Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMetallica?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 18:50
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

An 8 minute instrumental with quite a great, GREAT intro, how the bass is slowly joined by the drums and then THE monster riff, then the solos...PLEASE.... EVEN MASTER PETRUCCI wouldn't exist without this.

enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 17:18

And I don't agree with the Black album not being progressive... Actually, in a weird way, it's the logical conclusion of all the progression of Metallica since Kill 'Em All, but achieving total conciseness.... All the riffs reduced to their perfect expression, all the multi-sections and dynamic changes reduced to their most punching, effective strength. Sorry, the BLACK album is thrash metal being de-thrashed and "proggesized" into a new, almost perfect in its effect, form of METAL.

As Cert1fied said, most of the negative answers have been : "NO", "Dead", "They suck"... the MUSICAL answers? Those that favor the YES.

Because, musically, there's no question about it.

Whoa, hold on there a second.

Black album ... prog? I agree on the sentiment that MOP and AJFA give strong arguments for inclusion, but the Black album is really some of the least-proggiest music I've ever heard. Relatively short verse-chorus-verse songs lacking the complexity of their peak, no concept throughout the album as can be seen to some degree in MOP and AJFA ... really now, your argument that they should be included is strong, don't kill it with a "Black album is prog" argument that makes very little sense (IMO).

Also, in terms of musical answers favoring "yes", note that my original post, as well as paolo's post above this one, as well as some others, either imply or outright state that people who know Metallica's music are uncomfortable with the slipperly slope this will lead us into ... i.e. downhill towards ProgAndMetalArchives.

paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 15:40

Originally posted by paolo.beenees paolo.beenees wrote:

If you add Metallica, I expect a spot also for Celtic Frost and Mercyful Fate. Evil%20Smile

erm... I almost forgot King Diamond... forgive me Kim!

No, the point isn't to turn this site into an all-metal site, no. But Metallica was a cornerstone, probably THE influence for progressive-metal, they influenced SO many of today's prog-metallers... And, anyway, looking at their work and the time in music history, their music is prog-metal by its own merits, even if they hadn't influenced anybody!

If you're going to stone me, please, try to aim for the middle area.... Big%20smile

That's the point, T. For the same reason I would remove also the Iron Maiden (and I like them, and know that they play a complex and epic kind of music): if you accept them as "prog related" and would welcome Metallica, you open the way to any advantgarde/complex/epic metal band: Celtic Frost's dark obsessions, Mercyful Fate's complex textures and rythm shifts, King Diamond's neo-gothic concept albums, Manowar's epics... You're right: this would become a metal site. Therefore, weren't it better if we keep this site as it is?
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:46

Metallica?.....in suggest new bands?

...well at least this makes a change from some of those obscure european bands with un-pronouncable names, god bless 'em...

shall i pass this one up to Jody, then...?Wink

or will they join Black Sabbath on the "rejected" list?

Edited by mystic fred - May 16 2007 at 14:51
Prog Archives Tour Van
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Stop! Stop, will you?!

Stop that! Stop it! Now, look! No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle!

Do you understand?!

Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if he did say 'Metallica'.

*throws stone*

*it hits the wall of irrationality and gets back to the legendary poster, hits him in the head and causes him to fall down, lose conciousness, and, un-able to poast for days and days, his record goes down the drain, now merely a memory, this once master-poster*...Big%20smile

and all of this for not agreeing to the most evident of truths: Metallica deserves a spot.

Edited by The T - May 16 2007 at 14:43
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:34
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Stop! Stop, will you?!

Stop that! Stop it! Now, look! No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle!

Do you understand?!

Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if he did say 'Metallica'.

*throws stone*
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 14:13
I was hearing MASTER OF PUPPETS yesterday... Mi views were totally confirmed.

battery - melodic thrash with a very very intricate, complex riff

masterof pupptes - need I say more? Length,, riffing, structure, melody

the thing that should not be - in the thrash world, such a HEAVY riff and song as this was new. This is one of the most pure HEAVY songs ever.

Sanitarium - structure, length, even tempo changes

Disposable heroes - such an underrated track. the riff is incredible, the dynamics, the change in speed, even some odd time signatures, that song BRED Death, DT and many more. Nobody pays attention to it. It amazed me yesterday.

Leper Messiah - well, this one sucks.....Big%20smile

Orion -need I say more? An 8 minute instrumental with quite a great, GREAT intro, how the bass is slowly joined by the drums and then THE monster riff, then the solos...PLEASE.... EVEN MASTER PETRUCCI wouldn't exist without this.

Damage Inc - the other flawed song, but NOT straight-forward thrash.

And don't get me started in And Justice for All (tomorrow I'll know better)

And I don't agree with the Black album not being progressive... Actually, in a weird way, it's the logical conclusion of all the progression of Metallica since Kill 'Em All, but achieving total conciseness.... All the riffs reduced to their perfect expression, all the multi-sections and dynamic changes reduced to their most punching, effective strength. Sorry, the BLACK album is thrash metal being de-thrashed and "proggesized" into a new, almost perfect in its effect, form of METAL.

Of course, if we talk about St. Anger....DeadLOL

As Cert1fied said, most of the negative answers have been : "NO", "Dead", "They suck"... the MUSICAL answers? Those that favor the YES.

Because, musically, there's no question about it.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 06:36
I haven't read all the posts here, but its a big YES!!! from me.

Edited by Snow Dog - May 16 2007 at 06:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 05:42
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ maybe you simply don't like the colors that Metallica introduced ... 

Yes, perhaps so. They did progress, there's no doubt about it, especially as they matured.. but they didn't seem to have the cleverness and unique linear qualities Maiden had. maybe I'm just Anglocentric when it come to my metal.

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 05:38
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Metallica belong here - I've been saying this since I joined, and it's good to see that people who have actually thought about this rationally agree.

/edit: And when talking about bands at the root of Prog Metal, don't forget Judas Priest or the Scorpions - I'm not arguing for the inclusion of either, but both are at least as - if not more - significant than Iron Maiden.

I agree with you, Certif1ed! And also with MikeEnRegalia!
As a matter of fact the whole Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All, with their long and complex songs (with plenty of intricate time signatures) do definitely belong in the ProgMetal section!
And also many tracks from Kill 'em all! and Ride the Lightning stand out from that point of view!

As a matter of fact, anyway, they haven't done anything prog-related since ...And Justice for All, in my opinion!

I would be a little more careful about Scorpions: the first two efforts of theirs, however, do contain elements of prog rock (especially the wonderful title track from Fly to the Rainbow)
A flower?

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 05:37
^ maybe you simply don't like the colors that Metallica introduced ... 
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 05:37
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

yes, good point about Maiden's continual use of trademark patterns, it got quite tiresome, even by NOtB. And yes, Metallica's thrash-isms were, or became, breakthrough (though not very original).

As for Kirk's playing.. he has to be one of the biggest bluffers in the history of metal. True, at that time Dave and Dennis are not enormously better but, though the techniques may be simple as compared to what an Uli Roth or Randy Rhoads were capable of, their playing and innovative twin harmonies were near perfect with *no* bluffing, just polished musicians after years of gigging.

With all respect, the twin harmonies had to be better, or people would notice. Thin Lizzy did it better Wink

And I don't think that Kirk's solos are bluff - they're carefully put together from the various technical bits and pieces he got from his studies with Joe Satriani. granted, they're not perfect compositions, but they stand out a mile from many metal guitarists at the time - obviously you can't really compare him to Rhoads or Roth - but there's more than a nod or wink to Schenker.

I can't see why you don't appreciate Metallica's thrash-isms (as you put it) to be original - they're far more varied and inventive than Priest or Metal Church, and more coherent than Megadeth or Exodus (even if Mustaine did write half of them on "Kill 'Em All).

Edited by Certif1ed - May 16 2007 at 08:15
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 05:26
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

you should definitely listen to Master of Puppets and Justice before comparing Metallica to any other band.

I've listened to both. And yes, Puppets is an epic (and Justice kicks ass), I just can't get past the artistry and new colors Maiden brought to the rock scene, and I don't usually hear that in Metallica.. maybe that's just me.

Edited by Atavachron - May 16 2007 at 05:30
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 05:19
In spite of their, errm, unusual attraction to sheep and goats, Metallica rock. I agree with Mike that Master of Puppets is an epic.
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 05:17
^ with all due respect to a fellow collaborator, but you should definitely listen to Master of Puppets and Justice before comparing Metallica to any other band.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 04:55
yes, good point about Maiden's continual use of trademark patterns, it got quite tiresome, even by NOtB. And yes, Metallica's thrash-isms were, or became, breakthrough (though not very original).

As for Kirk's playing.. he has to be one of the biggest bluffers in the history of metal. True, at that time Dave and Dennis are not enormously better but, though the techniques may be simple as compared to what an Uli Roth or Randy Rhoads were capable of, their playing and innovative twin harmonies were near perfect with *no* bluffing, just polished musicians after years of gigging.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 04:37
I know they're not the best examples - Metallica live videos almost always suck in comparison to a) the albums and b) the experience of being there.

There's no evidence of superior musicality in Iron Maiden though - and as far as complexity is concerned, sure, there's a quiet passage in the Maiden track, but there's at least equal variety in the Metallica song - one thing I've always disliked about Maiden is their tendency to use exactly the same rhythms all the time - something they have never stopped doing, as it is integral to their sound: Once you've heard one Maiden album you've heard the lot from that perspective.

Also, are you telling me that Kirk Hammett doesn't pwn Maiden with his soloing in that clip? He doesn't use excessive effects to hide the bum notes and bluff (they're all there, but harder to spot because there are less of them!).

Another excuse to post more Maiden and Metallica - Yay!!!

Metal Militia (warning, James' vocals suck more than usual... and spot the allusion to Maiden at 4:30)

(this really proves we're comparing chalk and cheese, but as to which is white and crumbly and which cheesey, that's for you to decide... Tongue).

The point is that Metallica's thrash style is more innovative and influential than Iron Maiden's distinctive rhythmic variants on the old metal theme - thrash as a style is a direct root of Prog Metal, and can be heard easily in Dream Theater (not to mention specific Metallica riffs Wink).

Edited by Certif1ed - May 16 2007 at 04:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 04:18
Hey Certife1d, you're great, I really respect your tenacity and understanding.. and what great footage! I'd forgotten M opened for Raven ("Kill`em All For One Tour" Thanks.. though I think those videos only prove my point, but no worries.. if Metallica make it on to PA, good for them, I say.

Edited by Atavachron - May 16 2007 at 04:18
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 04:09
No - it doesn't contain more complexity or musicality than Kill 'Em All (which is demostrable, BTW) - but you're right about the pseudo classical passages.

However, Metallica didn't just have one single rhythmic approach.

(Phantom of the Opera - remember, Maiden had been gigging for many years, as pointed out and built up a solidity in their sound and confidence with the material)

(No Remorse - remember, as also pointed out, Metallica hadn't been gigging long -  Perhaps not the best example, but reasonable for comparison if you can stick with it!)

Edited by Certif1ed - May 16 2007 at 04:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 03:50
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

No - not true.

I cannot think of a single example that would prove this - can you?

Sure, the first Maiden album ..it contains more complexity, musicality, and what could be thought of a pseudo-classical passages. This is not evident on 'Kill`em All.

Edited by Atavachron - May 16 2007 at 03:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>