Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLanguage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Language
    Posted: May 15 2004 at 13:17

As anybody can find reading my profile, I'm a Spanish speaker and obviously it's easier for me to write in my own language BUT

I believe this is site designed in English and it's not right to read reviews in different languages, until now I've seen some in Spanish, French and even Portuguese.

Luckily I can understand most of what it's written in all this languages because all have a latin root but English speakers can't, and this is a place for everybody to understand, where will this stop, maybe tomorrow we'll find a review with Thai characters or written in Russisch Alfabet.

I believe everything must be uniform, so I suggest that all reviews in other language different to English should be deleted.

There are lot's of places to write and read reviews in other languages, I visit some in Spanish and the administrators of those pages delete any post not written in our language and it's Ok, so I believe Prog Archives should do the same.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Foxy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2004 at 13:31

You should be a Russian speaker judging by your nick

Anyway, it is really annoying to see a review in a language you do not understand. Of course you can use Google's translation, but, oh dear, it is so awkward. I agree, that all review should be in English. I am not sure about such drastic measures as deleting non-English posts, it is up to admins, however, something has to be done about it. Otherwise we may have several sub-communities on this site, which would be a shame.

Edited by Foxy
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2004 at 14:30
What about reviews in French or in Polish ?
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2004 at 15:19

I speak one language only, and not very well at that. I have no problem what-so-ever with people expressing themselves in their own language. If nothing else, it opens this site to the world as a whole and I find that beautiful. That may be the single reason that the "star" system really is important. I understand a few words here and there and can usually get the gist of there reviewers message but the number of stars says quite a lot.

Could we, maybe, have translations available as many other sites have?    

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2004 at 02:13

Iván and danbo: I agree with both of you!

Iván raises an interesting point though. I, too, would not understand a posting in Thai or Russian and that brings it to the crux: what if the site administrators or other members cannot understand the content and it is highly defamatory or politically oriented or - for that matter - an incitment or threat of some kind? Highly unlikely, I know, but not impossible. Ignorance is bliss, but...

On the other hand, it would be such a shame if enthusiasts who cannot express themselves in English could not participate in any way (although one such review on the site just consisted of the word "mierda" and I would have preferred an explanation of why he thinks it's a mierda!). I find it a bit sad in some ways that the world appears to be busy learning English, but I suppose we are in a global economy with the Internet, some sort of lingua franca is needed, and English is as good as anything else for that purpose (So much for Esperanto).

So, on reflection, I agree with Iván (desgraciadamente ).

And, while we're at it, I think the data stream from Vega should be deleted too.

Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 00:15

Quite often I’ve come across an album I really wanted to read about ... only to find out the review was written in a foreign language . This can be quite a let-down, especially when the cd is given a high rating .

Short of an automatic translator, perhaps Admin. could allow reviews in foreign languages provided they are also written in English (or at lease a short summary of it)? Even if they’re not written in the Queen’s English, maybe just a couple of sentences would be enough and no reader would feel shut out.

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 03:29

It's easy enough to find an online translator - even if they all tend to do a very rough job.

I don't think people should be co-erced to write in English if they don't want to (or possibly can't!); it's easier to express your thoughts if you write in the language you are most familiar with. Otherwise you are spending half your thought processes translating.

I think that it's better for people who really want to read the reviews to put in the translation effort, so that at least they can get a good idea of what the reviewer meant. Also, you could use Private Messenger to communicate with them and ask questions about what they meant - thus getting  a kind of "personalised" review.

You can't do that on Amazon!

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 03:36
Vell ay do knot spiik Anglish wery vell, butt may Amerikann is jasst greyt.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 07:19
That's the most sense you've made for weeks!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 10:16

Zhank yuo.

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 20:57
I disagree. Many people choose to write a review at this site in their own languages because it's the better designed, it's really easy to find any band or cd and there's an instant access to write a review. So, existing many people writing in Spanish, French or any "not-official" language, surely will be more readers from another countries. If I'd see a review in Thai, Russian or Japanese, I couldn't read it, but a lot of people (who can't read in English) yes, increasing the number of members. And I can wait the same review in my languages. After all, this is not the Tower of Babel.  
Hibou View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 00:11

Lord knows I wouldn’t want anyone to feel ‘coerced’ into writing in any language. But if you're a Prog-Archive admin and you want your reviews to reach a maximum of readers, your best bet is still English (I personally would find it much easier to write in French - no doubt it would please a lot of French-speaking proggers, but it would also alienate the majority of readers).

Perhaps an on-line translator is the best solution after all, as Certif1ed said.

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 03:37

Perhaps "co-erced" was too strong - just making a point in my normal size 12 boots kinda way

I see this whole translation thing as being like prog music itself; It's written and "performed" by the artist using the "language" (could be actual language or musical style) the artists choose.

You, as an intelligent progger then spend a lot of (enjoyable) time deciphering - and getting lots of pleasure out of doing so, because the closer you get to the essence of what the artist was trying to put forward, the more enjoyable the whole experience becomes. If it's blatantly obvious, it quickly becomes boring - and would, in fact, be pop music, not prog!

Edited by Certif1ed
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2004 at 22:06

For those who doubt, being 9:02 pm, Sunday May 23th, all the reviews in the front page are in spanish.

Any person that wants to do a review will think it twice, and believe this is a page in Spanish.

I don't believe it's OK even though I'm a Spanish speaker, there are pages for other laguages different than English.

Iván

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 02:59

I'm inclined to agree, Ivan!

Guidelines ask for English!

I'll try to write a review or two tomorrow.... hopefully in English!

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 03:01
Or Irish !!!!!!!!!!!!
Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 13:00

I still disagree. Lately, there are some long Spanish reviews that I read and enjoy, and I guess many people too. I'm not the owner of this site, but I think that many people really like Progarchives.com beyond their own language, and could be unfair don't let him/her to express. BTW, each one can decide which review deserves to be read or not.   

Sigo en desacuerdo. Ultimamente, hay algunas largas reseñas en español que yo leo y disfruto, y supongo que otra gente que no habla inglés también lo hace. No soy el dueño de este sitio, pero me parece que si alguien se encariñó con Progarchives.com sin ser anglo parlante, sería injusto no permitirle expresarse. Y, en todo caso, cada lector tiene el derecho de decidir qué reseña leer y cuál no.    

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 14:56

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

Or Irish !!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean Gaelic? Me mother is Irish!

Edited by Joren
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 21:50

Marcelo: Te puedo dar el nombre de 10 páginas sobre Rock Progresivo en español, y me cuentas que te responden si osas escribir algo en inglés. Creo que hay un lugar para cada cosa y cada cosa en su lugar.

Como podrás inmaginarte no tengo nada contra mi propio idioma, es mas me encanta visitar esas páginas y escribir en mi lengua, pero también creo en el orden y el respeto de las reglas, por algo soy abogado.

Marcelo, I can give you the name of 10 prog' web pages in Spanish, and you can tell me what do they answer if you dare to write something in English. I believe there's a place for everything and everything must be in it's place.

As you can imagine, I have nothing against my own language, I love to visit those pages and write in my own tongue, but I also believe in the order and respect for rules, that's why I'm a Lawyer.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 23:57
Ivan, just different points of view  (I'll take care from a sue  ... )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>