Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Other than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOther than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 21:47
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

At that point of the thread, nobody is probably reading it, but oh well.
I am very big into jazz. And I mean jazz in general. My favorite genres are the broadly-defined post-bop. Charles Mingus' <span ="st">Mingus at Carnegie Hall is my favorite jazz album of all time. I love free jazz of </span><span>Peter Brötzmann, Ornette Coleman, later 'Trane, Albert Ayler! Also really like cool jazz and hard-bop guitarists Wes Montgomery and Grant Green. Love jazz-fusion of Chick Corea, Scott Henderson (whom I saw live this year), and Keith Jarrett! Love jazz!

Another musical interest is classical music. I generally like romantic, post-romantic, and avant-classical. My favorite composers are Olivier Messiaen, Arnold Schoenberg, Igor Stravinsky, Bela Bartok, Dmitri Shostakovich, but also romantics: Chopin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Szymanowski, Dvorak.... And avant-garde composers such as Stockhausen, Cage, and the minimalist big three: Terry Riley, Steve Reich, and Philip Glass (whom I had an amazing pleasure of handing flowers to when I was a little kid).

I used to be, but still love, blues-rock, English blues-rock especially. Early Climax Blues Band, Steamhammer, Cream - love these bands still.

Recently, I'm big into improv and the so-called avant-scene of the eighties and nineties. Love Fred Frith's works, but also love John Zorn, Bill Laswell, some of the things Bill Frisell does.
</span>

I am a big fan of Mingus, Zorn, and Laswell, myself. I also got to see Sun Ra open for Sonic Youth in NYC many years ago.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 00:00
Originally posted by LostWaxMuseum LostWaxMuseum wrote:

That is both a diverse, and very specific set there, and I like a lot of that as well as some of your dislikes, too.
Thank you - glad to share likes and dislikes with other PA-members.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 14:04
I really dig me some stoner/desert rock along with traditional doom. Bands like The Atomic Bitchwax, Kyuss and others of their ilk have really taken up the mantle of hard rock.
 I spent years listening to various sorts of metal and still do to some extent. Bands like The Lord Weird Slough Feg continue to put out amazing, intricate music that pretty much flies under the radar. The whole NWOTHM movement has been producing some great bands.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 15:38
I listen to just about everything other than country and rap........mostly classic rock (and all the various genres), jazz and fusion, folk rock, and some classical as in Mozart, Bach, etc...when I'm not listening to prog.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 17:09
Smooth Jazz, a wonderful combination of musicianship and thought provoking melodies.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 19:05

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Classical music in a big way; The Symphony (I started a thread on the subject) is my main musical enjoyment; also piano music-sonatas and concertos.
           To paraphrase the late great conductor Bruno Walter, "I could not live my life without Bruckner and Mahler".

Do you like Satie? When it comes to piano music, there's something about Satie' s work that really takes me somewhere else.
I know Satie by name only. Will check him out on youtube.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 05:28
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

You love the term; good for you. I should have written useless or lazy rather than terrible. To me its more like "foreign films" - too broad and well slightly ignorant.
How would you address the problems I mentioned--the problems we encounter if we don't utilize the term "world music"?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 05:33

Classical music in a big way; The Symphony (I started a thread on the subject) is my main musical enjoyment; also piano music-sonatas and concertos.
           To paraphrase the late great conductor Bruno Walter, "I could not live my life without Bruckner and Mahler".

Do you like Satie? When it comes to piano music, there's something about Satie' s work that really takes me somewhere else.
I know Satie by name only. Will check him out on youtube.

Debussy and Ravel are in the same vein. Worth trying out.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 05:36
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

You love the term; good for you. I should have written useless or lazy rather than terrible. To me its more like "foreign films" - too broad and well slightly ignorant.
How would you address the problems I mentioned--the problems we encounter if we don't utilize the term "world music"?

I like the term world music aswell. Also I use the term etnic, folk or tribal to distinguish certain kinds music. Tribal has more drums, folk more stringinstruments and etnic more chants/vocals. But that's the way I like to classify it. To each their own.

I love Malinese Griot music, by the way. Also referred to as African desertblues.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 06:21
Hate commercial Pop. Don't have much affinity with the 80's era outside of the usual Prog suspects, but, some 80's 'products' I admire a lot ;
KAJAGOOGOO (great musicianship, quirky songs, and Nick Beggs - no doubt, he showed his fellow Leighton-Buzzard band-mates Close To The Edge). And keyboardist Stu Neale's first LP he bought was Sabbath's Vol.4 !!
SADE
HAIRCUT ONE - HUNDRED
JAPAN (though they have unique traits that some Proggers may find alluring)
THE CURE (I seem to cringe at Robert Smith's voice more and more these days, though the music is mostly great)
Opera is difficult for me to appreciate (I got Wakeman's A Suite Of Gods, and I dig the music, but not the voice).
C & W - only certain cuts by The Eagles and The Grateful Dead I can tolerate.
Just don't dig classical, no matter how hard I try.

Gamera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 06:43

Originally posted by Gamera Gamera wrote:

Mostly Detroit techno, and a little bit of deep house and progressive house.

This might be the only things I actually enjoy besides everything I listen to which is related to prog.

Are you familiar with Ozric Tentacles? I always thought they did a pretty good job of blending house/techno with prog. Prog you can rave to.

I wouldn't say I'm that familiar with them even though I listened to some of their albums. But the thing is that I enjoy listening to that music from the comfort of a couch nowadays. If I ever go watch DJ's live, I just find a place to sit and enjoy the music, even if it makes me look like an old fart despite being 28! LOL
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 07:09
I rarely step outside prog, but pop/rock music outside of prog I have enjoyed includes The Cars, Heart, The Fixx, and Grandaddy. And the occasional listen to some classical music. I had an electronica phase in the 1990s, but haven't listened to any of that in years.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 07:14
Prog is no longer among my top 3 interests but still a long time member of this forum and still of course enjoy it. 

My favorite music genre is classical music (see signature). 

Probably black metal and death metal would follow. 

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 07:35
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

My favorite music genre is classical music (see signature). 

Same.  I listen to little else now.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 16:11
Everything I like I think is prog related
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
The misanthrope View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 20:01
I also like folk-rock bands like Fairport Convention, Steel eye Span, Pentangle.  Jazz especially Be-Bop, and some fusion jazz like the john Scofield band, and Bela fleck and the fleck tones. As well as a wide range of classical
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 22:55

Not a metalhead, but do listen to quite a bit.  Lots of great "classical" music out there!  I tend to try not to put a label on music, but it does help a lot when exploring for new bands / musicians.  Enjoy some jazz every now and then, and have a guilty pleasure soft spot thing for some indie-rock bands.  Some standard pop / country / rock in small doses.  FILM SCORES Big smile

PROG ON!!!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 01:20
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Sorry I just wrote a long reply and got access denied when posting. It took a while writing as english is a foreign language for me - so this drained all my life energy atleast for a couple of days (I exaggerate a little bit).   
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 13:31
At this point, I really only listen to prog. I like some 80s stuff but not much else. Whenever I feel like expanding my horizons and try out a different genre like, for instance, folk or classical or something, I just don't quite feel that connection to the music the same I do with prog or prog-related music. Besides, there is so much prog out there that I will always have something new to find or listen to.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 13:35
I love Rusted Root a lot, but I'm not sure what genre they are. Traditional American rock? Jam? Adult Alternative? Not sure but whatever they do I hope more bands are like them.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>