Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAd-Block Blocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 06:49
Anti adblocker for those that make the site? We write the reviewes, we attract the audience. I don't want to turn off my adblcoker, I'm never using ads, my eyes are crazy finding the contents from that much crap I wll never use. It is an abuse and will let many of us off. And will elete all my reviews. Fun is gone, I'm gone
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 07:30
Originally posted by poito poito wrote:

Anti adblocker for those that make the site? We write the reviewes, we attract the audience. I don't want to turn off my adblcoker, I'm never using ads, my eyes are crazy finding the contents from that much crap I wll never use. It is an abuse and will let many of us off. And will elete all my reviews. Fun is gone, I'm gone

After a grand total of 3 posts? I have no idea how you could stand it that long. Ermm
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 07:38
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been running Ghostery on Firefox since I've joined this site (not long ago).  I post reviews, and forum messages.  Everything on the site works fine, with no ads or trackers.

Oddly, the Ghostery/Firefox combination does interfere with some videos -- notably the recent NBC olympic videos and NFL videos.  Dunno why.  I revert to unprotected IE to watch those.  Videos on PA work fine, though.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 07:40
I think it is bullsh*t to FORCE people to disable their adblocker. Even if I have to disable it, I will NEVER click on an ad. That's the whole purpose of having an adblocker: to avoid ads. Adblocker users won't click on the ads anyway.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 07:50
Why, no need to make a storm in a glass of water - we have bigger annoyances here.
( I simply use FF with Noscript and all goes well, no ads and no problems)
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 08:56
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

I think it is bullsh*t to FORCE people to disable their adblocker. Even if I have to disable it, I will NEVER click on an ad. That's the whole purpose of having an adblocker: to avoid ads. Adblocker users won't click on the ads anyway.

It's a commercial site, M@x is trying to make money off the site, advertisers can ask for a ban on adblockers or won't advertise. I have no issue ignoring the relatively small ads on the site. Alternatively M@x could just shut the site down if he's not making enough revenue. 
Ian

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 09:25
^ also he could have the option of a premium membership such as YouTuberRed where we can subscribe on an annual basis to avoid ads and have extra perks of some sort :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 09:40
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

As annoying as this may be, please don't raise tensions in this or any other thread.

Everyone is free to disable the adblock or indeed, circumvent it using any tools around, there is stuff like Anti-Adblock Killer lists around like these for example which update the settings of your AdBlock installation.

Just like I said, no need to make too much fuss about it cause it's an technical aspect of the site that can't be changed by anyone residing on the forum here.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 10:07
Just saw this for the first time 3 days ago on chrome.  Immediately after I deleted the PA tab (rather than disable ad block which I refuse to do for any site) I got stung by the new chrome attack scheme.  It generates tons of error windows, locks the browser, then gives you a bogus message saying your browser has been locked due to a security problem, but call this tech support number so we can unlock it.  Obviously a phishing scam, I've read if you call the "tech support number" they ask for a credit card so they can "fix the problem".  Anyway, killed chrome through task manager, uninstalled it and reinstalled.  

I doubt both actions are related but it seemed a very strange coincidence that PA locks me out unless I whitelist, then chrome gets attacked.  Kind of ironic LOL

I only get the PA "whitelist us ad-block" screen if I open a 2nd browser tab to PA and go to the database rather than the forums...very strange.  I've adjusted to captcha just fine, but if this changes and tries to force me to whitelist every time I come to PA rather than just when opening a 2nd tab, well, I'll likely make the tough decision and bail Disapprove

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 24 2018 at 10:15
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 12:15
I now get a pop-up that I have to switch off my ad-blocker to have access to this site. Especially when I go to the album pages. Not on the forum so far. If I don't do it, I cannot view the page. I wonder that it happened since today. Before that I did not have trouble with it. Do others experience it, too?
(Usually I leave a web page immediately if I have to switch off my ad-blocker.)

poito View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

After a grand total of 3 posts? I have no idea how you could stand it that long. Ermm

Who's talking about posts? There are more perceptive guys in the forum but sure you are the fastest.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:26

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Who's talking about posts? There are more perceptive guys in the forum but sure you are the fastest.

Feel the burn ClapLOLHandshake

(I thought you were gone?) Shocked

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 24 2018 at 13:27
Ian

Archer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2018 at 13:28
Cheerio Prog Archives. I will never view ads and will never turn my adblocker off for ANY site. It's a principle worth maintaining and I get get my Prog fix elsewhere. Nice move!

Please can a moderator delete this account, thanks

Edited by Archer - February 24 2018 at 13:32
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 00:58
Same here.
I've been a member since 2006, but I will search for a new website to keep track of progrock-releases.

Edit: I've now accepted ads on this site.
But under protest.

Edited by Kingsnake - February 25 2018 at 13:44
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 08:14
I disabled Adblock on PA but I still get some of the nag screens. I dunno why that is.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 08:45
I did not get any anti-Adblock popup here, though I have on other sites. Maybe some people have been overreacting a bit?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 08:57
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I did not get any anti-Adblock popup here, though I have on other sites. Maybe some people have been overreacting a bit?

That's my feeling. People seem to want everything for free but then don't understand that advertising is what makes it free. 
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 09:10
pffff...  you could have had your cake and eaten too if you had pressured M@X to sell to me. No captcha.. no ads.. none of that sh*t....no nothing but a return to the good old days of the site when all you to worry about was getting a knife in your back..... when those who were quickest on the draw and had the tempers of tread upon rattlesnakes ruled the forum. hah...< -cfasync="false" ="/cdn-cgi/s/d07b1474/cloudflare-static/email-decode.min.js">

Edited by micky - February 25 2018 at 09:11
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 09:11
and Captcha didn't like that.. tried to ding me... it is evil I tell you.. and more intelligent than most on this forum haha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
EvilGnome View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 10:38
How about an ad-free subscription option? AllMusic offers that option and I'm happy to pay an annual fee to get rid of all the ads. I want the site to survive and make whatever revenues they can, but web advertising is rife with security risks and privacy intrusions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>