Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVangelis' "Blade Runner"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: What's Your Favorite:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
2 [15.38%]
1 [7.69%]
5 [38.46%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vangelis' "Blade Runner"
    Posted: March 20 2013 at 20:11
These are the tracks from the 2-disc version. The "other" button is for any key track that's your favorite that's yet to be included on any official release, the most significant of which includes the Prologue (also called Eye on the City), Spinner Ascent, Deckard Meets Rachael, Morning at the Bradbury, Bicycle Riders....

If you only have the 1 disc version, ignore the other tracks - the best are on the first disc for the most part.

Edited by jude111 - March 20 2013 at 20:59
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 20:46
Whoa, ... two-disc version? I don't have that.

Now if you limited it to just the one-disc version, it would be easily (though originally it wasn't that easy) "Blade Runner Blues", the heaven a human mind doesn't deserve.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 20:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Whoa, ... two-disc version? I don't have that.

Now if you limited it to just the one-disc version, it would be easily (though originally it wasn't that easy) "Blade Runner Blues", the heaven a human mind doesn't deserve.

There's actually a 3-disc version LOL, but the 3rd disc is largely new music by Vangelis, and it's not really close to the Blade Runner sound. The 2nd disc is largely very mellow, most of it incidental music. What's missing (besides some great tracks) are some of the cool sound effects from the film, like that blimp with the Japanese woman, and that advert that goes something like, "A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure..."

Edited by jude111 - March 20 2013 at 20:56
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 21:53
"Memories of Green" and "Blade Runner (End Titles)" are the tunes I identify with most from the movies.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 22:19
Don't have the two disc version.  Need the two disc version, or rather the three disc version.  Yeah.  Blade Runner Blues just beats out Main Titles for me.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 23:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 23:57
^ Man, ... I already have one disc! ... Eh ... . Whatever. ... Guess I'll just have to purchase the three-disc one ... some time in the future.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:57
I have still never heard this soundtrack nor seen the movie.  I should get on it soon.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:10
I could have gone with any number of these songs - Memories of Green, Blush Response, Wait for Me, Love Theme, and Blade Runner Blues (which I went with). The opening on the ROIO Esper Edition is just perfection itself (which is pretty much the opening of the film itself - I don't care for the official version's opening), and the ending on the official version is just as perfect, with the End Titles and Tears in Rain.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:22
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I have still never heard this soundtrack nor seen the movie.  I should get on it soon.

LOL
Having been raised by a father who has been involved with film making ever since he was a wee lad, I may have been contaminated from the get-go, so reading a post like yours feels strangely perplexing... It's the same sort of thing I experienced talking to a newish friend of mine, who had never seen Indiana JonesLOL (Again with the Harrison Ford...)

Anyways - I think you should see the flick before checking out the soundtrack on its own. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 11:29
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

30TH Anniversary Celebration. New version 2012,

^^^Beware, that's actually performed by Edgar Rothermich, who studied Vangelis' score and recorded what he and the label felt was a close replica of the score.

I have the 3CD version because I love this score and I concur, the 3rd disc of "new" music was disappointing. Not appalling, it's just not worth returning to after an initial listen. The other 2 CDs are worth the price of admission, however.

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 11:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Anyways - I think you should see the flick before checking out the soundtrack on its own. 

I agree; I can't even imagine the one without the other. That perfect marriage between film and music (as was 2001: A Space Odyssey). Strange that I find the 80s to be a dreadful decade for film, yet one of my all-time favorites comes from this time. (Otherwise, give me the late 60s and 70s: Bunuel, Rivette, Chabrol...) (Or the 90s to the present, for genre films like horror and sci-fi.) Oh, another all-time 80s favorite: Diva. Great music in that one too! Wink

Edited by jude111 - March 21 2013 at 11:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 12:42

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Strongly seconded.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 21 2013 at 12:43
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 14:18

Strongly seconded.

You mean thirded LOL
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 14:33

What's the significance of the picture of the guy from The Office?  Or is it just his expression of "did I really just hear that?"
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 16:54
I like "Blush Response", "Wait For Me" and "Memories of Green" the most. "Love Theme" is also great. And "End Titles". Haven't heard the second disc.

Great movie, much because of the evocative music.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:51
Hi,

Roy's last lines ... is exactly how I feel about a lot of music that is not remembered and understood, or worse, ever heard!

It is my number one movie of all time, and the fact that it has Vangelis, and so beautifully integrated into the film is what it is all about for me. One of the best films ever made!

There is one other theme, that is personal to me, but only I can make sense of that for you folks. That film is an anti 1984 and an anti-establishment thing ... that is very important to me ... and not how they consider "their product" (the owl and the girl) the perfect result of their work ... whereas Roy and the rest ... were considered failures and not worthy ... and had to fight for their lives. That would suggest the society failed ... but they will never admit it! And neither would a populist board and place!

And Roy's last lines, are what we should fear the most about "progressive" and "prog" ... and then we can ask ourselves ... how much do we care? ... I will tell you a lot, and you know it in my responses! I already feel like crying, as I did with the ending of the film "Woodstock", because I knew one man was trying to elevate the music, and no one cared ... all you saw was ... trash! To me, that hurts even more ... that we dismiss out own spirit so easily ... and recklessly! For ideals that do not exist, on top of it, instead of reality!

Edited by moshkito - April 20 2013 at 16:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:52
^ Verbatim.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 20:53

What's the significance of the picture of the guy from The Office?  Or is it just his expression of "did I really just hear that?"
LOL ... Yes, the latter.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 04:43
Damask Rose features some nice 'warbling' from Demis Rousos reminding me of Aphrodites Child so I vote for that. End Titles is also great.
Although not relevant my favourite Vangelis soundtrack music is on The Bounty some of which can be found stretched across both Themes compilations.

btw I share Moshkito's view on the film. My favourite as well!

EDIt - got my tracks mixed up , meant to vote for Tales Of The Future as that's the one with Rousos not Damask Rose Embarrassed

Edited by richardh - March 24 2013 at 04:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>