Topic ClosedThe Christian Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 92>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Christian Thread
    Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:14
This morning I wanted to start a thread for Christians to discuss the Bible, their faith, and their struggles.  This should be a place where we can pray for one another and encourage one another with scripture and testimony.

From time to time, I'd like to expound upon a Bible passage (the Bible is a big interest of mine- the greatest piece of literature, a wonderful consolation to me in these times, and a limitless source of inspiration).

Please come and share your favorite verses, your fears, your hopes, and anything else you feel the need to tell.

Anyone is welcome, of course, but please check all vitriol or debate-seeking comments at the door.
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:28
I must say Psalm 119 is amazing. Takes 30 minutes to read it properly, but years to go through what it all means. It has become the basis of what I pray about, that I can have the same attitude as the writer.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:41
I suppose I'd want to start with a biblical understanding of what "grace" and "faith" are, since they are important concepts to the Christian.

First, faith is not "belief without proof;" the Greek word translated "faith" is pistis, and does not allow for such a definition.

The Bible says, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1).

The Greek word for grace is charis.  People during biblical times understood faith in God in terms of patronage:

For instance, if a farmer, whose family depended on the land, had a terrible harvest and ran the risk of starving to death, a wealthy patron might adopt that man as a client, supplying his needs (and perhaps more!).  In return, the client (who could not repay the patron) boasts about the generosity (the grace) of the patron to other people (this relates to evangelism).

The patron shows grace to the client by giving him something the client cannot pay back (and continually doing so).  The client then has faith in (i.e., has trust in) the patron, who according to social conventions, would provide for the client as needed.

I have faith in God because He has constantly proven Himself good to me throughout my life, even during what felt like the worst of situations.

Like with good parents, children do not question whether or not they will eat or have clothing- they simply have faith (trust based on past care) that the parents will provide.
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:48
I myself am a Buddhist, but I find much inspiration from holy books of all cultures (I am particularly fond of The Dhammapada & The Tao Te Ching), & the Bible is no exception (though I sometimes find myself reading black where others read white). My favorite verse from The New Testament comes from Cap. 7, v. 3 of The Book of Mark:

Enter through the narrow gate because the gate and road that lead to destruction are wide.

I see a resemblance in this verse to the Buddha's own teaching of following the Middle Path.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:52
I just eliminated myself from this thread because I would just stir up unecessary s***.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:53
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I just eliminated myself from this thread because I would just stir up unecessary s***.

Thank you for your honest restraint.

Edited by Epignosis - March 17 2009 at 09:54
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:57
nice idea for a thread Robert..  I'll sit it out since I'm on a fast train to hell and loving the ride....  but I'll be watching for trolls.. as I'm sure we all will be. Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 09:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

nice idea for a thread Robert..  I'll sit it out since I'm on a fast train to hell and loving the ride....  but I'll be watching for trolls.. as I'm sure we all will be. Clap

So you have a biglietto per l'inferno? Wink
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 10:02
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Thanks Mick-

I just figured with all the religious brouhaha in one particular thread that I thought was about a bus Wink...this little respite might be a good thing.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 10:09
Thumbs Up A nice idea for a thread indeed. I'll watch it while I'm on the stairway to heaven.
If I have some interesting input, I won't withhold it.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 11:24
Glad to see this thread, indeed.  I recently came to the realization that I needed to get back to my Christian roots because the way I was running my life wasn't working well at all.  Being an avid reader, it was brought to my attention that, although I'm familiar with a lot of verses and even took Bible courses in college, I've never read The Word from Genesis to Amen.  I bought a TNIV version about 10 days ago and dove in.  I'm enthralled, to say the least.  I'm not as wise as I thought I was, that's for sure.
"Seek ye first the kingdom of God..."
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:15
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

First, faith is not "belief without proof;" the Greek word translated "faith" is pistis, and does not allow for such a definition.

The Greek word for grace is charis.  People during biblical times understood faith in God in terms of patronage:

Kudos for acknowledging that the bible was written in Greek (new testament) and of course don't forget Hebrew for the old.  Some things did/do get lost in translation.  For the record, I studied the bible as a teen (prophecy fascinated me the most) , I am not a member of any organized religion, but I firmly believe in doing to others as I would have others do to me.  I do tend to lose respect for those who don't respect my beliefs or lack of. 

Having said that, best of luck with the thread.  I may chime in from time to time with some gems from my studies. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 17 2009 at 12:28
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Kudos for acknowledging that the bible was written in Greek (new testament) and of course don't forget Hebrew for the old.  Some things did/do get lost in translation.  For the record, I studied the bible as a teen (prophecy fascinated me the most) , I am not a member of any organized religion, but I firmly believe in doing to others as I would have others do to me.  I do tend to lose respect for those who don't respect my beliefs or lack of. 

Having said that, best of luck with the thread.  I may chime in from time to time with some gems from my studies. Big smile

My "expertise" went it comes to the Bible is Ancient Near Eastern culture (and of course the language is part of it- Hebrew and Greek); years ago when I began studying the Bible in its cultural context (their society is so different from the modern American one), I began to see things in a much clearer light.

Good to see you here, Slart- just keep your comics to yourself.  TongueWinkLOL
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:29
I promise no comics unless I come across a really good, tasteful, and appropriate one. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 13:15
Oh well... I guess you have the right to create this.... Enjoy. You won't have no debate from me.

I guess this is safer... We'll have to create a proper atheist thread to discuss our views without christian (or religious) people dropping in.....

Yes... it's safer to divide ourselves.

Good luck.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Oh well... I guess you have the right to create this.... Enjoy. You won't have no debate from me.

I guess this is safer... We'll have to create a proper atheist thread to discuss our views without christian (or religious) people dropping in.....

Good luck.

Rob expressed quite clearly what purpose this thread has, there was no word "debate" until the last line, which falls under restrictions.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:02
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Good luck.

The right?  Well, I suppose it's no different than how Christians have a right to create churches, and atheists are certainly welcome to pop in any given Sunday.

This thread was not a "spinoff" of the atheist bus debate (despite my joke above)- it was honestly something I had been mulling about for some time, and as I know there are a few Christians around here, and since I've been writing some pithy observations and studies on biblical passages, I thought it'd be nice to have this thread.  I'd like to pray for fellow believers in their relationship with God, and I'd like to have the same done for me.

And once again, anyone is welcome here. Smile

horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:09
Neat idea, Robert.Clap I'll kick my legs back for now and see what happens.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:11
I don't like sports but I don't feel excluded or divided by the sports threads.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 17 2009 at 14:16
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 14:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I don't like sports but I don't feel excluded or divided by the sports threads.

I feel scared of baseball threads...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 92>