Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI've Got Tone!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've Got Tone!
    Posted: July 19 2015 at 17:02
The importance of how an instrument sounds is as crucial as the person playing it, and is under-appreciated as a tool equal to a good guitar, drums or bass.   It was Jimmy Page's tone that made people sit up and notice Zeppelin; it was how Judas Priest sounded that made them successful, not just the songs; Pink Floyd's LPs would've been a shell of themselves if it weren't for Water's and Gilmour's stellar sense of acoustics; and it was Eddie Van Halen's understanding of his amps and how to get the best noises that made the VH debut so powerful--  let's face it, it wasn't the material, it was how that record sounded .

Agree?   Disagree?   Let's hear it !

Edited by Atavachron - July 19 2015 at 17:51
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 17:26
To some extent I'd agree. There are some recording that have a wonderful 'sound' that have no real musical appeal to me. But the ones where both come together are absolutely stellar.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 18:29
It's material and  sound. Why should there be any predisposition towards one over the other?

To me, no matter how good an acoustic piano or acoustic guitar sounds, the skill in composition is still very important. I want to hear melodies. I want to hear something that has a solid form. That's why I think Mark Hollis should have reworked his solo compositions, even though all the instruments sounded great and were recorded very well.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 19 2015 at 18:35
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 19:03
^ Because great players are common (sorry), but a great sounding instrument/amp [or recording] is much more rare and can be the difference between 'wow' and 'meh'.   I go back to Zep 1; that album would probably have languished on shelves for years without Page's searing Les Paul set-up and seasoned production.   In fact you can trace the appeal and success of most rock artists directly to how their albums sound;  Sabbath, Floyd, UFO, the Who, Priest, Boston, Van Halen, Ozzy & Randy, Peter Gabriel--  it is how those records played that made them so great.   Otherwise all you have is basically a quaint bootleg of some talented musicians.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 22:28
The sound is an inextricable part of the material. Writing for different guitar tones can be like writing for clarinet vs. mandolin. Someone with an acute awareness for how things sound will also naturally create better material, too.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 23:37
...and then there is over production too. Thankfully most of the greats never fell into that category. And luck of the draw in terms of individual components contributing to a bands epic sound. Not to mention youth and creative risk taking in amongst perfectionist musicianship.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 23:53
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

The sound is an inextricable part of the material. Writing for different guitar tones can be like writing for clarinet vs. mandolin. Someone with an acute awareness for how things sound will also naturally create better material, too.

Bingo.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 23:58

I need to point out that the reason, a major factor here might that we tend to continue to go love back to the classic albums where there were no such things as loudness war, most albums had a dynamic range between 10 to 13. This is why many people recently tend to prefer LP's from new releases because those are not as much compressed as cd's or mp3's, i.e. an album might be an 8 dynamic range while same album as an LP could be 11 dynamic range. Thus no wonder we tend to opt for the ear friendly one, especially if we intend to listen to that album many times. Hug

Edited by Kati - July 19 2015 at 23:59
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 13:00
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I need to point out that the reason, a major factor here might that we tend to continue to go love back to the classic albums where there were no such things as loudness war, most albums had a dynamic range between 10 to 13. This is why many people recently tend to prefer LP's from new releases because those are not as much compressed as cd's or mp3's, i.e. an album might be an 8 dynamic range while same album as an LP could be 11 dynamic range. Thus no wonder we tend to opt for the ear friendly one, especially if we intend to listen to that album many times. Hug

Of course I agree.......Handshake
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 13:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

mhwohaaaaxxxxx and a big hug to you too, Catcher10SmileHug
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 23:55
I definitely think tone is important. Steve Hackett has excellent smooth tones with commanding sustain. Marc Ceccotti from Edhels fame (or lack thereof) has very similar qualities to Hackett's tone. Steve Rothery's fantastic tone is actually better than his playing. Jan Akkerman's playing is better than his tone. The tone is like an effect pedal. It will mold and affect what you play as you play it in a delicate feedback loop. When it comes to straight guitar ironically I like to turn the tone dial on my amps way down to nothing and throw on some reverb. The effect is a sort of ghostly hollow sound with the reverb bringing out my Les Paul sustain in a slightly different manner than one typically hears. Then there's my effects or synthesizer produced tones. I particularly like stuff that sounds more creamy than crunchy. I don't go much distortion. I may use some overdrive (Boss Feedbacker/Booster) or compression (Pigtronix Philosopher King: grit dial) on odd occasions. Since back in the 80s I started doing experiments using ring modulators to add or increase harmonics in my guitar signal. The results were sometimes pretty synth-like.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 00:24
For the 'foamy' sound I liked ;

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 10:19
^That's sweet. Scuffed up nicely. It looks like it's vintage. Do you get the foamy sounds by turning the output down with distortion up? I never used one. I checked it out on YouTube, though. There are so many distortion pedals out there each with a character of its own. The Boss DS-1 sounds awful, and the "synth" mods people do on it sound worse. Steve Hackett uses an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff. I've never used it, but Electro-Harmonix is my favorite maker generally. I have a Boss Adaptive Distortion pedal DA-2, which is unique in that it lets you play more complicated 7th or 9th chords without the notes getting mashed into a wall of noise. Individual notes remain perceptible even with thick distortion. It's a good pedal, but I don't have a place for it currently on my pedal board. I also have a Roland GR-D, which gives some nice creamy distortion and even some sawtooth timbres if you turn the dials right, and it's GK compatible (it can be used with a divided pickup, or with a regular one), but it is a bit noisy. The Boss MO-2 Multi-Overtone pedal is something I highly recommend if anyone wants to play with their tone. It lets you alternatively add high, mid, or low overtones to your signal. It has a detune option and gives a bit of clean boost too. Genuinely nice.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 15:18
Yeah Boss DS1 is awful.   I've heard good things about the Ibanez "Tube Screamer" but never used one.  

The MXR is the pedal Randy Rhoads preferred though his amp levels were so enormous the feedback problem must've been hell.   You hear it in those rehearsal tapes of him and Ozzy; he can barely control the noise coming from his Marshall but would use the feedback, and practically invented playing fills between vocal parts mostly so he could block all that noise(!).

Here's a blast from the past - -

Vintage Proco Rat Distortion Pedal

and the newer version --

ProCo Rat2 distortion Pedal, IN STOCK NOW - FREE Shipping

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 00:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

mhwoaaahhxxxxxxxHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 00:10
The most memorable and nerve touching awwwww tunes keeping a touching beautiful note for long while making one feel so vulnerable was Jeff Beck, he is better to none and here you go: JEFF BECK LIVE Cause We've Ended As Lovers
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 00:12
Jeff Beck - Nadia
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 00:21
Ah, the Great One.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 09:55
Does anyone have DIY effects? This is a homemade oscillator/synth unit I cobbled together with a friend:
Sounds very 'squelchy', so it's not used much. LOL

Edited by SteveG - August 26 2015 at 10:00
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2015 at 09:57
^ I suppose only you know what happens if you fiddle around with the breadboard ... and how to fiddle with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>