Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fly Jefferson Airplane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 03:00
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

As the Fillmore theaters closed it represented a business move and the preparation to change the music business. Larry Magid began buying up a lot of venues and eventually giving Rock Music a much wider presentation after taking control of Electric Factory Concerts.

In the late 60s when Pink Floyd played the Electric Factory in Philadelphia...the band and the audience were as one. Magid put an end to smaller venues and stadiums became the new concept of booking.

The Spectrum in Philadelphia revealed a much larger audience worshipping a band from a distance...where as before...it was more like family.

Hey Jacob, 

Bigger crowds are also a turn-off for me - I stopped stadiums after seeing Floyd for the Permanent Lapse of Reason tour. I don't think I've entered an arena rink since the late-90's either: I'd say that Yes' The Ladder tour was my last large indoor crowd.
I also prefer smaller halls or festivals (who wouldn't nowadays?) and indeed, I have avoided the big events (10K+ attendances) for aver three decades and am mostly concentrating of jazz-size concerts (+/- <500 crowds) & festivals (though I again avoid the "big" names in those line-ups >> Kamasi Washington has become "too big" in the last 10 years for me to see him againCryOuch)

BTW, both Fillmore halls housed around 2500, which I find a little much for "family" events.Wink

I may have read you wrong, but you appear to say that some of these human-sized concert hall were closed as a preparation to big arenas or stadium tours. But there were tons of max-3k-crowds halls still in activity, so I'm not sure the Fillmores were closed on purpose to prepare the future. The way I understood it, was that BG was tired and not making enough dough to continue on like that for years.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 17:36
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I may have read you wrong, but you appear to say that some of these human-sized concert hall were closed as a preparation to big arenas or stadium tours. But there were tons of max-3k-crowds halls still in activity, so I'm not sure the Fillmores were closed on purpose to prepare the future. The way I understood it, was that BG was tired and not making enough dough to continue on like that for years.

Hi,

I'm not sure that this is quite clear in the book, though my thoughts are, from all the quotes ... that BG had gotten disillusioned with the number of bands that he helped make big, and in the end, there was nothing in it for him ... though I suppose it is possible to think that some folks might say they got taken for a ride ... because it was BG and it was the famous location.

I'm of the mind that things needed to improve and move on to the next level ... though I'm not sure that BG saw this as possible, because it would mean he had to share the money with others ... since he did not have any ownership on those bigger venues. I wonder if that took a lot of wind out of his sails.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 01:22
Fly Jefferson Airplane - A documentary in nine parts:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIyZdVR9QtE&list=PLD95F0A9A7BCB2C67&index=1
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 04:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure that this is quite clear in the book, though my thoughts are, from all the quotes ... that BG had gotten disillusioned with the number of bands that he helped make big, and in the end, there was nothing in it for him ... though I suppose it is possible to think that some folks might say they got taken for a ride ... because it was BG and it was the famous location.

I'm of the mind that things needed to improve and move on to the next level ... though I'm not sure that BG saw this as possible, because it would mean he had to share the money with others ... since he did not have any ownership on those bigger venues. I wonder if that took a lot of wind out of his sails.

Ok, your take is probably close to mineWink
That BG was no reverend/saint eitherLOL. He was in it also for the money, not just the recognition. 

But what I was really objecting to was that Jacob said (or I thought he was saying) the evolution to arenas & stadium was planned by closing smaller venues. 

For ex, I'm glad that Toronto's Massey Hall still exists today, as it was planned for demolition when they build a new one (reserved for philharmonic uses and called Thompson hall subsequently) in the vicinity of the CN Tower and the Skydome stadium.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:17

But what I was really objecting to was that Jacob said (or I thought he was saying) the evolution to arenas & stadium was planned by closing smaller venues. 

Hi,

That would definitely be a bad statement and idea. The real fact was related to sales of the music, and remember that up until the days of Elvis Presley, rock music was not considered important and worth while music, and when it got to the Beatles and Rolling Stones selling millions, changed the ideas ... to where the money could be made ... the idea of the bigger places, was more related to the incredible amount of sales that made the smaller places very difficult for most bands that now wanted a bit more, and deservedly so.

The smaller ones, did not exactly get closed down, although one could say that some just went down by the size of the status of the bands, and the most important one ... no local talent to replace it, since the focus is on the big money and who cares about many local bands. This ended up with a really big issue in LA that got to the courts, and the record/radio companies LOST and had to provide time for the new bands ... which was a part of the new thing ... when KMET was taken down to become whitewash music by 6AM when it came back on. Many of the companies, decided screw it ... we're gonna change the format ... and the rock bands that were local? Screw them!

This has never really been cleared up, and the FCC making sure that a corporation could own all of the stations in LA (for example) killed a lot of clubs, since none of those bands came to town everyday ... too expansive. ... and some places have a lot of small bars and clubs, but nothing that would double up the size to help get a few more bands in ... Portland has at least 40 or 50 of these, and the number of bands going through them is insane, and you know they are all on a bus to nowhere ... tomorrow in Seattle, and next day in Vancouver BC for 10 dollars more!

Again, my take is that it is the numbers thing that hurt the music ... and keep folks out of the clubs and hearing new bands ... and the main reason why I do not enjoy any "numbers" in relation to "progressive" ... progressive is not competing with anyone ... the music is its own ... but some folks (specially one here) thinks that the numbers are more important ... by making sure no one will listen to the bottom 10, of course! Wink

Edited by moshkito - May 17 2024 at 07:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 12:03
^ That's a great interview and I'd choose Grace over Jamie Lee Curtis every time. I remember David Letterman's interview with Paris Hilton shortly after she'd been released from prison when Letterman asked her,
 "Did you meet any nice friends in the slammer?" Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 17 2024 at 12:03
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 14:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

"Did you meet any nice friends in the slammer?" Tongue

This one was uploaded yesterday!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 16:17
I don't think she did herself any good (rebel RnR goddess-wise), promoting these  crummy albums in Letterman's showShockedOuchCry

A thread of mine, when I entered the Crew on PA's boat

Edited by Sean Trane - May 17 2024 at 16:18
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 02:14
Jefferson Airplane - the only band to play all three of the major late-1960's pop festivals at Monterey, Woodstock and the disastrous concert at Altamont Speedway where the Hells Angels were hired to provide "security". Shocked

Monterey Pop Festival, June 1967

Woodstock, July 1969

Altamont Speedway - December 1969 (Oh, What a Night) Ouch

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 07:14
The full Altamont story (and some more conspirationists ideas)

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 07:12
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Jefferson Airplane - the only band to play all three of the major late-1960's pop festivals at Monterey, Woodstock and the disastrous concert at Altamont Speedway where the Hells Angels were hired to provide "security". Shocked

Monterey Pop Festival, June 1967

Woodstock, July 1969

Altamont Speedway - December 1969 (Oh, What a Night) Ouch

Hi

The sad side of this is that only the first one in Monterey seemed to be OK with the band. Grace complained about when they played and no restrooms about Woodstock, and I'm not sure that the show is as good as some of the things that we have seen on various bits and pieces. And the 3rd one was a disaster, and Balin got hit, and things did not get any better from there, and the local authorities should ahve shut down the whole thing right there, which might not have been possible.

I think, in many ways and Grace does not say it, that the things that happened at Woodstock and later at Altamont, took a lot of their energy out, and even though they went on to do a couple of things later, the band was seriously damaged after all that.

They deserved better, and the press was not quite nice about it, and there were articles that the band even was a part of inciting the riot and what happened there. I find that pathetic, when the article does not mention that Marty got hit hard that did not help things much.

In my book, this was what the audience thing became, and we could see it with Pink Floyd later at Anaheim Stadium ... basically the number and most fans at these things were not there for the music.

Edited by moshkito - May 19 2024 at 07:13
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 12:55
4 stars 1966: Jefferson Airplane - Jefferson Airplane Takes Off - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nzXZJ59YeexI7vW4N0QpWtOAI5seV4fYc

It's No Secret that I'm in love with Grace, but I'll always have a place in my heart for Signe Toly Anderson (1941-2016) Broken Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 19 2024 at 13:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 02:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The sad side of this is that only the first one in Monterey seemed to be OK with the band. Grace complained about when they played and no restrooms about Woodstock, and I'm not sure that the show is as good as some of the things that we have seen on various bits and pieces. And the 3rd one was a disaster, and Balin got hit, and things did not get any better from there, and the local authorities should have shut down the whole thing right there, which might not have been possible.

I think, in many ways and Grace does not say it, that the things that happened at Woodstock and later at Altamont, took a lot of their energy out, and even though they went on to do a couple of things later, the band was seriously damaged after all that.

They deserved better, and the press was not quite nice about it, and there were articles that the band even was a part of inciting the riot and what happened there. I find that pathetic, when the article does not mention that Marty got hit hard that did not help things much.

That and Hot sh*t Tuna happening.
Clearly six hour of music shows per night did not help either: 
With Hot Tuna opening, then the Airplane headlining, then a three-four jam and Spencer Dryden (with Jorma & Jack) was on the drum stool the whole time and he was over 30 at the time (see the song Lather); and it must've taken its toll (that and being Grace's lover, it must've lead him energy-less)LOL . IMHO, once Dryden was out, things got unraveled.

Of course things got "worse" once the juvenile Joey Covington was embarked in at the tender age of 17/8, but he had the energy to do the three sets at every show. 

Not sure Gracie jumped bones with him (Cov) though, as she had with everybody else in the band except Balin >> there is a very funny story of how Grace was drunk and pounding on Marty's hotel door, because she wanted to hump him, and he wouldn't open, thus causing her to yell and wake-up everyone on the floor)

As for getting a bad press, the Airplane was doing way too much politics, so when the hammer fell back down, it fell onto the 2400 Fulton nest. 

FTM, this is a first that I hear that JA & GD got the blame for hiring the Hell's for security. This was the Stones' show and both Frisco bands had little to do with the organization.
Personally, I'd heard that Jagger had echoes that they were fine and that the English chapter had been used over in the UK as security service, and it had worked fine (one can imagine the UK chapter of HA having tea at 5PM LOL ).

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 07:27

As for getting a bad press, the Airplane was doing way too much politics, so when the hammer fell back down, it fell onto the 2400 Fulton nest. 

Hi,

It's no different today, I suppose. Everyone says something and everyone gets trashed silly and looks stupid in the media, regardless of who reports it ... it feels like Mr. T's TV show ... and no one, gets upset with the attitude problem, in the media, about trashing anything, and JA was as good as anyone else, when it came to politics, but that's like saying Joan Baez did not get "lynched" by the mob for opening her mouth. As did many others, and of course, later, the irony of it all, is seeing The Doors's music being used in Coppola's film, in the most destructive manner ... which suggested to many reviewers that the music was incendiary and would get you in trouble ... a very media attitude. A drug fueled madness!

The big issue, in my own paranoid idea, is that all the left handed media disappeared, in the late 70's and were either sold, or just plain closed with no advertising ability being stolen (you sign a deal with them and you won't get our hundred thousand for the Army and Navy!!!) ... and no one said anything. (True fact, btw, as it happened in Santa Barbara!!!) ... and here came the "media" making you think that war was good, or at least in Mr. Kissinger's own words ... "war is good for business..." 

I just kinda thought that by the time things got to Altamont, that we were entering a time that was starting to look scary. And many of the Woodstock bands got some serious money, but the sad part is that at least 10 other bands got nothing and were not even given the ability to showcase its work in an album ... thus, the mark of the _____ (... the saying where the money is, evil resides!) was set, so to speak.

Having seen what I went through in Madison during Kent State and many an event (school has 50K students ... thus you know how independent many were then, and the ugly side of some of the rich republicans (so to speak ... not that democrats did not have the same thing!) was not yet quite visible at the time. But Kent State got immediately shoved aside as a non-event with very sad political consequences. 

To this day, "freedom of speech" has been a problem and the Supreme Court doesn't care, otherwise folks like the well known Mrs Gore (I'll make sure you never get another contract!) situation would not continue and live even better and more so under the past several Republican White House folks.

The arts, should be allowed to "talk" ... so what we're saying is that Picasso's Guernica is just a painting, and not a statement about the civil war in Spain that was totally visible through the window of your house in Madrid and other places! 

Time out. I'm of the opinion that we need to help protect our artists and spokespersons. JA was just as important as many others, some of which got gunned down!

Edited by moshkito - May 24 2024 at 19:14
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12