Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScorpions for Krautrock or prog related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:04
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Sorry to contradict you, but if you don't like an album, you have the right not to buy it - just as the musicians have the right to play whatever music they see fit. I may dislike commercial music, but let's be honest for once - playing 'for the money' is certainly not the same as peddling drugs or weapons, or trafficking in human beings. 
Of course!Don't worry,I always buy cd's I will be able to enjoy.Moreover music is my main passion and when I think about commercial music I sometimes lose my temper.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:22
@Fusionfreak: I saw the documentary you talked about and it was made clear by the commentary that Scorpions weren't part of the "Kraut-rock" movement. They were included just to show that SOME of the German bands of the 70's managed to encounter and keep commercial success.
Nothing more.

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:31
So, the debate comes down to "started out with prog aspects (Lonesome Crow), Fly to the Rainbow has Suite length and structured song (Title song), include the fact that until Roth's departure, each album featured one or a few acoustic tunes that could be compared in style and setting to those found on Uriah Heep's first few releases (come away melinda).
Krautrock is a no-brainer. The Scorps were never that "pure" in their sound, ever. Heavy Prog might be a stretch, but should their validity here be based on the first 1/3 of their releases, or do we condemn them for their more radio friendly stylings on later albums. Although, if you listen to the song Animal Magnetism from that same album, that aspect of their music was part of their sound until the halfway point of their collection.
Prog Related is a good fit because Yes, they do have much in their music that would be of interest to prog fans. Not all prog fans. But then most if not all PR bands can't claim that either.
Forget "Still Loving You". Kansas was not judged based on "Play The Game". Miles Davis was not included becaude of "the Birth of Cool".
If you want to present a valid arguement against, you must know what music was on Lonesome Crow. At the very least, some the next 3-4 if you want to be fair.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:53
Originally posted by fusionfreak fusionfreak wrote:

I know Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker are gifted musicians.Moreover I like Scorpions first three albums.It's just that I don't like when people who can make good music decide to play songs only for the money and it was the case in this children TV program.Moreover I'm not sure that musicians always respect their audiences.To conclude I think that going to concerts and buying cds is a proof of respect!

As far as I am concerned calling their music "bullsh*t" sounds disrespectful, no matter how many albums you own ... but I'm well aware that many other users don't mind swearing and calling artists names as much as I do.

BTW: I know that song very well ... personally I think that it's one of the best songs *ever*. It's simply very well crafted, and especially the vocals/guitar leads and the rhythm guitar arrangements are amazing. I honestly don't know a better metal ballad. I know that many people will find it "kitschy" and way over the top, but IMO that has nothing to do with how good it is objectively, from a musician's point of view. I also don't mind when artists try to please their listeners or to increase their album sales ... as long as the music is great. I honestly see no big difference to the other extreme, when bands try to be "non-conformist" at any cost.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 13:05
Blackout!!! Blackout!!!!      i really have a Blackout!!

Smile

Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2009 at 14:22
Krautrock, no way! Even if their debut was influenced by Kraut, their later career is anything but prog...
listen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2009 at 15:11
Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

Krautrock, no way! Even if their debut was influenced by Kraut, their later career is anything but prog...

But we're not assessing them based on their later work, now are we? Genesis wasn't included based on their 80's pop.

Now is all there is. Be before you think!
AlexUC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 09:21
Helloween for Krautrock? They're german too... that should be enough

No, seriously, I've seen the material, I don't think they intended to sound progressive at all... That's my useless opinion. It's curious, but I still can't understand what's the purpose of expanding that 'prog related' subgenre with over-known artists, I mean, that's just a bunch of disconnected artists IMHO, so what's the use of expanding that genre? And do you think anybody needs to 'know' Scorpios? Well, this is just the opinion of an outsider...
This is not my beautiful house...
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 09:28
Originally posted by AlexUC AlexUC wrote:

Helloween for Krautrock? They're german too... that should be enough

No, seriously, I've seen the material, I don't think they intended to sound progressive at all... That's my useless opinion. It's curious, but I still can't understand what's the purpose of expanding that 'prog related' subgenre with over-known artists, I mean, that's just a bunch of disconnected artists IMHO, so what's the use of expanding that genre? And do you think anybody needs to 'know' Scorpios? Well, this is just the opinion of an outsider...

You know, even if I've always been a supporter of PR, now I have to agree with you. Unfortunately, my attempts to raise awareness of the problem in the CZ fell flat as usual. Prog Related, as it is now, is not really useful or productive, and I for one have decided to refuse to submit any bands rejected by Heavy Prog for inclusion in PR. I think a different approach would be necessary when dealing artists who have released one or two progressive albums in the space of an un-prog career... Unfortunately, this is not my site, and I am not really keen on beating my head against the wall any longer.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:02
Speaking in more general terms ( I donīt know enough about The Scorpions to say if my below opinion aplies to them) about Prog-related I have the opinion that even if a band that have released thirty albums that are non-prog and only one that qualifies as prog-related they should be on PA. Itīs important to document that one album. As long as itīs made very clear in the "Why is this artist included in PA" section of the bio why the artist was included.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:09
ROTFLMAO

seriously.LOL

@Raff: I hope you find a way to take this easier ... Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:13
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

ROTFLMAO

seriously.LOL

@Raff: I hope you find a way to take this easier ... Smile

Thanks!Smile Unfortunately, I am afraid I'm too old to change my waysWinkLOL....
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:19
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Speaking in more general terms ( I donīt know enough about The Scorpions to say if my below opinion aplies to them) about Prog-related I have the opinion that even if a band that have released thirty albums that are non-prog and only one that qualifies as prog-related they should be on PA.

With all due respect, NO FREAKING WAY.  It's bad enough we have to do this with an artist with one prog album and a whole bunch of non-prog in the discog.  If an artist has virtually an entire catalog that has nothing to do with prog but one finds a single album that is sorta maybe a little bit related to prog, then sorry, they don't make the cut.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:26
It should be a case to case evaluation as it is today.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:40
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Speaking in more general terms ( I donīt know enough about The Scorpions to say if my below opinion aplies to them) about Prog-related I have the opinion that even if a band that have released thirty albums that are non-prog and only one that qualifies as prog-related they should be on PA.

With all due respect, NO FREAKING WAY.  It's bad enough we have to do this with an artist with one prog album and a whole bunch of non-prog in the discog.  If an artist has virtually an entire catalog that has nothing to do with prog but one finds a single album that is sorta maybe a little bit related to prog, then sorry, they don't make the cut.

Agreed. As much as many users here resent the "if X is here then Y must be added too" rule ... it's valid. If you add one artist that is only vaguely related to prog on one album of many, then for consistency alone you'll have to add all other artists which meet the same requirements. I think the solution must be that *if* such artists are added, they must be of special importance from a prog standpoint. I don't see this type of relevance for Scorpions ... nor for Helloween.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:41
I trust the admin team makes the right cuts. The filter that means that only special collabs can suggest artists to the admin team for prog-related is pretty efficient IMO. This means that a lot of thought has been put into the proces of adding a prog-related artist to the archives. Itīs not all additions I agree with, but you win some and you lose some. We are all victims to subjective opinions and no matter how much you try to be objective when evaluating an artist lots of factors will have effect on your decision. As it is today the prog-related suggestions go through two filters and I think that should provide enough safety that the right bands are added to PA. As Raff said she refuse to submit any bands rejected by Heavy Prog for inclusion in PR and thatīs filter enough for me. Personally I think itīs a bit hard and I hope there are a few exceptions but generally I agree with that view. We should generally respect the teams decisions and by very careful that we donīt undermine the great work of those teams. But there are exceptions IMO and thatīs what we need Prog-related for.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:51
There are reasons for our position as HP team. The lack of a clear policy is compounded by the fact that, especially in the early Seventies, there were literally OODLES of bands (mainly in the heavy psych vein) that were in some way or the other related to heavy prog. If we decided to submit one for inclusion in PR; we would probably have to add the whole lot of them - and I don't think this would be in any way productive for the site, beyond inflating a category that is much too confused as things are.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 10:55
^ perhaps you could narrow down the list to the 5 most important bands. I think this would be something that people could understand ... 
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 11:18
But are the Scorpions really just another case of "too well known, shouldn't be here for that fact" ?
I keep seeing arguements as to the lack of merit, and how this can open the floodgates to poor choices But I don't see any views from detractors that mention Lonesome Crow, nor the Uli Roth era albums. AND those are the reasons that the Scorpions are being considered for.
True, there are tons of early 70s hard rockers that had aspects of their sound that could lead to being suggested for admission here at PA.
But then, did Atomic Rooster or others face the "kinda mighta, almost were sorta prog for a bit, then went back to basics" debate ?
Check out the earlyalbums. Again, remind yourself that the Scorpions are not being rated on the album "Savage Amusement" .
This is really the point fo contention. Not whether certain popular bands some abhor should be excluded simply on the basis that they have enough fame.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 11:27
Disclaimer:  I don't know the Scorpions material at all, save for the odd handful of popular FM radio tracks some 20 years ago.

But to me it sounds like a case where they should either make it into Heavy Prog (or whatever) if their early output (the oft cited Lonesome Crow album) is deemed to be "fully" prog, or not make the cut.  As I said, it's one thing for an artist to have little prog output to be included in a prog category - if a band has a few "prog-related" (whatever that is supposed to even mean) albums amidst a catalog that's quite removed from anything prog rock, they shouldn't be here.

I have no problem saying "Prog or Bust" to a good many of these types of artists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>