Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAll Prog From Italy Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 277>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

It's not hard to review, but it's definitely hard to review in detail, trying to catch all the aspects of the album. But then that's also part of the fun. Expressing feelings with words are always a nasty challenge Smile

Are all the bands in the current list eval'd as of now?

I think so.. and thanks for reminding me.. wanted to look for your thoughts on the only one that is sort of still up in the air.. Bacio di Giuda
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:07
"Mostly relaxed crossover with a symphonic edge, but Alba Metallica has more symphonic tendencies, topped with prog metal. A mix, and more songs would have been nice."

I'll give the songs another go, and then we'll see if the above has changed. Thumbs%20Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:13
yeah.. I was undecided on them at first... but beginning to lean towards our sub...

and couldn't agree more..trying to judge a band from only a few songs is always tricky.. and we never forget the Darqdean..err.. the 'Dean Axiom' to evaluations here....... myspace.. given a limited time to impress a casual listener... will almost always put forth it's most accessible.. and often time LEAST prog offerings.  Remember.. they aren't trying to impress us here at PA's.  but the average listener to suck them in.. then  prog 'em senseless.

Edited by micky - June 30 2008 at 22:15
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah.. I was undecided on them at first... but beginning to lean towards our sub...

and couldn't agree more..trying to judge a band from only a few songs is always tricky.. and we never forget the Darqdean..err.. the 'Dean Axiom' to evaluations here....... myspace.. given a limited time to impress a casual listener... will almost always put forth it's most accessible.. and often time LEAST prog offerings.  Remember.. they aren't trying to impress us here at PA's.  but the average listener to suck them in.. then  prog 'em senseless.
that's a tricky one - if they're a decidedly prog band, they will give you a nice long one...the most prog.  

Wrt Bacio di Guida, their samples come from the website, so it's not an issue.  oh, and sorry I didn't get to re-eval them yet, I was busy with other thingsLOLWink
Signature Writers Guild on strike
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:48
No, micky. I stand by my initial assessment. However, I do agree that I could just as well spell out crossover with symphonic qualities as light symphonic. But I think it falls on two things: the structure - it doesn't feel as elaborated as I'd want it to be. The bulk of the songs move on pretty much the same from start to finish, even with the keys on top of it.

The exception is of course Alba Metallica, and there lies the problem. I want to hear more. Is this the exception that confirm the rule, or is it just as representative as the other songs, just that they chose to represent themselves with more of the lighter ones?

But as I've already (not without doubts LOL) dubbed Akt as crossover, this sure feels like it. Akt had symphonic tendencies as well. But they had more elaborated structure...even though they had influences from other genres as well.

With that said, they wouldn't be an ALIEN in RPI...I want more from them, and I want now.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that's a tricky one - if they're a decidedly prog band, they will give you a nice long one...the most prog.  

Wrt Bacio di Guida, their samples come from the website, so it's not an issue.  oh, and sorry I didn't get to re-eval them yet, I was busy with other thingsLOLWink

that's true.. so many evals over the last couple days...  it was from their site...

so time for the 'The Big Mick Axiom'.. instead of 'Dean's Axiom' LOL

'from my experience..  the no's jump out at you and bite you on the ass and say I AM NOT PROG'. 

if you have to think about it... good bet they are prog...  prog isn't pop and requires thought .... and that is the PA's axiom to evaluating music here hhahahhah

Edited by micky - June 30 2008 at 22:51
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:01
^ hahaha, good stuff.  Just be careful with that name, folks may be reminded of your past...err...film careerWink, or at least stray from talk of "ass-biting".  We wouldn't want to blow yer cover.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:03
"prog isn't pop and requires thought"

Interesting...I'm goin' off topic...but interesting.  This new Coldplay album is threatening my view of this statement, as if Yes and Genesis didn't do that already long ago...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:03

^ hahaha, good stuff.  Just be careful with that name, folks may be reminded of your past...err...film careerWink, or at least stray from talk of "ass-biting".  We wouldn't want to blow yer cover.

EmbarrassedLOL Wink on that note... I think it is time to take my spam.. and ride off into the night.  Have a good night guys...
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:05
Posted "new" comments about BdG in case you missed them, micky.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:09
G'night Mike.  May your dreams be filled with dancing Hammond B3's and glittery-sequence get-upsSmile (har-har)

Edited by jimmy_row - June 30 2008 at 23:10
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 23:33
Oro Caldo, friends. Oro Caldo!
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:32

"Mostly relaxed crossover with a symphonic edge, but Alba Metallica has more symphonic tendencies, topped with prog metal. A mix, and more songs would have been nice."

I'll give the songs another go, and then we'll see if the above has changed. Thumbs%20Up
what he said

maybe add the word crossover in there. 
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:34

No, micky. I stand by my initial assessment. However, I do agree that I could just as well spell out crossover with symphonic qualities as light symphonic. But I think it falls on two things: the structure - it doesn't feel as elaborated as I'd want it to be. The bulk of the songs move on pretty much the same from start to finish, even with the keys on top of it.

The exception is of course Alba Metallica, and there lies the problem. I want to hear more. Is this the exception that confirm the rule, or is it just as representative as the other songs, just that they chose to represent themselves with more of the lighter ones?

But as I've already (not without doubts LOL) dubbed Akt as crossover, this sure feels like it. Akt had symphonic tendencies as well. But they had more elaborated structure...even though they had influences from other genres as well.

With that said, they wouldn't be an ALIEN in RPI, but based on what I've heard.............I want more from them, and I want now.

What I said LOL
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:35

With that said, they wouldn't be an ALIEN in RPI...I want more from them, and I want now.
oops, I quoted the wrong one.  Linus, this is friggin' close to what I said in the other thread...just...better Shocked You're good dudeLOLWink  Looks like we oppose Micky on this one; the students overtake the masta'.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:39

oops, I quoted the wrong one.  Linus, this is friggin' close to what I said in the other thread...just...better Shocked You're good dudeLOLWink  Looks like we oppose Micky on this one; the students overtake the masta'.

Some opposition will only make him feel better. Is that a good or a bad sign? Wink. Nice to know we feel the same about BdG though. Better than being alone. Is this the last uncertain one? Or the only uncertain one for that matter Smile?

Edited by LinusW - July 01 2008 at 12:40
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 12:43
Oops. Gotta pick up my laundry. Back in a minute...
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 13:00
Yes, BdG are the only one still up in the air...the others will all be moved, we just don't know where yet (that ain't up to me).  Mick will have another set of bands for us soon, maybe later today.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 13:56
I hope he's able to get a new list up today. I really like it. Enjoying and intriguing to hear and categorise. It's a lot like systematic biology, or rather its musical equivalent.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 18:59

That's an interesting comparison, it does have a lot in common with biological taxonomy...and I'm really glad you like it, I've enjoyed it as well.  Hopefully we'll get to see more RPI bands come out of it than we have so far.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 277>