THE ULTIMATE MULTIVERSE

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Chaos Over Cosmos The Ultimate Multiverse album cover

Buy CHAOS OVER COSMOS Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. Cascading Darkness (7:06)
2. One Hundred (8:26)
3. Worlds Apart (5:48)
4. Consumed (8:14)
5. We Will Not Fall (8:39)
6. Asimov (3:32)

- Rafal Bowman / guitar, bass, drum programming
- Joshua Ratcliff / vocals

CD, Russia - Narcoleptica Prod (NP-250-20)
Digital album.

Combination of "Chaos Over Cosmos" EP and "II" EP.

Release date June 20, 2020

Thanks to TCat for the addition
and to projeKct for the last updates

Buy CHAOS OVER COSMOS The Ultimate Multiverse Music

More places to buy CHAOS OVER COSMOS music online

CHAOS OVER COSMOS The Ultimate Multiverse ratings distribution

CHAOS OVER COSMOS The Ultimate Multiverse reviews

Review by Kempokid
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars And now, for a return to music reviews, at least to some degree, so what better way to kick things off than with a requested review? Anyway, in general I've always had a problem with the prog metal scene, and believe that it's one of the genres to have stagnated the most of all, with many bands simply following a very bland formula based largely off of long songs and showing off their technicality rather than having writing that I find engaging. This album however, manages to be an example of a band following a lot of conventions of prog metal, not even adding too much new, but executing it well enough for it to be quite enjoyable regardless for a variety of reasons.

I feel what this album does quite well is how most of these songs take from different types of prog metal, not really adding much of a spin on things usually, but demonstrating some great skill in the various aspects of the genre. Tracks such as Cascading Darkness have a clear focus on the harsher side of prog metal, with the harsher vocals combined with breakneck riffs, providing a sense of urgency to the song. I really like the cleaner sections throughout the album as well, with the vocal effects put on it giving it a spacey, ethereal quality that I'm a big fan of, as it's executed quite well in order to give the album some genuinely engaging qualities. It's One Hundred that I personally consider the best track here however, due to how different it sounds at points, along with being genuinely emotionally powerful in parts. The heavy use of synth in parts of this is prominent enough to almost give it a synthwave aesthetic that I'm a big fan of, which is paired really nicely with how powerful the chorus is, being immediately ear catching and kinda moving, something that I find quite rare in prog metal.

The final track, Asimov further demonstrates the fact that this is a deceptively versatile album, being an instrumental track that evokes the sort of cold, futuristic atmosphere of bands like Animals As Leaders, but also demonstrates the great instrumental side of the band greatly. The guitarist is able to belt out some killer solos throughout without ever feeling as if it's excessive enough for the music to just feel like a lame vessel for pure wankery, a balance which I consider absolutely essential to good prog metal. I've also got to mention the fact that despite the fact that these are programmed drums, that they sound extremely good in general, not just feeling as if it's repeating the same few loops over and over, but actually having enough variation in the playing that I don't think I'd be able to even slightly tell that these were programmed.

Overall, I'm always glad to be shown prog metal that I genuinely would listen to again in the future, especially lately, since I love being proven wrong about probably disliking an album. definitely something that I'd consider a worthwhile listen overall, as while it may not be something that reinvents the wheel or anything like that, it's very solid prog metal with some great, spacey atmosphere to go along with it. Chaos Over Cosmos definitely has the potential to become something great if they step out of their comfort zone a bit more, but even as is, I enjoy this quite a bit and would recommend to those looking for some well put together prog metal.

Best tracks: One Hundred, Cascading Darkness

Weakest tracks: Consumed, Worlds Apart

Review by UMUR
3 stars "The Ultimate Multiverse" is a compilation album by multi-national progressive metal act Chaos Over Cosmos. The album was released through Narcoleptica Productions in June 2020. The material on "The Ultimate Multiverse" is compiled from the EP's "Chaos Over Cosmos (2019)" and "II (2020)". Chaos Over Cosmos is a duo project consisting of Joshua Ratcliff (vocals) and Rafał Bowman (all instruments and programming), who live in Australia and Poland respectively. The two have never met in person, so all parts are recorded individually and then put together for the final release. The band released their debut album "The Unknown Voyage" in 2018.

Stylistically the music is melodic metal featuring elements from melodic death metal, metalcore, power metal and progressive metal. While there are a lot of differences between the two acts, I think an act like Into Eternity is a valid reference, at least to some point. The tracks on "The Ultimate Multiverse" sounds a bit like they were composed to be played and listened to in instrumental versions, and sometimes the vocals seem like an afterthought. The instrumental part of the music is very busy and especially the omnipresent fast melodic guitar runs and futuristic synths/keyboards dominate the soundscape. The programmed drums are decent, but not more than that, and it's another example of a release featuring programmed drums where a human drummer could have added so much more to the music. It all becomes a little too sterile, because of the programmed drum sound and stiff playing style.

There's nothing wrong with the musicianship though, and especially Bowman is an incredibly skilled composer and musician. He knows what he is doing and he is more than capable of playing the adventurous and technically challenging pieces he composes. If he could learn a little restraint and not play a million notes almost constantly throughtout he release, I'd say there is a chance that he could compose some extraordinay material in the future. The material on "The Ultimate Multiverse" is interesting, futuristic sounding, and overall of a good quality, but the vocal parts need to be better integrated and not sound like they were forced upon tracks which were originally composed to be played in instrumental versions. The vocals vary between growling, screaming, distorted with effects raw vocals, and clean vocals. None of the vocal styles are particularly original, but they get the job done and they are generally decent enough.

So upon conclusion "The Ultimate Multiverse" is a bit of a difficult album to rate and describe for that matter. It's eclectic and adventurous, and there are some very impressive technical playing here and some beautiful melodic parts, but there are also some sterile programmed drums, and vocals which feel a bit like an afterthought and which aren't particularly interesting, so there are both good and not so good features on the album, and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating isn't all wrong.

(Originally posted on Metal Music Archives)

4 stars The passion for music cannot be limited by borders and chaos or cosmos is living proof of this. The Polish Australian project is currently made up of guitar virtuoso and multi-instrumentalist Rafal Bowman and singer Joshua Radcliff. Lead of track Cascading Darkness features a mischievous play ... (read more)

Report this review (#2448031) | Posted by thesimilitudeofprog | Tuesday, September 15, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CHAOS OVER COSMOS "The Ultimate Multiverse"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.