INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute U.S. 2008
TONY BENNETT LP WHO CAN I TURN TO COLUMBIA 9085 STEREO US $6.99 Buy It Now 33m 45s
The Minute Men Engineers Can Dance Too 9 Track Vinyl LP US $15.11 Buy It Now 37m 23s
HOLLY JOHNSON Dreams That Money Can't Buy CD US $11.49 Buy It Now 38m 5s
Can't Help But Have the Blues by Willie Willis & the Wildcatters/Willie... US $11.70 Buy It Now 39m 7s
Can't Smile Without You-BARRY MANILOW, The Daily Mail on Sunday Newspaper, P US $3.34 Buy It Now 41m 32s
Creedence clearwater revival-long as i can see the.7" US $42.02 Buy It Now 42m 56s
Darryl Pandy - Love Can't Turn Around '95 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 45m 13s
Christina Aguilera Featuring Lil' Kim - Can't Hold Us Down 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 46m 21s
All the Pain Money Can Buy by US $1.78 Buy It Now 48m 40s
ELTON JOHN Mama Can't Buy You Love/3 Way Love Affair 45rpm Pic Sleeve FREE SHIP US $4.50 Buy It Now 49m 14s
Entrain - Can U Get It (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 49m 31s
Ice Warriors(12"Vinyl)We Can Be One-UK-LEB002T-Electric-/VG US $10.91 Buy It Now 49m 35s
An Angle(CD Album Promo)We Can Breathe Under Alcohol-Drive Thru-DTUPR011-UK-New US $13.43 Buy It Now 49m 44s
CAN'T LIVE WITH LOSING MBC TV Drama OST CD NEW $2.99 S/H yoon sang hyun US $14.68 Buy It Now 50m 8s
An Angle(CD Album Promo)We Can Breathe Under Alcohol-Drive Thru-DTUPR011-UK-New US $13.99 Buy It Now 50m 8s
FLO RIDA FEAT. PITBULL CAN'T BELIEVE IT (2013) NEW CD SINGLE JENNIFER LOPEZ US $9.33 Buy It Now 52m 9s
LIONEL RICHIE-CAN'T SLOW DOWN-JAPAN CD B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 53m 19s
Hot stuff (CAN, LC) / Vinyl single [Vinyl-Single 7''], Donna Summer, Acceptable US $10.56 Buy It Now 54m 27s
Can't Wait, Grenadilla, New US $12.97 Buy It Now 55m 10s
JACKIE TRENT ~"Can't Give It Up"~UK PYE LP 1975~NSPL 18467~W/L PROMO + F US $20.15 Buy It Now 57m 39s
ELVIS PRESLEY 'I CAN HELP' UK PICTURE DISC 10" SINGLE - MERRY CHRISTMAS ELVIS US $30.24 Buy It Now 1h 4m
THE STRIKES - IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME / ROCKIN (Limited Gatefold sleeve) ROCKABILLY US $16.79 Buy It Now 1h 5m
COWSILLS LP WE CAN FLY MGM 4534 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
ROGER DALTREY Can't Wait To See The Movie LP SEALED CUTOUT NOTCH US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Ashley Gearing - Can You Hear Me When (2003) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
KENNY ROGERS CD YOU CAN'T MAKE OLD FRIENDS US $12.10 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Rhythm And Spirit - Love Can Build A Bridge (2001) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Forty 5 South - Were Country So We Can (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.79 Buy It Now 1h 11m
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Can't Wait To Be With You 12" US $11.35 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Can't Nobody Hold Me Down, Puff Daddy, Good Single US $2.13 Buy It Now 1h 12m
I Can Lick Any Son Of A Bitch In The House - Menace [CD New] US $14.81 Buy It Now 1h 13m
NEW YOU CAN MAKE IT - Popin,Bryan US $9.51 Buy It Now 1h 13m
CHARLIE FEATHERS - CAN'T HARDLY STAND IT! - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.94 Buy It Now 1h 17m
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Can't Stop SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 003 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Can't Stop SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 003 US $7.13 Buy It Now 1h 19m
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Can't Stop SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 003 US $21.41 Buy It Now 1h 19m
CHER/HYNDE/CHERRY/CLAPTON - Love Can Build A Bridge (UK 4 Tk CD Single) US $7.55 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Can't Stop Won't Stop US $16.76 Buy It Now 1h 23m
DJ Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again! 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 29m
AMERICA 7" PS japan YOU CAN DO MAGIC r9465 US $8.80 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Harry Deborah - I Can See Clearly (1993) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Cookie Watkins - Love Can Save 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Fastball - All The Pain Money Can Buy (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $19.97 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Clyde McPhatter Anyone Can Tell / Please Give Me One More Chance NEW 7" Vinyl US $13.43 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Carnal Dreams - Love Can Turn 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 35m
(97T) Brassy, I Can't Wait - 1999 CD US $4.12 Buy It Now 1h 37m
CAMEL I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE ULTRA RARE CASSETTE TAPE! US $14.01 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Closer Than Close - Can't Wait For The Day 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 39m
THE CONTOURS - DO YOU LOVE ME (NOW THAT I CAN DANCE) * - NEW CD US $8.54 Buy It Now 1h 41m
STEEL PANTHER ALL YOU CAN EAT 2014 ALBUM COVER BLACK T SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL TEE US $15.99 [0 bids]
Ammo - Can't Smile Without You (NEW CD) US $23.10 Buy It Now 1h 41m
50000 FANS CAN'T BE WRONG - NEW CD BOXSET US $28.48 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Boys Can Be Mean - Various Artists (NEW 2CD) US $15.53 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Johnnie Bassett - I Can Make That Happen (NEW CD) US $22.26 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Disco Darlings - Funky People / Where We Can Boogie 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 44m
ELTON JOHN ISRAEL ISRAELI EP ARE YOU READY FOR LOVE mama can't buy you US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Ben Weatherby: You Can't Fool A Newfoundlander / Giant In My Maytag 7" 45 NM Cdn US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
COIN - RIDE WHAT YOU CAN'T CHANGE [CD NEW] US $23.97 Buy It Now 1h 49m
COMMUNARDS never can say goodbye 7" WS EX/ uk london LON158 US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Vykki Vox - Can You Feel It? (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $11.83 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Enchanette - Can You Feel Me (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Tyler Read - Only Rock And Roll Can Save Us (2007) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 50m
CLS - Can U Feel It (Industry Standard Mixes) 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 52m
The Hillbenders - Can You Hear Me? (NEW CD) US $20.57 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Barry Guy/Glasgow Improv Orch - Schweben - Ay, But Can Ye? (NEW CD) US $22.26 Buy It Now 1h 54m
CAN YOU DIG IT : 3 x CD Boxset - New & Sealed US $11.72 Buy It Now 1h 54m
BARBARA & THE BROWNS - CAN'T FIND HAPPINESS - CDKEN 278 US $16.79 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Rem Can't Get There From Here Us Dj 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
(828S) Ra Ra Riot, Can You Tell - DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 1h 57m
DJ R.D. Featuring Tangi - I Can't Believe (I Don't Even Know Your Name) 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 59m
SENSES - If You Can Count ~ 7" Single US $5.03 Buy It Now 1h 59m
(885S) The Capitol Years, You Can Stay There - DJ CD US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h
BABYFACE - WHEN CAN I SEE YOU CD SINGLE US $6.71 Buy It Now 2h
VILLAGE PEOPLE VARIOUS Can't Stop The Music UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $25.20 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Northern Soul - DEL CAPRIS / EULA COOPER -Beggars Can' t Be Choosey US $15.11 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DJ Trix Can't Wait / Pump The Bass 12" Magic Records 1996 HOUSE US $16.79 Buy It Now 2h 5m
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label) US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
DJ Who & Neoverse - Can You... 12" US $11.35 Buy It Now 2h 7m
CAN - OUT OF REACH - NEW US $26.61 Buy It Now 2h 8m
BOBBY VEE, MORE THAN I CAN SAY /STAYIN' IN-London HLG9316-UK orig 7" 1960 US $4.02 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Barlowgirl - How Can We Be Slient (2007) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 10m
ROBB AND DEAN DOUGLAS - I CAN MAKE IT WITH YOU - SUPERB REPRO OF THIS RARE 7" US $16.79 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Mag Seven - Future Is Ours If You Can Coun (2006) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 10m
KYLIE MINOGUE - CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD - CD SINGLE - US $5.67 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Can - Tago Mago [Remastered] CD (2004) German Prog Rock Experimental 1971 US $14.27 Buy It Now 2h 11m
LISTEN - SOUL - SKOOL BOYZ - CAN WE DO IT AGAIN - THIS FEELING MUST BE REAL US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
DJ Mastergroove - Let Yourself Go / Can You Feel It 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Critical - You Can Get It 12" US $11.35 Buy It Now 2h 14m
CAN Delay CD/SACD (Near Mint) US $13.07 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Amor,Alisa - Comfort When There Can Be No Comfort [CD New] US $19.97 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Falkner,Jason - Can You Still Feel [CD New] US $13.98 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Celine Dion - Love Can Move Mountains 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Glue - Catch As Catch Can (2006) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Rubettes - I Can Do It 1975 7" Ex State STAT1 US $6.71 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Rudolph,Adam - Go: Organic Orchestra-Can You Imagine...The Sound [CD New] US $15.50 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Jackson,Stevie - (I Can't Get No) Stevie Jackson [Vinyl New] US $18.98 Buy It Now 2h 18m
LIGHTHOUSE Can You Feek It POLYDOR Stereo NM! US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Positive Flow - Can You Feel It (2004) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 21m
You Can't Resist by Jessica (CD, Aug-2000, Restless Records (USA)) US $0.49 [0 bids]
Smith Brothers - There Can Be A Better Way - Grapevine Grp 109 US $16.81 Buy It Now 2h 23m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-verité documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"