THE DANCE OF LIGHT AND SHADE

Essential: a masterpiece of
progressive rock music

Buy SOUL DOUBT Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. Hail To The Sun (5:29)
2. Prelude To Unconsciousness (3:23)
3. Hereafter (3:28)
4. Waking Dreams: Spectre Of Twilight (4:55)
5. Danse Macabre (12:18)
6. Elysian (6:14)
7. Waking Dreams: Swing Of Lights (4:31)
8. Silent Notes (6:58)
9. Whispers - Interlude I (1:30)
10. The Fall (5:46)
11. Aeons (9:55)
12. Standing On The Horizon (8:40)
13. Ashore - Interlude II (1:22)
14. Land(E)Scape (5:41)
15. Soundscape (4:38)
16. Sunset - Interlude III (0:47)
17. The Nightbringer (4:40)
18. Circus Oblivion (6:53)
19. At The Gates Of Dawn - Interlude IV (1:32)
20. Ashes Of The World (8:32)

- Marco Ciancaglini / lead & backing vocals, acoustic & classic guitars, orchestrations, additional keys, irish folk and stupid whistles
- Federico Benini / 5-string bass, fretless bass, additional synths & pads, programming and sound design
- Nicola Casamenti / lead guitars
- Marco Calbi / electric guitars, acoustic & classic guitars, dobro
- Ale D'Altri / drums
- Francesca Pretolani / piano, keyboards and lead synths
- Emma Ronca / female lead and backing vocals
- Davide Lavia / keyboards and synth (10), organs (17)
- Jennifer Vargas / additional vocals (5)

2CD Limited/Digital self-realeased December 15, 2017.

Thanks to rdtprog for the addition

Buy SOUL DOUBT The Dance of Light and Shade Music

More places to buy SOUL DOUBT music online Buy SOUL DOUBT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SOUL DOUBT The Dance of Light and Shade ratings distribution

SOUL DOUBT The Dance of Light and Shade reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team & Band Submissions
5 stars 20 well-made songs in total, with a running time of nearly 110 minutes. I'm absolutely overwhelmed now. The band's debut EP, released in 2010, already is showing their talent. Hence I would say that solely the vocals contributed by Marco Ciancaglini are inevitably improved on 'The Dance Of Light And Shade'. So much enchanting stuff to find here and now. And a clever concept first of all. Probably even a bit too clever, too much of a good thing at once. One will detect different views about that, I'm quite sure. They easily could divide both discs into separate albums, without losing any quality standards on each side. In any case here we have a fantastic production overall. They let it rock with ease. Nice incorporated samples, four short interludes are filled with quite differing impressions from atmospheric space to traditional folk.

Exemplified by Aeons maybe, this appears to me like a modern rock opera somehow, due to a theatrical feel coming up overall. Entirely self-produced a real essential thing, technically flawless moreover. Six musicians at work as the core, plus some external keyboard and vocal support. This means, except drums and keys, a nearly stable line-up over the last decade. They are providing highly melodic heavy prog music, surely bordering to metal here and there, though equipped with a wider stylistical range, for example including ambient and psychedelic elements. It's a heavy load to point out particular songs. Let me continue with Danse Macabre anyhow. For some time I was annoyed by this Clare Torry reminiscent female vocals referring to 'The Great Gig In The Sky' towards the end. As I often enough stumbled upon such tries in recent times.

Well, to make it clear for good, this affects a very short episode, should be seen as a real side note. Nessun problema anymore. A fantastic composition in any case. Furthermore both Waking Dreams episodes are belonging to the top of the best here. Regarding such a full load given, there is some danger of fatigue symptoms coming up probably, the second part of the album may be unwantedly underestimated. As noted before, there is no downfall to state though. Nightbringer again and again makes my day. You simply have to reserve enough time for this issue, basta. A very very entertaining excursion through diverse prog meadows over the course. No filler, everything is on a high level. Now coming to a final conclusion, sum of the aforementioned + astonishing + exceptional = perfect.

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
5 stars Apparently this Italian band were formed as long ago as 2001, but it was only just before Christmas last year that they released their debut album, a concept containing 20 songs which clocks in at just under 100 minutes in length. Someone can't have sent them the instructions that told them that Italian prog bands are supposed to sound a certain way, as these guys have taken influences as diverse as Pain of Salvation and Saga and have put them together in a totally innovative and refreshing manner. If you want harmony vocals combining with modern keyboard sounds, melodic hard rock, complexity and simplicity, then it has all of this and much, much more.

This is modern progressive music with a nod back to the Eighties as opposed to the Seventies, and more than one ear open to what was coming out of North America and Canada as opposed just the UK, and certainly doesn't seem like an Italian band at all. This is layered, immediate yet with hidden depths, and there is just no way that this can ever be considered a debut album as it is just way too complex and polished for a band to release an album as considered as this at a first attempt! If I had heard this in time for me to put it into my Top albums for 2017 then there is no doubt that it would have been given a high rating, but at that point I hadn't come across it, but am so very glad indeed that I have now.

The guys have been playing gigs and getting themselves about over the years, but surely this album is going to lift them to a whole new level. Prog rarely gets any better than this, and if this is what they do with their first album what on earth is going to come next? Let's just hope we don't have to wait 15 years for the next one.

5 stars I haven't submitted a review in a long time but I recently purchased Soul Doubt's debut album "The Dance of Light and Shade" and was so impressed by it that I thought I should do a review especially as it has not been reviewed yet. This is a quality release in terms of packaging, music and prod ... (read more)

Report this review (#1871157) | Posted by FXM | Thursday, February 1, 2018 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SOUL DOUBT "The Dance of Light and Shade"