INNER SPACE

2. Safe (8:29)
3. Sunday Jam (4:21)
4. Sodom (5:24)
5. Aspectacle (5:44)
6. Ping Pong (Traditional) (0:21)
7. Ethnological Forgery Series No. 99 "Can... (3:07)
8. Can Be (2:35)

- Rosko Gee / bass
- Michael Karoli / bass, guitar, violin, vocals
- Olaf Kubler / saxophone
- Jaki Liebezeit / drums

This is a reissue on the Thunderbolt label of the 1979 album self-titled CAN.

CAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAN Inner Space Music

Tago MagoTago Mago
Mute U.S. 2008
Ege BamyasiEge Bamyasi
Mute 2014
Vinyl$20.98
Michael Jackson ?- I Just Can't Stop Loving You (CD PROMO/1 VERSION) Epic ?- ESK US $27.98 Buy It Now 30m 35s
The Gap Band- We can Make It Alright 1990 US $3.99 [0 bids]
30m 50s
7" 45 rpm - FOUR TOPS - I JUST CAN'T WALK AWAY/HANG - 1983 Motown US $1.99 Buy It Now 31m 41s
7" 45 rpm - PROMO - WILLIAM LEE GOLDEN - YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU - MCA Blue US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 41s
7" 45 rpm - POISON - NOTHIN' BUT A GOOD TIME/LOOK BUT YOU CAN'T TOUCH - 1988 PIC US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 41s
7" 45 rpm - PROMO - RUBY AND THE ROMANTICS - YOUNG WINGS CAN FLY/DAY DREAMING US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 41s
MARSHALL CRENSHAW 1980 VINYL SINGLE "Something's Gonna Happen" "She Can't Dance" US $7.99 Buy It Now 31m 49s
Showstoppers - Ain't Nothing But a Houseparty + What Can a Man Do - 7" Single! US $7.98 Buy It Now 32m 22s
Kylie Minogue Can't Get You Out Of My Head Japan EMI Promo Sampler CD RARE US $59.99 Buy It Now 32m 39s
TOBY BEAU: Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye / Boogie Woogie Melody (RCA Records, 45) US $0.99 Buy It Now 33m 30s
Kylie Minogue Can't Get You Out Of My Head Taiwan Promo 5 Trks Remixes CD RARE US $99.99 Buy It Now 34m 56s
Anyone Can Whistle [Original Broadway Cast] [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by Origina US $1.49 [0 bids]
36m
Inaya Day - Can't Stop Dancin' Promo 12" Double PK Signed by Inaya Day US $3.99 [0 bids]
36m 39s
If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears - & the Papas Mamas New & Sealed CD Free S US $11.43 Buy It Now 38m 55s
The Death Set Can You Seen Straight USDJ US DJ Radio Promo CD Single Remixes US $4.99 [0 bids]
39m 33s
LOU REED - Sally can't dance CD F/S ND90308 US $14.99 Buy It Now 39m 40s
Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the 80's, Vol. 2 US $19.99 [0 bids]
40m 59s
AWESOME DRE Can't Hold Me Back 12" OG Sealed '89 HEAR US $9.77 [0 bids]
43m 20s
7" 45 rpm - JESSE JOHNSON'S REVUE - CAN YOU HELP ME/FREE WORLD - A US $1.99 Buy It Now 44m 10s
7" 45 rpm - PERCY FAITH ORCH & CHORUS - THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME/NON US $1.99 Buy It Now 44m 10s
7" 45 rpm - DON JOHNSON - HEARTBEAT/CAN'T TAKE YOUR MEMORY - Epic picture sleeve US $1.99 Buy It Now 44m 10s
THE POLICE - ROXANNE/CAN'T STAND LOSING YOU - BADGE-SHAPED VINYL RECORD US $36.00 Buy It Now 44m 33s
Van Halen - Can't Stop Loving You - Japan CD OBI US $12.34 Buy It Now 46m 20s
PROMISED LAND Yes You Can / Pay Day 7" NEW third man live Denney the Jets, PUJOL US $7.99 Buy It Now 48m 55s
We Can't Dance by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Nov-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
50m 20s
Rainbow Can't Let You Go All Night Long Live Japan 12inch Mint US $9.99 Buy It Now 50m 26s
Chris Phillips & Alexia - I Can't Survive 12" Single - Radio/Instrumental/ US $2.99 [0 bids]
50m 47s
BENNY SINGS Can You Believe It's Magic 7" NEW VINYL Dox Gold Wax Mayer Hawthorne US $10.99 Buy It Now 51m 37s
Miley Cyrus 7 Things Japan Promo 1 Trk CD Single RARE ( We Can't Stop ) US $39.99 Buy It Now 51m 48s
The Corrs What Can I Do / So Young / Runaway / Breathless Taiwan Promo CD RARE US $49.99 Buy It Now 51m 49s
THE POLICE - Can't stand losing you - 7" single - Blue vinyl US $5.82 Buy It Now 52m 18s
Miley Cyrus Can't Be Tamed / Party In The USA Japan Promo 2 Trks CD Single RARE US $39.99 Buy It Now 54m 17s
Hilary Duff The Girl Can Rock / Concert Taiwan DVD RARE New Sealed W/Obi US $67.99 Buy It Now 54m 17s
Mariah Carey Can't Take That Away US 3 Trks CD Single RARE Taiwan Promo Sticker US $39.99 Buy It Now 54m 17s
VAN HALEN - Why can't this be love - 7" single US $4.36 Buy It Now 55m 42s
Michael Jackson - I Just Can't Stop Loving You 7inch Vinyl Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 56m 9s
Suzi Quatro - If You Can't Give Me Love / Cream Dream Japan 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 56m 33s
Suzi Quatro - Can The Can Pinup Sleeve Japan 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 56m 34s
Dennis Ferrer Feat. Malena Perez ?- I Can't Go Under 12" Vinyl Single US $9.99 Buy It Now 56m 47s
NAKED AGGRESSION - THEY CAN'T GET ME DOWN... - CASSETTE US $12.66 Buy It Now 56m 49s
Flo Rida - Club Can't Handle Me - 12inch Vinyl Record US $8.99 Buy It Now 57m 18s
BON JOVI Someday I'll Be Saturday Night 4 Track MAXI CD in a Tin Can - Germany US $9.95 Buy It Now 58m 5s
Miley Cyrus Can't Be Tamed Taiwan Ltd CD/DVD Promo Folder RARE New Sealed US $39.99 Buy It Now 58m 31s
John Williams - Catch Me If You Can soundtrack - 2002 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $9.98 Buy It Now 58m 43s
HUMMINGBIRD We Can't Go On Meeting Like This vinyl LP NM 1976 US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h
Van Halen - Why Can't This Be Love Japan 45 w/Post Card US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h
Shakira She Wolf Australian 3 Trks CD Single RARE Can't Remember To Forget You US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h
Bon Jovi Everyday Japan Promo 1 Track CD Single RARE ( Because We Can ) US $67.99 Buy It Now 1h
Del Amitri - Can You Do Me Good? (2004) {CD Album} 0514-CB-80 US $7.79 Buy It Now 1h
The Cleaning Ladys - She Won't French Kiss + How Can You Leave Me Tonight? 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Consolers - Share What You Have With Others + You Can't Do Wrong and Get By US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the 80's, Vol.6 RHINO Cd US $11.99 [0 bids]
7" 45 rpm - AL MARTINO - I CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEART/COME BACK TO ME US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
7" 45 rpm - THE McCOYS - HANG ON SLOOPY/I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT - Bang Records US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
REO Speedwagon You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish Vinyl LP Record 1978 US $2.95 [0 bids]
, Audio CD, Can We All Get Along US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Panic At The Disco A FEVER YOU CAN'T SWEAT OUT Japan CD US $10.44 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Can'no - Inside - Japan Mini Lp CD - NEW J-POP US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Foundations - Back On My Feet Again + I Can Take or Leave Your Loving - 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Gentrys - I Can See + 90 Pound Weakling - MGM 7" 45 RPM Single! US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
The Golden Tones - Jesus Is All the World To Me + Why Can't We Love Our Fellow US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
THE BEST OF R KELLY - I BELIEVE I CAN FLY - CD - NEW - US $15.05 Buy It Now 1h 11m
LIONEL RICHIE Can't Slow Down LP US $9.32 Buy It Now 1h 11m
MADONNA You Can Dance LP US $13.98 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Lopez, Why Can't It Stop? Audio CD US $4.06 Buy It Now 1h 14m
THE FOUR TOPS I CAN'T HELP MYSELF/ SAD SOUVENIRS 45 VINYL MOTOWN US $0.70 [0 bids]
DARTS DADDY COOL/THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT , YUGOSLAV PS 7" VINYL US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
ERUPTION I CAN'T STAND THE RAIN/BE YOURSELF , YUGOSLAV PS 7" VINYL US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
(P2)* BeatMasters Hey DJ I Can't Dance UK 7" 45 Single EX/EX+ US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Prinny Can This Really Be the OST? Soundtrack New US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
JEFFERSON STARSHIP - Can;t Find Love - US $0.99 [0 bids]
VAN HALEN PIC SLEEVE 45 WHY CAN'T THIS BE LOVE - Jukebox 45 7" US $8.39 Buy It Now 1h 30m
JOE COCKER-Luxury You Can Afford Rare Japan LP w/OBI US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
CATCH US IF YOU CAN Dave Clark Five 7" single US $4.97 [0 bids]
Stone Funkers - Can U Follow Us - WEA - 1991 #121871 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Element N - Can't Hide - Binary Records - 2001 #63277 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Chez Damier - Can You Feel It 2004 - 2004 #123944 US $6.61 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Cls Vs Junior Jack - Can U Feel Esamba - 2003 #115365 US $6.61 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Was Not Was - Anything Can Happen - Fontana #4674 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
J Dubs - I Can't Let Go - Caged - 1999 #27111 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
You Can Dance (If You Want To) (Remix) - 1986 #416209 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Soulsearcher Vs Taktik - Just Can't Get Enough #63742 US $13.25 Buy It Now 1h 32m
DJ Who & Neoverse & Mike G - Can You (Dubs) #96579 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Mark The 909 King - Can You Dig It - White #137993 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Senseless Things - Can't Do Anything - Decoy #259184 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
I Can Feel It / Razors Edge (Remixes) - 2002 #87153 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
We Can Work It Out - Fashion Records - 1995 #311320 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Honeyz - Never Let You Down (Can 7 Mix) Mercury #32381 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Riva & Bias - Can Closer - Bilingual 5 - 2006 #322397 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Mystery Jets - You Can't Fool Me Dennis - 2005 #167010 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
London Fiesta - Can U Feel It (Remixes) Rude Boy #70804 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Cls Vs Perpetual Motion - Can You Feel It - 1998 #16945 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Interference - I Can't Stop - Poke 02 - 2002 #229955 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Janet Wright - I Can't Take It - Atlantic #343495 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Infadels - Can't Get Enough (Remixes) - 2005 #228510 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Barry Adamson - Can't Get Loose - Mute - 1998 #232038 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Brassy - I Can't Wait - Wiiija - 1999 #307350 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Robbie Craig - Nothing I Can't Do - Polydor #196151 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m
STEELY DAN / CAN'T BUY A THRILL US $8.99 [0 bids]
Riggsy & Bazza B - Can't Let Go - Tension #107454 US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 32m

More places to buy CAN music online Buy CAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAN Inner Space ratings distribution

CAN Inner Space reviews

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars The penultimate album by the late, great Krautrockers of CAN (before their final mid- 1980s reunion) appears twice (actually two-and-a-half times) on their page here at Prog Archives. My copy is the cheesy 1985 Thunder Records re-package of the untitled 1979 original, one of the first compact discs I ever bought, which is only fitting, since the LP marked my initial exposure to arguably the best musical group of the late 20th Century.

In retrospect it wasn't an ideal introduction, and I wouldn't recommend it as such to anyone else. CAN had been treading water for several years at that point, drifting a little too far from their more exploratory Krautrock roots after signing to Virgin Records in 1975. But this self-titled album (only later re-christened "Inner Space", the name of their home studio) at least marked a rehabilitation of sorts, sounding like a breath of fresh air compared to the uninspired doodling of their previous "Out of Reach" (the two albums were subsequently combined and sold on a single CD, a decent bargain for CAN completists with money to burn).

First the good news: Holger Czukay, the band's irrepressible radio wave surfer and occasional bass guitarist, was back in the fold, although he doesn't actually touch a musical instrument here (this throwaway CD re-issue doesn't even mention it, but on the original vinyl he was listed as an "editor"). You can still detect his presence, however, not least on the oddball interlude "Ping Pong", believe it or not one of the highlights of the album.

This is pure Czukay: a 20-second (or so) audio-verité documentary of, you guessed it, a game of ping-pong, rather sloppily played while someone (probably drummer Jaki Liebezeit) thumbs a kalimba in the background. Czukay's deadpan sense of humor also animates the faux-punk demolition of Offenbach's "Can-Can", an obvious choice for the band's periodic "Ethnological Forgery Series" of cultural facsimiles, and the best musical joke of its kind since Thijs Van Leer yodeled his way through "Hocus Pocus".

It was probably this track, and its ragged epilogue "Can Be", that sold my unrefined ears on the album in the first place, in much the same way that ELP's energetic update of Aaron Copeland's "Hoedown" jump-started my earliest interest in Prog Rock years before. "Can-Can", by the way, is listed as EFS #99, one of only a handful in the ongoing series to appear throughout the band's history. So where are all the rest?

The balance of the album is built on impeccably played but undemanding dance music for people (like me) with two left feet. "All Gates Open" is the best of the lot, with a sinuous subterranean groove, some funky chunky guitar, and a shifting wall of keyboard noise, always a CAN specialty. But the other tracks tend to follow the example set by "Sunday Jam", a pleasant enough diversion with an all-too literal title, and like a lot of later CAN music notably a jam, unlike the more challenging "instant composition" improvs of their earlier years.

In all, not the best swan song for such a groundbreaking and influential band (and a premature ending anyway: see 1989's more improved "Rite Time"), but in the context of their late '70s downward career arc a much better effort than could have been expected.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#45664) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 05, 2005

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Inner Space was one of the first Can albums I heard and it's still one of my favorites. So, high time to try to shed another light on it here.

All Gates Open is a laid-back song on an entrancing chill-out groove. Almost sounding like Legendary Pink Dots, with that combination of bouncy, almost happy rhythms with melancholic layers of sound on top of it. Not entirely different from what they had done before but still quite a step further into new wave and dance territory. Excellent tune.

Next on is one of my favorite Can songs: Safe. It opens right into a very unsettling passage with hesitating, almost longing vocals on top of a complex drum and bass background. Then it gradually shifts into a cool funk groove with very simple but effective guitars. Another good minute further on the track gets very experimental. Still funky but with layers of sonics on top of it: guitars, vocals and tons of effects washing in and out like the waves of the sea. As far as I'm concerned they could have maintained this groove for 10 more minutes.

Sunday Jam is a great instrumental. Latin meets Kraut on this spaced-out guitar salsa. Sodom is another fluid guitar piece but more menacing. Almost a funeral march with cosmic electronics and bluesy guitar.

A Spectacle concludes this unbelievable consistent string of songs. Excellent funky beats. I could enjoy this tune for just the drum track alone. But on top of it you get that typical crazy Can ranting and weird electronics. Prog you can boogie to. Oh yes!

The remaining 7 minutes of the album are less spectacular. EFS Nr 99 is a cheesy bit of fun that is guaranteed to bring a smile on your face but not much more. It kind of breaks the gloomy atmosphere of the album and it's followed by 21 equally silly minutes of ping pong and the short album outro Can Be that kind of continues the tone set with EFS Nr 99.

The strange way to end the album aside, if you like the smoother and funkier side of Can, I hope you can join me in the small legion of people who think this their best post 1974 release.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#246662) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Post a review of CAN "Inner Space"