I'M IN YOUR MIND FUZZ

Psychedelic/Space Rock

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard I'm in Your Mind Fuzz album cover

Buy KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD Music
Studio Album, released in 2014

1. I'm in Your Mind (3:34)
2. I'm Not in Your Mind (2:58)
3. Cellophane (3:11)
4. I'm in Your Mind Fuzz (2:52)
5. Empty (4:11)
6. Hot Water (3:24)
7. Am I in Heaven? (7:06)
8. Slow Jam 1 (2:55)
9. Satan Speeds Up (3:39)
10. Her and I (Slow Jam 2) (8:15)

- Stu Mackenzie / vocals, guitars, keyboards, flute, composer, production & mixing
- Joe Walker / guitars, vocals
- Cook Craig / guitars
- Ambrose Kenny-Smith / harmonica
- Lucas Skinner / bass
- Michael Cavanagh / drums
- Eric Moore / drums

Artwork: Jason Galea

CD Flightless ‎- FLT012CD (2014, Australia)

LP Flightless ‎- FLT012LP (2014, Australia)

FLAC download - bandcamp.com

Thanks to tempest_77 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD I'm in Your Mind Fuzz Music

More places to buy KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD music online

KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD I'm in Your Mind Fuzz ratings distribution

KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD I'm in Your Mind Fuzz reviews

Review by Kempokid
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars While King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are known for the various genres and styles that they've taken on, it's generally I'm In Your Mind Fuzz that's considered the band's first truly great album where their style and sound was realised. This is a statement I completely agree with, as while the band had a few good tracks beforehand, this album is consistent in its quality, while also being one of the more eclectic albums in their career, having a decent mix of faster garage and krautrock influence, while also knowing when to tone down the energy to allow for some slower, prettier moments. With the fact that this is what I consider to be the true star of the band's core sound, it's about what you could expect from later albums to some degree, with a prominent focus on jamming and repetition shining through, but as is usually the case for the band, these qualities are utilised to a great degree of quality.

As is often the norm with these albums, it really starts off with a bang, this case in the form of an energetic 4-part suite that is what I consider to be one of the most representative of heavier side of the band as a whole, with kraurock inspired drumming backed up by rowdy garage rock and a whole lot of harmonica. I love the way this song is divided up so smoothly, transitions feeling absolutely perfect in relation to the structure of the song, especially the transition into the 3 minute guitar solo of I'm Not In Your Mind, a solo which I consider to be extremely fun to listen to, especially since the pace never drops for even a second thanks to that very consistent rhythm section. I love how the suite eventually comes around full circle on the final part of it to really hammer home the feeling of these first 4 tracks being one big song, especially since it does so much right, overall making this a go to song for me. Empty is a good way to follow up such an energetic song, being far more melodic and accessible, the flutes adding a nice layer of depth to everything, but I still do find it to likely be the weakest link here, getting a bit repetitive by the end. I feel that this would be more problematic if not for how the outro feels as if it is slowly collapsing in on itself, almost sounding as if some sort of tape recording is being worn out and coming to an untimely halt, which really nicely transitions into another quieter track. Hot Water is likely another one of the tracks I consider to be on the weaker side on the album, but that's only because there are some true masterpieces to be found here, and the relatively quick, consistent pace here is welcome as always.

Am I In Heaven? is one of the true stars of the show however, likely being King Gizzard at their most furiously noisy and wild, the opening acoustic opening quickly shifting into a wall of distortion with some yells being heard amongst the thunderous guitar and the equally intense drumming, despite the pinpoint consistency that it holds for the most part. This song just feels like a nonstop thrill ride and definitely is one of the songs that warrants this album being held in such regard by me, as it manages to progress nicely without sacrificing any of the insanity put on display to creat a truly infectious song that amazes me every time I put it on. The incredible constrast between this song and the 2 slow jams at the end of the album further solidify my love for the album, acting as both a great calm down period after such a massive high, and also for being as darn beautiful as they are, the melodies being absolutely amazing. Slow Jam 2 (Her and I) is able to end this album absolutely perfectly, containing the same verses multiple times, but having the fact be negligible with the way each repetition sounds more powerful and heartfelt than the last to the point where breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe the song. This song is undoubtedly what I consider to be the pinnacle of the band's slower, prettier work for how sincere and pure it sounds in its melody and lyricism without sacrificing the compelling instrumentation of the band.

Overall, this is definitely one of my favourite albums by a band who has a number of exceptional albums, having a great mix of energy and beauty while never letting one side of their sound to be the dominant force. Of course this would all mean nothing if the songs weren't well written, but this is definitely some of their best songwriting coming through as well, with almost half an hour of material that I'd consider an absolute masterpiece, and the rest being full of great stuff as well. I know that this is the album that made a lot of people fall in love with King Gizz, and I cannot blame them for a second, because this is some seriously great music.

Best tracks: I'm In Your Mind Fuzz suite, Am I In Heaven?, Slow Jam 2 (Her and I)

Weakest tracks: Empty

Verdict: I cannot think of a better starting point to get into the fuzzy, psychedelic world of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, containing a great balance of their various core sounds while also containing a handful of the band's absolute best songs. Definitely an album I'll heavily recommend to those who like garage or psychedelic rock, because this is without a doubt a great album in my mind.

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
3 stars The first of the string of highly acclaimed KG&TLW albums after breaking into the music scene just two years before.

1. "I'm in Your Mind" (3:34) almost a post punk rhythm track over which early-WHO-sounding vocal sings (in a high- pitched male voice.) (8.25/10)

2. "I'm Not in Your Mind" (2:58) quick switch using pretty much the same pace with a slightly altered bass line, stereotypic Egyptian melodies, DICK DALE-like twin guitars set the beach-psychedelic sound for some dueling wailing animal guitars. Interesting. Wish there was a little more variety of pace and punk-like rhythm tracks. (8.25/10)

3. "Cellophane" (3:11) moving without break like a train out of control, the rhythm section charges on as if nothing has changed. Lyrics, singing style, and guitar play have changed. (8.25/10)

4. "I'm in Your Mind Fuzz" (2:52) again, drums and bass flowing straight from the previous song, we re-enter that WHO-like domain of energetic 1960s psychedelic rock. This one, however, has a little more substance and pizzazz riding over the top of the rhythm track. (4.25/5)

5. "Empty (4:11) Finally, a new rhythm track?a whole new sound?with a GEDDY LEE-like voice singing over some hypnotic-yet-swirling psychedelic folk music?with a very uncharacteristic sound and stylistic switch for the last 30 seconds. (8.75/10)

6. "Hot Water" (3:24) opens with a fade in of a steady punk-rock drum beat over which flutes, bass, and vocals disperse their little intricacies. Interesting. (8.75/10)

7. "Am I in Heaven?" (7:06) a little SYD ARTHUR here! Then more to The WHO. This is listenable! And enjoyable! Nice Led Zeppelin-like harmonica play and mandolin interlude in the middle. An extended hard-drivin' instrumental passage is underwhelming but we are rescued at the end by a return to the vocals. (13/15)

8. "Slow Jam 1" (2:55) I couldn't agree more: You need to slow your mind down! Cuz when you do, like on this song, it works?and the band can produce interesting music. A near-rasta/reggae rhythm track is embellished with all kinds of alien space sounds. (4.5/5)

9. "Satan Speeds Up" (3:39) an interesting if familiar and repetitive intro turns mellow for the speed-flanged singing sections but then returns to the intro for the instrumental codas between verses. Flutes and guitars sounding as if they were canned in the 1960s and then the whole master pressed onto a sun-warped vinyl album. It is interesting and kind of innovative! (8.75/10)

10. "Her and I (Slow Jam 2)" (8:15) more experimentation with warping tracks or time elements, there comes a Carlos SANTANA-like guitar play and solo in the instrumental parts?along with the jungle screaming synths?but the drum, bass, and drum rhythm track is very straightforward and simple. There is a shift in the sixth minute to calm before the breakout of the harmonica storm. In the next vocal section, moved up a key or two, there is a very strong DAVID BOWIE-like sound and feel. Interesting. (17.25/20)

Side Two demonstrates the talent, diversity, and potential of this band while Side One is one horrifying display of monotonous brain-smashing adolescent hormones.

B/four stars.

5 stars I'm In Your Mind Fuzz was the record that really put King Gizzard on the map and in my opinion, it stands as one of the best rock albums of the 2010s. This album is much more in the psychedelic vein, yet it still satisfies the progger in me. Its full of fuzz, distortion, psychedelia, and memorab ... (read more)

Report this review (#2438790) | Posted by dougmcauliffe | Monday, August 17, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD "I'm in Your Mind Fuzz"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.