FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInteresting metal bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 14:24

Originally posted by Eemu Ranta Eemu Ranta wrote:

Thanks a lot for the recommendations & links, Manunkind!

Behold... the Arctopus and Beneath the Massacre were my favourites,
hysterically insane! Lykathea Aflame had its superb moments, as had
Immolation (which was the most Cryptopsy-like).

Goratory was a bit too grindcoreish for my narrow tastes

Hey, don't mention it! Actually I was mistaken, there are some Gorguts soundclips available, but they're only 30 seconds or so. They're available either at Amazon or here  http://www.anus.com/metal/gorguts.html

"Obscura" =  and though the other albums are more generic, they're good, too

(R.I.P. Patrick Robert, Gorguts' drummer

Okay, since the first batch was such a success, time for the next one:

Martyr - http://www.welcome.to/martyr 

Necrophagist - http://www.necrophagist.de/Seiten/necrophagist_main.html (maybe you know these guys)

Capharnaum - http://www.capharnaum.org/music.html

Nefas - http://come.to/nefas (if you don't like Morbid Angel, don't be put off by the MA-style website)

Someone here already mentioned Psycroptic - http://www.psycroptic.com/sitetest/

have fun!

Edited by Manunkind
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 14:28
Originally posted by Reverie Reverie wrote:

Hooray! Fellow metal fans

While we're on the topic of 'brutal' and/or technical death metal, i'd like to suggest the following: Origin and Psycroptic. Psycroptic more technical, original more brutal (at least as brutal as Nile).

I'd also like to recommend Alarum. They're an Aussie band who have a jazz-like texture to their music. Quite the musicians really. People often compare them to Cynic, but they really don't sound like Cynic to me at all. Sure they draw inspiration from Cynic and Atheist, epsecially lyrically (which death metal needs more of), but musically they still have their own sound.

While not as heavy as these previous bands, Spastic Ink are still a great band. Quite (very) technical and fusion influenced. This is the brainchild of Watchtower guitarist Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower are another great tech metal band to check out).

Here's some other cool metal bands to check out: Spiral Architect, Ulver (the early stuff is black metal, the later stuff is electronica), Absu (phenomenal drumming on the Tara album), Ephel Duath, Strapping Young Lad, Zyklon, and Meshuggah as mentioned on another thread.

I forgot to mention Maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot - the latter being a continuation of the first. Maudlin of the well are probably the most eclectic band i've ever heard. Sometimes extremely heavy, sometimes soft, usually dark and i can only really listen to them when i'm in a certain mood. They use all kinds of instruments, from the stndard metal setup to woodwind and the like. Not easy to get a hold of though. I haven't really heard that much Kayo Dot, but from what i have heard, they sound slightly (!) less hectic than Maudlin, and probably darker still.

To me, Maudlin of the Well is the definition of progressive metal, or perhaps progressive music in general.

top-notch recommendations! 

Although the trouble with Origin is that they NEVER slow down. They're INSANELY fast, but it gets kinda repetitive after a while.

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 14:30
Originally posted by nacho nacho wrote:

Anyone here like Into Eternity? They are my last discovery in the metal scene, and I find them amazing.

They should be listed in the Archives, no doubt about that for me.

I heard the two mp3s available and while they're good, I think that Mastodon are similar and better:

http://www.mastodonrocks.com/downloads.html

http://shop.relapse.com/content/downloads.aspx

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 16:28

Meshuggah,simply brilliant.I just picked up I and the new cd Catch 33 and am stunned by how good they are,I didn't think they could top Nothing.

Have you guys heard of a band called Mnemic?They are pretty good too,I highly recommend their 2 cd's The Audio Injected Soul and Mechanical Spin Phenomena

And Into Eternity is awesome,I love their Buried in Oblivion cd

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 16:30
Oh yeah,and Mastodon are very good.Their drummer is absolutely SICK.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 17:18
Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

Originally posted by Eemu Ranta Eemu Ranta wrote:

Cryptopsy // I've recently discovered this totally insane tech-death band.
Probably the most brutal band out there, and oh-so tight live.

CRYPTOPSY!!!!!!!!

If you liked Cryptopsy you might also like the following bands:

Origin,

Sadus (maybe not, I just thought I'd throw 'em in, nothing like Cryptopsy to be honest!)

Wormed (I've yet to hear anything approaching this brutal while being even slightly techy. It's the mating bullfrog on vocals instead of the usual cookie monster, though )

Necrophagist, although you've probably heard 'em already.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 17:21
Originally posted by Reverie Reverie wrote:

Hooray! Fellow metal fans

While we're on the topic of 'brutal' and/or technical death metal, i'd like to suggest the following: Origin and Psycroptic. Psycroptic more technical, original more brutal (at least as brutal as Nile).

I'd also like to recommend Alarum. They're an Aussie band who have a jazz-like texture to their music. Quite the musicians really. People often compare them to Cynic, but they really don't sound like Cynic to me at all. Sure they draw inspiration from Cynic and Atheist, epsecially lyrically (which death metal needs more of), but musically they still have their own sound.

While not as heavy as these previous bands, Spastic Ink are still a great band. Quite (very) technical and fusion influenced. This is the brainchild of Watchtower guitarist Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower are another great tech metal band to check out).

Here's some other cool metal bands to check out: Spiral Architect, Ulver (the early stuff is black metal, the later stuff is electronica), Absu (phenomenal drumming on the Tara album), Ephel Duath, Strapping Young Lad, Zyklon, and Meshuggah as mentioned on another thread.

I forgot to mention Maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot - the latter being a continuation of the first. Maudlin of the well are probably the most eclectic band i've ever heard. Sometimes extremely heavy, sometimes soft, usually dark and i can only really listen to them when i'm in a certain mood. They use all kinds of instruments, from the stndard metal setup to woodwind and the like. Not easy to get a hold of though. I haven't really heard that much Kayo Dot, but from what i have heard, they sound slightly (!) less hectic than Maudlin, and probably darker still.

To me, Maudlin of the Well is the definition of progressive metal, or perhaps progressive music in general.

Abso-bloodly-lutely brilliant  - I don't care for Zyklon or Mastodon at all (they seemed a bit generic), or SYL or Meshuggah very much, and I really need to get hold of some more Ulver but the rest of those bands are some of my favourites in the realms of metal!

Edited by goose
Reverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 21:20

I just realized i called Origin "Original"  And yeah, you're right Manunkind, they don't really slow down, but since my love for death metal has diminished, i find that i'm liking them more, if that makes any sense. There are still a handful of death metal bands i love (mostly the ones i mentioned), and Origin seem to have made it in there. I guess it's because they are such a stark contrast to the other kind of music i listen to that i find it refreshing and fun to listen to them. I've got to say Nile are on top of the death metal throne for me though.

I'm not a fan of Mastadon either, goose, and i haven't listened to any Zyklon in a while. Strapping Young Lad i've only just learned to accept as music, but i'm still intrigued by them. Meshuggah is awesome with an after taste of slight disappointment for me.

It's cool to see people interested in the more 'interesting' metal bands around here.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 21:07

I've been in love with metal lately.  I'm generally not too crazy about cheezy "symphonic" bands like Symphony X, Rhapsody, etc (although Stratovarius is decent), and I have yet to understand the appeal of Dream Theater, but there have been some discoveries I've made lately which have really inspired me to look further into this style.  Here are most of them, with some songs I would recommend alongside them.

Tool.  I'm pretty sure we all know them, but there are few metal bands out there today with such a distinctive sound.  Aenima and Lateralus are both fantastic.  Songs to sample: Lateralus, The Patient, Third Eye.

Opeth.  Again, most of us probably know them, but Blackwater Park is what progressive metal is all about for me.  My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life and Morningrise are also greatly enjoyed though.  Songs to sample: The Drapery Falls, Black Rose Immortal, Hope Leaves.

Meshuggah.  I've been raving about them for quite awhile now, and I have not ceased to be amazed.  Unlike a band like Dream Theater who insist on flamboyantly showing off how great they are every song, Meshuggah's members (all of whom are incredible musicians) work as one brutal, flawless machine, producing some of the most complex metal ever made.  Songs to sample: I, Closed Eye Visuals, Future Breed Machine

Cynic.  Paul Masvidal and Jason Gobel may very well be the two most underrated guitarists ever to live.  The band is a stunning combination of death metal and jazz, playing unfathomably complex guitar riffs and lead parts.  Sean Malone and Sean Reinert are an incredible rhythm section as well.  Songs to sample: I'm But a Wave To..., Celestial Voyage, Textures

Death.  Don't let the name scare you off, they made some great technical metal after starting off with two albums along the exact lines of what the name would indicate.  Chuck Schuldiner was an amazing guitar player, and he worked with some outstanding musicians over the course of this band's lifespan.  If death metal vocals aren't your thing, he did one album with the band name Control Denied which features clear vocals (sadly, Control Denied only made one album before his death).  Songs to sample: Flesh and the Power It Holds, Scavenger of Human Sorrow, Zero Tolerance.

In Flames.  Okay, so I've only heard The Jester Race (and one of their EPs) so far, but it has confirmed to me that they were a great band (though supposedly their newer stuff has gone in the direction of nu-metal, sigh).  Kind of like Opeth with shorter songs and a lot more "soaring" lead guitar parts.  Songs to sample: Moonshield, The Jester Race, Acoustic Meddley.

Dimmu Borgir.  Don't dismiss them as just another black metal band, they've actually made some great (almost progressive at times) metal on albums like Purtanical Euphoric Misanthropia and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant.  The lyrics may be standard black metal anti-christian fare, but the music (which as a strong symphonic element) is absolutely stunning.  Songs to sample: Mourning Palace, Hybrid Stigmata, Kings of the Carnival Creation.

Strapping Young Lad.  Pure insanity, certainly not for the faint of heart.  Their frontman Devin Townsend's solo work would probably be more to the liking of most progheads, but those who want to hear probably the angriest music ever composed will love SYL.  Plus their drummer Gene Holgan is an absolute monster.  Songs to sample: All Hail the New Flesh, Detox, Love.

Devin Townsend.  Hey, I mentioned him above.  Surprisingly atmospheric yet clearly agressive metal, Townsend's work is really all over the place.  However, it remains undeniably progressive, and quite simply great music.  Songs to sample: Earth Day, Seventh Wave, Life.

Fantomas.  REALLY weird, but also completely psychotic and certainly appealing to those who don't mind a little bit of RIO or noise in their heavy metal.  Songs to sample: Their albums tend to be large scale conceptual works, so just get those.

I'll probably come back with more later on.  Or maybe not.

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 06:37

^ good list, (though greatly flawed by your liking Stratovarius and disliking DT)

I'd just like to stress the importance of this album here:

Now this is . Just listen to the links I provided above. Death metal meets KC meets the kitchen sink.

Edited by Manunkind
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 06:51

death metal makes me sick.

I can't get to grips with the motivation behind the music - it completely eludes me.

"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 07:04
Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

death metal makes me sick.

I can't get to grips with the motivation behind the music - it completely eludes me.

The motivation is simply to have some fun riding the musical equivalent of a prominence (a flame storm on the sun - bottom left hand corner). AND if you listen to it attentively enough, there's plenty of zen to it, believe it or not.

Anyway, death metal isn't that brutal. Ornette Coleman, Peter Brotzmann and John Coltrane's late stuff tear every death metal band to shreds.

Edited by Manunkind
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 07:08
thanks for your insight manunkind.  I think I am a little scared to approach the music!
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 07:11

thanks for your insight manunkind.  I think I am a little scared to approach the music!

Don't mention it. It's an acquired taste and unfortunately a little too conservative and generic (although not as much as one might think). Just don't read the lyrics! And don't look at the covers! Really, I like the music, but that satanic/gore stuff is funny for a while but then it simply gets stupid and disgusting.

Sir Realist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 10:16
Ministry, still.
I can have double standards, and you can't
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 10:23
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Empyrium 

when i first read the subject, this is the first band i thought of, Songs of Moors and Misty Fields is just so beautiful, Weiland is also quite good, although it is just very dark and sounds nothing like Songsof Moors...  There are three tracks in a row on Weiland that just blow me away 6,7,8 or 7,8,9 i cant remember which three exactly

edit: oh yeah, and the only album of theirs I dont have is "at night where the wood grouse plays" (that title is probably way, way off) How is that album?

Aaron

Edited by Aaron
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 12:54

I don't have that either - Weiland's the only one I managed to get back when I had money and didn't order from other countries - but if I remember correctly it's most like Weiland but even less metally and with no drums.

Re death metal there is a lot of complete rubbish, probably more so than anything except grindcore or black metal, but there's some stuff that's well done. Definitely not for everyone but the best way to start is first Cynic (not really death metal at all, and very jazzy), then Atheist (more towards death metal, but lots of instrumental bits and still a jazz influence) then Death's last four albums (not very jazzy, but very techincal and without very brutal vocals)...

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 14:27
Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

Don't mention it. It's an acquired taste and unfortunately a little too conservative and generic (although not as much as one might think). Just don't read the lyrics! And don't look at the covers! Really, I like the music, but that satanic/gore stuff is funny for a while but then it simply gets stupid and disgusting.

Too true.  It took me quite awhile to appreciate death metal of any kind, and the bands I do enjoy tend to be the more... sane ones, I suppose.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 19:46
^ funny, I have the opposite reaction...the stranger and wilder bands appeal more to me. I don't suppose there's any fellow fans of Combatwoundedveteran out there?
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 09:06

Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

^ funny, I have the opposite reaction...the stranger and wilder bands appeal more to me. I don't suppose there's any fellow fans of Combatwoundedveteran out there?

What do they play?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>