Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PA's Battle to Stardom A1: Marillion v. Mahavishnu
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA's Battle to Stardom A1: Marillion v. Mahavishnu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [50.00%]
30 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

I cant vote since I HAVE NOT HEARD both bands full output.Hope ELP wins this contest

ELP is making a comeback. Wink

So Emerson and Lake have gotten together and made nice with each other?
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 14:30
As a better band, exploring new grounds, better musicians, etc, Mahavishnu easily, but it's a preference poll, then Marillion does it for me.

B-Sides Themselves, Script, Fugazi and Misplaced Childhood are all essential Neo Prog stuff.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 16:11
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I cant vote since I HAVE NOT HEARD both bands full output.Hope ELP wins this contest

That'd be awesome. Though we'd probably have to expect another "Black Moon" at best. LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 16:20

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

One blew me away; the other is okay.  Mahavishnu Orchestra for me.  They hardly compare, really.  I actually grew to like Marillion rather more, but it never had the effect on me that MO did.  They are so different -- one is more melodic rock, the other is something very different.

I have a suggestion for these polls since there are only two bands to choose from (especially worthwhile when one gets into the lesser-known bands). Provide links to music samples for those who don't know both or either, and make it a condition that people only vote after familiarising themselves with both (so people can vote based on the links to music).  I don't know how others feel, but the best thing about polls for me is discovering new to me music.  And a different poll question, rather than favourite, this time round might be interesting since otherwise it's, well, trodding the same kind of territory, and might elicit more thoughtful responses, as well as demand a certain level of familiarity with the music.  For instance: Which of these bands do you feel progressed rock more/ is more progressive? Maybe not that question for apples and oranges ones....

So here's a MO myspace page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=53939978

And here's Marillion's official myspace site: http://www.myspace.com/marillion">http://www.myspace.com/marillion

Some youtube live videos (often feel that "live" performance are a great way to judge a band).

An MO one: YouTube - Mahavishnu Orchestra: One Word
Marillion: YouTube - Marillion : Neverland (Live)

Thanks for the reply, Logan. I anticipated that you'd reply to this thread. Wink

The link to band pages is a very good idea. I'll definitely at least link to the PA pages so that if someone is unfamiliar with a band they can just click the link and at least retrieve some information as quickly as possible.

Your question change is definitely a good thought as well... but since I selected 32 bands and randomly hooked them up this time (rather than spending time to rank them), I think the polls end up being much more of "apples vs. oranges"... It would make a question of "progressiveness" extremely hard to answer most of the time. I'm going to stick with the "prefer" question, but this certainly has sparked ideas for further non-related polls of mine in the future (not in tournament style).

I extremely appreciated your thoughts about half a year ago and this is no exception. Thumbs%20Up

Thanks; I appreciate your polls, and that you encourage and engage people on points that they raise. ClapClap Favourite is best for these since these are apples and oranges, and because of the nature of the tournament..  And I like apples and oranges polls, especially because it can bring together people with diverse musical tastes.  You have unusually eclectic tastes, something I can't but help respect about you (willing to not only try everything, but the musical ability and maturity to be able to appreciate so many different kinds of music).  Such people are a real credit to the site. 

I have found in polls I've started where I've tried to include music samples that many voters did not bother to familairise themselves with the music before voting even though requested to do so (and the problem with questions other than favourite is that many vote without reading the question -- have had some fun with that in the past, and been slightly disheartened at other times -- for deeper questions perhaps the poll isteslf can be too much of a  distraction when it comes to the discussion sometimes).
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 16:37

Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

That'd be awesome. Though we'd probably have to expect another "Black Moon" at best. LOL

No , but you have a new KEITH EMERSON BAND that just came out....was a link on some PA forum last week, just can't find it now..of courseLOL..
Try your luck as the samples sound...........GREAT!!, believe me....old ELP, not Black moon!
Let me knowWink
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 04:08
Marillion for me.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 06:12
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

No , but you have a new KEITH EMERSON BAND that just came out....was a link on some PA forum last week, just can't find it now..of courseLOL..
Try your luck as the samples sound...........GREAT!!, believe me....old ELP, not Black moon!

Here is the link to Keith's website: http://www.keithemerson.com
Saw Keith Emerson Band live last week and it was incredible! Almost 3 hours of music - best of ELP and some pieces from new album, extremely powerful. Very good singer, Marc Bonilla's voice is a little higher-toned than Lake's, but fits well to ELP music. Huge set of keyboards, including Keith famous modular Moog. Mindblowing!

Set-list:
Intro – Ignition
1st Presence
Welcome Back
Piano Concerto
Bitches Crystal
Malambo
Touch & Go
Lucky Man
Miles Away 1+2
Crusaders Cross
Fugue
Marche Train
Finale
The Barbarian
Prelude to a Hope
From the Beginning
Hoedown
Tarkus (more than 30 minutes version)
Encore:
Fanfare
Nutrocker

New album is already released in Japan, in September - October it will be released in Europe and USA

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 08:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Thanks; I appreciate your polls, and that you encourage and engage people on points that they raise. ClapClap Favourite is best for these since these are apples and oranges, and because of the nature of the tournament..  And I like apples and oranges polls, especially because it can bring together people with diverse musical tastes.  You have unusually eclectic tastes, something I can't but help respect about you (willing to not only try everything, but the musical ability and maturity to be able to appreciate so many different kinds of music).  Such people are a real credit to the site. 

Thanks. Embarrassed

It has taken a few years for me to develop that, however. When I first saw this site like 3 or 4 years ago, I mainly only liked Rush and Symphonic Prog. My tastes have developed to the point now where I like pretty every sub-genre a decent amount (Post-rock is my least favorite).
Persistence is the key with some bands/genres until you realize that they have just as much an intriguing artistic sound as an artist you really like, except in a completely different way.

The only bad thing about liking nearly all of the music I've heard from the site is that it makes my "to hear" list incredibly long. LOL

I have found in polls I've started where I've tried to include music samples that many voters did not bother to familairise themselves with the music before voting even though requested to do so (and the problem with questions other than favourite is that many vote without reading the question -- have had some fun with that in the past, and been slightly disheartened at other times -- for deeper questions perhaps the poll isteslf can be too much of a  distraction when it comes to the discussion sometimes).

Yeah, I agree entirely.

Sometimes if the discussion is quite deep it almost might be better to simply hold an open-response thread for it in the Prog Lounge since it's really easy to simply click a poll, see your favorite immediately, click it, and move on. I've done it myself. Tongue

That's why I've designed this tournament though: to invoke discussion about all of the bands, hopefully get people to hear or try some bands that they've never heard or only given one chance a long time ago, and lastly, of course, to have some fun. I'm hoping these attract many responses so that we can really find out the prog taste of a general population here at PA; the results for this could turn out to be very interesting.

For instance, I expected even the bigger names to come up with different results when it came to the Ultimate Prog Tournament. The fact that Camel was ahead of Genesis for 4 days before Genesis finally took the lead to go on alone was absolutely amazing and extremely far from my expectations. I initially thought that Genesis would win the whole thing. It simply shows the actual preference of people around here... and sometimes it's not near as expressed as it should be.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 08:38
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Here is the link to Keith's website: http://www.keithemerson.com
Saw Keith Emerson Band live last week and it was incredible! Almost 3 hours of music - best of ELP and some pieces from new album, extremely powerful. Very good singer, Marc Bonilla's voice is a little higher-toned than Lake's, but fits well to ELP music. Huge set of keyboards, including Keith famous modular Moog. Mindblowing!

Set-list:
Intro – Ignition
1st Presence
Welcome Back
Piano Concerto
Bitches Crystal
Malambo
Touch & Go
Lucky Man
Miles Away 1+2
Crusaders Cross
Fugue
Marche Train
Finale
The Barbarian
Prelude to a Hope
From the Beginning
Hoedown
Tarkus (more than 30 minutes version)
Encore:
Fanfare
Nutrocker

New album is already released in Japan, in September - October it will be released in Europe and USA

Wow. Shocked

I'll definitely have to check that out. I wasn't aware that he was working with anything like that. Splendid. Clap

*adds to increasingly infinite list* ConfusedLOL
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 11:09
often in these polls when there is atleast some link people will still say apples and oranges , what I find interesting is that few have said that to this poll and its never been so applicable ?  Geek
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 11:43
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

often in these polls when there is atleast some link people will still say apples and oranges , what I find interesting is that few have said that to this poll and its never been so applicable ?  Geek

That's what the explanation in the first post is for. Wink
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 11:52
Yes, great poll,Movingpictures................but the damn MARILLOn is winning so farEvil%20SmileLOLLOL

Can't believe Maclaughlin and Billy Cobham beaten by.......Marrillon!!!!ShockedLOL

What's the world comeWacko into????LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 11:58

Yes, great poll,Movingpictures................but the damn MARILLOn is winning so farEvil%20SmileLOLLOL

Can't believe Maclaughlin and Billy Cobham beaten by.......Marrillon!!!!ShockedLOL

What's the world comeWacko into????LOL

Haha, I get extremely into these polls myself and they're so much fun (yet can also drive you crazy). Back in January I was always checking and I was like, "NOOO CAMEL IS AHEAD OF MAGMA!! I WILL KILL THEM ALL!!1 AngryAngryAngry"

LOLLOL

I love both Marillion and Mahavishnu, but when push comes to shove I'll choose Marillion. *hides behind Fish* EmbarrassedOuchLOL
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 18:58
^I picked based on the fact that Marillion are the best Neo prog band going, where as their are better bands than Mahavishnu Orchestra in Fusion, IMO.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 22:58
The great Maha. Orchest. OF COURSE. Marillion can't hold a candle or even a small cup to them.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 00:54
Mahavishnu Orchestra probably cos I never liked Marillion... or any Neo-Prog for that matter lol.
33rpm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 01:42
The Mahavishnu Orchestra by far.
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 19:18
Mahavishnu, they have all the potential to easy steamroller Marillion!

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 19:43
Tough because MO was a tremendous musical experience but could not sustain itself (egos?) while Marillion had a long storied carreer with only one "fishy" change . I guess I am clutching at straws!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 19:48
I love Fusion, but Mahavishnu went too far for me, my vote is for Fish's Marillion.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>