3 [4.55%]
3 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 08:10
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Yep. They sold a lot of albums, including a few to me. Great group! But regarding the current discussion, as you say, they were very popular at the time. They've been irrelevant since Empire. Meanwhile, DT has continued to be the standard bearer for the genre for over a quarter century now. And again, I've never heard a band trying to be Queensryche, but I've heard dozens trying to be DT

Ah we have a typical DT fan here. I agree you with 100% that they master the instrument's very well. Unfortunately that does not help when there is a lack of skill when it comes making compositions. On the other hand, Steven Wilson is a well crafting composer, mixer and a musician. Yes, John Petrucci can do some "epic" things with his guitar and Wilson can't. But is that really cool honestly? And oh, they did not create a genre.

Btw, how many PT/Wilson albums have you listened with a focus?

My sincere regards.

You're assuming I have no appreciation for Wilson's composition, which is false.

Btw, thecanswer to your question is 5: Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident.

You also seem to assume I blindly soak up technical virtuosity with no concern for composition, which is also false. Yes, DT let their virtuosity tune away with them at times, but for the most part, they have excellent compositions as well. Too many people hear the technical wizardry and just assume it's there to cover a lack of compositional skill, which is just lazy. I can see not liking DT, but people try to mask a purely subjective dislike with made up objective analysis.   
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 04:17
I'm not a huge fan of either but PT are leagues ahead of DT. DT are showmen and showoffs. PT at least try to be song writers, and often succeed. DT have never made an album that comes anywhere close to Deadwing or In Absentia.

In fact for my taste, they've never done anything as good as Signify.

Edited by Blacksword - November 30 2019 at 04:18
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 01:59
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Yep. They sold a lot of albums, including a few to me. Great group! But regarding the current discussion, as you say, they were very popular at the time. They've been irrelevant since Empire. Meanwhile, DT has continued to be the standard bearer for the genre for over a quarter century now. And again, I've never heard a band trying to be Queensryche, but I've heard dozens trying to be DT

Ah we have a typical DT fan here. I agree you with 100% that they master the instrument's very well. Unfortunately that does not help when there is a lack of skill when it comes making compositions. On the other hand, Steven Wilson is a well crafting composer, mixer and a musician. Yes, John Petrucci can do some "epic" things with his guitar and Wilson can't. But is that really cool honestly? And oh, they did not create a genre.

Btw, how many PT/Wilson albums have you listened with a focus?

My sincere regards.

Edited by Foxprog - November 30 2019 at 02:01
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 23:28
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Dont agree Fischman

Queensryche sold a lost of albums and people forget that, Rage For Order was progresive metal, and Operation Mindcrime  sold a lot too and made the genre viable, not DT.

If you read the zines of that time, the term prog metal or intelligent metal started with Queensryche in 1988, they were very popular in that time

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 22:08
Dont agree Fischman

Queensryche sold a lost of albums and people forget that, Rage For Order was progresive metal, and Operation Mindcrime  sold a lot too and made the genre viable, not DT.

If you read the zines of that time, the term prog metal or intelligent metal started with Queensryche in 1988, they were very popular in that time
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 22:03
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

DT no question. They started a whole new genre, prog-metal. They were innovaters. Bands today try and sound like them. PT, while great, didn't create anything new.

Porcupine tree by zillion years

DT didn´t started anything and many other bands plays prog metal before DT, try Queenrysche, Fates
Warning, Watchtower, Sieges Even, Psychotic Waltz, Mekong Delta, etc.

That Queensryche may have preceded DT in no way changes the fact that it was DT that made the genre viable in the long term and spawned scores of following groups. Everyone who came after 1992 cites DT as an influence.

And every last member of DT can play/sing circles around his PT counterpart. It's like Les Miserables vs See Spot Run.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 21:29
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

DT no question. They started a whole new genre, prog-metal. They were innovaters. Bands today try and sound like them. PT, while great, didn't create anything new.

Porcupine tree by zillion years

DT didn´t started anything and many other bands plays prog metal before DT, try Queenrysche, Fates Warning, Watchtower, Sieges Even, Psychotic Waltz, Mekong Delta, etc.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 20:07
DT 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 17:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

PT.....never really got what people saw in DT.

same...
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 15:17
Porcupine Tree
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 14:23
I have to go with Dream Theater because I can't stand Porcupine Tree.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 14:07
Both excellent but PT.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 13:59
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

it has become fashionable to hate on Steven Wilson but Porcupine Tree is one of prog's all-time great bands. I only really like one DT album in totality; I like other songs by the band but nothing trips my trigger the way PT does.

This is the first I've ever heart of it being "fashionable" to disparage Wilson. I developed my overall lukewarm appreciation for PT along with an active dislike of some PT albums, all on my own and likely before such a thing came into fashion.

Meanwhile, it has always been fashionable to rag on DT, much like any other technically proficient artist or any other metal band (making prog metal itself an entire genre worthy of scorn for many).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 13:35
Porcupine Tree, although I do enjoy DT but these past several years not so much. I really do not like Labrie's vocals, I think there are maybe 2-3 albums where he sounds good. The soundscapes that PT create are pretty special, plus the catalog is more interesting from Porcupine Tree.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 13:30
Dream Theater for me.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 13:11
PT
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 12:52
PT.....never really got what people saw in DT.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 12:48
it has become fashionable to hate on Steven Wilson but Porcupine Tree is one of prog's all-time great bands. I only really like one DT album in totality; I like other songs by the band but nothing trips my trigger the way PT does.
PROGMATIC
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 11:41
Of all the no-contest polls!!!
Yeah, DT.  Period.  Better musicianship (by faaaaar) at EVERY position.  Waaaaayyyy better vocals.  Less moaning and groaning about the world.  Sooooooo much more to offer.  And influence?  Yeah, for a couple decades, DT wannabes were popping out of the woodwork.  These two aren't even in the same musical universe.  
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2019 at 11:34
PT easily. DT never clicked with me...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>