Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQUEEN on progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 08:43
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

Ok, for the LAST AND FINAL TIME [...]

Please stop being dramatic then. I won't read long texts in capitals or bold letters.

Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 08:46
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Please stop being dramatic then. I won't read long texts in capitals or bold letters.

HAHAHAHAHA...........then don't!!!!

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 08:48

HAHAHAHAHA...........then don't!!!!

I was able to read that - looks much better.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 08:52

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

YOU ARE YELLING!!!!!!!

No I am not....and in some vain attempt to make me feel horrbile..you guys are being hypocrites (Who is yelling now??).....awww.....my whole day is ruined now....because some jerks on a site don't like what I'm saying....I better go kill myself.....HAHA.....seriously people...get over yourselves!!

No I think you need to get over YOURself. Its you who is crying for attention!

CrazyDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 09:07
Originally posted by <SPAN =bold>Proglover</SPAN>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=95% align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =bold></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<P> Proglover

wrote:

...in fact there is nothing disgusting about Queen's inclusion.....

You didn't understand our feelings.

Originally posted by <SPAN =bold>Proglover</SPAN> Proglover wrote:

Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, Genesis....are NOT progressive bands, but wrote progressive music.....that is my point!

No, in fact they are all Boy Bands, excuse me if I didn't recognize them.

because some jerks on a site don't like what I'm saying....I better go kill myself

maani, lots of us feel the same because of this inclusion, that has damaged the CREDIBILITY of this beautiful website. 

___BYE___

Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 16:54
Originally posted by CrazyDiamond CrazyDiamond wrote:

Originally posted by <SPAN =bold>Proglover</SPAN> 
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=95% align=center><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =bold></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
<P> Proglover

wrote:

...in fact there is nothing disgusting about Queen's inclusion.....

You didn't understand our feelings.

Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, Genesis....are NOT progressive bands, but wrote progressive music.....that is my point!

No, in fact they are all Boy Bands, excuse me if I didn't recognize them.

because some jerks on a site don't like what I'm saying....I better go kill myself

maani, lots of us feel the same because of this inclusion, that has damaged the CREDIBILITY of this beautiful website. 

___BYE___

Your responses don't surprise me and neither do they effect me......I know full well that there are alot of people on this site who do not like me.....and I don't care.....so keep it up boys.....insult me, hate me, make fun of me, ...blah blah blah......I shall take it, cause I know that who I am is in no way a reflection of what you think of me......

Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:01

Originally posted by James Hill James Hill wrote:

I love Queen.They are part of my youth but I think we are reaching to call them prog.Led Zeppilin also has symphonic parts like Queen but I wouldnt call them prog either.This also applies to Uriah Heep or Deep Purple.Just because they dabble dosnt make them prog.

That's my point..............QUEEN IS NOT a progressive band.......BUT.....they wrote progressive MUSIC.....

Likewise....Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, Genesis....are NOT progressive bands, but wrote progressive music.....that is my point!

Yes they are!

You're not understanding my arguement.........there's no reason arguing because anything I say you guys are going to trash anyway...so moving on!

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:07

Proglover, that point is senseless and totally irrelevant. It's like you're saying that the musicians themselves didn't write their music, it just appeared on their records! Of course the bands are progressive, the musicians write the music, without the musicians there wouldn't be no music.

Sorry I don't mean to trash you or your views, it's nothing personal, but that's how I see it!

Edited by Logos
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:09

I love Queen.They are part of my youth but I think we are reaching to call them prog.Led Zeppilin also has symphonic parts like Queen but I wouldnt call them prog either.This also applies to Uriah Heep or Deep Purple.Just because they dabble dosnt make them prog.

That's my point..............QUEEN IS NOT a progressive band.......BUT.....they wrote progressive MUSIC.....

Likewise....Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, Genesis....are NOT progressive bands, but wrote progressive music.....that is my point!

Yes they are!

You're not understanding my arguement.........there's no reason arguing because anything I say you guys are going to trash anyway...so moving on!

Your list just seems a little odd - I agree on every band except Gentle Giant and King Crimson. I'm not aware of extended non-prog phases of these bands ... but I'm not an expert on them.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:13
Proglover you suggested earlier that anyone that doesn't agree with the inclusion of Queen is 'narrow minded'.I have a problem with that way of thinking.We are having a debate about the inclusion of Queen.Some of us need to express our feelings about this especially as it as come as a shock after all these years to discover that they are now 'prog'...supposedly.You are only adding fuel to the fire.Bearing in mind that you have already got your way and Queen are now included,what have you got to grumble about anyway?
Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:23

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Proglover you suggested earlier that anyone that doesn't agree with the inclusion of Queen is 'narrow minded'.I have a problem with that way of thinking.We are having a debate about the inclusion of Queen.Some of us need to express our feelings about this especially as it as come as a shock after all these years to discover that they are now 'prog'...supposedly.You are only adding fuel to the fire.Bearing in mind that you have already got your way and Queen are now included,what have you got to grumble about anyway?

If you don't agree that Queen should not be here....then you HAVE EVERY RIGHT to that opinion.....that's not why I have the problem....However what I find offensive, is HOW people are reacting to their inclusion....believing that Queen is not prog is FINE...... however, acting as if they just killed your mother, is overreacting......saying that the site loses credibility is offensive to me......saying that Queen disgraces the site hurts me, and is downright offensive.....opinion or not..

Like I said....if you believe that Queen is not prog, that's ok...you have that right....but all of these strong, angry, reactions are very disturbing to me.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:32
Queen are rock legends for sure,just not 'prog rock' legends IMO.I think you are being over sensitive to be honest and projecting it onto other peoples views.No one is sl*gging off Queen as far as I can see (unless I missed that post..I don't read everything!)
Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:32

Yes they are!

Your list just seems a little odd - I agree on every band except Gentle Giant and King Crimson. I'm not aware of extended non-prog phases of these bands ... but I'm not an expert on them.

My point is music is music.....and we are behaving like dinosaurs.....we are still kneeling at a shrine (in our own glass bubbles), while many of those who started the genre have moved on.......prog rock was somthing they DID, but that's not all they ARE.....I don't like catogorization, and labeling....I think it's destructive and unproductive.

Robert Fripp HATES the term progressive to describe his music.....Fripp will tell you that he IS NOT progressive. Gentle Giant gave up being progressive and began doing commercial music....one of the members said...:I don't know if pressure to change the band's direction came from outside or within the band"........these bands choose to disregard prog rock....that is my point....these are bands who at one time wrote prog music and then MOVED ON.....it is wrong to keep these bands in boxes...and then it is a slap in the face when we behave like we've been stabbed in the back when they change styles......the Artist owes you nothing....and that is truth. Music is the over arching focus.......you can deny and deny and deny all you want.....BUT Queen did write progressive music.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:35
If we didn't have the label of 'progressive rock' then this site would have no point! Do we really want it to be a general pop/rock site? If so then carry on letting bands in like Queen,Deep Purple,Black Sabbath etc in.When that happens then this site will cease to be unique or interesting as far as I'm concerned.
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:36
Well if Maani thinks Queen shouldn't be here then I change my mind. They should.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:45

If we didn't have the label of 'progressive rock' then this site would have no point! Do we really want it to be a general pop/rock site? If so then carry on letting bands in like Queen,Deep Purple,Black Sabbath etc in.When that happens then this site will cease to be unique or interesting as far as I'm concerned.

who mentioned deep purple or black Sabbath, or etc. (don't know that last band, or is it an abreviation of Cetera from chicago). The added band is called Queen, which has no relation to either Black sabbath or Chicago, The fact that Queen was a progressive rock band in their early days (according to some) doesn't mean that Britney Spears or Engelbert humperdick are progressive.

The statement is Queen is prog, there's no mention of David Bowie, Beatles, 10CC, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson or whoever in my posts concerning the IMO overly progressive nature of Queens early years. (and some faint progressive moments on later albums).

The funny thing is (IMO) it's those people opposed to Queens inclusion, will only accept Queen if a complete new genre is introduced which would provide access to mentioned bands

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:51
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

who mentioned deep purple or black Sabbath, or etc. (don't know that last band, or is it an abreviation of Cetera from chicago). The added band is called Queen, which has no relation to either Black sabbath or Chicago, The fact that Queen was a progressive rock band in their early days (according to some) doesn't mean that Britney Spears or Engelbert humperdick are progressive.

The statement is Queen is prog, there's no mention of David Bowie, Beatles, 10CC, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson or whoever in my posts concerning the IMO overly progressive nature of Queens early years. (and some faint progressive moments on later albums).

The funny thing is (IMO) it's those people opposed to Queens inclusion, will only accept Queen if a complete new genre is introduced which would provide access to mentioned bands

Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were prog bands in their early days.But they are widely regarded now as 'Heavy Rock' or 'Heavy Metal'.Queen was no ordinary band so discussion about whether they are prog is perfectly valid.Also the inclusion of Queen means that many pop rock legends are next in line.We could be having exactly the same discussion about Purple or Sabbath quite soon I suspect.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 17:58

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were prog bands in their early days.But they are widely regarded now as 'Heavy Rock' or 'Heavy Metal'.Queen was no ordinary band so discussion about whether they are prog is perfectly valid.Also the inclusion of Queen means that many pop rock legends are next in line.We could be having exactly the same discussion about Purple or Sabbath quite soon I suspect.

why?

A band should be judged on it's own merits regarding progressive rock, no other band plays a role in that desicion making. of course when reviewing or talking about an album or band it is convenient to relate them to other bands and albums, but the progressiveness should come from within the band itself, and not be derived from what they did compared to other bands.

IMO Queen passes that test gloriously with their first four albums

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 18:01

The problem is that Queen were not a prog band though..they just had some prog influences..and thats all.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 18:04

1. Brighton Rock (5:08)
2. Killer Queen (2:57)
3. Tenement Funster (2:48)
4. Flick of the Wrist (3:46)
5. Lily of the Valley (1:43)
6. Now I'm Here (4:10)
7. In the Lap of the Gods (3:20)
8. Stone Cold Crazy (2:12)
9. Dear Friends (1:07)
10. Misfire (1:50)
11. Bring Back That Leroy Brown (2:13)
12. She Makes Me (Stormtrooper in Stilettoes) (4:08)
13. In the Lap of the Gods...Revisited (3:42)
1. Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...) (3:43)
2. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon (1:08)
3. I'm in Love With My Car (3:05)
4. You're My Best Friend (2:50)
5. '39 (3:25)
6. Sweet Lady (4:01)
7. Seaside Rendezvous (2:13)
8. Prophet's Song (8:17)
9. Love of My Life (3:38)
10. Good Company (3:26)
11. Bohemian Rhapsody (5:55)

Wow! Two albums chocked full of prog!!! Not!!!

What's the aural equivalent of rose-tinted glasses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>