CBS} NM Remick~Lansbury I've Got You To US $8.96 Buy It Now 57m 36s
NORTHERN SOUL: MARV JOHNSON-Can We Tell Him UA HEAR IT US $9.95 Buy It Now 58m 13s
MICHAEL BOLTON How Can We Be Lovers 7" Ps, B/W The Hunger, 655918 7 US $8.10 Buy It Now 59m 26s
MICHAEL JACKSON I Just Can'T Stop Loving You 7" Ps, Dutch Issue With Spoken Int US $9.73 Buy It Now 59m 44s
THE TROGGS You Can Cry If You Want / There's Something About You 45 - 1960s US $6.00 Buy It Now 59m 44s
DAMO SUZUKI Swiftsure Session 2LP NM 2005 AUSTRALIAN ORIG RARE OOP LIMTED ED CAN US $9.99 [0 bids]
59m 54s
DOC EVANS BAND Doc's Ology RARE DUBLIN'S JAZZ 78-4 I Can't Believe CHICAGO JAZZ US $16.00 Buy It Now 1h
MICK JAGGER Let'S Work 7" Ps, B/W Catch As Catch Can, 651028 7 US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h
Bananarama I Can't Help It (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $13.81 Buy It Now 1h
Spoon GIRLS CAN TELL 3rd Album 180g +MP3s MERGE RECORDS New Sealed Vinyl LP US $15.99 [0 bids]
1h
Lloyd Keating 78 RPM Record "Kiss me goodnight not goodbye/Can't you see" US $35.99 Buy It Now 1h
MILLI VANILLI Girl I'M Gonna Miss You 7" Ps, B/W Can'T You Feel My Love, Cool 1 US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h
SUPER RARE TERRY'S CAFE DJ-MIX COMPILATION. CAN'T FIND THIS ONE! MINT. US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
JOHN HOLT A Love I Can Feel 12" - Dub I can Feel - Naki-Saki US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
SOUNDTRACK: Oh Say Can You See? (soundtrack & cast LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
CIARA & 50 CENT - Can't Leave Em Alone 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS201 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
MODERN ROMANCE High Life 7" Ps, B/W You Just Can'T Kill The Beat, Rom 2 (Vinyl US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 3m
MODERN ROMANCE Queen Of The Rapping Scene 7" Ps, B/W Can You Move Me-American M US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 3m
JESSE WILLIAMS, JR. - CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG - NEW CD US $15.14 Buy It Now 1h 3m
THE D.O.C. - NO ONE CAN DO IT BETTER [PA] - NEW CD US $6.94 Buy It Now 1h 4m
All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2 (CD, Oct-2000, Interscope (USA)) US $0.99 [2 bids]
Bunny Berigan - I Can't Get Started / Frankie & Johnny - RCA 0075 US $1.95 [0 bids]
NEW RHODES You'Ve Given Me Something That I Can'T Give Back 7" Ps, B/W You'Ve G US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Van Halen Why can't this be love Heavy Metal Hard Rock PERU US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Van Halen Why can't this be love PROMOTIONAL DJ Heavy Metal Hard Rock PERU US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Henry Jerome, Promo Record, "Alfie/Can't Take My Eyes Off You" UA 50275 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Garage Rockabilly 45 Johnny Shepherd You Can't Beat Them Columbia PROMO HEAR US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
(DB629) Last Night's TV, I Can Picture My Friend - 2011 DJ CD US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 8m
SLAUGHTER One Foot In The Grave CD ..NEW..SEALED..MINT...CAN BE SIGNED..RARE!!!! US $10.99 [0 bids]
OFF SHORE I Can'T Take The Power 7" Ps, B/W I Can'T Take The Dub, 656570 7 (Vg/ US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 8m
THE SPINNERS it's a shame / together we can make such sweet music 7" VG+ 25057 US $9.60 Buy It Now 1h 8m
JOE COCKER ( I CAN STAND A LITTLE RAIN ) 1974 ISSUED VG+ LP US $1.59 [1 bids]
ALVIN STARDUST Good Love Can Never Die 45 & PS Magnet MAG 21 1974 UK NM VG+ US $0.99 [1 bids]
(DB647) Porter, Can't Keep Still (Album Sampler) - 2012 DJ CD US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 9m
IGNATZ - CAN I GO HOME NOW? [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $15.69 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Bee Gees Country Woman/How Can You Mend A Broken 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
THE BLUES MAGOOS PSYCH 45 PIPE DREAM/THERE'S A CHANCE WE CAN MAKE IT US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
ORANGE JUICE YOU CAN'T HIDE YOUR LOVE FOREVER LTD 180g LP + MP3 RSD 2013 US $24.28 Buy It Now 1h 11m
(DB674) BabyBird, Can't Love You Any More - 2012 DJ CD US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Fox Only You Can 7" Single US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 12m
KATY ROSE Because I Can UK 4-trk sampler CD in 6" pack! US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 12m
The COCKROACHES She's The One/Can In The Hand 1987 7'' 45rpm Record Pre Wiggles US $8.63 Buy It Now 1h 13m
High Energy 45 "You Can't Turn Me Off" US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 13m
PETER FRAMPTON I Can'T Stand It No More 7" Ps, Dutch Issue, B/W May I Baby, Ams US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 14m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-verité documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"