Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

There are no 1-star albums, are there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There are no 1-star albums, are there?
    Posted: October 25 2020 at 09:58
This came up to me as an interesting topic after a post I made earlier today, are there any albums on PA that could be rated as 1*? I wouldn't give this to any album that I have heard (that has a page here), but I am curious to see what might come out as responses from the fellow forum users.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:09
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

This came up to me as an interesting topic after a post I made earlier today, are there any albums on PA that could be rated as 1*? I wouldn't give this to any album that I have heard (that has a page here), but I am curious to see what might come out as responses from the fellow forum users.
I totally agree. I've never given a 1-star rating to any albums here either. 1-star ratings are for Rap & Hip Hop albums. Wink
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:11
I would give Neal Morse "Jesus Christ.." and the Anderson/Stolt album one star. There are many that deserve one star. Most reviewers give two stars as their lowest rating. Too many five star reviews on PA, imo.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - October 25 2020 at 10:13
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:12
I have rated 4 albums with 1 star. 
I will also change my Yes - Open Your Eyes rating from 2 stars, to 1 star. 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I totally agree. I've never given a 1-star rating to any albums here either. 1-star ratings are for Rap & Hip Hop albums. Wink

I can't agree more with you on this! This is the only music I can't stand. Cheers, Paul!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Which ones, Cristi?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:29

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Which ones, Cristi?

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Yes - Open Your Eyes
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece
Nightwish Human || Nature

Queensryche have a couple of albums deserve even less. EmbarrassedLOL

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:31
I very seldom give out a 1-star review, but there have been a few exceptions.  The album has to be really bad, poorly recorded (as in some "official bootlegs") or obsolete.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:31
Try Torman Maxt (an old joke),

I'm sure there are many albums at PA that I could rate one based on my tastes, but it's unlikely that I would manage to listen all the way through.  I'm not much of a masochist. There are lots that I could have given two to.  I have only liked to rate my favourites, so it will be skewed very high.   It's so subjective. To me 5 stars = "Yowza! I really love that!"   I've given three stars to albums that I love.  I actually have heard some that would be one worthy per my tastes when evaluating acts, but had they been included, I wouldn't have had the heart to rate them (wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of those mostly DIY type artists involved).  And I wouldn't like to rate/review music of a style that I'm not into/ very familiar with -- I'd rather compare ilk to ilk.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:38
From 339 reviews, I have rated a mere 4 as one star, and I think that this is about right, because it is very rare that a musical work has barely any merit at all.

The albums in question are:

Yes. Open Your Eyes. I stand by this. A piece of work which should have remained firmly in the Sherwood/Squire pantheon where it was conceived

Fish. Songs From The Mirror. I also stand by this. A shocking collection of covers which was purely a last ditch attempt at renewing a commercial career. It failed utterly on all counts

Asia. Live in Massachusetts ‘83. I also stand by this. A live album which sounds as if the protagonists were playing in a phone booth in Outer Mongolia.

King Crimson. The Construkction of Light. This is the only one of the four where I believe that I was overly harsh. I am still not particularly keen on it, and regard it as the worst of KCs studio output, and far too industrial throughout, but it is worth 2 stars, I think.

I have awarded 5 stars to 58 albums, so just short of one in five. I do not think this is overly generous, especially when you consider that quite a few of them are albums I reviewed early on from the so-called classic artists and albums which most would say are indispensable.

Looking at these, I would change my rating for Marillion’s Happiness is the Road to 4 stars. I think it was my first review on the site, and a shocking example of a Master Fanboy. The rest are justified purely by my personal taste, and this is, after all, the entire point. An opinion on music is entirely subjective. Once you read people’s reviews on the site, you get to know who generally shares your tastes. For example, I know that an album Tszirmay (Thomas) really likes will float my boat, as it were, and vice versa.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 10:48
The lowest average rating I think I've seen on this site was 1.50 for Triumvirat's "Russian Roulette" with 87 ratings... Certainly not a good album though I wouldn't personally think it's horrible enough to quite deserve that. I'd say my experiences with Genesis's "Calling All Stations", Frank Zappa's "Thing-Fish" and 3's "To The Power Of Three" were negative enough to warrant them getting a one-star rating from me.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:10
I could easily give lots of albums one star, but I don't exactly go chasing after albums that might deserve it.

The definition on PA is: "Poor. Only for completionists (2%)", which I wouldn't have any problem giving to truly bad albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I would give Neal Morse "Jesus Christ.." and the Anderson/Stolt album one star. There are many that deserve one star. Most reviewers give two stars as their lowest rating. Too many five star reviews on PA, imo.

The Anderson/Stolt collaboration is a 4-star album for me, so it just goes to show how much opinions can vary. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 25 2020 at 11:15
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:14
As always these are highly personal opinions and this is one that came with PA recommendations, but this is clearly the worst "album" I have ever heard.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:15
I give one Pentangle BBC Sessions album one star for it's horrible audio quality as it was unlistenable, imho. So, it would only be something of that magnitude that would cause me to do the same in future.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:17
I don't review albums I don't like, so the lowest review I'll give is three stars.
Not that I don't think there are one star albums. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:21
I generally stick to rating albums i like, I also don't tend to give bad albums a lot of listens just so I could write a review
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:22
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I don't review albums I don't like, so the lowest review I'll give is three stars.
Not that I don't think there are one star albums. 
Same here. I've never given less than three stars to any album I've reviewed either, so that rules out me ever reviewing at least half of King Crimson's albums. Tongue

My apologies to Crimson Mellotron for sticking the knife into King Crimson again. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 25 2020 at 11:43
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:40
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

As always these are highly personal opinions and this is one that came with PA recommendations, but this is clearly the worst "album" I have ever heard.

I'll make sure to check this one out.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Try Torman Maxt (an old joke),

I'm sure there are many albums at PA that I could rate one based on my tastes, but it's unlikely that I would manage to listen all the way through.  I'm not much of a masochist. There are lots that I could have given two to.  I have only liked to rate my favourites, so it will be skewed very high.   It's so subjective. To me 5 stars = "Yowza! I really love that!"   I've given three stars to albums that I love.  I actually have heard some that would be one worthy per my tastes when evaluating acts, but had they been included, I wouldn't have had the heart to rate them (wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of those mostly DIY type artists involved).  And I wouldn't like to rate/review music of a style that I'm not into/ very familiar with -- I'd rather compare ilk to ilk.

I don't want to start another new topic today, so which artists/types of artists do you consider DIY? And what do you actually mean by that? Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>