Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to define and classify "Progressive Rock"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 02:17
^ That's the end of that debate then. I'll "goof around" somewhere else instead. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 04:00
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Prog is a style.

"Prog" is not an objective fact, but a matter of choice how it's best to define it, or what/which definition(s) it's best to use.

See the first part of my article (the OP) for a more thorough explanation.

Edited by David_D - August 29 2022 at 13:58
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 05:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Well, anything in the Crossover Prog or Jazz Rock/Fusion section is debatable as to whether it's really prog or not, but there's never been any doubt that ALL of the artists listed under Symphonic Prog are genuine 100% prog. 

I disagree. Please read the PA pages for these two genres, everything is well-explained. 

Also adjectives like "genuine", "proper" or "true" don't help in any way, whether you put them next to "prog" or any kind of music/art. 

But it is debatable. We're debating it now. LOL

By that definition all I have to say is that Genesis & Yes aren't symphonic prog and it becomes debatable.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 29 2022 at 05:09
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 05:20
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Well, anything in the Crossover Prog or Jazz Rock/Fusion section is debatable as to whether it's really prog or not, but there's never been any doubt that ALL of the artists listed under Symphonic Prog are genuine 100% prog. 

I disagree. Please read the PA pages for these two genres, everything is well-explained. 

Also adjectives like "genuine", "proper" or "true" don't help in any way, whether you put them next to "prog" or any kind of music/art. 

But it is debatable. We're debating it now. LOL

By that definition all I have to say is that Genesis & Yes aren't symphonic prog and it becomes debatable.
And to justify that comment you could say that Calling All Stations & We Can't Dance aren't Symphonic Prog. End of debate! Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 05:25

I can't join here for some hours, as I have something else important to do. Smile
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 16:31
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

How to define and classify Progressive Rock?
Or, is it a question that has to do more with the system? For example, I, Joe Newbie Progger, want to search a prog rock website in order to find out about the different forms of progressive rock music for the purpose of seeking music that I might like. How do I go about it? And, how did the people who put this website together figure out such a system?

That's an interesting aspect to think about. Smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 08:57
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

I never understood merging different subgenres of rock and call it Progressive Rock. There is only one progressive rock aka prog-rock. 7-8 original, successful  UK prog-rock bands and their followers. Krautrock is NOT a progressive rock. Krautrock is developed by bunch of German bands and their idea was to develop the music that is different than British rock. Zeuhl is not a progressive rock, it's simply Zeuhl. Jazz-rock/fusion is not a progressive rock. Electronic prog doesn't exist. It's simply called electronic music. Psychedelic rock bands probably influenced/helped develop progressive rock, but they should not be included in progressive rock genre. Proto-prog yes, but definitely not in progressive rock.
(p.5)

After having looking closer at the question of Progressive Rock in the 1960s, I've began to think about the possibility of using the term "Progressive Rock" in a third, very historical and organic, way in addition to the two ways I've been considering for some time.
That third way is much like your point of view in this post. Smile

Edited by David_D - January 12 2023 at 14:44
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2023 at 09:09

Concerning the two previous ways, this is what I've written about them in this thread before (p.16):

"I can tell that by now I'm in doubt about what to find being the best use of the term Progressive Rock, and I may become 
in favour of the double way you use, but which would be though:

1. A less including one, much similar to RYM's, which I guess is best corresponding to the historically and today mostly used one, 
so it can be called "Progressive Rock proper".
2. A more including one, and the way I've suggested to define Progressive Rock in my article here, which uses the term Prog 
as a meta-genre."

And besides using "Progressive Rock" as a label, RYM employs sub-genres
Avant-Prog, incl. RIO and Zeuhl
Brutal Prog
Canterbury Scene
Neo-Prog
Symphonic Prog

While in the second case, I guess the name "Prog" will be most appropriate.

Edited by David_D - January 22 2023 at 11:36
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 08:58

Definitions of Progressive Rock can be viewed and made by following principially different approaches:

1. PR seen as a movement, which would mean much weight on musicians' views and ideology.
2. A stylistical one, which would mainly be concerned by the characteristics of the music.
    This approach is the one I had taken in my OP article.
3. Besides that, the approach can be historical or retrospective, and the historical is obvious to use 
    when PR is seen as a movement, while retrospective fits well with the stylistical.

But anyway, it's not good to fall in the trap of considering for Progressive Rock those bands and albums
one just happens to like. Big smile

Edited by David_D - January 22 2023 at 16:07
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2023 at 04:03

I think that the more various styles you put under the "Prog Rock umbrella", the less credible the whole construction becomes. 
Therefore and for other reasons, I find it more constructive at some point of time to talk about "Progressive Music", and that is 
also how I view ProgArchives today - as mostly a site for Progressive Music.

Edited by David_D - February 15 2023 at 10:06
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2023 at 07:07

1. PR seen as a movement, which would mean much weight on musicians' views and ideology.
2. A stylistical one, which would mainly be concerned by the characteristics of the music.
3. Besides that, the approach can be historical or retrospective, and the historical is obvious to use 
    when PR is seen as a movement, while retrospective fits well with the stylistical.

Hi.

1. I don't know, and sometimes I even question myself on these things. A lot of the material in the 60's was visionary, and idealistic and a lot less about "musician's views" and "musician's ideology". Not many people gave a darn about how much music someone knew or not ... and a perfect example was Jerry Garcia, whose musicianship was way above and beyond many folks, but you would never know as he never talked about it, or, had it "define" what he did, specially on solo shows and his many duets in various places. One would think that the musicianship shown was exemplary and immense, towards one's views and ideology ... but Jerry, I think, was not interested in the "ideology" that was invented about a lot of things, likely because he thought it was meaningless.

2. The stylistic approach is a problem, since there are way too many cultures and the differences are difficult to even consider. The main issue I have with it, is that because we do not have an ear for Venusian music, it will not be considered important, or listed enough times, for more of us to get a listen in! And we can VERY EASILY, say the same about a lot of different rock music from many countries ... and all it leaves us with? A band from Blahdeblah, now does "metal" as if it were progressive, and their construction of their material is "ideological" in terms ... but for us, can not be defined as a portion of "metal".

Other examples of how distorted this can be, is how classically trained Italian musicians can be, and yet, they go for rock music, likely because they can't do anything classically minded with it in college or at the university ... also a major issue in America and the rest of Europe. If Keith, TODAY at 21, went and turned in the score for Tarkus, he would probably get a "C" at best ... and told that the piece was not cohesive enough, when it was an excellent example of the "freedom" that a lot of music undertook as part of its cannon, during the 20th century ... which we tend to not like, and not consider "listenable" because it lacks the constant "melody" that we think is the biggest part of it all.

Basically, I imagine that we have to let go of "style" ... altogether, and imagine a plain white room, with no influences, and see how every one creates and finds new music ... doing what ECM did 50 years ago to create some really far out and different material, a lot of which still cannot be defined as "jazz", and thus the name "Contemporary Music" ... instead of "jazz". I think we missed that part.

3. For us, to find, and appreciate anything new, we have to let go, of the historical, and the retrospective, altogether. For a place, where commercial music and ratings is so important, this is impossible, and the idea itself, ridiculous ... but that is the reality. Just about every major period of music "changed" what was there before and did something else ... and we, in this work of rock music, REFUSE to accept that, and think that everything has to be in the manner of the creators ... which is not a good idea. We don't need more Mozart or Beethovens, or Beatles, or Fink Ployd's anymore. 

All we really want is something new, with the obvious problem ... we don't have ears for it, since we are set on something else to "determine" that something new ... which, likely will be difficult and not possible. 

This is why sometimes I think that our look at "progressive music" is more regressive than anything else. I like the idea that we are thinking about it, and studying it further, but I'm not sure that we are using all the materials available out there, and actually study and understand some of the major music movements in the 20th century, most of which popular rock music, has made a point of ignoring, and then wonder why we are bored and keep hearing the "same old classic" song ... because we lost our ears, for the most part, and are NOW convinced that a hit or two that station plays, is the standard for what everything is supposed to be. 

A new something, is not a "follower", and in time, it can be come a "leader" via its work, knowing so or not. But when it just becomes a "song" and we are defining new music and progressive as more of that song we can't stand anymore ... I don't know ... I keep asking if this is a Ship of Fools or a Fip of Shools!

Edited by moshkito - February 15 2023 at 07:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2023 at 10:06

Definitions of Progressive Rock can be viewed and made by following principially different approaches:

After second thought, it's not quite so, as I think my OP approach also can be applied when considering PR as a sum of some movements.

Edited by David_D - February 16 2023 at 16:36
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 05:17

Something I've written in another thread, but I think it's good to write it here as well:

If to compare PA to RYM, I'd say, PA is mostly a site for Progressive Music, while RYM is an all-music site 
but at the same time can be used more distinctly with regard to Progressive Rock.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 11:15
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

I never understood merging different subgenres of rock and call it Progressive Rock. There is only one progressive rock aka prog-rock. 7-8 original, successful  UK prog-rock bands and their followers. Krautrock is NOT a progressive rock. Krautrock is developed by bunch of German bands and their idea was to develop the music that is different than British rock. Zeuhl is not a progressive rock, it's simply Zeuhl. Jazz-rock/fusion is not a progressive rock. Electronic prog doesn't exist. It's simply called electronic music. Psychedelic rock bands probably influenced/helped develop progressive rock, but they should not be included in progressive rock genre. Proto-prog yes, but definitely not in progressive rock.

Hi,

I tend to agree with most of this. Krautrock is not progressive rock, however, it is AN ART SCENE, and this is the part that is difficult to work on. Is there a difference between Damo and Kinski? Or AD2 (early days)? NO. And the comments that Holger (CAN) made about making music that was not Westernized, or al least influenced by what became, for the most part, commercial music. (To me this is more or less defined by a riff and/or a format!) And we know, at least, that some of the folks in CAN were quite advanced music students!

I agree with the idea of Electronic Prog not existing, and it should be merely called "Electronic Music".

"Psychedelic Rock" was much like what Krautrock was doing. You just do whatever and you don't worry about the contents or the results and in that time and place "tripping" was way more important than a song, to get you stuck in one moment instead of enjoying the whole evening ... it was, let's say ... timeless ... and many folks ventured into it, and one has to give the Fillmore and Bill Graham some credit here ... he just wanted the far out stuff, not necessarily the hit. And later in NY he wanted the Allman Brothers Band, even though they were not exactly well known, except  in one area ... and their forte? Extending the piece of music they had just as well as the West Coast folks did. However, ABB was already not quite the experimental styled band that we had heard in the West Coast, and in other places across America.

This reminds me of an article I read about the beginnings of electronic music in the very early days and how the West Coast style was VERY DIFFERENT than the East Coast style ... still very electronic, but the West Coast style was more towards the free form and tripping style than the East Coast that was thought to be more on par with a lot of academic studies. Still electronic, and progressive? YES for the time it came about, however, by the time it started simply cleaning up the sounds towards more recognizable moments and ideas, then it ended up becoming a replacement for many instruments, at which point it is hardly progressive.

The one knock on the psychedelic era, and Europe also had it -- no mistake about it!, was that the dope eventually was not given its due respect and many folks never really admitted they were ripped ... but then you hear TAGO MAGO and those folks might have had a drink, but I seriously doubted they were stoned, although Damo these days admits to toking at the time, though in that series, I am not sure he was ripped up. It tends to distort the content of the work a lot ... and then, us trying to determine it as "progressive" or not, is a serious issue ... I, personally, through improvisation, have learned that the drugs are not necessary and you can accomplish just about the same thing ... perhaps with a better focus since the drugs tend to disperse the focus for the most part, and make it difficult to keep consistent.

I have to admit, this is not an easy topic anyway we look at it. And there are a lot of comments that are neat ... I just wish we could come up with some sort of "theory of relativity" to (hopefully) be able to integrate these things better ... but have you tried "Romanticism"? ... same issue ... divided in many forms! And the only thing that is concurrent in all of them? THEY TOOK PLACE IN A SPECIFIC TIME PERIOD, and this is the case with Progressive, and tomorrow it will be something else.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 07:06

I've began to use a new term concerning Prog which I call "The PA Prog".
Guess what that is. Big smile

Btw, I think that the Roger Waters thread has clearly demonstrated how significant specific definitions 
can be, and not least the attitudes connected to / towards them.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2023 at 05:04

I'd like to tell you, Greg, that I've been not so little inspired by your approach of using different Progressive Rock definitions
depending on the context. Smile

Edited by David_D - April 03 2023 at 08:15
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 04:36

"Progressive Rock/Music", defined as the kind of Rock/music which progresses all the time, might, I'm afraid, 
just be constant growth philosophy practised in the art of music.

Edited by David_D - April 09 2023 at 12:31
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 07:12

"Progressive Rock/Music", defined as the kind of Rock/music which progresses all the time, might, I'm afraid, 
just be growth philosophy practised in the art of music.

Hi,

I was thinking more like the new age stuff, when folks find out how cheap and fake the whole thing was in the first place!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2023 at 13:28

In another thread, I've made an attempt for determining a kind of inter-subjective top 10 Progressive Rock bands all-time, 
and it looks like this:

1. King Crimson
2. Yes
3. Genesis
4. Pink Floyd
5. Jethro Tull
6. Emerson, Lake & Palmer
7. Camel
8. Van der Graaf Generator
9. Gentle Giant
10. Frank Zappa/The Mothers

I'm telling about it here because I think that when trying to figure out about some music whether consider it or not 
as Progressive Rock, it's good to think about the music of these top bands in, roughly speaking, the '70s as a kind of 
reference. That is not so much meant in stylistic terms as in terms of complexity, experimentation and all artistic 
ambitions comparing to mainstream Rock.

Edited by David_D - April 29 2023 at 07:43
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 19:46
Prog is a hungry beast that cannot be caged. Let it run wild and free I say, devouring all other music until it gives birth to a legion of sub-genres.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - May 01 2023 at 21:14
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>