Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis: Calling All Stations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:07
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I noticed in the credits for Calling All Stations that Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford were named as Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford. It's almost as if they didn't want to be associated with the album, in the same way as Mike Oldfield distanced himself from his inferior Heaven's Open album by naming himself Michael Oldfield on the album cover. Smile

I don't suppose too many people are going to be fooled by that. Wink

As others have said, if they hadn't brought it out under the Genesis name it would have had a better reaction. It's an ok album but it's not really Genesis.
Yes, it's more like a Ray Wilson album with two members of Genesis as his backing band. Smile

no way it's ray Wilson album. Banks and Rutherford barely let him get involved in the writing process. They picked Ray because he sounded a bit like Gabriel. And back then, Ray was in an alt-rock band Stiltskin. Totally different sound from Genesis. 

Also how do you think big egos like Mike and tony can be someone's back up band. I giggled... 

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:19
^ First of all, Ray Wilson doesn't sound anything like Peter Gabriel, and secondly, Calling All Stations doesn't sound anything like Genesis, so it's a Ray Wilson album in all but name. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:30

^ First of all, Ray Wilson doesn't sound anything like Peter Gabriel, and secondly, Calling All Stations doesn't sound anything like Genesis, so it's a Ray Wilson album in all but name. Tongue

His vocals sound a bit as Peter Gabriel's. 
Ray Wilson did not contribute much to the song-writing, how can it be a Ray Wilson album?! That's nonsense. 
Ray co-wrote three songs - Not About Us, Small Talk and There Must Be Some Other way. The rest of the songs are Banks/Rutherford. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 14:44
^ Anthony Banks and Michael Rutherford are barely even evident on the Calling All Stations album, and I wouldn't have known it was a Genesis album if it didn't say "Genesis" on the cover. Maybe they should have gone the same way as Yes with their Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album and called it a Banks Rutherford Wilson album,  but they obviously wanted to cash in on the Genesis name. Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 15:05

A friend recommended this album to me recently
?Does that friend live under a bridge?
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 21:22
Me: "You know what, I'm gonna listen to the entire album from start to finish. I'll be open-minded about this."

After listening to the album: "Cool, so I just inflicted a large amount of pain and discomfort upon myself and my day is ruined. I'm fine with this."
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 01:00
It is a decent album, not outstanding, but the one and only problem is that it has been released under the Genesis moniker.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 01:30
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

It is a decent album, not outstanding, but the one and only problem is that it has been released under the Genesis moniker.

Yes, that's it exactly! Calling All Stations is really a decent Ray Wilson album, which bears little relation to the sound of previous Genesis albums.

Ray Wilson (featuring Anthony Banks & Michael Rutherford) - It's Not About Us

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 01:34

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Yes, that's it exactly! Calling All Stations is really a decent Ray Wilson album, which bears little relation to the sound of previous Genesis albums.

Ray Wilson (featuring Anthony Banks & Michael Rutherford) - It's Not About Us

please stop with this nonsense, to use a kind word. 
Ray's contribution in songwriting to this album was minimal. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 01:48
Ray Wilson - Congo

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 01:52

Ray Wilson - Congo

you are already rude, it seems you are in your trolling mood. Thumbs Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:25
Who's "trolling" who!?? Just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't make them a "troll". Geek Wacko Confused

Aretha Franklin - Who's Zoomin' Who?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:28

Who's "trolling" who!?? Just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't make them a "troll". Geek Wacko Confused

it's not even disagreeing, you wrote something that is totally wrong. I get it, jokingly, a few times, does not make it funnier, it feels like you want to annoy me or something. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:10
^ All I'm saying is Calling All Stations shouldn't have been released as a Genesis album. It should have been released as a Ray Wilson album, or a Wilson, Banks & Rutherford album, or whatever. Anything but calling it a Genesis album, when it doesn't sound even remotely like Genesis. Stern Smile Disapprove Wacko

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 09 2020 at 04:11
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:16

^ All I'm saying is Calling All Stations shouldn't have been released as a Genesis album. It should have been released as a Ray Wilson album, or a Wilson, Banks & Rutherford album, or whatever. Anything but calling it a Genesis album, when it doesn't sound even remotely like Genesis. Stern Smile Disapprove Wacko

no, you are not saying it shouldn't have been released as a Genesis album, you are saying, repeatedly it's Ray Wlson album which - FACT- it was not. It's not even funny anymore. You put Wilson ahead of Banks and Rutherford, I wonder how many times facts need to be presented to you. Then you are surprised I think you are trolling?! 

Ray being part of Genesis hurt his career more than helped him. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:21
The thing is, Banks and Rutherford had a hard act to follow as Collins was such an identifiable and charismatic singer. Perhaps they should have went whole hog and got a female like Annie Haslam to do the vocals. LOL  Regardless, the results would have been the same. The singer would just not be Phil and the album would never get a fair chance. Perhaps Banks and Rutherford should have just hung it up when Phil left and saved themselves the trouble.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The thing is, Banks and Rutherford had a hard act to follow as Collins was such an identifiable and charismatic singer. Perhaps they should have went whole hog and got a female like Annie Haslam to do the vocals. LOL  Regardless, the results would have been the same. The singer would just not be Phil and the album would never get a fair chance. Perhaps Banks and Rutherford should have just hung it up when Phil left and saved themselves the trouble.

Wow! Annie Haslam & Genesis. Now that really WOULD be an album worth hearing. After all, who could forget Annie Haslam's awesome version of Ripples, which sounds even better than the original version to my ears. Thumbs Up
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:47

[QUOTE=SteveG] 
 After all, who could forget Annie Haslam's awesome version of Ripples, which sounds even better than the original version to my ears. Thumbs Up

you might have to check your ears... Evil Smile LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

[QUOTE=SteveG] 
 After all, who could forget Annie Haslam's awesome version of Ripples, which sounds even better than the original version to my ears. Thumbs Up

No, it's simply that I'm a much bigger fan of Annie Haslam than Phil Collins. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 04:52

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

[QUOTE=SteveG] 

No, it's simply that I'm a much bigger fan of Annie Haslam than Phil Collins. Tongue

that's a totally different thing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>