REFLECTION

B2 Refugees
B3 Darkness
B4 Killer

See Original Albums and Singles 1969-1972

Vinyl LP Fontana ‎- 9286 002 (Germany 1975)

Thanks to Per Kohler for the addition

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Reflection Music

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Reflection ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Reflection reviews

Review by VianaProghead
3 stars Review N 272

"Reflection" is a compilation of Van Der Graaf Generator and was released in 1972. This is a compilation that includes tracks from three studio albums of them. It includes two tracks from their debut studio album "The Aerosol Grey Machine", released in 1969, three tracks from their second studio album "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other", released in 1970, two tracks from their third studio album "H To He, Who Am The Only One", released also in 1970, and one track which wasn't original released on any studio album of them. It was originally released as a single.

So, "The Aerosol Grey Machine", "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" and "H To He, Who Am The Only One" belong, with their fourth studio album "Pawn Hearts" which was released in 1971, to their first musical period. Two of these albums are, without any doubt, two of the best three albums of that musical period. I mean, "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" and "H To He, Who Am The Only One". The third is "Pawn Hearts". However, despite "The Aerosol Grey Machine" can't be considered at the same quality level of the other three, still is a very good album, too.

"Reflection" has eight tracks. The first track "Afterwards" was released on their debut studio album "The Aerosol Grey Machine". This is a great opener to that album. It's a very simple and nave song, very beautiful, one of the most beautiful and simple songs composed by Hammill in his entire and fantastic musical career. It's one of the best tracks on that album. The second track "Boat Of Million Of Years" was never released on any studio album of them. It was written in 1970, the time when they released "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other". It was probably made to be part of that album but it was only included later on that album, as a bonus track. It was released as the B side of the single "Refugees". This isn't a bad song, but as a leftover, it doesn't represent one of their best moments. Still, it represents a great rarity. The third track "Whatever Would Robert Have Said?" was released on their second studio album "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other". It's a good track with different passages and different rhythms. This is one of the most progressive tracks of that album. Still, it isn't as good as some other tracks. So, it isn't one of my favourite songs. The fourth track "Lost" was released on their third studio album "H To He, Who Am The Only One". This is a brilliant track. It's a song about loneliness, lost, love and madness, and it has also very good lyrics. There is a lot of variety in this piece. "Lost" is one of the most depressing pieces ever written by Hammill. The fifth track "Necromancer" was also released on their debut studio album "The Aeerosol Grey Machine". It's a very bizarre, obscure and deep song with scary lyrics. This is a song with a superb Hammill's voice and with a good and melodic chorus. I think this is another very interesting song on that album. The sixth track "Refugees" was also released on their second studio album "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other". It represents the most sentimental moment on that album. It's a very beautiful song, very melodic and peaceful with a nice flute work by Jackson. It's a song that reminds me very much "Running Back", the third track of their debut album "The Aerosol Grey Machine". This is one of the most beautiful songs ever written by Hammill. The version on this compilation is the single version. The seventh track "Darkness" was another track also released on their second studio album "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other". It's a great opener for that album and is also one of its best tracks. This is a song dominated by the continued presence of the keyboards of Banton and by a very good and strong bass line. It's the song where we can hear, for the first time, the incredible and unique sound of the saxophones of Jackson. The eighth track "Killer" was also released on their third studio album "H To He, Who Am The Only One". It's a catchy and beautiful dark song. The saxophones of Jackson and the organ of Banton are present continuously and are very well supported by a brilliant rhythm section by Potter and Evans. This is one of my favourite songs of them. It shows the great atmosphere so typical of their sound.

Conclusion: "Reflection" is a good compilation of Van Der Graaf Generator and a great window to their first musical years. It has songs from their first three studio albums that belong to their first musical era, from 1968-1972. However, it lacks to it songs from their fourth and best studio album "Pawn Hearts". Relatively to the selection of tracks, "Afterwards" and "Necromancer" from "The Aerosol Grey Machine" both are two great tracks and represents the two best moments on that album. About the three tracks selected from "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other", "Darkness", "Refugees" and "Whatever Would Robert Have Said?", are all also three great tracks and represents three of the best tracks on that album, especially the first two ones, which are probably the two best tracks on that album. In relation to the two tracks chosen from "H To He, Who Am The Only One", "Killer" and "Lost", both are great tracks too. The last track, the track previously unreleased it's not a bad track but it has nothing to do with the others, in terms of quality. In short, we can say that the final result of this compilation is good. So, I think 3 stars is the right rating to it.

Prog is my Ferrari. Jem Godfrey (Frost*)

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "Reflection"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.